Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks"
#282339 - 04/12/12 08:18 PM

Sick Monday. Really sick Tuesday and Wednesday. Decide Wednesday evening I need to get to a doctor. I couldn't breath, not bad enough to pay for an ambulance ride..but enough to need care asap.

Just switched insurance providers over to my wife's as they were the more comprehensive package. This required me to change primary care providers for the first time in my life. I have not seen my new doctor yet. I hadn't seen my old doctor in a while either...

Soo...my two choices were E.R. or convenient care center (same hospital running it as the ER). I choose the convenient care, as it was 20 minutes closer, and seemed the more responsible choice. An ER visit was $75 copay, care center was $30. I thought I made the smart choice.

Diagnosed and treated, it was serious enough to warrant asap treatment, but obviously did not require an ER. After, I was informed that for my insurance to be billed I needed a refferal. A refferal from a primary care provider I haven't seen. For emergent care. My new primary care provider does not wish to issue refferals for patients they have not seen...after the fact.

I might be paying out of pocket for the whole deal now....

After 4 hours of phone work today, I ended up asking blue cross two questions:

"You prefer I go to a convenient care center over the emergency room right?" A: yes.

"Had I gone to the ER and paid the $75 would I have needed a referral or 4 hours of phone work or been on the hook for thousands in medical fees?" A: no.

Lesson learned: Abuse your local ER, even if there are other options. Tell them BlueCross sent you.

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: italie]
#282343 - 04/12/12 08:41 PM

>
>
> Lesson learned: Abuse your local ER, even if there are other options. Tell them
> BlueCross sent you.

And don't tell them you have a Social Security number!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: PokeMAME]
#282350 - 04/12/12 09:33 PM

> >
> >
> > Lesson learned: Abuse your local ER, even if there are other options. Tell them
> > BlueCross sent you.
>
> And don't tell them you have a Social Security number in your best Spanish accent!

ftfy

LEVEL-4

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: italie]
#282351 - 04/12/12 10:07 PM

Quote:

Lesson learned: Abuse your local ER, even if there are other options. Tell them BlueCross sent you.

I'll never say that anything sucks, such as our current healthcare system.

For if it sucked it would be good for at least something. Amirite guyz?

Too bad that the sycophantic poly-ticks wants to keep everything the same while espousing change or decreeing actual reform as "communism". They still repeat that McCarthy Red Scare crap simply because reactionaries no longer have the Cold War and need someone to hurl grenades at frag...the irony is that they're chickenhawks so draw your own conclusion.

Thanks for the info. It angers me deeply that you got burned too. I just got burned today. I've just written a second letter to my supervisors. The first is a full two-pager. I'm tempted to go public.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282448 - 04/13/12 08:40 PM

>
> I'll never say that anything sucks, such as our current healthcare system.
>

Talk to your primary care physician and as them about how bad things have gotten over the past 20 years and how much more worse it will get in 2014 if Obamacare doesn't get repealed!

Do NOT reply to this until you have completed the above assignment!

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: PokeMAME]
#282469 - 04/13/12 11:27 PM

The problem is a lot of people think the government can mandate insurance companies cover certain health care issues and neglect to understand it will come at a cost.

There are a lot of working people who can't afford health care as it is, but when insurance companies have to provide even more care, they'll pass on the costs to their customers.

That will make insurance even more expensive and less affordable and less people will have access to insurance. How that is a good thing is beyond me.

Its ironic the government is trying to force insurance companies to expand health care when they're cutting medicare and medicaid due to limited budgets. They're already limiting the number of prescriptions you can get, and they'll be making more cuts in the future.

Frag if I were working, I'd have been bankrupted at the forth open heart surgery, and God only knows how I'd have health care as insurance companies routinely deny insurance to those with birth defects or make it so expensive that its unaffordable.

Medical expenses keep rising, and there's no easy fix to the problem. The government can't just give health care to everyone, as I mentioned elsewhere they can't cover the people they support.

I'm just fortunate my meds are cheap and when I have to pay for them, it won't be that bad, but there are people with meds that cost hundreds if not thousands of $$$ that won't get their meds because they can't afford to pay for them and the government is no longer paying for them.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Our healthcare system should have let you die. _nt_ new [Re: greybeard]
#282471 - 04/13/12 11:41 PM

Seriously.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

#282477 - 04/13/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

Talk to your primary care physician and as them about how bad things have gotten over the past 20 years and how much more worse it will get in 2014 if Obamacare doesn't get repealed!

