Pages: 1

PhillyNJ
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/25/12
Send PM

Joystick Selection
#301357 - 12/25/12 10:00 PM

Hi,

I am new to MAME and I am in the planning stages of buying all my components for my first MAME. I will be using a Raspberry Pi running wheezy and have some questions about joystick selection. I am going to use the ipac/3 or 4 for my button interface. What type of joystick should I get and does the joystick need an additional interface to connect to the ipac?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Joystick Selection new [Re: PhillyNJ]
#301455 - 12/27/12 03:17 PM

> I am new to MAME and I am in the planning stages of buying all my components for my
> first MAME. I will be using a Raspberry Pi running wheezy

You'd be much happier with a fanless HTPC and a modern ULV Intel processor - that would enable running a MAME build made after 2001 (and playing games we've added support for after that date) as well as more modern stuff like Dolphin and DEMUL. The RPi has about the CPU power of an original Pentium from 1995, and emulators did not run very well on those

Regarding joysticks, the iPac's reason for being is precisely to allow connecting arcade controls to a PC, no other hardware is necessary. The specific type of joystick to use depends strongly on what games you intend to play most: Pac-Man and Street Fighter II indicate very different answers, for instance.

PhillyNJ
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/25/12
Send PM

Re: Joystick Selection new [Re: R. Belmont]
#301556 - 12/29/12 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. As this is a home project I will be sticking with a RPi just for the fun of it. I have some old laptops that would definitely perform better but like I said, its for fun. For this MAME, I'll just be loading some 81' to 85' ROMS. Nothing too complicated.

Thanks again for the advice.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2193