View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/10
Send PM

Is MAME Killing itīs frontends?
#357484 - 08/09/16 08:34 PM

OK here is a valid question, but three of the best FRONTENDS for MAME, are already dead, Mame Plus ASH BUILD, Mame Plus, and MAMEUIFX, those three were almos the only windows based pure MAME frontends that were really good as for aesthetics as for functionality.

Why the hell are no one interested in continuin those projects, Mame plus and Ash Build had Screen Filters way back in 2010 before original MAME, and MAMEUIFX were really well organized...

MAME UI for the other hand, is fraking UGLY in all Terms, the IV frontends is even worse, the QMC2 one has so mutch fraking functions that anyone can be lost in that frontend from seconds.

So, why the hell are the GOOD frontends geting lost.........i dont thins full screen frontends like hyper spin are the future......

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: shimazaki]
#357485 - 08/09/16 09:42 PM

> OK here is a valid question, but three of the best FRONTENDS for MAME, are already
> dead, Mame Plus ASH BUILD, Mame Plus, and MAMEUIFX, those three were almos the only
> windows based pure MAME frontends that were really good as for aesthetics as for
> functionality.
>
> Why the hell are no one interested in continuin those projects, Mame plus and Ash
> Build had Screen Filters way back in 2010 before original MAME, and MAMEUIFX were
> really well organized...
>
> MAME UI for the other hand, is fraking UGLY in all Terms, the IV frontends is even
> worse, the QMC2 one has so mutch fraking functions that anyone can be lost in that
> frontend from seconds.
>
> So, why the hell are the GOOD frontends geting lost.........i dont thins full screen
> frontends like hyper spin are the future......

Well, that is a very LOADED question and I will try to answer as simply as possible. The reason most UIs seem to be dropping out as of late is due, in large part, to MAME's evolving codebase to bring it up to a C++14 standard. Since these front-ends are integrated, they also need to be adjusted when code changes happen and frankly the people maintaining those forks are unable/unwilling to continue the struggle. Sadly, it will not be getting better anytime soon for the MAMEUI Windows-only presentation unless someone/some people arise and is able to handle the code changes and keeping the UI code modern. A good deal of it was first designed in early 2000s and, to my knowledge, has been patched up to work in many instances. As more and more integrated MAME projects come to an end, you need to look for alternatives.

There are also other front-ends who keep up with the times such as EmuLoader - you mentioned QMC2 which, admittedly, has a pretty steep learning curve but can handle virtually everything you want to do with any emulated machine. MAME now also has a decent UI now (thanks to MEWUI author contributions) at its base which can handle most things people want from a front-end such as snapshots, .dat file viewing, favorites, categories and more.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Tafoid]
#357486 - 08/09/16 09:59 PM

> There are also other front-ends who keep up with the times such as EmuLoader - you
> mentioned QMC2 which, admittedly, has a pretty steep learning curve but can handle
> virtually everything you want to do with any emulated machine. MAME now also has a
> decent UI now (thanks to MEWUI author contributions) at its base which can handle
> most things people want from a front-end such as snapshots, .dat file viewing,
> favorites, categories and more.

There's some decent QMC2 tutorials as well, and of course Rene's very good with questions.

Jezze
Reged: 03/14/05
Send PM

#357487 - 08/09/16 10:23 PM

If you like the MAME Plus! frontend M+GUI you can still use it with the current version of MAME.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#357488 - 08/09/16 11:11 PM

> There's some decent QMC2 tutorials as well, and of course Rene's very good with
> questions.

I could keep up with QMC2 learning curve just like I did with ClrMAME, but probably because of my old fashioned concept of front-ends I expect a single EXE with maybe a pair of config files. Instead we have a big mess of single filed directories and libraries that overcomplicate things than using the CLI interface. I'm sure any project doesn't need that many dll files and if they do they're already included in the OS. I stopped using any kind of GUI after IV's UIs turned inconsistent and that happened years ago, that should have been around the last MAME32.

On the other hand, maybe it's just me looking for the most concise functionality: listing sets, showing screenshots and info dat display. So now I'm fine with the internal UI functionality.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#357489 - 08/09/16 11:24 PM

We're not killing them off, they're just failing to adapt and advance with the rest of MAME because as Tafoid says, the ones you're praising are all based on very old code and haven't been properly maintained / updated over the years.

As with any support software it is important that it is responsive to the needs of the project it is meant to support, it's a case of adapt or die.

When the support projects simply bury their head in the sand and ignore progress, or attempt to hack the progress out in order to keep their own software running it's inevitable that one day they will fall apart. Unfortunately that is what has been happening with the frontends you talk about; instead of embracing MAME some of them have been more or less actively working against it, and after a while that becomes unmaintainable.

Projects like QMC2 on the other hand have embraced change, have seen where the project is going, have even been proactive in their support, shown great foresight, anticipated what will happen next and planned well into the future with their design. You might not like them as much, but the reason they're recommended, and still fully functional is because more thought, planning and ability has gone into their creation and recent maintenance. Obviously they have an advantage here in being relatively modern, as opposed to being written at a time when nobody really knew just how good MAME would get and what it would be capable of, but nevertheless it remains a true statement.

All you're seeing is legacy code and poor choices catching up with the frontends you want to use.

It's the same for any software fwiw, code always ultimately hits limits and points at which it needs replacing / rewriting rather than just hacking away at. It has happened in the rest of MAME many times, if you look at the project as a whole it is very different now than it was a few years ago, and even with that in mind there are complex and challenging problems we need to deal with in order to advance, things that at the time we didn't consider to be important but are now actually big issues.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Jezze]
#357490 - 08/10/16 12:00 AM

That is what i'm going to do for now

But if project have toevolve or die.................why the hell mame UI is still active with it's terrible GUI?

Haze
Send PM

#357491 - 08/10/16 12:20 AM

> That is what i'm going to do for now
>
>
> But if project have toevolve or die.................why the hell mame UI is still
> active with it's terrible GUI?

There's a difference between active and alive.

I'd argue MAMEUI is neither, it's just a zombie project, but some will no doubt take offence at that.

It's 'survived' longer than the others because it makes less changes from the base project so costs less to ensure it compiles every release, but it also hasn't actually evolved in a long time, and is entirely incapable of driving modern MAME properly.

The others have whole lists of code hacks etc. that need updating and reapplying every release just to tread water, that's extra work, and often is just fighting against the actual work being done in MAME. That's more work and more cost every single release just to go nowhere.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#357494 - 08/10/16 01:08 AM Attachment: Sin título.jpg 368 KB (0 downloads)

I agree with you, in fact, i dont need something like QMC2, because i only want to handle mame files, not Snes ones, no mess ones, fot those i have their respective emulators, i dont want a All in One Frontend that will only use for mame........and for that, i'll better continue to use M+GUI.

If Having an all in one frontend, is the future that mame devs want...then, i don't want to be part of that useless future.

Besides, no QMC2, no MAMEUI, or Emuloader, will be like this screen.....organized, practical, completly intuitive..........and, FUNCTIONAL.

And yes, i will use M+GUI until mame itself make it incompatible!

Thanks Jezze for the tip.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by shimazaki (08/10/16 01:11 AM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#357496 - 08/10/16 02:10 AM

I personally think that it would be a great thing for the community if some new maintainers congealed around MAME Plus's M+GUI project. Not likely to happen, but you never know.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#357498 - 08/10/16 02:51 AM

What is superior with this vs. MAMEUI?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#357499 - 08/10/16 04:13 AM

> What is superior with this vs. MAMEUI?

M+GUI vs. MAMEUI?

- It acts like any true MAME frontend, no longer part of the binary, but a standalone app.

- Because it's no longer made to be part of MAME, it means it can be updated out of sync with it.

- It's programmed to use the Qt application development framework. Accordingly it can be (and has been) ported to other operating systems besides Windows. A M+GUI for Linux exists, bringing the look and feel of a MAMEUI-like frontend to the Linux (or even Macintosh) worlds.

- It's no longer tied to the aging, on-life-support MAMEUI code and is (from what I understand) a complete rewrite, but ending up with a user interface that "looks similar".

- It's still compatible with MAMEUI folders .ini format and whatnot.

