Pages: 1

Ilium
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/31/13
Send PM

Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME
#319517 - 12/31/13 12:28 PM

Hi there,

I am pretty new to the whole arcade/MAME scene and I have a question regarding a cabinet I am thinking of getting.
I've got the option to buy a dedicated Sega Fighting Vipers cabinet.

I would love to convert this machine to a MAME machine, using the speakers and arcade monitor in the cabinet without altering it in a way so that it cannot be restored to it's current form.

The main question I have is this: Is it possible to hook a pc to a Model 2 board in a simular fashion one can connect a pc to a Jamma board through a J-Pac?

I've spent a good part of the day looking for info on this but pretty much all the information I can find talks about Jamma setups.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME new [Re: Ilium]
#319521 - 12/31/13 01:20 PM

> Hi there,
>
> I am pretty new to the whole arcade/MAME scene and I have a question regarding a
> cabinet I am thinking of getting.
> I've got the option to buy a dedicated Sega Fighting Vipers cabinet.
>
> I would love to convert this machine to a MAME machine, using the speakers and arcade
> monitor in the cabinet without altering it in a way so that it cannot be restored to
> it's current form.
>
> The main question I have is this: Is it possible to hook a pc to a Model 2 board in a
> simular fashion one can connect a pc to a Jamma board through a J-Pac?
>
> I've spent a good part of the day looking for info on this but pretty much all the
> information I can find talks about Jamma setups.
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

You can but it's not as easy. All Sega Model hardwar cabs use 24KHz monitors which whilst not impossible to drive, I don't know of many ways without using some RGB scaler (not sure if ArcadeVGA would work). All the inputs are direct to the board I believe but you'd need to adapt the harness using a female JST-RA header I believe. Best option is to download the manual from The Arcade Manual Database and see if it has a schematic and if so, see how your controls and video are wired up.

There might be other options such as Model 2 to Jamma adaptors but you'd need one for the cab obviously.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Ilium
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#319522 - 12/31/13 04:07 PM

I was afraid it was going to be quite a bit harder than converting a Jamma cab. Thanks for the input, I'll have to give it some more thought.

The deal I can get on the cabinet is amazing, but I'll have to decide if I want to go through the extra trouble to turn it into a MAME machine.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#319524 - 12/31/13 04:33 PM

> I was afraid it was going to be quite a bit harder than converting a Jamma cab.
> Thanks for the input, I'll have to give it some more thought.
>
> The deal I can get on the cabinet is amazing, but I'll have to decide if I want to go
> through the extra trouble to turn it into a MAME machine.

It might be easier to cut the looms and solder on a female JAMMA harness and then rewire the Model 2 to be JAMMA but that's more destructive. This also doesn't mean it would be compatible with JAMMA games (the games would need to support 24Khz like Gauntlet DL or California Speed).

Like I said, check to see if there's any cabinet adaptors or people willing to make one.

Also, check out Orc's page on making his JAMMA cab, he converted a Virtua Striker 2 to MAME but albeit able to go back to Model 2, he just split the harness into a Y-config I believe. Which reminds me, get the manuals of the monitor aswell as it will tell you what resolution modes it supports, you want to see 15khz to be smiling

Edited by Naoki (12/31/13 04:42 PM)

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#319525 - 12/31/13 04:34 PM

> I was afraid it was going to be quite a bit harder than converting a Jamma cab.
> Thanks for the input, I'll have to give it some more thought.
>
> The deal I can get on the cabinet is amazing, but I'll have to decide if I want to go
> through the extra trouble to turn it into a MAME machine.

Really it isn't any harder per-say, it is just that there is no out of the box solution.

The connections are just finding the right "Tab A" to stick in "Slot B", and those can be found online easily. The monitor will be the most time consuming part.

Your options for the monitor:
- Work through getting it running at 25 KHz via special video card/software
- Buy a low res monitor chassis for $50 and swap it out. Converting it back to stock (if need-be) would take minutes.
- Buy a new monitor for the cabinet. Converting it back to stock (if need-be) would take about an hour
- It is ~possible~ that your monitor chassis has a switch or a jumper on it to switch it from med res to low/high res. A lot of those med-res chassis Sega used had this capability. Post model number of your chassis, or images of it, so we can identify it. (By "chassis" I mean the actual "parts board" of the monitor, not the monitor tube or frame)

Some helpful links:

www.mouser.com
www.jammaboards.com
http://jvspac.kirurg.org/

http://tiptonware.com/mame_machine/SoftWare.htm
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Custom_display_modes_%28Windows%29_-_Soft-15khz
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-install.html
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=2c9cea53d25618dca90a06e0a6be78ea&t=54903&page=2
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=8034

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME new [Re: italie]
#319529 - 12/31/13 05:40 PM

If it's a Sega cab there's a chance it's dual res (15/24khz) so I wouldn't rule out the usual methods. If it's a Nanao monitor it's most likely dual res. If it's a WG chances are slim.

Edited by RetroRepair (12/31/13 05:41 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Ilium
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#319530 - 12/31/13 05:41 PM

Thanks for pointing me to Orc's page, that's definitely going to be helpful!

I will go by the guy selling the cabinet somewhere next week and see what I can find out about the monitor etc. In the meanwhile, reading time!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Using a Sega Model 2 dedicated cabinet for MAME new [Re: RetroRepair]
#319531 - 12/31/13 06:28 PM

> If it's a Sega cab there's a chance it's dual res (15/24khz) so I wouldn't rule out
> the usual methods. If it's a Nanao monitor it's most likely dual res. If it's a WG
> chances are slim.

Yeah, the WG line is why I put that one last on the list. Knew a lot of Ops that hated the Nanao chassis in those cabs and (unfortunately) just threw a U5000/K7500 in 'em on first repair...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4313