You didn't read past the first sentence. I'll quote the first two sentences of my original post that you replied to for a little something that literate people like to call "context":

Quote:

I'll never say that anything sucks, such as our current healthcare system.

For if it sucked it would be good for at least something. Amirite guyz?

I'll admit that I left that open. So I'll elaborate further:

The current healthcare system BITES!

It BITES like a male receiving fellatio from a partner who has dental braces and an undisclosed epileptic condition. Or is really damn cold!

Sucking = fellatio. Fellatio is good! Biting is BAD!!!

So please do not misconstrue my position here simply because you failed to understand what was written.

Cliff Notes(tm) version: The current healthcare system doesn't suck. It BITES! HARD!!!

Got it?

I'll aim for clarity when needed. Don't waste your hostility upon me because it has been proven to be unwarranted. Instead, use it against any asshole who preaches "change" while wanting to keep things exactly the way they are, such as our failed healthcare system or any bureaucratic system for that matter.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282479 - 04/13/12 11:59 PM

I'll agree, but a government solution isn't going to be better. If it was better, than Medicare, Medicaid, and Veterans Hospitals would be better.

Asking the government to "Fix" health care is like asking a demon to teach Sunday School.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: greybeard]
#282481 - 04/14/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

I'll agree, but a government solution isn't going to be better. If it was better, than Medicare, Medicaid, and Veterans Hospitals would be better.

I'm only stating it how it is. I don't offer a solution simply because it ain't my job to. Find a deep political wonk or "political scientist" (that is an oxymoron, by the way) to do that. Better yet, why don't you become an "activist", hombré? Let me know how that works out afterwards, m'kay?

Me? I'm merely an unpaid JAFO with a big mouth. Get used to it. I report. You decide to do with that information as you wish.

--Bekki

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282482 - 04/14/12 12:20 AM

Well you don't want me dead as others do, so that's nice.

I'm simply saying politicians don't solve problems, they make them.

I agree there's a problem as well. I don't think politicians are the answer.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

BTW... new [Re: greybeard]
#282484 - 04/14/12 12:30 AM

If you (or anyone else) doesn't like the health care industry, you should get involved in making changes. I don't think trusting politicians will accomplish squat.

I do support some causes, although I'm not involved with politics or have that interest. A disabled middle aged guy doesn't exactly have political pull anyways.

I tend to support other "better" causes, like ABC pregnancy, Goodwill, Little Sisters of the Poor, Daily Bread, Hospice, Make A Wish, Wendy's / McDonald's charities, etc.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: BTW... new [Re: greybeard]
#282485 - 04/14/12 12:40 AM

Quote:

If you (or anyone else) doesn't like the health care industry, you should get involved in making changes. I don't think trusting politicians will accomplish squat.

And there you go making assumptions again.

Didn't you understand a single word I've written? Is this thing on?

Over yer head. That's where it went. Va-ROOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

I report what I observe to whoever I can. Here. There. Anywhere I can and know about. That's all I can do. That's all anyone can do!

If you think I trust poly-ticks and their infected hosts then you're deluded. All I have are human contacts.

Get it?

So don't make any more assumptions. You ain't Kreskin. You can't read my mind until I blast the bits into the aether.

Oh, how's yer cup?

--Bekki

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: BTW... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282487 - 04/14/12 12:43 AM

There's always more you can do than anonymously complain on an emulation website. By doing nothing but that, you're trusting politicians to determine the issue.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#282491 - 04/14/12 01:16 AM

Quote:

There's always more you can do than anonymously complain on an emulation website. By doing nothing but that, you're trusting politicians to determine the issue.

Yet another ignorant assumption. Can you even learn? Will you?

Who I write letters to is my own business. Yeah. You can tell that I'm at least semi-literate enough to do that.

Besides, I have an immediate problem that requires my skills in social engineering IRL. This place, "The Looney Bin", is merely a window upon my desktop alongside many other windows. And this place is awesome in allowing me to get to the brass tacks so I can hone my professional correspondence within those other windows destined to places you are completely unaware of.

