View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

Legendary Wings bezel
#333794 - 10/25/14 09:00 PM Attachment: Legendary Wings (2K res).png 3258 KB (20 downloads)

Hi. I managed to get a scan of the legendary Wings bezel and had my first go at cleaning up a scan. The bezel was in OK condition but had some creases/cracks/stains and worn corners/edges, etc., but I think it's come out quite well.

I've uploaded the hi-res 4K version to DONE\big10p on the FTP server. Is this the right thing to do?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: big10p]
#333803 - 10/26/14 12:35 AM

> Hi. I managed to get a scan of the legendary Wings bezel and had my first go at
> cleaning up a scan. The bezel was in OK condition but had some creases/cracks/stains
> and worn corners/edges, etc., but I think it's come out quite well.
>
> I've uploaded the hi-res 4K version to DONE\big10p on the FTP server. Is this the
> right thing to do?

Yes... and it's beautiful! But dang... I wish you had done anything else on there. I have a better scan of this one that I haven't uploaded yet (not cropped). Which is why I never uploaded the cropped version on there.

Also... we typically make all the artwork 4k when using a full scan.

If you're up for doing it again, give me until Monday, and I'll upload the good version.

But again... beautiful!! I can't wait to see what comes next

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: Mr. Do]
#333822 - 10/26/14 11:50 AM

Damn, I didn't know it was cropped. I guess there's a portion missing off the top?

When you upload the full version, I think I may be able to just clean the cropped section and graft it onto the one I've done. However, if I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, I'll redo it. Man, I hope that's not the case as I spent a fair few hours doing this one.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#333842 - 10/27/14 02:31 AM

Looks great, thanks

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: Antny]
#333860 - 10/27/14 04:38 PM

> Looks great, thanks

Thanks. It was time consuming but I did enjoy doing it.

I have a couple of questions about cleaning up scans:

1) When I download a scan to clean up from the FTP server, how do I know if someone else isn't already cleaning up the same scan?

2) Some scans have small areas cut off from the top/bottom edges - often near the corners. Do you attempt to fill in the missing bits, or do you just crop a small bit off the top/bottom?

Cheers.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#333867 - 10/27/14 09:49 PM

> > Looks great, thanks
>
> Thanks. It was time consuming but I did enjoy doing it.
>
> I have a couple of questions about cleaning up scans:

Good to have more people helping. I'm new to this myself but I'll answer as best I can.

> 1) When I download a scan to clean up from the FTP server, how do I know if someone
> else isn't already cleaning up the same scan?

Best thing to do is search the forum for that game title and see if anyone has posted about working on it, or finished it (I sometimes forget this).

> 2) Some scans have small areas cut off from the top/bottom edges - often near the
> corners. Do you attempt to fill in the missing bits, or do you just crop a small bit
> off the top/bottom?

I can tell you my process, though others might work differently. Most scans go a bit past the edge of the bezel, so I crop to the edge (but be careful, some are not straight, so cropping to the top edge at the left side might be past the top edge at the right side).

I always clean on the full-size image (normally between 6000 and 10000 pixels wide). As a final step, I scale down to 4000 pixels on the longest dimension and crop anything that would not have been visible in the cabinet (the edges were often under a metal bracket which is why they are all scraped up). This scaled down version goes into the zip file I post to save space/bandwidth (anything over 4k is not usable to 99% of users). The uncropped, hi-res cleaned image, I save to the 'DONE' folder for Mr. Do to archive (maybe someday when 10k monitors are common, they'll get used). However, I do try to fill in any missing paint, even on the edges. If it's an area of solid color it's easy. Patterned areas, like half-toning dots are a little harder as you have to match up the spacing.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: Comboman]
#333868 - 10/27/14 10:20 PM

1) Like Combo said, I usually would post a very early stage WIP with the name of the game in the title of the thread.

2) That's a tough one. I would crop the very edges if necessary (although I haven't). As far as missing pieces, I have overlaid a low rez image of the high rez one to get an approximation to trace. I've completed a few that I would love to one day get another scan that has the missing part(s) and then update the original image.

I work on a full size scan then I upload it to the FTP then Mr Do resizes and does the whole zip.

I do it a little different, I usually trace an entire bezel. Boy does it take up a lot of memory. I'll sometimes lose work because the program crashes at some point from "not enough memory"

I'm glad to see things happening around here

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: Antny]
#333893 - 10/28/14 12:26 PM

Thanks, guys. It's good to hear how other people work.

Interesting to hear you crop the image to only show what was visible on the actual arcade cab, Comboman. When doing Legendary Wings I referenced this image:
http://www.retrokade.com/images/cabs/predators/lw5.jpg

The top only displays as much as the scan I worked on, so I didn't realize it was cropped, as Mr. Do says. Also, the entire bottom section of the bezel is hidden by the control panel!

When I worked on the scan, I first had to resize the image to 5000 pixels wide as my PC only has 3GB of mem, which causes PS to become very clunky to use on larger images.

As for avoiding having people working on the same scan, how about having a sticky thread that lists all available scans? Then we could post there to declare what scans we're going to be working on, and they could be removed from the list (or the person's name could be added alongside).

I want to have a go at Snow Bros next, BTW.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#333916 - 10/28/14 08:25 PM Attachment: lw.jpg 379 KB (9 downloads)

> Damn, I didn't know it was cropped. I guess there's a portion missing off the top?
>
> When you upload the full version, I think I may be able to just clean the cropped
> section and graft it onto the one I've done. However, if I'm not 100% satisfied with
> the results, I'll redo it. Man, I hope that's not the case as I spent a fair few
> hours doing this one.

It will probably be easier if you just start fresh. The two probably won't align exactly.

Uploaded. Here's a thumbnail. You can see where the other version is cropped a LOT on top, a bit on the left, and a bit more on the right.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

Re: Legendary Wings bezel new [Re: Mr. Do]
#333943 - 10/29/14 01:17 PM

Thanks, Mr Do.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3793