MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Jamma connector question...
#306492 - 03/29/13 05:05 AM

Could a couple of you guys take a look at this:

http://www.fileswap.com/folder/OanqCBzs/

Looks like it shorted out and separated from the board?
Repairable? Or is the board probably dead? Just got it out of the cab tonight so I still have to check the power on that. I know those 2 are for the 5V supplies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Jamma connector question... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#306505 - 03/29/13 03:33 PM

> Could a couple of you guys take a look at this:
>
> http://www.fileswap.com/folder/OanqCBzs/
>
> Looks like it shorted out and separated from the board?
> Repairable? Or is the board probably dead? Just got it out of the cab tonight so I
> still have to check the power on that. I know those 2 are for the 5V supplies. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Defiantly looks like something has shorted, but I couldn't tell you if it's dead. However, if you test the 5v line in the cab with a multimeter (should be around 5.00) make sure that's not to high and plug the board in (and only the jamma board). If all the power is good you should have 3 LEDs light up near the jamma connector for the 5v, 12v and -5v. The 5V led is between the coindoor connector and the molex power supply connector. If it doesn't light up it means the traces aren't good enough for powering it. It's repairable, but not easy

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#306556 - 03/30/13 04:02 PM

> Could a couple of you guys take a look at this:
>
> http://www.fileswap.com/folder/OanqCBzs/
>
> Looks like it shorted out and separated from the board?
> Repairable? Or is the board probably dead? Just got it out of the cab tonight so I
> still have to check the power on that. I know those 2 are for the 5V supplies. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Shorted really isn't the right term. Usually that happens from age and use, or from too much current being drawn off those pins, bad grounding, etc.

IIRC (please verify this with a continuity test) The 4 pin power connector on that board (in the same image) are tied to the the JAMMA pins. That connector is rated to 8 amps, so you should be OK to leave the broken pin as-is, as long as the 4 pin is connected as a POWER INPUT in conjunction with the JAMMA harness to a power supply. Power the hard drive from the power supply directly. Powering it right off the board could have been a contributory factor to the pin issue.

There are only two repairs you can do to the PCB. Foil trace tape/retracing, or soldering a secondary connector to that trace at a through-hole point.

The first option NEVER works right, the new trace always peels up. The second option is your best bet, if you want to repair it at all.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Jamma connector question... new [Re: italie]
#306575 - 03/30/13 07:36 PM

> > Could a couple of you guys take a look at this:
> >
> > http://www.fileswap.com/folder/OanqCBzs/
> >
> > Looks like it shorted out and separated from the board?
> > Repairable? Or is the board probably dead? Just got it out of the cab tonight so I
> > still have to check the power on that. I know those 2 are for the 5V supplies. Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill
>
> Shorted really isn't the right term. Usually that happens from age and use, or from
> too much current being drawn off those pins, bad grounding, etc.
>
> IIRC (please verify this with a continuity test) The 4 pin power connector on that
> board (in the same image) are tied to the the JAMMA pins. That connector is rated to
> 8 amps, so you should be OK to leave the pin as-is, as long as the 4 pin is connected
> as a POWER INPUT in conjunction with the JAMMA harness to a power supply. Power the
> hard drive from the power supply directly. Powering it right off the board could have
> been a contributory factor to the pin issue.
>
>
> There are only two repairs you can do to the PCB. Foil trace tape/retracing, or
> soldering a secondary connector to that trace at a through-hole point.
>
> The first option NEVER works right, the new trace always peels up. The second option
> is your best bet.

I can confirm this works. I was playing Gauntlet that same way.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#306588 - 03/30/13 11:37 PM

Have you tested it? Because it looks like it could just draw the power from the other bottom 5V pin. That burn is probably from someone wiring it up with a hacked PC power supply or something. That's my guess anyway. Or someone twisting up the out on a peter chou style, because all the hd using Midway boards from the 90s need more than the normal 5.1 or they won't even boot up and read the hard drives correctly.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Okay, next round.... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#306768 - 04/03/13 04:08 AM

Checked all the power to & from everything. All check out with proper voltages. Obviously that connection is very iffy when you move the thing around at all but, it still seems to be gettin' the job done. All of the leds come on as they are supposed to. The HD stays on with no disc attached per manual. The only 1 that also stays on is the sound led. It is supposed to blink but stays on. My golden tee board had sound so I know the speakers work and I could see the boot up text on the monitor so I know it works as well.
Would the sound processor being fried stop it from booting?
The main problem is the 8 line led. It comes on with all 8 lit up and stays that way. Says that it's supposed to bounce up & down as it loads. Since it's not loading anything it's not bouncing.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Thanks all...

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#306769 - 04/03/13 04:20 AM

> Checked all the power to & from everything. All check out with proper voltages.
> Obviously that connection is very iffy when you move the thing around at all but, it
> still seems to be gettin' the job done. All of the leds come on as they are supposed
> to. The HD stays on with no disc attached per manual. The only 1 that also stays on
> is the sound led. It is supposed to blink but stays on. My golden tee board had sound
> so I know the speakers work and I could see the boot up text on the monitor so I know
> it works as well.
> Would the sound processor being fried stop it from booting?
> The main problem is the 8 line led. It comes on with all 8 lit up and stays that way.
> Says that it's supposed to bounce up & down as it loads. Since it's not loading
> anything it's not bouncing.
>
> Any ideas on how to proceed from here?
>
> Thanks all...

You are at board level debugging from here, unless your hard drive is imaged wrong.

Check voltage levels at chips, check for proper signaling out of known chips. Check any boot EEproms that they CRC Ok, etc...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Okay, next round.... new [Re: italie]
#306791 - 04/03/13 05:17 PM

Even if the hard drive is done incorrectly it should be possible to boot it to service mode and run the tests there, or otherwise just get a bad hard drive message on the screen. Or at least it was that way on the Midway boards I've run from that era.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Okay, next round.... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306828 - 04/04/13 05:36 AM

That's what I figured. I've got 1 more easy thing to try when I get time. I've got 2 sets of boot roms and none are marked as really to what they are. 1 does say v2.7 on it, I imagine those went with the original HD. The new HD says v3 on it, so hopefully the guy before me only swapped 1 chip out or something I can get the 2 correct ones to boot to the menu at least. The hd's should be no problem after that. It does say in the manual that it may not boot at all if the chips installed incorrectly or if they are the wrong version(fingers crossed).

If this doesn't work I'll be up to Italies' suggestions next. (I hope not.)

Anything anyone else can think of, please make a suggestion.

Thanks all...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#306829 - 04/04/13 06:05 AM

I don't understand what happened, you bought a cab as untested or what? Starting off your arcade hardware hobby with untested or broken boards is a bad idea. Fixing boards sucks balls unless it's hardware you particularly like to hack and fix.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2654