MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

fenderjaguarj
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/17/14
Send PM

G-sync works with mame
#324854 - 04/17/14 07:11 PM

For years the obscure frame rates of some of these old arcade games had me creating custom frequencies in nvidia control panel, which was quite a headache. Sometimes the frequency wouldn't work. Sometimes there weren't enough decimal places for the refresh etc.

But I'm happy to say the new gysnc monitor automatically matches the refresh to the frame rate. Simply select the mame.exe in nvidia control panel and force g-sync. No input lag or tearing and a perfectly matched refresh!

Edited by fenderjaguarj (04/17/14 07:14 PM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: G-sync works with mame new [Re: fenderjaguarj]
#324869 - 04/18/14 01:00 AM

> For years the obscure frame rates of some of these old arcade games had me creating
> custom frequencies in nvidia control panel, which was quite a headache. Sometimes the
> frequency wouldn't work. Sometimes there weren't enough decimal places for the
> refresh etc.
>
> But I'm happy to say the new gysnc monitor automatically matches the refresh to the
> frame rate. Simply select the mame.exe in nvidia control panel and force g-sync. No
> input lag or tearing and a perfectly matched refresh!

Great, thanks for sharing. Which monitor is it and how much did you pay for it?

What about below-60Hz games like uh..R-Type and Mortal Kombat..don't remember what version. There are more.

S

fenderjaguarj
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/17/14
Send PM

Re: G-sync works with mame new [Re: Sune]
#324884 - 04/18/14 11:51 AM

> > Great, thanks for sharing. Which monitor is it and how much did you pay for it?
>
> What about below-60Hz games like uh..R-Type and Mortal Kombat..don't remember what
> version. There are more.
>
> S

The monitor is called the Asus VG248QE. It's modded with the nvidia gsync unit. At the moment, they are quite expensive, since the monitor has to be modified. Didn't buy it specifically for mame, but it's a nice bonus.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-modif...-1ms-vesa-dport

And yes, the monitor will run at any refresh rate between 30hz and 144hz. I tested rtype and it runs at 55.017somethinghz, but the screen refresh is perfectly matching that, because it's got that fluid motion to it.

Some people obviously wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But it's always annoyed me. And I know there is an AMD/ATI card out there that can run custom fixed frequencies, but I'm not so sure it can do it on the fly like this.

The best thing about it for me is that it's effectively vsync with no input lag. Input lag in 2D games is worse than playing with minor input lag in a first person shooter imo, I don't know why.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: G-sync works with mame new [Re: fenderjaguarj]
#325324 - 04/28/14 07:30 AM

> Input lag in 2D games is worse than playing with minor input lag in a first person
> shooter imo, I don't know why.

In an NES emulator (Or PC10) try warping to world 5 or -1 from level 1-2 in SMB with input lag. PITA. Then there's the fight against Mike Tyson...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2614