MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/24/11
Send PM

NOOB Needs a little advice/support
#248163 - 03/06/11 11:47 PM

I just acquired an old cabinet which still works except for a power issue. Everything else stills works. Is there a way to MAME this thing but still use the existing arcade monitor that is currently in it?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: NOOB Needs a little advice/support new [Re: weedsmacker]
#248165 - 03/07/11 12:24 AM

> I just acquired an old cabinet which still works except for a power issue. Everything
> else stills works. Is there a way to MAME this thing but still use the existing
> arcade monitor that is currently in it?

Yes. Search the forums/google for Jpac, ArcadeVga, and Soft 15Khz, lots of good info.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: NOOB Needs a little advice/support new [Re: italie]
#248375 - 03/09/11 01:39 AM

OK, thanks. I will look into that. We just got the cab home. It's actually an old PacMan cab which was converted to Commando which worked before we loaded it but is DOA. Not even a click or hum when it's plugged in. I'm fairly green on this side of electronics so I will try to get a model number and any other info I may need to determine what will be the best route to go.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248446 - 03/10/11 01:51 AM

OK, I probed around looking to see if I could see a model or anything and all I could see was a sticker with some faded type. I just peeled it off and all info is still readable. I thought arcade monitors ran on 15hz, but this is what the tag info says:
MFD by: electrohome electronics
model: 19" colormon
product no. 38-G07904-30
chassis: G07080
serial no. 8432906
mfd november 29, 1984
120 volts
hertz 50/60HZ

Can anyone help me out with this? This thing is about 27 years old. Would it be worth the time and money to hook into or just as well off to use an old 22" tube tv or monitor? Like I said, im still a noob doing a ton of reading so any advice would be much appreciated.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248454 - 03/10/11 03:25 AM

> OK, I probed around looking to see if I could see a model or anything and all I could
> see was a sticker with some faded type. I just peeled it off and all info is still
> readable. I thought arcade monitors ran on 15hz, but this is what the tag info says:
> MFD by: electrohome electronics
> model: 19" colormon
> product no. 38-G07904-30
> chassis: G07080
> serial no. 8432906
> mfd november 29, 1984
> 120 volts
> hertz 50/60HZ
>
> Can anyone help me out with this? This thing is about 27 years old. Would it be worth
> the time and money to hook into or just as well off to use an old 22" tube tv or
> monitor? Like I said, im still a noob doing a ton of reading so any advice would be
> much appreciated.

G07 chassis, there are 2 or 3 main flavors of it. Easy to work on. Caps, cold solders, and flyback are common faults.

Before attempting repair on the thing, or even conversion, try to assess what is wrong with it now. A multimeter is going to be a must. If you don't have one, pick up a cheap one at radio shack (if they still sell them...)

Take a few shots of the innards and we can tell you where to poke and prod. You said it was converted into a commando, so it probably has some wire alterations done already.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248558 - 03/11/11 01:42 AM Attachment: DSCF0600.JPG 1548 KB (1 downloads)

Here are a few shots of the inside. Not the greatest but may do.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248560 - 03/11/11 01:52 AM Attachment: DSCF0604.JPG 2132 KB (1 downloads)

And one more. I don't think I am able to attach more than one file???

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248565 - 03/11/11 03:18 AM

> And one more. I don't think I am able to attach more than one file???

G07-CBO chassis. Very common, should do just fine.

First, address the power issue. Check to ensure all of your "dead man" switches are pulled out or pushed in. These are the white rectangular switches with 4 wires at the back, and a round pole in the middle front. I can see one in the middle right of your images, and there might be one more at the coin door. These are active when pushed in, or pulled out. When they are in their middle state, they kill all power to the machine. Yours may only have two states, pushed in or middle. If that is the case you'd need to make sure they are pushed in (by a door making contact with them) or put a piece of duct tape over them to keep them down.