The Looney Bin clears my head. It's also a testing ground to gauge the literacy of the wired masses out there.

What, do you want a screenshot of my desktop? Due to HIPAA I can't provide that regarding the content. Bites to be you. Good for my clientele.

So your problem, right here and right now, is that you'll have to keep making ignorant assumptions. For that is all that you have.

I'll provide you with a solution to your problem: Knock it off!

If you want to know what's going on within the mind of Bekki then ask questions to me via private messaging! Get to know me! It ain't that hard!

Or, for you, are making idiotic assumptions easier than attempting to make a legitimate and honest inquiry? Do you really want to learn or do you need a scapegoat for your imaginative fabrications?

--Bekki

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: another "only me" situation..aka "why our healthcare sucks" new [Re: greybeard]
#282498 - 04/14/12 02:57 AM

> Asking the government to "Fix" health care is like asking a demon to teach Sunday
> School.

Seems to me if I was taking a class on web security, I'd want a hacker teaching it. Just saying.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#282499 - 04/14/12 03:00 AM

> There's always more you can do than anonymously complain on an emulation website. By
> doing nothing but that, you're trusting politicians to determine the issue.
>
> Yet another ignorant assumption. Can you even learn? Will you?
>
> Who I write letters to is my own business. Yeah. You can tell that I'm at least
> semi-literate enough to do that.
>
> Besides, I have an immediate problem that requires my skills in social engineering
> IRL. This place, "The Looney Bin", is merely a window upon my desktop alongside many
> other windows. And this place is awesome in allowing me to get to the brass tacks so
> I can hone my professional correspondence within those other windows destined to
> places you are completely unaware of.
>
> The Looney Bin clears my head. It's also a testing ground to gauge the literacy of
> the wired masses out there.
>
> What, do you want a screenshot of my desktop? Due to HIPAA I can't provide that
> regarding the content. Bites to be you. Good for my clientele.
>
> So your problem, right here and right now, is that you'll have to keep making
> ignorant assumptions. For that is all that you have.
>
> I'll provide you with a solution to your problem: Knock it off!
>
> If you want to know what's going on within the mind of Bekki then ask questions to me
> via private messaging! Get to know me! It ain't that hard!
>
> Or, for you, are making idiotic assumptions easier than attempting to make a
> legitimate and honest inquiry? Do you really want to learn or do you need a scapegoat
> for your imaginative fabrications?
>
> --Bekki

Do you happen to consume a large amount of caffeine daily?

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#282500 - 04/14/12 03:05 AM

> Little Sisters of the Poor

Do they still have a good football team? When I played football in high school, our coach would sometimes tell
us we wouldn't be able to beat the Little Sisters of the Poor during practice. I always thought they must be
pretty good.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: BTW... new [Re: Gor]
#282515 - 04/14/12 05:22 AM

Quote:

Do you happen to consume a large amount of caffeine daily?

No. I'm just logically lucid...to a fault. I'll admit to that but won't apologize for that's how I am. Deal with it.

--Bekki

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Send PM

#282518 - 04/14/12 05:52 AM

>
> You didn't read past the first sentence. I'll quote the first two sentences of my
> original post that you replied to for a little something that literate people like to
> call "context":
>

I wasn't trying to take you out of context, I was just trying to get people to actually call their doctors and ask them directly what they think about healthcare rather than just listening to Liberal media "news" sources. I spoke to my doctor a few weeks ago and I wish I had a tape of the conversation.

What I would argue even before Obamacare got passed was that we didn't need healthcare reform, we need health insurance industry reform! But the Liberals would just slap me down with insults about loving Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Bush thinking that they were going to get "free" healthcare.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#282525 - 04/14/12 06:20 AM

Quote:

...rather than just listening to Liberal media "news" sources...

Well, there's your problem! You've been had!

The one-way broadcast mass media (television, films, radio, books, magazines, newspapers, etc.) is capitalistic. It is corporate-owned and corporate-subsidized. The medical industry, the insurance industry, the energy industry, or any industry that wants to keep things the way they are through promotional marketing via propaganda. It's neither liberal nor conservative though it can "speak" within such idioms in order to pander to the marketplace in order to make money! It's there to provide a voice that sounds good to your ears. A siren song, if you will.

