MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Source for a cheap Core 2 Duo motherboard?
#337046 - 02/19/15 08:01 AM

Trying to keep my Core 2 Duo desktop alive for a while longer, as my budget for replacing it is zip right now.

It's been flaky for a long time. In the cold, dry months, it hangs on a cold boot, usually on the Windows loading screen. Reset it and it boots fine. When the weather is warmer and wetter, say May through October, it boots fine.

I had a scare today which makes me think it's finally getting ready to fail for real. Turned it on today and the POST would only get to the point just before the SATA drives are enumerated and it would hang consistently. Went through the usual troubleshooting steps, and it finally booted when I pulled out all of the USB connections except the mouse.

So, does anyone know of a good place to get a dirt cheap LGA775 motherboard? The options on places like Newegg and Tigerdirect are pretty limited, and mostly cost more than I'm willing to dump into an old machine. Requirements are pretty minimal - DDR3 support, a few SATA ports, and a PCI-E slot for my video card.

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Source for a cheap Core 2 Duo motherboard? new [Re: DMala]
#337048 - 02/19/15 12:53 PM

Have you checked your BIOS settings? Maybe your CMOS battery needs replacing.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Source for a cheap Core 2 Duo motherboard? new [Re: DMala]
#337049 - 02/19/15 01:04 PM

Could be your power supply. Can you try another? Does the MB have bad caps? Look at them and see if they are bulging / leaking.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Source for a cheap Core 2 Duo motherboard? new [Re: redk9258]
#337050 - 02/19/15 05:31 PM

> Could be your power supply. Can you try another? Does the MB have bad caps? Look at
> them and see if they are bulging / leaking.

I inspected the caps, I don't see any that are obviously damaged.

The only other supply I have is a 450W Rosewill. It doesn't have enough connectors (or juice, presumably) to run my video card. I tried connecting it just to the motherboard, figuring if it worked the fans would spin up and I would get beep codes for the missing video, boot drives, etc. When I booted it, the fans would spin up, then stop, spin up, and stop, over and over. So it's not a definitive test, but I think it does point to a motherboard problem rather than the power supply.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Source for a cheap Core 2 Duo motherboard? new [Re: big10p]
#337051 - 02/19/15 05:33 PM

> Have you checked your BIOS settings? Maybe your CMOS battery needs replacing.

It booted one I pulled out all the USB cables, so I think the BIOS settings are OK. I'll take a look anyway tonight.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

ebay dude..... (nt) new [Re: DMala]
#337133 - 02/23/15 12:21 AM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2284