View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

c0dehunter
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/08/12
Send PM

Intel vs. AMD
#289607 - 06/16/12 05:01 PM

Since I could not respond to my original message, I had to create a new thread again.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

OK, I need to know if my custom PC with the following components:

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
ASRock 880GM-LE FX motherboard
MSI HD 4350 Radeon
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows XP Professional x86

Is fast enough for MAME emulation.

In response, John IV said:
"Games benefit more from x64 builds of MAME running on 64bit operating systems. Some games do *a lot* better on Intel solutions. THat said you should be fine for 90%+ of Mame games at that speed.

See some bench runs below.
http://www.mameui.info/Bench.htm%22

The thing that I don't understand is that how can a 31 years old game, such as FROGGER run any faster/better on an Intel platform and 'smoke' an AMD system?

I was under impression that MAME relies on pure CPU speed (and not other fancy modern CPU features). My AMD FX-4100 Zambezi is 3.6GHz which can be run at 4.00Ghz with turbo and proper overclocking. Isn't 4.00GHz not good enough for MAME?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Intel vs. AMD new [Re: c0dehunter]
#289612 - 06/16/12 05:49 PM

> The thing that I don't understand is that how can a 31 years old game, such as
> FROGGER run any faster/better on an Intel platform and 'smoke' an AMD system?

Not Frogger...once you get past 3GHz, demanding stuff like Prop Cycle and other 90's 3D games.

> I was under impression that MAME relies on pure CPU speed (and not other fancy modern
> CPU features). My AMD FX-4100 Zambezi is 3.6GHz which can be run at 4.00Ghz with
> turbo and proper overclocking. Isn't 4.00GHz not good enough for MAME?

John IV already told you that it'll be fine for 90% of the games in MAME.

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#289614 - 06/16/12 05:57 PM

> The thing that I don't understand is that how can a 31 years old game, such as

The MAME code generated by modern compilers just performs better on Intel chips in most cases. Some times, a LOT better. I don't think anyone is really sure why.

Either it's a quirk in the Intel CPU architecture that just works better with MAME's code, or the compilers are just falling down on the job when it comes to generating optimized AMD code.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Intel vs. AMD new [Re: Sune]
#289621 - 06/16/12 06:41 PM

Intel just makes a better product I guess.I dont think anyone knows exactly why.Just dont play games like Solar Assault or Gradius 4 and you will be ok

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Intel vs. AMD new [Re: mesk]
#289623 - 06/16/12 07:13 PM

> Intel just makes a better product I guess.I dont think anyone knows exactly why.Just
> dont play games like Solar Assault or Gradius 4 and you will be ok

Intel still cares about instructions per clock, which MAME cares deeply about and no other software that normal business/consumer users run notices. (The CPU makers won the war against MS Office being made slower each release a decade ago). AMD decided that since only emulators and high-end content creators (video editing, music production, CGI modelling and rendering) care about instructions per clock they weren't going to bother competing in that field and would simply try to make cheaper chips with more cores.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#289648 - 06/17/12 01:28 AM

On older games like Frogger, the difference between Intel and AMD is purely academic. If you let the game run unthrottled, you might get 700% framerate on AMD and 850% on Intel, but who cares if you can run at 100%? The real difference is on (mostly) newer games that are more demanding to emulate, where the difference between Intel and AMD can mean a game is playable at 100% framerate or not.

c0dehunter
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/08/12
Send PM

Re: Intel vs. AMD new [Re: krick]
#289656 - 06/17/12 03:03 AM

I see. Well, its too late, since I have already built my system, to quite honestly, I very happy with its speed.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4858