MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/10/12
Send PM

new here and need some guidance.
#282009 - 04/10/12 06:44 AM Attachment: IMG_7157.jpg.jpeg 286 KB (1 downloads)

hey everyone im new here and im hoping to learn a bit from asking some questions..in advance if im posting in the wrong place i appologize and i will do my best to adapt quickly. i just got my first cab this weekend. umk3 1.1 wolf unit. its not a dedicated but it was a steal for 100 bucks. my full intentions are to do a full teardown and restore. ill be pulling all the internals and using them for a supergun jamma board tester. what i have in mind is using an i5 computer of some sort..most likely dell with windows 7 or xp..hate vista. i would love to keep the original monitor but that seems very extensive unless someone can give me the tutorial on that. i want to use hyperspin as my front end or maximus. whichever is more user friendly. ive already ordered my xarcade tankstiks because they are plug and play via usb and seem to look clean and userfriendly with the trackball. i will mainly be playing fighters mk ki and street fighter but the cpus harddrive is 1 tera so ill be packing it full with psx and all the other emus there are. i also want to have a ps2 controller that can be used at all times when im not feeling like fighting a joystick or when i just wanna play some ff7 ect but still be at the cab. of coursr lightguns for area51 time crisis ect but no steering wheels..minus the one ps2 controller i want it as clean as possible. im hoping from what ive said someone can get me started..any help would be appreciated and yes if my name frznsldr is familar im also on rawmk2 and have many mk2 vids on youtube..im that guy.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: new here and need some guidance. new [Re: frznsldr]
#282012 - 04/10/12 07:01 AM

Congrats on the purchase but it's my opinion that you're just wasting a cab for some PSX emulation that you can do with a computer and WS display OR a PS3 console with games bought from PSN that's hooked to a HDTV. I don't really understand your goal here

If anything you should simply make a dedicated MAME cab assuming everything in that still works or whatever doesn't work then get some working parts.

No other kind of emulation is more fun than MAME on a well designed cab IMO.

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: new here and need some guidance. new [Re: B2K24]
#282013 - 04/10/12 07:10 AM

i plan on using it mainly to play mame with kaillera. i play alot of online mk2 and i figured it would be more nostalgic playing someone i didnt know using a cab . but i want the other emus there just because the cpu im buying will hold them and i wont feel justified not being able to play any game i dream of after paying 600 bucks for a cpu. so basically i want the cab ready for any game i want incase i get the urge to play sega snes psx ect..and i want a ps2 controller plugged in via usb at all times just incase im not wanting to stand there and use a joystick.

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282014 - 04/10/12 07:15 AM

u also said something about a dedicated mame cab and me using whats good in the cab. this may sound stupid but aside from the monitor and buttons/joysticks doesnt everything come out and get replaced with a cpu..jamma board harness power supply arcade power supply ect...like pretty much gutted. what part of the jamma stuff would be worth keeping in if im using a computer to do everything that stuff used to do.

B2K24
Send PM

#282017 - 04/10/12 07:46 AM

> i plan on using it mainly to play mame with kaillera. i play alot of online mk2 and i
> figured it would be more nostalgic playing someone i didnt know using a cab . but i
> want the other emus there just because the cpu im buying will hold them and i wont
> feel justified not being able to play any game i dream of after paying 600 bucks for
> a cpu. so basically i want the cab ready for any game i want incase i get the urge to
> play sega snes psx ect..and i want a ps2 controller plugged in via usb at all times
> just incase im not wanting to stand there and use a joystick.

You don't need anything close to an i5 for running all that 100%

B2K24
Send PM

#282018 - 04/10/12 07:53 AM

> u also said something about a dedicated mame cab and me using whats good in the cab.
> this may sound stupid but aside from the monitor and buttons/joysticks doesnt
> everything come out and get replaced with a cpu..jamma board harness power supply
> arcade power supply ect...like pretty much gutted. what part of the jamma stuff would
> be worth keeping in if im using a computer to do everything that stuff used to do.

I have never personally built one so I'm not an expert on that. The monitor and cpanel working is a very good thing. You just need an IPAC and ArcadeVGA then get everything connected to a computer then off you go.

You're certainly free to do whatever you wish with your stuff, but if it were me, I would simply make it MAME only and forget about the other stuff. You can always add other stuff later if needed and hyperspin is really good for a cab, except it takes tons of setup time. Maybe when HS 2.0 is released in a few months it might be easier.