- It supported a decent amount of MESS features before MESSUI was really a thing IIRC.

To me, all that is win-win.

As for cons, it was primarily developed by the MAME Plus team, who have stopped development on MAME Plus and for the most part on M+GUI as well.
http://mameplus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mameplus/trunk/mamepgui/?view=log

A few threads have been at bannister.org about M+GUI and there were also some at MAMEWorld back in the day.
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&am...3Abannister.org

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (08/10/16 04:24 AM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Best one was MAMEWAH. new [Re: shimazaki]
#357500 - 08/10/16 04:24 AM

Just saying. I really did like it. You can make all kind of skins.

I wish MAME Team took over the project. It doesn't get any updated anymore. Update: Never mind about the website. http://mamewah.mameworld.net/ change to http://mamewah.mameworld.info/

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Stiletto]
#357501 - 08/10/16 04:28 AM

Well that just means I should have phrased it differently, like how is it superior in Windows for a user. The answer would be it isn't, and in fact MAMEUI is also prettier and requires fewer downloads.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357504 - 08/10/16 04:46 AM

Well, I personally don't see anything wrong with an emu-all project. MAME has always been a documentation project, adding to softlist support, it makes this emulator the most complete game encyclopedia ever.

I understand many find unappealing that many options and half or none of them not working because they still need work. However it's still documentation that some other closed working projects won't share nor it helps many other emus to work properly.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#357508 - 08/10/16 05:29 AM

What's really needed for the general public in 2016 is one downloaded exe with gui that auto-downloads whatever roms and art are needed on a need basis from a torrent but starts in a gui with full game list. I'm not saying that is what is best for preservation but from a windows user perspective, most people wanting to play a few games from their past couldn't care less about nerd details, they just want something fast and easy. Download one file and then click to play Donkey Kong.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Arcade@Home anyone?...... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#357512 - 08/10/16 07:34 AM

> What's really needed for the general public in 2016 is one downloaded exe with gui that auto-downloads whatever roms and art are needed on a need basis from a torrent but starts in a gui with full game list. I'm not saying that is what is best for preservation but from a windows user perspective, most people wanting to play a few games from their past couldn't care less about nerd details, they just want something fast and easy. Download one file and then click to play Donkey Kong.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

What a list of inaccuracies here.... new [Re: Tafoid]
#357513 - 08/10/16 07:37 AM

> > OK here is a valid question, but three of the best FRONTENDS for MAME, are already
> Well, that is a very LOADED question and I will try to answer as simply as possible.
> The reason most UIs seem to be dropping out as of late is due, in large part, to
> MAME's evolving codebase to bring it up to a C++14 standard. Since these front-ends
> are integrated, they also need to be adjusted when code changes happen and frankly
> the people maintaining those forks are unable/unwilling to continue the struggle.

> Sadly, it will not be getting better anytime soon for the MAMEUI Windows-only
> presentation unless someone/some people arise and is able to handle the code changes
> and keeping the UI code modern. A good deal of it was first designed in early 2000s
> and, to my knowledge, has been patched up to work in many instances. As more and more
> integrated MAME projects come to an end, you need to look for alternatives.

Only to clarify, before disappearing again for the happiness of all the ass-kissers and sycophants here and before SmittDogg closes the thread to give to the community the impression they "won" the diatribe...
1) MAMEUIFX is dead only for real life personal reasons
2) Converting the old code to MAME C++14 standards has never been a problem, instead was part of the fun. And easy.
3) FX GUI code is not hacked or at least it isn't until using MAME core functions to retrieve game informations, build the game list and so on is an hack. If so, you should say then that also MAME core is an hack....
I never used QMC2 so I cannot speak for it. I only heard a lot of rumours that it isn't "user-frienldy". On the contrary I continue to read from people that never used MAMEUI(FX) inaccuracies and lies.
Long live to MAME.
Logging off...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best one was MAMEWAH. new [Re: Dullaron]
#357514 - 08/10/16 07:43 AM

> Just saying. I really did like it. You can make all kind of skins.

Dude, don't be dumb. We're not talking about front ends, but UI builds.

Regardless, MAMEwah was fine for 2000, but certainly by 2003 it was obsolete. UltraMAME and Ultrastyle were way cooler. And then you had modern FEs coming on the scene, like Mala and Atomic, with options menus from within the FE - no fucking about with configuration files, no worrying wether it'll fuck you in some way on the command line. At least Mala is still usable. Any of the current FEs probably take a few minutes of setting a path or two and you're up and running.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I agree..... new [Re: Stiletto]
#357515 - 08/10/16 07:46 AM

And several years ago I was on that bandwagon, using it exclusively. The main issue for me was that when another game in the list was selected, the image shown at right would stay the same until you started cycling through the new game's images. I think it also started crashing....

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Best one was MAMEWAH. new [Re: Traso]
#357519 - 08/10/16 11:30 AM

> Dude, don't be dumb. We're not talking about front ends, but UI builds.
>
> Regardless, MAMEwah was fine for 2000, but certainly by 2003 it was obsolete.
> UltraMAME and Ultrastyle were way cooler. And then you had modern FEs coming on the
> scene, like Mala and Atomic, with options menus from within the FE - no fucking about
> with configuration files, no worrying wether it'll fuck you in some way on the
> command line. At least Mala is still usable. Any of the current FEs probably take a
> few minutes of setting a path or two and you're up and running.

Well first he said frontends on the title and then talk about the UI builds on his posts. He never did said MAME UI's on his title. I thought he were talking about both.

Slim down frontends like MAMEWAH and IV/Play is good enough to me. MAME have it own mame.ini and that all I ever need for the settings. I'm not a fan of MAME with UI build in. UI sometimes stress me out.

By the way. MAMEWAH 1.69 13/09/12 was the last one released from Minwah. Then someone else released another one after that with a small fix that is version 1.70. Still works past Windows XP. Windows 10.1 without an issue. All it take is reg the files into the system and doing some other stuff. Only problem is getting the ROM's list made from the newer MAME through MAMEWAH. MAMEWAH won't make the dat file because of the MAME changes.

I gonna let the guy have the thread back. No more post here from me. Ended here.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: What a list of inaccuracies here.... new [Re: Mamesick]
#357520 - 08/10/16 12:26 PM

> > > OK here is a valid question, but three of the best FRONTENDS for MAME, are
> already
> > Well, that is a very LOADED question and I will try to answer as simply as
> possible.
> > The reason most UIs seem to be dropping out as of late is due, in large part, to
> > MAME's evolving codebase to bring it up to a C++14 standard. Since these front-ends
> > are integrated, they also need to be adjusted when code changes happen and frankly
> > the people maintaining those forks are unable/unwilling to continue the struggle.
> > Sadly, it will not be getting better anytime soon for the MAMEUI Windows-only
> > presentation unless someone/some people arise and is able to handle the code
> changes
> > and keeping the UI code modern. A good deal of it was first designed in early 2000s
> > and, to my knowledge, has been patched up to work in many instances. As more and
> more
> > integrated MAME projects come to an end, you need to look for alternatives.
>
> Only to clarify, before disappearing again for the happiness of all the ass-kissers
> and sycophants here and before SmittDogg closes the thread to give to the community
> the impression they "won" the diatribe...
> 1) MAMEUIFX is dead only for real life personal reasons
> 2) Converting the old code to MAME C++14 standards has never been a problem, instead
> was part of the fun. And easy.
> 3) FX GUI code is not hacked or at least it isn't until using MAME core functions to
> retrieve game informations, build the game list and so on is an hack. If so, you
> should say then that also MAME core is an hack....
> I never used QMC2 so I cannot speak for it. I only heard a lot of rumours that it
> isn't "user-frienldy". On the contrary I continue to read from people that never used
> MAMEUI(FX) inaccuracies and lies.
> Long live to MAME.
> Logging off...

Mamesick,

Surely, you have the right to set yourself apart from the "UIs" if you deem it important. I didn't make my response personal to your particular front-end nor was it my place to categorize and give, for each front-end, a particular reason for no longer continuing. What I spoke in reply was a generalization (please note I said "Most UIs" and not "All UIs") when I mentioned the code changes being a factor for them disappearing. You taking the presumption that I was talking about MAMEUIFX or trying to speak ill of your work or you as a person is false.

