MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JRoz
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/27/12
Send PM

Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps?
#296649 - 09/27/12 06:05 PM Attachment: hlsl2.jpg 118 KB (0 downloads)

Hey Guys,

I have two PC's running Hyperspin ....one is a duo core that runs perfectly (w/ w/out HLSL)..the other computer is a P4 that barely runs Hyperspin, but with all of the basic settings and features set to base settings it does what i'd like it to do, Except...it doesnt run Mame w/ HLSL active.

I have DirectX 9c up to date, and have used a variety of HLSL settings in my ini that are posted online, and also on my other working machine... but i'm getting some pretty weird looking glitches on my screen (below). Running it through hyperspin, and by itself, i'm getting the attached look in game mode, or at a mame menu mode. The games just show up black screen, and the menus appear all over the place. I've even tried just enabling HLSL with just a clean new mame.ini with no adjustment (just active) and same result. I took a few pics below, my specs are in the last two pages, not sure if you need anything else...is this PC i'm running just too old to run HLSL?..thats what i'm assuming is the case, I really just run all of the old 80s games in my cocktail cabinet and wanted to emulate that old look if possible. If I need to start upgrading it with a better video card..not sure its worth it?..thoughts?

thanks!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by JRoz (09/27/12 06:07 PM)

JRoz
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps? new [Re: JRoz]
#296650 - 09/27/12 06:06 PM Attachment: hlsl1.jpg 110 KB (0 downloads)

adding additional pic..

Attachment

JRoz
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps? new [Re: JRoz]
#296651 - 09/27/12 06:07 PM Attachment: hlsl4.jpg 160 KB (0 downloads)

one more...

Attachment

JRoz
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296652 - 09/27/12 06:07 PM Attachment: hlsl3.jpg 235 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#296661 - 09/27/12 07:12 PM

You need a decent video card to use HLSL AFAIK since it's GFX intensive.

Try and get the best AGP or PCI Express card your board supports if you can that is within your budget.

JRoz
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps? new [Re: B2K24]
#296662 - 09/27/12 07:23 PM

thanks for the reply...could be a dumb question but whats the best way to tell which board I have?...its from a generic dell build..I'm guessing a PCI express?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#296666 - 09/27/12 08:15 PM

> thanks for the reply...could be a dumb question but whats the best way to tell which
> board I have?...its from a generic dell build..I'm guessing a PCI express?

Telling what the Dell model number is would be a start. It's on the front often enough, or if not it's on the same sticker as the serial number.

With the service tag number someone could even look up your exact specifications.

You would probably have PCI Express on that motherboard - provided that Dell didn't physically leave the slot off (would require a look inside the case - or the part number for the motherboard (which can be pulled from the service tag number)

Following the graphics card, you'd likely have to replace the power supply. Fortunately, Dells of that era used standard power supplies IIRC.

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#296670 - 09/27/12 09:18 PM

> thanks for the reply...could be a dumb question but whats the best way to tell which
> board I have?...its from a generic dell build..I'm guessing a PCI express?

Run a software called CPU-Z (google it) once launched check Mainboard tab.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#296682 - 09/28/12 12:07 AM

if u are only using hlsl to obtain scanlines, perhaps consider switching to mameuifx which allows you to still use the old style scanlines which were removed from official mame a long time ago. that way you wont need to turn on hlsl, but will still have scanlines (actually it lets you use other effects also such as Aperture)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps? new [Re: grog]
#296707 - 09/28/12 11:42 AM

> if u are only using hlsl to obtain scanlines, perhaps consider switching to mameuifx
> which allows you to still use the old style scanlines which were removed from
> official mame a long time ago. that way you wont need to turn on hlsl, but will still
> have scanlines (actually it lets you use other effects also such as Aperture)

Just to clarify, this function is still in MAME. Usage is: -effect effect.png
So, 'MAME mappy -effect scanlines' uses "scanlines.png" located in your artwork folder for the visual effects.

The part that was discontinued was the old way of doing scanlines, when it was done via software rather than an effects .png - those went away when the new video code was introduced in 0.107.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Issues Running MAME w/ HLSL On - Old computer/weak onboard graphics perhaps? new [Re: Tafoid]
#296714 - 09/28/12 02:58 PM

> Just to clarify, this function is still in MAME. Usage is: -effect effect.png

oops sorry about that, didnt realise. nice to know =]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4095