If you're putting a trackball on your unit you should consider giving GameEX a look

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282019 - 04/10/12 08:08 AM

really? i just walked into bestbuy and found a salesperson that knew about mame and tokd him i needed a cpu that would run evry mane game and every other emulator there was without any slodown or lag and that would have enough space to hold it and he said to get an i5 and i would never have to worry about anything. if i can get something cheaper im all ears.

B2K24
Send PM

#282020 - 04/10/12 08:31 AM

MAME and most all other emulators out there do not take advantage of more than 2 cores unless your compiling, which doesn't relate to game playing.

An i3 would be just fine if you want latest tech. OR A Dual core Intel wolfdale E6XXX or E7XXX @ 3 or 3.2 GHZ is the sweet spot because you can O/C them to 4 GHZ easily.

However, it helps if you can build your rig from scratch because most retail pre-built units are trash and use low quality parts.

I haven't looked at AMD for many generations since like socket 9XX lol and they preform worse on emulation, so I would suggest to stay away from those.

Anyway, any Dual core Intel @ 3.0 GHZ is plenty good enough IMO unless you have cash to burn and want the fastest out there.

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282021 - 04/10/12 08:38 AM

thanks ill definately check some dual cores out. ive just heard alot of people say ki1 and 2 need quite a bit of ram to run fullspeed.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#282034 - 04/10/12 04:27 PM

I see he mentioned Hyperspin as a possible FE choice,just to let you know,HS works well with both trackballs & spinner controls (Ikari Warriors).

If he is going with a corei series processor,it is kind of a waste to use GameEX,especially with HS 2.0 so close to release.

Ive built a few cabs recently,so if you get stumped please feel free to ask away,you can find me here and on the HS forums,same screen name. Good luck

Also,like B2K said, a i3 2100 would be just fine for what you are doing\looking for.You can get a i3 and a msi7680 MB for under $200

Edited by mesk (04/10/12 04:30 PM)

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: new here and need some guidance. new [Re: mesk]
#282057 - 04/10/12 08:28 PM

okay now that weve covered computer requirements can u guys give me some info on the controller setup im going for..i will mainly be using the xarcade for players one and 2 but i want to be able to have to ps2 controllers wired as well that are either hardwired in with the xarcade or either plugged in with them via usb splitter..i dont want to have run drivers everytime i turn on the cab. i want to be able to switch from joystick to ps2 controller on the fly..and will hyperspin save my button layouts i choose for default controls? mk2 configurations work best for me with almost every fighter..im trying to avoid having to change every button configuration for every game independently. sorry if im getting yall confused btw.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#282061 - 04/10/12 09:34 PM

I definitely wouldn't pull out the guts and rewire. I would use whatever PAC kits are needed to where you simply plug your computer into the Jamma adapter. Then you still have the option of playing Jamma boards on there, which you might not appreciate on day 1 of cab making but eventually it's an option you might like even more than the MAME PC. Xarcade isn't going to offer anything new but a trackball from the looks of it and they probably still use the rather shitty Happ Competition joysticks. Those are only good for MK games. Sanwa or Seimitsu are magnitudes better for universal sticks and you pretty much need to go shorter and shorter on the throw depending on how many shooting games you play compared to fighters. I think if you got good sticks you would not be interested in a PS2 pad anymore. Happ Comps suck bad as a universal solution. The throw size is disgusting.

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: new here and need some guidance. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#282062 - 04/10/12 09:47 PM

the jamma pac adapters seem very difficult to use imo..im computer literate but this jamma stuff is very new to me. if u could break down wht ur saying in dummy terms i would appreciate it

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282064 - 04/10/12 09:55 PM

I would if I had one. You could try our Ultimarc board. It can't be any harder than setting up a supergun which you are already planning.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#282105 - 04/11/12 05:46 AM Attachment: jamma.gif 39 KB (1 downloads)

Here's how it works in theory. Though you probably want to disconnect the arcade power supply when the J-PAC is connected. An arcade power supply running without a proper load can burn up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by krick (04/11/12 06:44 AM)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: new here and need some guidance. new [Re: krick]
#282110 - 04/11/12 06:17 AM

Yeah that is the ticket right there.

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282132 - 04/11/12 02:38 PM

that makes alot more sense. thanks

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282311 - 04/12/12 06:24 PM

ordered my jpac..thanks guys seems very simple after watxhing youtube tutorials but is it possible to use the newer joysticks that dont use switches with the jpac? not sure of the name but they are 360 degree smart sticks i think. they seem alot better than competition happ sticks.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4111