MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

guppy
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/23/09
Loc: Fort Worth
Send PM

Soft-on button to power up entire cabinet
#253913 - 05/07/11 06:05 PM

I need your input before I go re-inventing the wheel. I need a drawing and pictures. I want to press a "SINGLE" button that will turn on the lights to the cabinet and boot the pc. I was thinking of an arcade button which will connect to the pc's power-on button (the two copper headers on the motherboard). Since the pc has 120v all the time, this will boot the pc. Then if I ran 12v from one of the pc's power supplies molex connector to a relay mounted outside the pc. The relay will turn on 120v to the marquee and cabinet fans.

Would a simple automotive bosch relay work for this? Has anyone done something like this before, is there an easier way?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Soft-on button to power up entire cabinet new [Re: guppy]
#253920 - 05/07/11 07:50 PM

An automotive relay is not meant for 120V. Use a relay that is rated 12VDC coil and capable of switching 120V and the current that you need to switch. Something like this...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062481

guppy
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/23/09
Loc: Fort Worth
Send PM

Re: Soft-on button to power up entire cabinet new [Re: redk9258]
#253923 - 05/07/11 08:13 PM

> An automotive relay is not meant for 120V. Use a relay that is rated 12VDC coil and
> capable of switching 120V and the current that you need to switch. Something like
> this...
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062481

The bosch relay has a 12vdc coil and the contacts are rated for 30A. I dont think the contacts care weather it is AC or DC as long as the current does not exceed 30A. The relay that you linked is like a bosch relay, except the contacts are only rated for 1A. If I am missing something please chime in.

http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Relay-SPDT-Formerly-Bosch/dp/B000P61E36

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#253924 - 05/07/11 08:35 PM

Maybe the DC relay will not like have noisy AC near the coil. Try it, if it works, great. If not buy a relay that suits the application.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Dude. MW is not the place for this kind of info..... new [Re: guppy]
#253974 - 05/08/11 05:35 AM

It used to be, but there just isn't enough traffic, and obviously you haven't thought to use the search engine.

So. Go on over to arcadecontrols.com (this sub-forum should really re-direct to there, this one here is so obsolete), and be good'un an read the wiki. You might need to look for it - there's lots of links on the site to confuse green horns - and, if necessary, use the search engine there (arguably not the best, but it ain't bad, lately). Do it now, move.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#254005 - 05/08/11 03:58 PM

> I need your input before I go re-inventing the wheel. I need a drawing and pictures.
> I want to press a "SINGLE" button that will turn on the lights to the cabinet and
> boot the pc. I was thinking of an arcade button which will connect to the pc's
> power-on button (the two copper headers on the motherboard). Since the pc has 120v
> all the time, this will boot the pc. Then if I ran 12v from one of the pc's power
> supplies molex connector to a relay mounted outside the pc. The relay will turn on
> 120v to the marquee and cabinet fans.
>
> Would a simple automotive bosch relay work for this? Has anyone done something like
> this before, is there an easier way?

Use a smart strip type multi-socket. You plug the PC into the 'hot' socket and wire an arcade pushbutton to the motherboard power connector. Plug everything else into the other sockets on the smartstrip.

When you power on the PC the smartstrip will power up anything else plugged into it. When you turn the PC off, likewise everything else shuts down.

Quick, easy, effective.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Soft-on button to power up entire cabinet new [Re: FatTrucker]
#254010 - 05/08/11 05:02 PM

> Use a smart strip type multi-socket. You plug the PC into the 'hot' socket and wire
> an arcade pushbutton to the motherboard power connector. Plug everything else into
> the other sockets on the smartstrip.
>
> When you power on the PC the smartstrip will power up anything else plugged into it.
> When you turn the PC off, likewise everything else shuts down.
>
> Quick, easy, effective.

Great idea! +1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Soft-on button to power up entire cabinet new [Re: redk9258]
#254044 - 05/09/11 01:18 AM

> > Use a smart strip type multi-socket. You plug the PC into the 'hot' socket and wire
> > an arcade pushbutton to the motherboard power connector. Plug everything else into
> > the other sockets on the smartstrip.
> >
> > When you power on the PC the smartstrip will power up anything else plugged into
> it.
> > When you turn the PC off, likewise everything else shuts down.
> >
> > Quick, easy, effective.
>
> Great idea! +1

Smart strip - versus Smart Strip. Mine's CyberPower; twenty bucks with tax, found it at Walmart, and no funky voltage attentuation gig to deal with. Thing just works.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3657