MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Monitor issue
#293281 - 08/04/12 08:04 PM Attachment: Screen.png 7 KB (0 downloads)

Recently I got a free cab from someone nearby me. It's been working ok and I've put some work into it to fix it up, but the monitor has a strange thing going on with it. Basically in the morning it's fine, works great, but gradually over time the monitor lightens up and lines begin to appear on the screen like the picture attached, also it seems to get blurrier after time. It dissapears after being off for some hours. I assume it could be a cap issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea of the problem.

It's not amajor issue since it's not very noticable in game, but y'know.

Black: Portions of screen not used.
Dark Grey: Poritions of screen used despite supposed to be black ( and it is very noticable).
Light Grey: Lines that appear, faintly.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Monitor issue new [Re: Naoki]
#293306 - 08/05/12 02:33 AM

> Recently I got a free cab from someone nearby me. It's been working ok and I've put
> some work into it to fix it up, but the monitor has a strange thing going on with it.
> Basically in the morning it's fine, works great, but gradually over time the monitor
> lightens up and lines begin to appear on the screen like the picture attached, also
> it seems to get blurrier after time. It dissapears after being off for some hours. I
> assume it could be a cap issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea of the
> problem.
>
> It's not amajor issue since it's not very noticable in game, but y'know.
>
> Black: Portions of screen not used.
> Dark Grey: Poritions of screen used despite supposed to be black ( and it is very
> noticable).
> Light Grey: Lines that appear, faintly.

grey lines = retrace lines.

It's possible that caps are causing the problem, but it's more likely that the flyback and or screen/focus pots are the issue. Turn the monitor off, rotate the screen and focus pots back and forth a few times. put them back relatively close to where they were. Turn the monitor on. With the help of a mirror or a second person, try to adjust the focus and screen pots with a wooden dowel or a plastic screwdriver. You should be able to bring the screen control back enough so the retrace lines disappear and black looks black. Adjust the focus until the picture is as crisp as it can be.

If the picture still changes over time, you can try caps, flyback, or even a yoke. If there are any other symptoms in the picture like blooming or waves, now is the time to say so.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Monitor issue new [Re: italie]
#293318 - 08/05/12 10:39 AM

>
> grey lines = retrace lines.
>
> It's possible that caps are causing the problem, but it's more likely that the
> flyback and or screen/focus pots are the issue. Turn the monitor off, rotate the
> screen and focus pots back and forth a few times. put them back relatively close to
> where they were. Turn the monitor on. With the help of a mirror or a second person,
> try to adjust the focus and screen pots with a wooden dowel or a plastic screwdriver.
> You should be able to bring the screen control back enough so the retrace lines
> disappear and black looks black. Adjust the focus until the picture is as crisp as it
> can be.
>
> If the picture still changes over time, you can try caps, flyback, or even a yoke. If
> there are any other symptoms in the picture like blooming or waves, now is the time
> to say so.

There aren't any other problems I see yet but I'll try the pot thing, even though I'm a little confused what you meant with rotating the monitor.

If it is something else like the flyback or the caps or even the yoke, I'm wondering if it's even worth repairing or just replace the screen. It's 19 inch screen, but I dont know how much screens can go for, or parts and/or repair services. Despite my technical knowhow, I'd rather not mess about with the screen.

----

By gods I've found it!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#293321 - 08/05/12 03:00 PM

> > rotate the screen and focus pots back and forth a few times.

> I'm a little confused what you meant with rotating the monitor.

He didn't say that...read it again.

S

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Monitor issue new [Re: Sune]
#293328 - 08/05/12 04:20 PM

> > > rotate the screen and focus pots back and forth a few times.
>
> > I'm a little confused what you meant with rotating the monitor.
>
> He didn't say that...read it again.
>
> S

I can't find any pots labelled "focus" or such. I believe the monitor is a tatung or chungwa screen and I guess it's a type-58 if that helps. Oh you meant on the flyback.. Gotcha.

Edited by Naoki (08/05/12 04:29 PM)

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

#293330 - 08/05/12 05:53 PM

Ok, working great now after some work. Thanks both of you.

----

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2677