Please don't make this into more than it actually is.. I'm not here to start a fight but answer a question as completely as possible. I'm sorry that you took this as a personal attack on you to a point where you felt needed to defend yourself.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade@Home anyone?...... new [Re: Traso]
#357521 - 08/10/16 01:19 PM

Is that really still a thing? I haven't heard it mentioned in 10 years and don't remember it as anything but a frontend and racism. At any rate the rules changed when archive.org started hosting the full mame set. Obviously nobody gives a shit about old roms.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#357522 - 08/10/16 01:28 PM

I agree, M+ GUI is a nice and clean frontend.
About Emu Loader, isn't this organized enough ?

I know my frontend is not super-mega-ultra easy to use but, if you have a mame.ini already configured, the only thing you really have to do is select a MAME binary in Emulators Setup screen and let Emu Loader build the games list.

I doesn't support "folders" filters anymore like M+ GUI because it already has a complex filtering system.
It's also not a "light" application since there are lots of files in its folder tree.

Currently, I'm working hard to simplify things in the frontend. To make it as easy as possible to setup and use.
Sadly, over the years, Emu Loader turned into a bloatware application, filled with crap that almost nobody uses, except for a "few" users.

Edited by CiroConsentino (08/10/16 01:33 PM)

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#357523 - 08/10/16 01:59 PM

Quote:

I know my frontend is not super-mega-ultra easy to use

Are you kidding?

Compared to that front end for masochistic nerds, QMC, Emuloader is a paragon of simplicity and all the better for it.

Long may you continue to update it.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Tafoid]
#357524 - 08/10/16 02:36 PM

> Sadly, it will not be getting better anytime soon for the MAMEUI Windows-only
> presentation unless someone/some people arise and is able to handle the code changes
> and keeping the UI code modern.

Still waiting for someone to help me out with that... Haze isn't going to be the one, all he does is troll.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Robbbert]
#357526 - 08/10/16 03:44 PM

> > > MAME UI for the other hand, is fraking UGLY in all Terms, the IV frontends is
> even
> > > worse, the QMC2 one has so mutch fraking functions that anyone can be lost in
> that
> > > frontend from seconds.
> > >
> > Sadly, it will not be getting better anytime soon for the MAMEUI Windows-only
> > presentation unless someone/some people arise and is able to handle the code
> changes
>
> The original question is confusing. Does the OP mean MAMEUI or MAME UI (as in mewui)?
>
> There's a few people (including certain ex-devs), who delight in poking fun at
> MAMEUI, sniping away from the sidelines, but when offered the chance to remedy the
> situation, suddenly change the subject. It smacks of hypocrisy, of people who talk a
> lot and do nothing. Remember, the code is out there, if you don't like something then
> make a fork and fix it. But, no, every one of the useless billions on this planet
> prefers someone else to do it.
>
> Let me make you an offer: I will not release MAMEUI 0.177, and those who like to
> criticise can deal with any complaints that may arise. Do we have a deal?

The thing is, I have no use for MAMEUI, so my motivation to rewrite it properly is low. I can still be honest about the state of the project tho.

Those who like it, and depend on it etc. who are apparently in great numbers should be the ones getting together to rewrite the crusty old code from scratch, but they're not, instead it's rotting and not seeing the updates it needs to properly support MAME today.

I don't know if that's an ability thing, or if it's because the codebase is beyond saving, but those who need to do it aren't doing it, but rather hacking around things rather than adding proper support for them. (The whole hacking out of things to improve startup time rather than rewriting the code - it should be clear from the internal GUI that startup can be fast, little things like only getting data when it's needed etc. all come down to overall design)

Most of those capable of improving it have just written their own frontends instead.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Haze]
#357529 - 08/10/16 04:41 PM

And to add to what Haze is saying: MAMEdev made it clear *years* in advance where the project was heading. QMC2 skated to where the puck was going; others went to where they thought MAME should go and then were mock-surprised when MAMEdev actually did what they said they were doing. It's shameful how many major front ends (including some commercial/for-pay ones) still don't handle the console/computer integration.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

#357532 - 08/10/16 04:51 PM

> It's shameful how many major front ends (including
> some commercial/for-pay ones) still don't handle the console/computer integration.

Yeah.. terrible, isn't it.

Funny how so many users hate the MESS side of things... I really can't understand it.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#357537 - 08/10/16 05:22 PM

Quote:

Alright, fine, let's get rid of MAMEUI then.
Userbase - take note.

Ok hun, don't forgot to close the door on your way out, and take the sulk baggage with you.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#357539 - 08/10/16 05:48 PM

Really can't believe threads like this are still being made in late 2016

QMC2 is not difficult to get running at all. On first run it pops up a Welcome to QMC2 window where you input 3 paths after which you click the check ROM collection and you're all set ready to launch machines.

It really doesn't get much easier setting up baseline MAME with QMC2. MAME is so convenient that it doesn't even require installation. You simply extract, set paths in mame.ini, then off you go. It's a less then 60 second process and people still tend to complain due to reasons I can't comprehend. It makes me wonder how they get torrent clients running and functioning correctly when supposedly MAME and QMC2 setup process is so complex EleGiggle

There's so many superior options when it comes to frontends. I can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want what's pictured regarding M+GUI. It looks absolutely atrocious to me.

Here's only a fraction as to what's possible with QMC2 being practically endless in the ways you can customize it.

http://imgur.com/a/LYn2a

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#357542 - 08/10/16 08:11 PM

> Most of those capable of improving it have just written their own frontends instead.

^
This is what bothers me the most! What's the point of having dozens of personal projects when we could have a consolidated TEAM project here? Since MAMEteam is what the title says, a "team", why not join them to make the overall project even better? I mean, this whole discussion started because nobody wants to give MAME a decent frontend, user friendly and intuitive. Instead, several small groups or individuals wants to be bigger than MAME itself and write their names on their personal projects. This is one thing I really don't get.

For the record, I'm using QMC2 nowadays. Is it perfect? Hell no! But today it's the close as 'useful' as we can get with the current MAME version. But let's suppose that something happens to the QMC2 or other frontend author...who would take charge of their project then? I mean, if it was part of MAME as an internal UI, other skilled enough developers would take care of it and it would keep moving on in sync with MAME.

Edited by R.Coltrane (08/10/16 08:19 PM)

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#357544 - 08/10/16 08:20 PM

a team? hahahahaha LeeeL.... dream on.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#357545 - 08/10/16 08:23 PM

Well first of all during most front ends' development years, that wasn't even an option and even if they did it today to work on what official mame's UI has become, there is no guarantee the changes would be accepted and even much less chance they would be added to the mame team. I imagine most front ends were made so an author could have what he wanted personally as well, not some good samaritan out to just do the public a favor.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#357554 - 08/11/16 01:00 AM

Quote:

I mean, this whole discussion started because nobody wants to give MAME a decent frontend, user friendly and intuitive. Instead, several small groups or individuals wants to be bigger than MAME itself and write their names on their personal projects. This is one thing I really don't get.

I created Emu Loader for my personal use... for my needs. I never looked for recognition or fame.
But since other people started to use it, I had to make changes and sacrifice my ideas.
Otherwise, Emu Loader would be so much different than what it is today.

My frontend is a decent piece of code. It has its bugs but all in all, it works where it counts.
I programmed it to make it as painless and possible.

It's a four steps setup:
1. select a MAME executable
2. optional: change the basic settings if necessary (ROMs path, snap path)
3. wait for the games list to be created and ROMs validated
4. select games and play...

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Haze
Send PM

#357555 - 08/11/16 02:32 AM

> I mean, this whole discussion started because nobody wants to give MAME a decent
> frontend, user friendly and intuitive. Instead, several small groups or individuals
> wants to be bigger than MAME itself and write their names on their personal projects.
> This is one thing I really don't get.
> I created Emu Loader for my personal use... for my needs. I never looked for
> recognition or fame.
> But since other people started to use it, I had to make changes and sacrifice my
> ideas.
> Otherwise, Emu Loader would be so much different than what it is today.
>
> My frontend is a decent piece of code. It has its bugs but all in all, it works where
> it counts.
> I programmed it to make it as painless and possible.
>
> It's a four steps setup:
> 1. select a MAME executable
> 2. optional: change the basic settings if necessary (ROMs path, snap path)
> 3. wait for the games list to be created and ROMs validated
> 4. select games and play...
>
> It doesn't get any easier than this!

still, I'm sure, despite this you would agree that your choice of language is holding you back a bit.

you're having to rely on old components, programmed by other people, which often can't be updated.

as a result keeping the software running on modern tech, with new operating systems can be a challenge.

