Pages: 1

dlfrsilver
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Send PM

Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new
#320783 - 01/23/14 09:06 AM

Hello Guys,

I have found in an archive coming from a PC9821 (neogeo dev machine) the full source code of the Art of Fighting ASM 68k source code.

This is a dumping union release

You'll find it there :

https://app.box.com/s/5on2e593tqt2c8ketc68

All the files can be opened with Notepad ++.

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: dlfrsilver]
#320786 - 01/23/14 11:45 AM

Very cool! Thx for the info!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Cool new [Re: dlfrsilver]
#320797 - 01/23/14 01:24 PM

Dev can learn from this on how it work on the Neo Geo system from these files. Good document.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

#320799 - 01/23/14 01:58 PM

That's a pretty rad thing

Would be good if anything else from the system could be dumped, like tools compilers etc.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

nimitz
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/10/10
Loc: Québec
Send PM

#320811 - 01/23/14 06:37 PM

Please, Please upload the complete contents of the drive.

Edited by nimitz (01/23/14 06:37 PM)

trap15
EmuDev
Reged: 05/11/10
Loc: Columbus, OH
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: nimitz]
#320812 - 01/23/14 06:44 PM

Seconding this. It would be really awesome to be able to image the drive back and see if it won't still build on a PC9821.

Twitter | Daifukkat.su
I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: trap15]
#320815 - 01/23/14 07:15 PM

> Seconding this. It would be really awesome to be able to image the drive back and see
> if it won't still build on a PC9821.

Thirding this. Pulling a Javier Donoso here, but you must image the entire drive.

dlfrsilver
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#320824 - 01/23/14 09:07 PM

> > Seconding this. It would be really awesome to be able to image the drive back and
> see
> > if it won't still build on a PC9821.
>
> Thirding this. Pulling a Javier Donoso here, but you must image the entire drive.

I don't have the real hard drive, the neogeo source code was hidden in the PC-engine CDROM conversion source code of this game.

The tools i found only work for PC-engine, and most are PC-DOS based (some are not compatible with our western PCs!)
none are related to the neogeo, i'm sorry guys.

trap15
EmuDev
Reged: 05/11/10
Loc: Columbus, OH
Send PM

#320825 - 01/23/14 09:23 PM

> I don't have the real hard drive, the neogeo source code was hidden in the PC-engine
> CDROM conversion source code of this game.
>
> The tools i found only work for PC-engine, and most are PC-DOS based (some are not
> compatible with our western PCs!)
> none are related to the neogeo, i'm sorry guys.

I have a real PC9821, if you upload all of the files I should be able to use them.

Past that, I would be interested in just getting the PCECD code if that's all you have. A quick Google search doesn't find it, at least.

Twitter | Daifukkat.su
I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go

dlfrsilver
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: trap15]
#320835 - 01/23/14 11:17 PM

NEWS tonight :

a french guy called NeoCps1 has made the source i found fully working and recompilable with microtec ASM68k :

https://app.box.com/s/rgg0vbqqyjy2bsxkbffj

Enjoy, it generates the rom, and the rom work if put together with the tiles rom and the other roms.

tutorial :

decompress everything in your C drive
You should get an MRI folder
Launch DOSBOX (heh yes it doesn't work under windows x64).
Go in MRI
launch SetPath
go in AOF
launch make
go in bin
launch makeout
then, from a windows command line (not dosbox)
in this same folder, launch makerom
and you will get the file 044-p1.p1, the program code.

Now insert the rom inside an art of fighting archive, and the game will play !

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#320860 - 01/24/14 06:25 AM

> I don't have the real hard drive, the neogeo source code was hidden in the PC-engine
> CDROM conversion source code of this game.

... are you going to release the PC-Engine conversion's source code too?

And the other things. They may not be interesting to MAME folks, but I know lots of other console hackers who might be interested...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: Foxhack]
#320880 - 01/24/14 03:17 PM

> > I don't have the real hard drive, the neogeo source code was hidden in the
> PC-engine
> > CDROM conversion source code of this game.
>
> ... are you going to release the PC-Engine conversion's source code too?
>
> And the other things. They may not be interesting to MAME folks, but I know lots of
> other console hackers who might be interested...

Like Haze? He might.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Cool new [Re: Dullaron]
#320894 - 01/24/14 07:49 PM

> Dev can learn from this on how it work on the Neo Geo system from these files. Good
> document.

