MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

legin
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/11/05
Send PM

Rasbery Pi
#328371 - 07/20/14 03:04 AM

Hi Everyone. I seem to be having bad luck with PC mainboards.
My mainboard died again in my arcade machine. I was thinking of maybe using a Rasbery Pi instead of a PC. has anyone here tried it yet?
I have seen a few instances so far scattered around the web all of which say some of the more resource hungry games eg street fighter 2 dont run so well. But there is not that much info yet. Unless I am missing something.
I dont really run any other emus bedides MAME in general

legin
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/11/05
Send PM

Re: Rasbery Pi new [Re: legin]
#328372 - 07/20/14 03:06 AM

Sorry Mods

I should have posted in the PC Hardware/Arcade Cab section.
Please move the post

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#328597 - 07/24/14 07:21 PM

> Hi Everyone. I seem to be having bad luck with PC mainboards.
> My mainboard died again in my arcade machine. I was thinking of maybe using a Rasbery
> Pi instead of a PC. has anyone here tried it yet?

I've repeatedly advised against it, and true to form people did it anyway and it ended in tears. At least one guy did own up afterwards that it was a terrible idea

The RPi has the computing power of a PC from the mid-1990s, before MAME was started. There are, shall we say, significant compromises in emulation quality involved in making any kind of emulation run on a platform that constrained and so MAMEdev strongly recommends you look elsewhere. Something like a Gigabyte BRIX with a Core i5 or i7 will give you full modern PC power in a tiny attractive case and should run stock MAME and popular frontends quite well on either Windows 7 or Linux.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#328743 - 07/27/14 04:03 PM

> Hi Everyone. I seem to be having bad luck with PC mainboards.
> My mainboard died again in my arcade machine. I was thinking of maybe using a Rasbery
> Pi instead of a PC.

Don't waste your time with a Pi unless you want to use a hacked up prehistoric version of MAME from the DOS era while running anything later than 1991 at snail's pace, if the games are even emulated. A Pentium 4 will run rings around it, let alone modern multi-core systems.

If your mainboards are randomly dying in your cabinet, are they getting enough airflow? Capacitors don't like heat (especially if they are second hand boards and/or cheap caps, or unsuitable for sigh stress/heat like KZG), and they are almost always the first things to bring a PC down. Cheap (or fake/knock-off) power supplies are usually the biggest problem when it comes to caps though, although the caps around the CPU are also common failure points.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2325