MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/12/12
Send PM

NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab.
#282266 - 04/12/12 02:58 PM

Hi

Iīm relatively new to the whole arcade cabinet building scene but have done alot of reading and now itīs time to get hands on.

The thing is I got a Silent Scope 2 cabinet wich has a broken scope (the tiny LCD in the scope is broken) and it has a 'HARDWARE ERROR(-11P)' which I believe is problem with the NV Ram.
This is impossible for me to get fixed since I live in Iceland and nobody here services old cabinets.

So Iīd like to convert it into a 4 player MAME cab. I already have the control panel ready and I thought Iīd mount it on the gun-stand.

Iīve been surfing the web reading up on various ways to convert cabinets but Iīd love to get some step by step guidence in simple terms.

So my question is what would be the easiest way to do this?

Which components of the cab can I keep and how do I adapt them for my PC?

The info I got from the monitor is following:
Hantarex polo/2 28 - 15/25 auto. Mains 230v 50/60hz 120w

Please let me know if you want me to post more info or pictures.

Thanks in advance.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: sillbilly]
#282274 - 04/12/12 03:57 PM

That's the worst conversion idea I've ever heard, literally the worst ever. Is there a chip at location 11P on the board? If it's the m48t58y then you could check if your version is dumped and simply reprogram a new one.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#282281 - 04/12/12 04:07 PM

> That's the worst conversion idea I've ever heard, literally the worst ever. Is there
> a chip at location 11P on the board? If it's the m48t58y then you could check if your
> version is dumped and simply reprogram a new one.

Ok?....... Thatīs pretty harsh.

Pretty new to this stuff... Donīt really understand much of what you said.
Also since the lcd in the scope is fried and I donīt have a small lcd replacement lying around I thought Iīd make some use of this cabinet.

Why is it the worst conversion idea youīve heard?

Oh yeah and the gun mount is broken aswell.....

Edited by sillbilly (04/12/12 04:13 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282283 - 04/12/12 04:32 PM

Not trying to be a dick. It's a totally custom (and rather awesome) cab made just for Silent Scope games, and your idea is to destroy it into a mame cab which can be made, even more easily, from any generic arcade cab or built from designs downloaded on the web. I didn't know the LCD is broken or how to fix that, are you sure it's supposed to show something before this error? I thought it was just not booting up on it because of the error mentioned on the screen, which might literally just need programming a common chip and plugging it in the board. If you take a pic of the motherboard and it's a region where we have that chip dumped in mame at 11P, I could probably program it for you here and send it to you in the mail for free.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282289 - 04/12/12 04:50 PM

Thanks alot man.

The thing is itīs in pretty bad shape (the cabinet).. The gun mount is broken, the gun is cracked. LCD in the scope is fried (it was confirmed dead before the hardware error came up).
All original artwork is gone. It basically looks like someone took a bat to it.
The monitor works fine though.

I got it for free when I purchased a working fighting vipers cab which iīm restoring (cosmetic work).

Iīm afraid Iīd have to replace the whole thing (Mount,gun,scope) if I wanted to restore it to itīs original working state.

Just donīt have the cash for that and also shipping would cost a lot since I live in Iceland and nobody here services old cabinets and itīs impossible to sell non-working cabinets here since thereīs no market for it.

Thatīs why I thought about turning it into a 4-player Mame cab (Iīm thinking NBA JAM and the likes...)

But if thereīs a better solution Iīm all ears (or eyes since Iīm reading the replies...)

Thanks again!

Edited by sillbilly (04/12/12 04:53 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282290 - 04/12/12 04:54 PM

Oh, I didn't know the shape was that bad. That sucks. I have a soft spot for Silent Scope games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282291 - 04/12/12 04:57 PM

Well if you can take pics of the motherboard/guts they might be an undumped region of the roms. The board set and other parts are probably sellable either way if you have an eBay system you can use.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282295 - 04/12/12 05:07 PM

I totally agree about the silent scope cabinets, love them. Itīs such a shame.
If I lived anywhere else than on an isolated island in the north and had access to parts and services Iīd do my best to restore and fix it or at least sell it to someone who could.
But Iīm afraid thereīs no saving this one. For me I have to order all the parts from abroad and Iīd pay more for that than for a working SS2 cabinet.

But as for now I just donīt have the money, time or knowledge to fix it. And it hurts to look at it sitting in my garage in the shape itīs in.

Thatīs why I thought Iīd do something with it.

Iīll definetely sell the parts I canīt use.

What I need now is some advice on the conversion. Mostly I just need to know which components I need to hook up the monitor and maybe the speakers to my PC.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#282297 - 04/12/12 05:08 PM

> I totally agree about the silent scope cabinets, love them. Itīs such a shame.
> If I lived anywhere else than on an isolated island in the north and had access to
> parts and services Iīd do my best to restore and fix it or at least sell it to
> someone who could.
> But Iīm afraid thereīs no saving this one. For me I have to order all the parts from
> abroad and Iīd pay more for that than for a working SS2 cabinet.
>
> But as for now I just donīt have the money, time or knowledge to fix it. And it hurts
> to look at it sitting in my garage in the shape itīs in.
>
> Thatīs why I thought Iīd do something with it.
>
> Iīll definetely sell the parts I canīt use.
>
> What I need now is some advice on the conversion. Mostly I just need to know which
> components I need to hook up the monitor and maybe the speakers to my PC.