I'm not saying your work isn't appreciated btw, just wondering if you've also encountered similar issues, your various posts indicate you have.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#357556 - 08/11/16 02:54 AM

I'm a Delphi programmer. That's the language I work with.

>> still, I'm sure, despite this you would agree that your choice of language is
>> holding you back a bit.

So true...

>> ...just wondering if you've also encountered similar issues,
>> your various posts indicate you have.

Delphi 7 compiler is a dinosaur compiler from the WinXP days.
I'm performing miracles with Delphi 7. I've made several modifications to some of its basic VCL controls and replaced many Delphi core functions with improved ones for Win7+ compatibility. They are workarounds but effective.

I'm thinking on updating the compiler to Delphi 10 Seattle. This version is fully compatible with Win10, also has native Unicode support. I'll have to re-write the frontend from scratch though.
But I'll have to drop the most important control used in the frontend, EasyListView. Sadly, the threaded thumbnails view mode is one of the cool features Emu Loader will lose in the transition.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357558 - 08/11/16 03:48 AM

I would gladlly try to use Emuloader to see if it fit my needs, since QMC2, is way to complex to spend my time on, works like the one you have, are woth taking a try, because, you are trying to make thins simplier....so, i'll put my hands on it XD.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357560 - 08/11/16 03:55 AM

MAMEUI prettier?

have you tryed scrolling down the rom list with a background image in the gui?, the tearing is terrifying! and the time it takes to load the romset you have..........takes frakign ages

M+GUI, integrated to mame64.exe, load the romset in just one minute.

And that is just 2 of many things MAMEUI is not prettier for.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

I agree +2 new [Re: Stiletto]
#357562 - 08/11/16 03:59 AM

No one will take care of that aparently, but for me, M+GUI is practically the best frontend abailable, and mame+ was almost the best one.....like i said, it has all the filters years ago, that mame implemented in this month, they were pretty ahead of time, but the constant changes in the mame code, and the anoying frecuently change of romsets, can get anyone go nuts!

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

Yeah of course!!! new [Re: B2K24]
#357563 - 08/11/16 04:06 AM

Teah, and now tellme how mutch of these few steps toy did just to make QMC2 look like that with all the pictures, cabinets, and the rest of it.......i asure you that in M+GUI, is simplier and can have almost the same results.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

- new [Re: shimazaki]
#357566 - 08/11/16 04:41 AM

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: B2K24]
#357568 - 08/11/16 05:33 AM

> Really can't believe threads like this are still being made in late 2016
>

It really is because of how big MAME has become.

I fired up one of the old versions of mame32 (.31). That GUI is *very* straight forward (basically a pick list). You know exactly what to click on to make it work. Roms in the folder, double click a name you are in a game. Finding 'new' games is not bad as there are maybe 300-400 in that version all fairly unique.

You fire up MAME now and well over 33k in choices to be made (with a large mix of clones and nonworking). Even more if you include the console lists. I personally know what to do, but for someone who is coming in new it is very daunting. Take for example pac-man. One of the earliest games in there. There are a few dozen choices just to get that 1 game running (pucman, pac man, pacman, pac-man, mrs, super, handheld, console, re-makes, clones, which is the US set, etc). You and I know what to pick, but that is not really always clear from the GUI. The internal GUI is decent at guiding you around and is probably closest to the old mame32 feel (and officially supported). But it is still kinda interesting to pick the right game.

QMC2 is my goto GUI of choice these days. It 'feels' like a wall of text at first and takes a bit of work to customize it. That is nothing against QMC2 but is the nature of where the whole project is going. It has thousands of systems and software and making a GUI that works decently with that and a 'newbie' can instantly understand? That is a daunting challenge.

I know there is not much to it, but at first MAME feels like a sink or swim sort of thing to use. I am not sure there is a real good way to fix that. That is why people ask 'is there a good GUI'. What they are asking is 'is there a GUI that works like I think this thing should and find the game I want to play and looks pleasant to me'.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: uman]
#357573 - 08/11/16 01:43 PM

> a team? hahahahaha LeeeL.... dream on.

Yes, a team. MAME was not written by one single person, it started with one person and after a couple versions more people jumped in and started helping Nicola with the project. Without a team effort, MAME wouldn't be anywhere bigger as it is now. Of course that a team has its struggles, afterall they are only humans, but in the end, the team effort is what makes MAME this great piece of software we have to enjoy.

You clearly is not part of the team

Haze
Send PM

#357575 - 08/11/16 02:12 PM

> > MAMEUI prettier?
> >
> > have you tryed scrolling down the rom list with a background image in the gui?, the
> > tearing is terrifying! and the time it takes to load the romset you
> > have..........takes frakign ages
> >
> > M+GUI, integrated to mame64.exe, load the romset in just one minute.
> >
> > And that is just 2 of many things MAMEUI is not prettier for.
>
> Those problems do not happen for me. Must be something wrong in your computer.

apart from other people having reported the same kind of thing quite often?

Maybe it's your computer that is the exception, and it really is falling apart on other hardware...

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

#357577 - 08/11/16 02:51 PM

>
> apart from other people having reported the same kind of thing quite often?
>

Maybe you have no clue as usual.

Where's this mythical crowd of people with this problem? You just made it up. Troll.

Haze
Send PM

#357578 - 08/11/16 02:54 PM

> > > > MAMEUI prettier?
> > > >
> > > > have you tryed scrolling down the rom list with a background image in the gui?,
> > the
> > > > tearing is terrifying! and the time it takes to load the romset you
> > > > have..........takes frakign ages
> > > >
> > > > M+GUI, integrated to mame64.exe, load the romset in just one minute.
> > > >
> > > > And that is just 2 of many things MAMEUI is not prettier for.
> > >
> > > Those problems do not happen for me. Must be something wrong in your computer.
> >
> > apart from other people having reported the same kind of thing quite often?
> >
> > Maybe it's your computer that is the exception, and it really is falling apart on
> > other hardware...
>
> You're not helping... as usual.

neither are you, simply dismissing user bug reports as 'something wrong in your computer'

but I guess that isn't too surprising, just kinda proves what I've been saying all along, the project isn't properly maintained.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357579 - 08/11/16 02:58 PM

If I were to speculate the user has part of the blame too. I mean if someone is trying to read 7z solid compressed assets to any frontend of course it will take ages to load.

Haze
Send PM

#357583 - 08/11/16 03:25 PM

> If I were to speculate the user has part of the blame too. I mean if someone is
> trying to read 7z solid compressed assets to any frontend of course it will take ages
> to load.

well yes, that would be a poor use case for solid compression, although a good piece of software would give a clear indication of what was happening.

tearing while scrolling etc. is something else tho, likely something to do with it being such old Windows code.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357609 - 08/12/16 02:01 AM

Yeah One computer only?, of course.

4 computer i tested with MAMEUI and all of them the same results, but never mind, if that was only a bug in my end, how that the same bug does not occur with M+GUI as well?

You need to look carefully more before writing such a statement....in can record videos if you like.

blocking the sun with a finger does not change the problems.

And for the "old windows code" thing.......this just prove that M+GUI is even more functional with windows that the MAMEUI frontend all way arround....even being unsuported by mame, the M+GUI frontend stracts the romset list from the executable, cronstruct a database, and detects the roms you have in a minute..........MAMEUI......for the other hand, being more in tone with "actual mame", take more than 10 minutes, to do the exact same thing....QMC2....almos the same.

You are promoting the wrong windows frontend guys.

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357610 - 08/12/16 02:09 AM

My romset is in normal zip format, not 7 zip, and if that were true...how come that M+GUI do this in a minute or two compared with MAMEUI.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

- new [Re: shimazaki]
#357611 - 08/12/16 02:10 AM

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357612 - 08/12/16 02:13 AM

I'll do, but i fear that in the near future, the executable will be just, unreadable by M+GUI, due to the lact of updates in that frontend, so, reorganizing everything again for managing a new version of mame, is quite a nightmare.

