View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

CPU Upgrade and architectur question
#271621 - 12/28/11 12:56 AM

Hey. Got a 1.86GHz Intel Core2Duo with a 64-bit OS and 64-bit MAME and I'm sat wonder whether to go with a higer clock rate and/or go to quad core. Mostly this CPU does what I want (1080p HD video, Play DDR at a playable speed, ect) and the only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is for MAME games or for any future projects. MAME wise, I wish I was able to play DDR without having the intro video make the auto-frameskip kick it up to 8/9 to have it barely play full speed, as otherwise the game itself runs fairly ok at no frameskip, though occasionally it drops. Future project wise would include virtualization or maybe game usage.

The other question I have, is that since upgrading from 32-bit board and Win to 64-bit board and Win, I seem to have lost the ability to control the data lines on the parallel port directly using MAME Hooker. At first I thought it was Vista but it even does it on Windows 7 and on a second 64-bit board, even if 32-Bit seems to work fine. Has Windows changed and stopped something from allowing this to work?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

sz72
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/20/07
Send PM

Re: CPU Upgrade and architectur question new [Re: Naoki]
#271875 - 12/31/11 01:43 PM

> The other question I have, is that since upgrading from 32-bit board and Win to
> 64-bit board and Win, I seem to have lost the ability to control the data lines on
> the parallel port directly using MAME Hooker. At first I thought it was Vista but it
> even does it on Windows 7 and on a second 64-bit board, even if 32-Bit seems to work
> fine. Has Windows changed and stopped something from allowing this to work?

32bit applications that do low level hardware access or install and use their own 32bit drivers must be rewritten to work on a 64bit operating system

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: CPU Upgrade and architectur question new [Re: sz72]
#271879 - 12/31/11 03:27 PM

Ah right then, fair enough then.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2531