MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

escapepodgames
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/12
Send PM

Noob needs help hooking up illuminated buttons
#285350 - 05/07/12 05:07 PM

Hi, guys

I'm Steve - VERY new to all this although I have experience with wiring, etc to some degree. I have removed and re-installed my two joysticks and moved some buttons around so I have a little experience with arcade games so far.

I want to install the following illuminated buttons:
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/led-pushbuttons/232-blue-led-convex-arcade-pushbutton.html

I plan to use 4 of these for my "A" and "B" buttons on each player's side. I have a total of 6 buttons per player.

Problem is I have NO clue where to hook up the 12v power supply or how to locate it in my cabinet. I am also wondering if a ground wire will be needed or if that is included as part of the "button-to-button" wiring. I have no idea which blades go to ground, power or to the other buttons.

lol - as I said I am clueless but I have potential.

I work in a sign shop and would be willing to print a control panel or something if anyone would be willing to help me get these hooked up.

Look forward to meeting some of you and getting involved in this great new hobby! I designed my own custom graphics package (working at a sign shop is a gamer's dream!) and will share some pics soon.

Steve

Edited by escapepodgames (05/07/12 05:07 PM)

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Noob needs help hooking up illuminated buttons new [Re: escapepodgames]
#285371 - 05/07/12 05:58 PM

PN sent.
Wasn´t allowed to post with the adress of a site I had found, for some strange reason.

escapepodgames
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/12
Send PM

Re: Noob needs help hooking up illuminated buttons new [Re: bodger319]
#285419 - 05/07/12 10:23 PM

Thanks - at least that shows me where to hook up the 12v and grounds to the buttons so that is big progress. I can find a ground with no problem but anyone have any advice on where to splice into 12v? I did not build the thing so I am not too sure...

Also, does it matter which blade goes to the buttons to either side?

Thanks!

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Noob needs help hooking up illuminated buttons new [Re: escapepodgames]
#285718 - 05/09/12 05:52 PM

For the LEDs run common 12V and Ground lines either to an arcade PSU if one is in the cabinet (Looks like what is in the picture on the link I sent.

Or if using a PC PSU, take them both from a power connector for hard-drive or CD-ROM/DVD, Yellow is +12V, Black is ground.

As for the buttons, are you using JAMMA or another interface, ie IPAC ? Usual method is to connect all the COM blades together as a common Ground connection and connect the NO (Normally Open) blades to the switch inputs.

Hope this helps
Mark

> Thanks - at least that shows me where to hook up the 12v and grounds to the buttons
> so that is big progress. I can find a ground with no problem but anyone have any
> advice on where to splice into 12v? I did not build the thing so I am not too sure...
>
> Also, does it matter which blade goes to the buttons to either side?
>
> Thanks!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3614