The good programs are being abbandoned by their creators, and the ones that stays are the crappy ones.

Robbbert
Sir
Send PM

#357613 - 08/12/16 02:19 AM

> I'll do, but i fear that in the near future, the executable will be just, unreadable
> by M+GUI, due to the lact of updates in that frontend, so, reorganizing everything
> again for managing a new version of mame, is quite a nightmare.

Your choice. There's heaps of front-ends around, try them *all* out. I'm sure you'll find one that stays updated *and* does what you want.

MAMEUI is in maintenance mode, not under active development. That means minor bugs and omissions won't be fixed, unless I get volunteers who can contribute bug-free code. Also, don't forget, you get this for free. What did you expect for nothing?

shimazaki
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357615 - 08/12/16 02:26 AM

> >
> Your choice. There's heaps of front-ends around, try them *all* out. I'm sure you'll
> find one that stays updated *and* does what you want.
>
> MAMEUI is in maintenance mode, not under active development. That means minor bugs
> and omissions won't be fixed, unless I get volunteers who can contribute bug-free
> code. Also, don't forget, you get this for free. What did you expect for nothing?

In that i agree with you, but, and there is always a but, this just like linux world, so many versions of something that....will be in a cicle of never ending turmoil....if you are part of MAMEUI, i kindly invite you to look for the M+GUI, and see how you can apply this to MAMEUI.......and you'll see that it will become a better frontend than never before.

Edited by shimazaki (08/12/16 02:27 AM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357619 - 08/12/16 03:52 AM

I don't mean the romsets, those load a lot after. The common distribution for snaps, flyers, manuals, PCB, etc. are Torrent7z (7z solid compressed files). So in order for a screenshot to show up on a frontend it has to read the whole compressed file until it finds the archive, instead of reading the header then looking for an offset and decompress the image.

That's the reason I recompress those assets as plain ZIP files. The optimal would be to extract all their content on directories, but I hate having that many files laying around for fragmentation purposes.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

What problems are people having with MAMEUI?..... new [Re: shimazaki]
#357631 - 08/12/16 09:00 AM

I've long been using UIFX, mostly for novelty's sake, but now that I think about it, Mamesick was continually adding new ui elements in line with new MAME features. Hell UI doesn't even have a tick box for HLSL - let alone GLSL stuff, etc, etc......

But as far as a gui, UI still serves. Game folders and lists drop right in and display (I think this is why I've panned EmuLoader, let alone QMC: I want the same display experience as UI). And especially as I don't do MESS, I don't need more than cabinets, marquees, titles, and cpanel at the right.

Edited by Traso (08/12/16 09:02 AM)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#357634 - 08/12/16 10:06 AM

> MAME now also has a
> decent UI now (thanks to MEWUI author contributions) at its base which can handle
> most things people want from a front-end such as snapshots, .dat file viewing,
> favorites, categories and more.

It would be nice though, if the search field of UI/MEWUI allowed to look directly for the game titles instead of the roms names.

EDIT: quoted the wrong person but you see what I mean

Edited by LensLarque (08/12/16 10:56 AM)

Haze
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: LensLarque]
#357637 - 08/12/16 12:33 PM

> > MAME now also has a
> > decent UI now (thanks to MEWUI author contributions) at its base which can handle
> > most things people want from a front-end such as snapshots, .dat file viewing,
> > favorites, categories and more.
>
> It would be nice though, if the search field of UI/MEWUI allowed to look directly for
> the game titles instead of the roms names.
>
> EDIT: quoted the wrong person but you see what I mean

The search can be a little frustrating at times, yes. Typing pacman won't find pacman (it's several pages down the list) you have to type "pacman midway" to get straight to it.

I would have thought it would/should prioritize things where the name starts with what you typed, or in that case, bring it straight up due to 'pacman' being the setname.

Edited by Haze (08/12/16 02:02 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#357639 - 08/12/16 02:18 PM

-----------------------------------------------

Edited by R.Coltrane (08/12/16 04:23 PM)

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/26/16
Send PM

#357994 - 08/26/16 05:41 AM

Almost every frontend out there has a completely misguided idea about how they should work. Long story short, frontends should have no dependency on a particular binary.

Tying frontends to specific versions of software has to be one of the dumbest things the community ever did. It's the equivalent of tying a file browser to a specific file extension. Makes zero sense. Frontends should be binary agnostic.

That's why I just kind of shake my head at the recent enhancements done to MAME's default GUI. Sure, it's cute, but it's ultimately just such a waste of talent. In the real world, even if MAME's default UI was perfected into the most awesome thing ever, it's still just for MAME, and any arcade cabinet or HTPC setup you create is going to want to run binaries besides just MAME.

Edited by ohboythatsmarts (08/26/16 05:42 AM)

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357995 - 08/26/16 05:44 AM

That's the exact opposite of what should happen. What should be done is work on a cross platform program agnostic frontend that can launch ANY program (native software on the target OS, emulators, etc.).

Screw program specific frontends.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: ohboythatsmarts]
#357996 - 08/26/16 09:11 AM

> That's the exact opposite of what should happen. What should be done is work on a
> cross platform program agnostic frontend that can launch ANY program (native software
> on the target OS, emulators, etc.).
>
> Screw program specific frontends.

So you prefer generic trash like Kodi?

I've used it a few times, it makes me shake my head, it's completely unsuitable for complex pieces of software like MAME.

MAME is primarily a tool, not a toy.

Eventually the MAME model will be more one where you have a 'world' / 'blank canvas' and you can drop machines in / out as you want, link connections between those emulated machines, plug in / pull out devices in realtime etc. To do that, you really need a good built in GUI, not some 'launch once and forget' thing. The 'blank canvas' model might allow listening for external commands, but even then you'd need an external gui that understood the needs of MAME, which are far beyond that of 'generic launcher app'

Things like RA might be championing the race to the bottom, trying to dumb down everything, regardless of the cost of doing so, but MAME has to hold it's ground, and keep trying to do things properly, with the real options etc.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#357998 - 08/26/16 01:31 PM

My frontend Emu Loader supports MAME all the way back to v0.56
But since a lot of settings in mame.ini have changed (format and/or setting value type), it's almost impossible to fully support old MAME builds... at least when it comes to change the emulator settings.

Emu Loader can create games list for all MAME versions. EL's purpose is to only have a list of games to make it easy for you to select a game a play. Everything else in the frontend, in my point of view, is just bloatware.

But since nothing in life is certain, EL's focus might change in the future.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#358000 - 08/26/16 04:48 PM

> In the
> real world, even if MAME's default UI was perfected into the most awesome thing ever,
> it's still just for MAME, and any arcade cabinet or HTPC setup you create is going to
> want to run binaries besides just MAME.

There actually are arcade cabinets that run only MAME. And you underestimate the ambition of MAMEdev. We *will* make you not need to run any other binaries.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#358001 - 08/26/16 04:50 PM

> minute..........MAMEUI......for the other hand, being more in tone with "actual
> mame", take more than 10 minutes, to do the exact same thing....QMC2....almos the
> same.

QMC2 has been heavily optimized lately, it starts up something like 10 times faster than it used to. You might try it again.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358004 - 08/26/16 08:07 PM

Yeah guys... QMC2 is the holy grail. It is the most awesome frontend ever made. Totally suitable in a cab, looks ultimate stylish too. If Belmont says it, it must be true.

QMC2 skated where some puck is going... well, yes, now where nearly no alternative is left... wd gj.

B2K24
Send PM

#358005 - 08/26/16 08:38 PM Attachment: salty.jpg 127 KB (0 downloads)

> a team? hahahahaha LeeeL.... dream on.

> Yeah guys... QMC2 is the holy grail. It is the most awesome frontend ever made.
> Totally suitable in a cab, looks ultimate stylish too. If Belmont says it, it must be
> true.
>
> QMC2 skated where some puck is going... well, yes, now where nearly no alternative is
> left... wd gj.

