MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ShadeValryn
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/11
Send PM

What joystick acts like a gamepad analog stick?
#264688 - 09/14/11 07:38 PM

Most analog sticks and their movements are switches that are on or off, if I wanted sticks that can detect the difference between subtle and harsh movement, what are they? I plan on building a quad cabinet and I want these sticks to be capable of playing anything I throw at them.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: What joystick acts like a gamepad analog stick? new [Re: ShadeValryn]
#264691 - 09/14/11 08:27 PM

> Most analog sticks and their movements are switches that are on or off.

No, analog sticks don't use switches. You are talking about digital controls.

> if I wanted sticks that can detect the difference between subtle and harsh movement, what are they?

Analog, but...

I plan on building a quad cabinet and I want these sticks to be capable of
> playing anything I throw at them.

...analog joysticks are going to suck for games that were designed for digital controls, like Pac Man for example. You cannot make Pac Man move at variable speeds simply by plugging in an analog joystick, the game does not understand analog controls.
The joystick you want does not exist, it can't be analog and digital at the same time.

S

ShadeValryn
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/11
Send PM

Re: What joystick acts like a gamepad analog stick? new [Re: Sune]
#264711 - 09/15/11 04:04 AM

I know the game itself won't change whether or not it will respond to slow and harsh movement. After looking into it all day, I'm just wondering if this: http://na.suzohapp.com/joysticks/50287600.htm
would be able to get me up and playing pac man, as well as being able to walk AND run in smash bros.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: What joystick acts like a gamepad analog stick? new [Re: ShadeValryn]
#267221 - 10/25/11 05:47 PM

That stick would work in conjunction with a proper interface board like the A-PAC

HOWEVER, I honestly think once you get it configured and running, you'll find that it's great for flight games (afterburner, air combat, space harrier, etc) but confusing as hell for Donkey Kong and such unless you can assign "dead zones" properly. These are two very different controllers in purpose. It's sort of like playing Arkanoid with a steering wheel. It's possible, but it's not gonna feel right and make the games harder to play.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3195