MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Apota
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/10
Send PM

Joystick Issues...
#227133 - 07/12/10 10:31 PM

I'm using Mame32 with my MAME cabinet I put together, and I'm having a problem with my joysticks. I have two joysticks and they seemed to be configured correctly in Mame32. When I choose 2 player most of the time both players have to use the first joystick and that's the only one that works for both players. Once in a while with 2 player mode both Joysticks will work on some games. I seem to remember before that both joysticks would work on most of the games, but I'm not 100% sure about that since I don't use it that often anymore, but now they seem to work on only a few of them and you have to use one joystick for both people. Can anybody help me with this issue? Thank you for your help and time!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Joystick Issues... new [Re: Apota]
#227140 - 07/13/10 01:06 AM

Depends on the game in use. Space Invaders and Pac-Man used the same joystick for both players.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#227264 - 07/14/10 05:09 PM

Many games, especially 1980s ones, only have one joystick and you have to switch off on turns. It's not a problem with MAME or your setup, it's how the games actually are. You can configure both joysticks to be player 1 for those games, but then your opponent can make you die so

Apota
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/10
Send PM

Re: Joystick Issues... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#234763 - 09/27/10 12:15 AM

Thanks for the information, that's what I thought, but I seem to remember that before like with the game Galaga I could use both joysticks and now I can only use one. Maybe I'm loosing my mind and it was always like that. But I seem to remember to play it with people and we each used our own joystick and we didn't have to keep switching chairs.

Can you give me some examples of what games use 2 joysticks and what games use only 1 so I can test them and see if they are working properly?

With the games that only use 1 joystick how do I configure both the joysticks to be player 1 for those games?

I was thinking about upgrading the Mame software, is there any advantages in upgrading from Mame32 to MameUI? Is it simple to do. Do I just copy over the old software with the new software?

Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#234780 - 09/27/10 05:06 AM Attachment: Controls_0.60.txt 28 KB (2 downloads)

> Thanks for the information, that's what I thought, but I seem to remember that before like with the game Galaga I could use both joysticks and now I can only use one.

You can config the game you refer to to accept inputs from either joystick by going to the tab menu, only downside is then you gotta watch out they don't play with their joy during your turn Example: In the tab menu, choose edit controls for this title, then scroll down p1 up, hit return, push up on p1 joy, then hit return again, and now push up on p2 joy. Now the game will accept input up from either joy as p1 up. See? Do this for down, left, right, and buttons, and then both sets of controls will be accepted as p1.

> Can you give me some examples of what games use 2 joysticks and what games use only 1 so I can test them and see if they are working properly?

There was a file called controls.ini that lists what controls everything uses. I don't have that, and the link I know of is dead, but I do have an old version of MacMAME_controls (v.60) that I've attached that you may find helpful. Aside from that, at MAWS you may select the deluxe search option, and then you can filter by controls. I imagine maws uses some file to reference for this search, which you may be able to find at maws or elsewhere, or could probably get with a kind request to cutebutwrong.

> With the games that only use 1 joystick how do I configure both the joysticks to be
> player 1 for those games?

Answered above.

> I was thinking about upgrading the Mame software, is there any advantages in upgrading from Mame32 to MameUI? Is it simple to do. Do I just copy over the old software with the new software?

When updating to a new version of mame, it depends on how old your previous mame was. NVRAM is always best started from scratch. INI and config same... probably best starting from scratch on those too. Art files may or may not be valid anymore. Sound I think you're always good on... worst case is you have samples that are no longer used. I'd say just download a torrent of all new art/sound support files if your making a huge version advance. As far as your roms... its a crap shoot how old your version is, but you're on your own as far as those go.

Hope that helps.

edit: Opps... forgot the attatchment... heh.

Edited by Gatinho (09/27/10 05:25 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4937