Attachment

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: B2K24]
#358006 - 08/26/16 08:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKzo_AzXTfc

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358009 - 08/26/16 10:02 PM

Why do you continue to waste your time here? Leave to Belmont "Konami God" and Moogly "Autism Level 1" their reign. Do not disturb the peace of the flunkeys.
Nobody killed nothing and even FX, for the happiness of abelenki "Super Drunk... Where's my Dick?", BIOS-D, B2K24 and SmitDogg, will revive again with another name and in another form. I'm not responsible of this but I can say for sure it will happen.
Signin' off....
Yours truly....

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? new [Re: Mamesick]
#358010 - 08/26/16 10:59 PM

Oh look, the mame port lamer king gone internet troll has stopped back by to grace us with an incoherent insult of some sort. Wow.

B2K24
Send PM

IWNCOT (nt) new [Re: uman]
#358015 - 08/27/16 01:00 AM

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358016 - 08/27/16 01:06 AM

Being insulted and called lamer and troll by the king of the sycophants is not a shame, it's an honour. Go, Smitty, go.
You forgot to mention that:
Smittdog dumped "how to kiss an ass in two easy steps (C64 hardware Rev.B)"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#358017 - 08/27/16 01:09 AM

The honor is all mine - even while your country crumbles you take time out of your schedule to swing by and post incoherent nonsense.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358019 - 08/27/16 04:10 AM

Wow Smitty... now you use the earthquake tragedy happened here in Italy as an excuse to continue the discussion instead of close the thread as usual. Well done. Just for your knowledge, me and my friends already sent to the damaged zones a large part of the food we have in stock here in the hotel and that we are trying to sell before close the society and the structure.
Ban me... or sometimes I will come back here to cover you with shit again. It's a good suggestion... take it in consideration.
Cheers......

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#358020 - 08/27/16 04:18 AM

Why would I ban you? You're a joke. Pathetic. Look at the way you "quit". You're an embarrassment. But I am glad to hear deep down there is still a good bone in your trolling body.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358030 - 08/27/16 06:58 AM

> And you underestimate the ambition of MAMEdev. We *will* make you not need to run any other binaries.

Well, there's that. Originally, MAME was what people wanted. Most people still want MAME the most. (Then there are those BSNES-type kids.....) Some folks have added multi-MAME support, but it hasn't caught on with everyone. I think Game Ex still falls into this category....

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358036 - 08/27/16 07:18 AM

You're going to make me not need to run the PC version of Tekken 7 or Guilty Gear Xrd or Street Fighter 5?

As I said before, frontends should be binary agnostic. The world's bigger than just MAME. I run a lot of stuff on my arcade cabinet.

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358038 - 08/27/16 07:21 AM

I prefer program agnostic frontends. I don't use Kodi because it's not truly generic. It's tailored towards media files and streams, and it isn't really intended for video games.

What's wrong with a frontend where you create your own lists, and each item in the list is something like:

1) binary location

2) args

3) label

Is that so difficult? That's all you need. Anything you can do with MAME you can do with command line args anyway, so you immediately support anything MAME's ever going to do once you support arbitrary args in a generic launcher.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Looks like you're the volunteer to do it...... Make it so! (nt) new [Re: ohboythatsmarts]
#358041 - 08/27/16 08:02 AM

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#358047 - 08/27/16 10:34 AM

> > In the
> > real world, even if MAME's default UI was perfected into the most awesome thing
> ever,
> > it's still just for MAME, and any arcade cabinet or HTPC setup you create is going
> to
> > want to run binaries besides just MAME.
>
> There actually are arcade cabinets that run only MAME. And you underestimate the
> ambition of MAMEdev. We *will* make you not need to run any other binaries.

http://www.overclocked.org/OCweare.htm

:-D

Haze
Send PM

#358048 - 08/27/16 02:29 PM

> I prefer program agnostic frontends. I don't use Kodi because it's not truly generic.
> It's tailored towards media files and streams, and it isn't really intended for video
> games.
>
> What's wrong with a frontend where you create your own lists, and each item in the
> list is something like:
>
> 1) binary location
>
> 2) args
>
> 3) label
>
> Is that so difficult? That's all you need. Anything you can do with MAME you can do
> with command line args anyway, so you immediately support anything MAME's ever going
> to do once you support arbitrary args in a generic launcher.

because it needs to be more than a frontend.

the idea that MAME is a 'launch once' thing is an outdated concept.

if you're running a computer / console inside in for example you need a good interface for managing the tapes / disks, inserting new ones, creating blank ones, rewinding, fast forwarding etc.

designing a fancy frontend 'launcher' or anything similar to what you describe has limited use as we actually need users to be able to pull things up *while the emulation is running* so creating reusable menus etc. and a good interface is important.

I'm not saying what you describe is useless, there are situations where it would be useful, but it doesn't negate the need for the internal frontend / interface etc. having decent functionality, because regardless of how MAME is launched there are use cases where you'll need it, even if it's just something 'simple' like inserting the correct game disks when requested; you can't really exit MAME, and reload MAME with a different launch parameter every time you want to do that ;-)

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358052 - 08/27/16 05:20 PM

> > I prefer program agnostic frontends. I don't use Kodi because it's not truly
> generic.
> > It's tailored towards media files and streams, and it isn't really intended for
> video
> > games.
> >
> > What's wrong with a frontend where you create your own lists, and each item in the
> > list is something like:
> >
> > 1) binary location
> >
> > 2) args
> >
> > 3) label
> >
> > Is that so difficult? That's all you need. Anything you can do with MAME you can do
> > with command line args anyway, so you immediately support anything MAME's ever
> going
> > to do once you support arbitrary args in a generic launcher.
>
> because it needs to be more than a frontend.
>
> the idea that MAME is a 'launch once' thing is an outdated concept.
>
> if you're running a computer / console inside in for example you need a good
> interface for managing the tapes / disks, inserting new ones, creating blank ones,
> rewinding, fast forwarding etc.
>
> designing a fancy frontend 'launcher' or anything similar to what you describe has
> limited use as we actually need users to be able to pull things up *while the
> emulation is running* so creating reusable menus etc. and a good interface is
> important.
>
> I'm not saying what you describe is useless, there are situations where it would be
> useful, but it doesn't negate the need for the internal frontend / interface etc.
> having decent functionality, because regardless of how MAME is launched there are use
> cases where you'll need it, even if it's just something 'simple' like inserting the
> correct game disks when requested; you can't really exit MAME, and reload MAME with a
> different launch parameter every time you want to do that ;-)

You're basically talking about a sophisticated UI to simulate physical interaction with devices possibly leveraging things like the layout system, which simulates the physical interface objects of a machine, but I think you're over-estimating how useful that actually is. Commandline args could provision all the individual disks you're ever going to switch to in that instance of the program anyway, and a simple input binding could activate switching between those disks (the "H" key switches to disk 1, the "J" key switches to disk 2, etc.). And if you're doing something really complicated such as basically emulating a Windows environment and wanting to do real work in it (changing an arbitrary number of devices with an arbitrary number of data sources), at that point, why can't you just use a generic Windows or Linux UI to select different disks and so on? Standalone X86000 emulators already do this; it's already a solved problem. For this kind of a use case, a frontend wouldn't make sense anyway; frontends are meant to be simplified entry points to running software. This is the exact scenario where you WOULDN'T be swapping an arbitrary number of devices.

It's no different than the "Reset machine" input in MAME. Yes, when you run a Genesis game in MAME, you don't have a physical Genesis reset button to press, so you abstract it away into a hotkey. Why does switching disks or doing anything else need to be different? Why is "fast forwarding" a tape different than any other input I could just map to a keyboard or mouse control? I don't see a compelling argument for not being able to do everything from the command line and simply controlling physical actions with input mappings. I think you're over-complicating things, and I think you're overestimating what the majority of MAME users are actually going to do with the software. Really, nobody cares about archaic computer emulation in MAME, which is why every non-developer instantly falls asleep whenever someone starts talking about Apple IIe emulation, etc.. Most people just use MAME to play games. The dirty secret about MAME is that the development team and user base have almost completely different and arguably incompatible interests; it just so happens that the interests overlapped enough to get some popular video games running in it, and that made it popular, but there's a harsh line between what developers are interested in and what the majority of its users are interested in. The reason garbage like Hyperspin is popular is because it caters exactly to what a lot of the users want: a visually flashy, functionally simplified entry point to running games. You're a very intelligent person who knows a lot about computers, and I think you need to step back and realize that most of us are really dumb and just want a simple way to play games without having to understand devices and software lists and so on.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358053 - 08/27/16 05:40 PM

Well said. Its exactly this and some of the developers are so techy, that their memories got really blurred.