If you are sure the dead man switches are in an enabled state, now check your main power switch. This will be located on the outer top of your cabinet, should be silver.

If you still don't have power, put your multi meter leads on the bottom two wires of that skinny blue "brick" power supply and check for 120V AC (or close to it, 110-130V AC). If you have power there, your cabinet is "On". This is good.

Next check your DC Voltage outputs on the blue brick power supply. Put the black multimeter lead on the GND terminal (either of the two marked), and then place the red multimeter lead on +5V DC, and +12V DC outputs to check for power there. If you have power at these terminals, you have logic power to your PCB. This is good.

Next check for AC power at the monitor. There is a clearish/whitish two pin molex connector with black wires going from the bottom transformer to your monitor. Stick your multimeter leads in the back of the connector and try to touch the metal portion inside. If you can't do that, you may have to unplugg the connector and check the end coming from the transformer at the bottom of the cabinet. You should see between 100-110 V AC coming from that connection.

If you have power in all of those places you have either a monitor or PCB issue. If you are missing a voltage in any of the places just checked, post where and we can go through troubleshooting/repair steps.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248646 - 03/12/11 04:25 AM

Alright. We are back in action. Found a small fault and fixed it. The game loads up just fine. The coin/credit switch does not work, so now to try and figure that out. Everything is wired up to the two coin slots, but I don't know if they are correct or not. Seems to be an awful maze of wires up there lol. Will see if I can figure something out this weekend. The good thing about this is that I will know my machine very well. All but the tube I don't really want to muck with, and fortunately it works great. Any suggestions to try on the credit mechanism would be appreciated. Thanks so far. If I get this working, I may just refurbish this cab, order some Commando decals and build another cab for mame based on the design of this one, it's pretty straight forward.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248757 - 03/13/11 08:38 PM Attachment: DSCF0606.JPG 1690 KB (1 downloads)

OK,,update,,I went today to see if I could investigate the coin operation, but when I turned on, I noticed a loud hissing from the anode. I discharged the monitor, removed the cap and noticed the cup was damaged. I replaced with one from an old monitor I had, booted up and this is the screen that keeps coming up now. NOTE: this is the screen that come up before I discharged and replaced the cap. Could this be a board issue rather than a monitor issue?

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248783 - 03/14/11 03:24 AM

> OK,,update,,I went today to see if I could investigate the coin operation, but when I
> turned on, I noticed a loud hissing from the anode. I discharged the monitor, removed
> the cap and noticed the cup was damaged. I replaced with one from an old monitor I
> had, booted up and this is the screen that keeps coming up now. NOTE: this is the
> screen that come up before I discharged and replaced the cap. Could this be a board
> issue rather than a monitor issue?

I would say board issue, either a bad/mis-seated RAM, a bad/mis-seated EEPROM, or your voltages are a little low. Could be other thins to, but those are the usual culprits to check first.

If those boards have ribbon cables, make sure they are secure as well.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248861 - 03/15/11 01:23 AM

I took the boards out today and reseated all the chips i could. Still the same. Not sure which is the ram but i read somewhere it is quite difficult to tell if its faulty. Seeing as it is cheap, it may not hurt to replace it anyway, just is though I don't know which my board takes.

Edited by weedsmacker (03/15/11 01:24 AM)

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#248863 - 03/15/11 01:44 AM

> I took the boards out today and reseated all the chips i could. Still the same. Not
> sure which is the ram but i read somewhere it is quite difficult to tell if its
> faulty. Seeing as it is cheap, it may not hurt to replace it anyway, just is though I
> don't know which my board takes.

How was your +5 voltage? Measure it at the board if possible, be sure it's around 5-5.2V

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#248967 - 03/16/11 12:09 AM

Checked all the voltages. Seem ok.

weedsmacker
MAME Fan
Send PM

#249057 - 03/17/11 01:07 AM

Found a busted capacitor. Will be replacing it tomorrow. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3363