I think at this point reverse engineering has produced information about the neogeo hardware which is far better and more accurate than the technical documentation originally supplied by snk to developers. I don't know how much there is to learn from the source code in that regard.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: Dullaron]
#320895 - 01/24/14 08:24 PM

> > > I don't have the real hard drive, the neogeo source code was hidden in the
> > PC-engine
> > > CDROM conversion source code of this game.
> >
> > ... are you going to release the PC-Engine conversion's source code too?
> >
> > And the other things. They may not be interesting to MAME folks, but I know lots of
> > other console hackers who might be interested...
>
> Like Haze? He might.

I dunno what kind of stuff he does, so I wouldn't know about that. (I mean, I know he does emulator programming, but I doubt he's interested in most of the stuff below.)

I was mostly referring to folks from The Cutting Room Floor, homebrew creators, fan translators, game hackers, etcetera.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#320896 - 01/24/14 09:47 PM

> And the other things. They may not be interesting to MAME folks, but I know lots of
> other console hackers who might be interested...

The MAME folks are generally also MESSdevs these days. I actually find the PCE source and tools way more interesting than an arcade game that everyone's emulated correctly for a decade plus.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

#320902 - 01/25/14 12:31 AM

> I was mostly referring to folks from The Cutting Room Floor, homebrew creators, fan
> translators, game hackers, etcetera.

These are the people who will benefit from this.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Charles MacDonald
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: RetroRepair]
#320935 - 01/25/14 09:46 PM

To clarify:

The CD mastering software they used to make the PC-Engine version of Art of Fighting didn't zero out the CD image prior to writing data, and as a result big chunks of unused space from the hard drive of the computer being used were included in the CD image. The data consists of files that had been deleted in the past including many archives of backed-up source code from various projects.

The data files and an extraction program somebody wrote have been around for a few years, but I think nobody found the archive that had the AOF code grouped together specifically until now. Data from AOF and other CD games can be found on this page on the top link, which includes extraction tools to pull out the fragmented LZH and ZIP files:

http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/vgscr/nectg16.html

Or, you can obtain the ISO for the PC-Engine version of AOF and extract the data directly from there.

The developer of port had the AOF source code as it was a literal line by line port of the original game, the Hu6280 source has the 68000 code in comments and the corresponding 6280 code beneath it.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] new [Re: Charles MacDonald]
#320938 - 01/25/14 10:07 PM

> To clarify:
>
> The CD mastering software they used to make the PC-Engine version of Art of Fighting
> didn't zero out the CD image prior to writing data, and as a result big chunks of
> unused space from the hard drive of the computer being used were included in the CD
> image. The data consists of files that had been deleted in the past including many
> archives of backed-up source code from various projects.
>
> The data files and an extraction program somebody wrote have been around for a few
> years, but I think nobody found the archive that had the AOF code grouped together
> specifically until now. Data from AOF and other CD games can be found on this page on
> the top link, which includes extraction tools to pull out the fragmented LZH and ZIP
> files:
>
> http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/vgscr/nectg16.html
>
> Or, you can obtain the ISO for the PC-Engine version of AOF and extract the data
> directly from there.
>
> The developer of port had the AOF source code as it was a literal line by line port
> of the original game, the Hu6280 source has the 68000 code in comments and the
> corresponding 6280 code beneath it.

Thanks for the proper explanation, Charles. I am now embarrassed about that email. Oh well, archived now.

- Stiletto

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Art of Fighting Source Code for Neogeo [044] [Re: Charles MacDonald]
#320971 - 01/26/14 10:47 PM

> To clarify:
>
> The CD mastering software they used to make the PC-Engine version of Art of Fighting
> didn't zero out the CD image prior to writing data, and as a result big chunks of
> unused space from the hard drive of the computer being used were included in the CD
> image. The data consists of files that had been deleted in the past including many
> archives of backed-up source code from various projects.
>
> The data files and an extraction program somebody wrote have been around for a few
> years, but I think nobody found the archive that had the AOF code grouped together
> specifically until now. Data from AOF and other CD games can be found on this page on
> the top link, which includes extraction tools to pull out the fragmented LZH and ZIP
> files:
>
> http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/vgscr/nectg16.html
>
> Or, you can obtain the ISO for the PC-Engine version of AOF and extract the data
> directly from there.
>
> The developer of port had the AOF source code as it was a literal line by line port
> of the original game, the Hu6280 source has the 68000 code in comments and the
> corresponding 6280 code beneath it.

Thanks, Charles. I'll point some friends to this topic so they can fiddle around with the files.

OrochiZ
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/06/15
Send PM

#383928 - 10/11/19 03:01 PM

The download link is dead. Do you still have a backup?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7031