But the worst is, that no other opinion (about how some hardware really worked) is accepted, except their own. So that their highest aim, the "preservation", will sooner or later, end in a hilarious disaster.

Haze
Send PM

#358054 - 08/27/16 05:56 PM

> > > I prefer program agnostic frontends. I don't use Kodi because it's not truly
> > generic.
> > > It's tailored towards media files and streams, and it isn't really intended for
> > video
> > > games.
> > >
> > > What's wrong with a frontend where you create your own lists, and each item in
> the
> > > list is something like:
> > >
> > > 1) binary location
> > >
> > > 2) args
> > >
> > > 3) label
> > >
> > > Is that so difficult? That's all you need. Anything you can do with MAME you can
> do
> > > with command line args anyway, so you immediately support anything MAME's ever
> > going
> > > to do once you support arbitrary args in a generic launcher.
> >
> > because it needs to be more than a frontend.
> >
> > the idea that MAME is a 'launch once' thing is an outdated concept.
> >
> > if you're running a computer / console inside in for example you need a good
> > interface for managing the tapes / disks, inserting new ones, creating blank ones,
> > rewinding, fast forwarding etc.
> >
> > designing a fancy frontend 'launcher' or anything similar to what you describe has
> > limited use as we actually need users to be able to pull things up *while the
> > emulation is running* so creating reusable menus etc. and a good interface is
> > important.
> >
> > I'm not saying what you describe is useless, there are situations where it would be
> > useful, but it doesn't negate the need for the internal frontend / interface etc.
> > having decent functionality, because regardless of how MAME is launched there are
> use
> > cases where you'll need it, even if it's just something 'simple' like inserting the
> > correct game disks when requested; you can't really exit MAME, and reload MAME with
> a
> > different launch parameter every time you want to do that ;-)
>
> You're basically talking about a sophisticated UI to simulate physical interaction
> with devices possibly leveraging things like the layout system, which simulates the
> physical interface objects of a machine, but I think you're over-estimating how
> useful that actually is. Commandline args could provision all the individual disks
> you're ever going to switch to in that instance of the program anyway, and a simple
> input binding could activate switching between those disks (the "H" key switches to
> disk 1, the "J" key switches to disk 2, etc.). And if you're doing something really
> complicated such as basically emulating a Windows environment and wanting to do real
> work in it (changing an arbitrary number of devices with an arbitrary number of data
> sources), at that point, why can't you just use a generic Windows or Linux UI to
> select different disks and so on? Standalone X86000 emulators already do this; it's
> already a solved problem. For this kind of a use case, a frontend wouldn't make sense
> anyway; frontends are meant to be simplified entry points to running software. This
> is the exact scenario where you WOULDN'T be swapping an arbitrary number of devices.
>
> It's no different than the "Reset machine" input in MAME. Yes, when you run a Genesis
> game in MAME, you don't have a physical Genesis reset button to press, so you
> abstract it away into a hotkey. Why does switching disks or doing anything else need
> to be different? Why is "fast forwarding" a tape different than any other input I
> could just map to a keyboard or mouse control? I don't see a compelling argument for
> not being able to do everything from the command line and simply controlling physical
> actions with input mappings. I think you're over-complicating things, and I think
> you're overestimating what the majority of MAME users are actually going to do with
> the software. Really, nobody cares about archaic computer emulation in MAME, which is
> why every non-developer instantly falls asleep whenever someone starts talking about
> Apple IIe emulation, etc.. Most people just use MAME to play games. The dirty secret
> about MAME is that the development team and user base have almost completely
> different and arguably incompatible interests; it just so happens that the interests
> overlapped enough to get some popular video games running in it, and that made it
> popular, but there's a harsh line between what developers are interested in and what
> the majority of its users are interested in. The reason garbage like Hyperspin is
> popular is because it caters exactly to what a lot of the users want: a visually
> flashy, functionally simplified entry point to running games. You're a very
> intelligent person who knows a lot about computers, and I think you need to step back
> and realize that most of us are really dumb and just want a simple way to play games
> without having to understand devices and software lists and so on.

I'm sure that's understood.

However, just because something is what the majority like doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

As you say, that might sound harsh, but integrity etc. is important, the project needs to make sure it can handle the more extreme use cases well, not cater entirely for the most simple ones; the true value comes from the ability to handle unusual / difficult situations and the people who do put in the effort to learn and understand, and likewise those who have a strong need for them appreciate that greatly.

But yes, the harsh truth is that it's more important to do things right for the 10 people who really need something than do what 10000 people *think* is right. Developing a piece of software like MAME based on 'popularity' is a road to ruin.

It's a very intentional decision, much as things like wanting to create reusable components is rather than have every machine using it's own implementation of something, it's own timing framework etc. etc. We care greatly about that, even if again, users don't and are quite happy to choose an 'emulator' that just glues other ones together without making any attempt to properly share emulation code between systems (and therefore lacks definitive and easily reusable versions of cores etc.) General users don't see the importance of such things at all, real emulation developers do, so yes, again you get a big disconnect between the two groups.

Likewise, stuff like the Fruit Machines are unpopular, should we listen to the crowds of people demanding they go away, or should we stick to our guns and try emulating them. The people who want to see progress really appreciate it, even if the majority start moaning every time we spend time on them as if we owe it to them to spend time only emulating the things they care about. Popular opinion is worthless here too.

I might have had my own disagreements with the team in the past, and often still do, but things like this are what keeps the project going, what differentiates MAME from others.

I don't think your genesis 'Reset' thing really makes much sense.

There's a 'reset' button on the Console, it's a button, we treat it like any other input. That might become more obvious if the input configuration menus end up divided into sections for each device (which they really should be)

Also disks was a simplified example, there are going to be times later when we're going to be wanting to insert / remove many different devices, add additional machines to a running emulation session, hook up specific serial ports on those machines to other machines; to do that you need an intuitive gui, a generic launcher will never handle it.

ohboythatsmarts
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358055 - 08/27/16 06:25 PM

I don't really think it's a doom and gloom scenario. MAME's a great project whether it goes this way or not. I just think it's a waste of talent that could be spent on other things.

I just don't think frontends are that complicated or need to be baked into the program.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#358057 - 08/27/16 10:52 PM

> What's wrong with a frontend where you create your own lists, and each item in the
>
> 1) binary location
>
> 2) args
>
> 3) label
>
> Is that so difficult? That's all you need. Anything you can do with MAME you can do
> with command line args anyway, so you immediately support anything MAME's ever going

You've pretty much described how I'm using QMC2 as a frontend for DAPHNE and DICE.

And yes, I get that QMC2 is primarily geared towards use with MAME. For my needs, that's fine - I can have the three main arcade emulators that I use accessible from a single frontend, and I find that it works very acceptably in a cabinet.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358058 - 08/28/16 02:05 AM

> I prefer program agnostic frontends. I don't use Kodi because it's not truly generic.
> It's tailored towards media files and streams, and it isn't really intended for video
> games.
>
>
> 1) binary location
>
> 2) args
>
> 3) label
>

So basically a batch file? I can do that without "independent" frontends. You can even sort them into folders if you want something UI fancy. The thing is the args are dependent of emulator versions so you need to a) find about them which beats the front-end purpose or b) update them according to the emulator version which makes them dependent of one. I don't think you have clear the purpose of a front-end.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358060 - 08/28/16 02:30 AM

One day I make a "you can do better" comment and immediately I got turned into the frontend's author hate list. People like that shouldn't be working at no-profit centers, they lack hospitality and good manners to do the job.

Also, when someone says things like:

Quote:

I don't think I'll return on the emulation "scene" even when I'll have fixed my real life problems. As I already said here MAME doesn't appeal me at all anymore.

Quote:

I received some PMs at MAMEWorld. Don't worry guys who written to me friendly words. I have the same feelings for you. I didn't answered because I want to stay away from that place at all. I removed it from my bookmarks too.....