The monitor AFAIK is 24KHz, so you'll need a ArcadeVGA if you want to use the same screen for one.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: Naoki]
#282299 - 04/12/12 05:12 PM

Hantarex polo/2 28 - 15/25 auto. Mains 230v 50/60hz 120w

Thatīs the info I got from the back of the monitor...
Is it possible to use an ATI card with special drivers and software instead of ArcadeVGA?

Thanks.

Naoki
Send PM

#282310 - 04/12/12 06:15 PM

The actual BIOS of the card was specially burned to ATI cards when made for Ultimarc, but you can use a program like Soft15KHz or PowerStrip wich allow lower res modes.

The monitor will auto switch between 15KHz and 24KHz, and for what it's worth, you may aswell tell mame to auto switch the resolutions, that way you have an accurate image and the game is being drawn at native res.

----

By gods I've found it!

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/10/12
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: Naoki]
#282317 - 04/12/12 06:41 PM

i wouldmake my own cab before doing anything with a silent scope cab.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: frznsldr]
#282356 - 04/12/12 10:40 PM

Dude, read the whole thread.
Itīs unsalvageable.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#282545 - 04/14/12 01:18 PM

> Dude, read the whole thread.
> Itīs unsalvageable.

NOTHING is unsalvageable. Without even seeing yours I can tell you I've brought back much worse.

I get your situation, but don't expect a ton of help with a conversion of this type. It's not that people want to be a dick to you...it's just that a conversion of this type goes against every belief most of us here hold. It's just too damned custom of a cabinet, no matter the shape.

BTW...having received the cabinet for free, you could probably get it running for less that a conversion would cost. Replacement gun assemblies show up on ebay a lot, for < $200. You will spend that easily in conversion costs for a 4p machine between controls and video cards. (You'll probably find a ton more people willing to help you with purchase/shipping issues on a new gun as well.)

Naoki
Send PM

Re: NooB needs help! Converting Silent Scope 2 to MAME cab. new [Re: italie]
#282552 - 04/14/12 03:51 PM

If you were to go down that route, you're looking at $200 from ebay for both the gun and pot mechs.

----

By gods I've found it!

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282593 - 04/15/12 02:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. And I completely get what you are saying.
The thing is:
all original artwork is gone.
The mount for the gun was apparently ripped from the main cabinet (the wires are all stripped and ripped).
Gun and scope broken.
The headpiece (the sign on top of the cabinet is missing).
It has the 'HARDWARE ERROR(-11P)' (confirmed by the guy who gave it to me)

Like I said before I live in Iceland and our currency isnīt worth s#%t.
200 dollars is a lot of money for me and shipping to Iceland is usually really expensive plus I have to pay at least 25% tax of total price (with shipping) to customs for anything ordered from abroad.

As for the controls. I already have them! I made them a few months back (bought the parts when I was in the states and brought them home).

All I was looking for was some help with doing something with this cabinet.
Nobody in my country (to my knowledge) is slightly interested in Arcade cabinet refurbishing and even if they were I doubt theyīd spend the time and money on the one I have. And either I do something with it or I take it to the junkyard.

As for pictures, Iīm currently working out of town and will be for the next weeks so I canīt take and post them any time soon.

But hey, maybe Iīm posting in the wrong place here. If no one is willing to help I think Iīll just google my way through this one.....

Thanks anyways for your replies.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282601 - 04/15/12 05:55 AM

You could try BYOAC. It looks like a nightmare to change it into what you want:
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=1602&image=1

Are you going to remove the bottom piece or just have players 2 and 3 elevated? Build a box on top of it and it will protrude out so far that the players will be too far from the screen. It's just a plain terrible cab for any conversion. I guess try to completely remove half the cab? Might as well just yank the monitor, speakers, coin box and start fresh?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#282603 - 04/15/12 06:26 AM

> You could try BYOAC. It looks like a nightmare to change it into what you want:
> http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=1602&image=1
>
> Are you going to remove the bottom piece or just have players 2 and 3 elevated? Build
> a box on top of it and it will protrude out so far that the players will be too far
> from the screen. It's just a plain terrible cab for any conversion. I guess try to
> completely remove half the cab? Might as well just yank the monitor, speakers, coin
> box and start fresh?

Not to mention the weight. It's heavy as all fuck. They did allow this one to split in two, but the halves aren't pleasant either.

You could just split the cab and use the monitor half, but like you hinted at, an unbelievable amount of work to make something with it.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282624 - 04/15/12 12:01 PM

The bottom piece is missing aswell.

Was thinking a layout something like this: http://www.usfreeads.com/1075209-cls.html

But I think Iīll just jank the monitor, speakers and other working things and start fresh... If anyone is interested in the board or other things let me know.

Like you said it is big and heavy and Iīd like to get it out of my garage when I get home.

sillbilly
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282625 - 04/15/12 12:05 PM

Iīd rather spend a lot of time and hard-work on making something out of it than spending a sh%tload of money buying spare parts or throwing it away...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#282630 - 04/15/12 02:58 PM

I might be interested in the boards if you can post pics of them that show the rom stickers so I can see if it's an undumped rev/region.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5144