It's that song that drives you so that you're sucked in. In between those songs or as the whole or part of the song itself is the dubious "content" that tells you to buy this, buy that, fear this, fear that, hat this, hate that, love this, love that, etc.

Think for yourself. Dig into an encyclopedia or dictionary. Educate yourself. Learn how things work. Turn off the telescreen and hate radio. Meditate on some serious knowledge as you question everything. Learn something! Heck, maybe even experiment and build something! Write something! Create your own content and toss it out there into the free marketplace of ideas to see what happens next!

BECOME THE MEDIA!

After all, the right-wing gasbags are especially adept at this little thang known as propaganda.

As for the left, well, there's no passion in calm and reasoned discourse, is there? That's why Air America failed. While the facts may fall to the side of the left the problem is that the left doesn't know how to communicate effectively, much less fight.

After all, they're nothing more than kowtowing pacifistic cowards who are willing to snuff their own consciences for the sake of making friends.

The Degenerats are the Washington Generals and the Rapethuglicans are the Harlem Globetrotters when it comes down to communication, unity, and loyalty. The Rapethuglicans should at least say "thanks" to any Degenerat for remaining a token. Wouldn't you enjoy having "opposition" that didn't know the first thing about warfare?

You should. Kill 'em with kindness. Tell 'em, "THANKS!" You don't have to immediately tell them why you're thanking 'em. Use that time to string 'em along. They'll be dumfounded and confused as you go in for the kill. ;-)

--Bekki

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#282536 - 04/14/12 07:01 AM

> What I would argue even before Obamacare got passed was that we didn't need
> healthcare reform, we need health insurance industry reform! But the Liberals would
> just slap me down with insults about loving Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Bush
> thinking that they were going to get "free" healthcare.

Now hang on just a second. As I recall it, the original vision for "Obamacare" had a lot more in the way of changes and regulations for the insurance industry. What we ended up with was a watered down "compromise", after the insurance industry lobby and all of their bought-and-paid-for puppets finished picking it apart.

I'm totally on board with the idea that the law needs work, and I could even be convinced that it's unworkable as-is and needs to be repealed. But if you're going to repeal it, you damn well better have a comprehensive plan waiting in the wings that is better. I have yet to see anything remotely like that from anyone shouting "Repeal Obamacare" right now. The idea of repealing it and just going right back to the status quo is beyond asinine to me.

I wonder if some of these people have been forced to lick insurance industry boot leather for so long, they've started to enjoy the flavor.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#282570 - 04/14/12 08:08 PM

> Do you happen to consume a large amount of caffeine daily?
>
> No. I'm just logically lucid...to a fault. I'll admit to that but won't apologize for
> that's how I am. Deal with it.
>
> --Bekki

Say it loud, say it proud, sister. I just don't know if the board software could handle an in-depth discussion between you and gregf.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: BTW... new [Re: Gor]
#282576 - 04/14/12 09:02 PM

Quote:

Say it loud, say it proud, sister.

My vocal voice is slowly returning. Until I'm 100% there I'll hone my keyboarding, though my laryngitis-fueled frustration adds a bit of cynicism and punchiness to it all.

Besides, I switched jobs recently and still don't have full bennies. So I got taken for $130 at the local MedExpress. The good news is that I'm healthy and the laryngitis is just that. The bad news is that was a chunk of change.

The system needs reformed. It's not about "free healthcare" since you have to pay one way or another. Or, better yet, learn how to take care of yourself to keep your costs low in the long run. It's about making things more affordable while maintaining a high quality level for exams and other procedures.

I don't drink, smoke, or engage in risky behaviors (well, short of posting here :-) ). I like long walks to keep my metabolism up as well as enjoying the neighborhood or the local park. I'm not big on junk food though I enjoy the occasional yummy chips'n'salsa. I'm that way not because I fear death. It's just that I like feeling good.

Besides, I only have this life. It's the only think I will ever know for "afterlife" is death itself. I accept that. :-)

As for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the current healthcare system BITES HARD!!! It just contradicts those traditional values.

Quote:

I just don't know if the board software could handle an in-depth discussion between you and gregf.

It would read like one very long technical FAQ in UTF-8 as lifted from Usenet itself. ;-)

--Bekki

Pages: 1

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5290