Quote:

It's quite sad that some aficionados users didn't posted a final "goodbye". Well, after all this was expected too.
Thanks to all wished me good luck for the future. Don't worry, I'll have it.

Quote:

Well, it's really time to leave now.
I'd like to say something, but nothing comes in my mind at the moment except for a "Goodbye, guys!".
Take care of you and your families.

Signing off...

Giulio (Mamesick)

...three weeks ago and doesn't quit, that would mean he's only an attention whore rather than a good person. In the end everyone gets what they deserve. I can sleep well but obviously you couldn't if you keep behaving like a soap opera villain.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358067 - 08/28/16 07:20 AM Attachment: mamesick.jpg 249 KB (0 downloads)

> One day I make a "you can do better" comment and immediately I got turned into the
> frontend's author hate list. People like that shouldn't be working at no-profit
> centers, they lack hospitality and good manners to do the job.

And people like you, who doesn't have any respect for others people real life job simply should stop to use their father's money to continue to live happy. You have no idea of what you're talking about, you criticized the fact I was a receptionist (which is a respectable job, why not?) without knowing I was also the *owner* with some good friends of the place where I worked for at least 10 years. Be careful with your father's car....

> ...three weeks ago and doesn't quit, that would mean he's only an attention whore
> rather than a good person. In the end everyone gets what they deserve. I can sleep
> well but obviously you couldn't if you keep behaving like a soap opera villain.

I will not close my internet connection totally to make people like you happy. MAMEUIFX source code is now in good hands and probably will be released in time for 0.177. I'm no more the mantainer nor I collaborate. Only curiousity kept me here again and I must admit I'm happy I wrote what I think of you and your ass-kissers mates. After all, I'm a troll lamer.

Finally, about working in a non-profit center, you should ask to these Nigerian refugees from Libia to whom I temporarily gave help in 2014, under request of Italian Police, reserving two rooms for two weeks and receveing only the needed money to give them clothes and food. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Attachment

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358068 - 08/28/16 09:40 AM

> ...three weeks ago and doesn't quit, that would mean he's only an attention whore
> rather than a good person. In the end everyone gets what they deserve. I can sleep
> well but obviously you couldn't if you keep behaving like a soap opera villain.

ahahahahahahaaaaha.... what a cunt you are. then please follow your logic and say this to Haze or Moogly too, as they did the same. time to say good bye, time to leave... bla, bla, yala yala.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358074 - 08/28/16 11:16 AM

See what I mean? You never stated you were the "owner" but a mere "10 years receptionist and part-time waiter" to receive pity from your followers. And what's that "Be careful with your father's car...."? typical stereotyped Italian gangster behavior. I live with my own money BTW, so I don't have to live in Milan from my mother's money a lot after.

People who do good deeds aren't around looking for pats on the back, they simply do the better to feel good with themselves. Given how you fall purposely in front of everyone waiting to be picked up, it's obvious you aren't one of them.

And what makes you think you're important enough for others to be happy about whatever happens to you? You're just another anonymous person through the Internet after all. Stop being a drama queen and man up, you're 41 years old. You shouldn't care for whatever unknown persons tell you, unless of course those are the only access to friends you have.

The only reason I'm replying is because you brought the topic again, after this you won't see me remembering you or feeling bliss from someone's disgrace far away. Unlike you who apparently has no better thing to do than to keep remorse and resent for whatever unknown person you don't know tells you.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358075 - 08/28/16 11:27 AM

> See what I mean? You never stated you were the owner but a mere "10 years
> receptionist and part-time waiter" to receive pity from your followers. And what's
> that "Be careful with your father's car...."? typical stereotyped Italian gangster
> behavior.

LOL, this is great. I was meaning.... "be careful when you drive your father's car"... You're funnier than Smitty....
Again you show you don't respect others people job, I don't see anything wrong in being a waiter and work hard to gain the necessary money to live a dignitous life. You probably graduated only thanks to your father's money and have no idea, from your chair, what means "work hard".

> People who do good deeds aren't around looking for pats on the back, they simply do
> the better to feel good with themselves. Given how you fall purposely in front of
> everyone waiting to be picked up, it's obvious you aren't one of them.

LOL again.

> And what makes you think you're important enough for others to be happy about
> whatever happens to you? You're just another anonymous person through the Internet
> after all. Stop being a drama queen and man up, you're 41 years old.

Final LOL.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358076 - 08/28/16 01:40 PM

> The only reason I'm replying is because you brought the topic again, after this you
> won't see me remembering you or feeling bliss from someone's disgrace far away.
> Unlike you who apparently has no better thing to do than to keep remorse and resent
> for whatever unknown person you don't know tells you.

What are you talking about??? He didnt bring back the topic and well, maybe you are such a big pussy who likes to see his name treated like dirt and like to be mobbed over years. I watched this called "team" over 3 years now and there are some people in it, that define and bring the term "toxicity" to a whole new level. People who prevaricate and are mobbing people like me or mamesick. As this topic is about MAME (or better members of "the team") killing frontends, i can only repeat statements which where told like "MAMEUIFX is considered a threat to official MAME. Everyone who uses UIFX, dont use MAME etc. etc." and that even if UIFX only had a userbase of maybe 1000. You just continue to kiss ass those people, nothing more.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358078 - 08/28/16 02:06 PM

> I live with my own money BTW, so I don't have to live in Milan from my
> mother's money a lot after.

This sentence was not in the original post I replied to, so for FWIW, because maybe it's still not clear to you and all others users here:
- Me and my friends, due to economic crisis here in Italy, lost our money and our job. The society we made was near to bankrupt and the banks didn't wanted to give us more credit. We are lucky we have no debts with anyone but what rest to us is few money each. I have no places to go, I have to leave my current house because I cannot pay the rent anymore. I don't consider come back to my mother's house in Milan a defeat or a shame. She will be ultra-happy to give me help and hospitality for a while.
Looks like you're criticizing also this fact, so yes man, I have resent. You judged with the necessary knowledge of the real facts my job and my life. You deserve only scorn from me.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358079 - 08/28/16 02:12 PM Attachment: CropImage.jpg 68 KB (0 downloads)

> even if UIFX only had a userbase of maybe 1000.

Uh, if so the Team underestimated my work seriously. MAMEUIFX had an average of 10,000+ downloads on every monthly release.

Attachment

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358080 - 08/28/16 02:15 PM

I see you are trying to be offensive, but honestly I can't say or feel anything about it because I don't even know who are you. Even I didn't know about MAMEUIFX except for the casual rants his author does here or the fights he gets on with MooglyGuy.

If you are going to jump on someone else talk, maybe you need to look yourself at the mirror when calling someone an ass kisser. I'm not related to MAME developers, I simply use its software and occasionally report some bugs or point at softlist corrections.

In case you didn't notice, he brought my nickname just because a month ago I told him he can do better with his talent than being a receptionist, however he took it the wrong way and now I'm a memory of his black heart.

EDIT: I also said "Knowing years of emu drama I know it won't be his last words as he states" and look, I wasn't wrong.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358081 - 08/28/16 02:58 PM

Big deal, I come from a so called third world country. We had a terrible earthquake in 1985, a huge economical crisis in 1994 we're all still recovering from and now the US dollar and gas/electricity prices are eating us alive. Life taught us we shouldn't depend/blame on government and move by our own because unlike you we didn't born in a rich country.

If you are not expecting bad words from unknown strangers on the Internet, don't post your life with the false assumption you can't be criticized.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is MAME Killing itīs frontends? [Re: BIOS-D]
#358082 - 08/28/16 03:13 PM

I am sorry mamesick, i just missed typing a zero more ^^ .

@BIOS-D: For someone who doesnt know about the stories being told, i am wondering who is "going to jump on someone else talk". Yes you dont know me and i dont know you, but this doesnt change the fact, why i shouldnt write what was said. Especially MooglyGuy, with his kind of Tourette-Syndrome, prevaricate stories all the time. So if mamesick is bitching at him, it is the best thing he could do, because that person deserves it. You on the other side, can continue cherish MooglyGuy or Haze and thinking mamesick has a black-heart, i know it better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 14465