View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Call for more MESS artwork
#339228 - 04/23/15 06:11 PM

Gonna be updating the mess.org artwork page over the weekend, gonna try to add a few things that were missed previously and some of the new handheld contributions.

If you've anything languishing offline, now would be a good time to upload them.

- Stiletto

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Vectrex... new [Re: Stiletto]
#339313 - 04/27/15 01:29 AM

Has there been any news or updates regarding higher resolution scans of the Vectrex overlays? I thought there was something underway a while ago, but never saw anything come from it.

Some of that artwork is in desperate need of an update, being as low as 6XX x 8XX in some cases.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: Trebor]
#339317 - 04/27/15 09:47 AM

> Has there been any news or updates regarding higher resolution scans of the Vectrex
> overlays? I thought there was something underway a while ago, but never saw anything
> come from it.
>
> Some of that artwork is in desperate need of an update, being as low as 6XX x 8XX in
> some cases.

I've heard nothing new, I'm afraid.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#339319 - 04/27/15 12:06 PM

This brings up a question: who do I message to request MESS to have the ability to load graphics from a layout file depending on the game cartridge selected? I currently have 50 Atari 2600 artwork files that have to be selected with a command line switch and it would be great to have ONE artwork file for Atari 2600 with 50 images in the .zip.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#339347 - 04/28/15 04:49 AM

> I've heard nothing new, I'm afraid.
>
> LN

Bummer.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: Nightvoice]
#339348 - 04/28/15 04:57 AM Attachment: pole.PNG 11 KB (7 downloads)

> This brings up a question: who do I message to request MESS to have the ability to
> load graphics from a layout file depending on the game cartridge selected? I
> currently have 50 Atari 2600 artwork files that have to be selected with a command
> line switch and it would be great to have ONE artwork file for Atari 2600 with 50
> images in the .zip.

What you're requesting is generally how the Vectrex artwork is already set up to do. You have one *.lay file, with all *.png files images, in one *.zip file for the system.

The -view commend controls what artwork you want to appear. All views are specified in the one system lay file (I.E. vectrex.lay), along with all the respective *.png files, and zipped by the system name into the artwork folder (I.E. C:\MESS\artwork\vectrex.zip)

When the lay file is properly setup, you can issue the -view command with the respective ROM file such as:

mess.exe vectrex -cart "C:\ROMS\Vectrex\Pole Position (USA).zip" -view "Pole Position overlay"

All other 'views' for all the other overlays are setup in a similar fashion inside the same one *.lay file.

The view name "Pole Position overlay" is described this way inside the vectrex.lay file:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#339349 - 04/28/15 05:44 AM

> > This brings up a question: who do I message to request MESS to have the ability to
> > load graphics from a layout file depending on the game cartridge selected? I
> > currently have 50 Atari 2600 artwork files that have to be selected with a command
> > line switch and it would be great to have ONE artwork file for Atari 2600 with 50
> > images in the .zip.
>
> What you're requesting is generally how the Vectrex artwork is already set up to do.
> You have one *.lay file, with all *.png files images, in one *.zip file for the
> system.

He's requested this before, and what I think he really wants is that the usage of the softlist system AUTOMATICALLY selects the view. Which is an awesome idea, but the plumbing doesn't quite exist yet so far as I know.

- Stiletto

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: Stiletto]
#339356 - 04/28/15 11:20 AM

Correct, Stiletto. It would seem to me that if it were possible to save multiple .lay files to the .zip, each named with the rom name of a cartridge, there would be some means of having MESS load the correct .lay.

For now, I'll look into Trebor's idea.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: Call for more MESS artwork new [Re: Stiletto]
#339382 - 04/29/15 09:02 AM

Hi Stiletto, I added 45 artworks in my Mega public folder; you can check it is missing someone?

https://mega.co.nz/#F!shMCwboa!X5uL2dDszOHdpyLGETEUzg

Edited by AntoPISA (04/29/15 11:00 AM)

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#339423 - 04/30/15 10:05 AM

> > I've heard nothing new, I'm afraid.
> >
> > LN
>
> Bummer.

These few scans still live here and are in need of lay files/vectorization:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=312847

- Stiletto

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#341176 - 06/07/15 09:49 AM Attachment: Overlay.zip 352 KB (21 downloads)

I guess that my overlays, are nothing new to you, but you never know

I have some real overlays, but no scanner. I could try to picture them, if this is wanted.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: uman]
#341177 - 06/07/15 11:54 AM

> I guess that my overlays, are nothing new to you, but you never know
>
> I have some real overlays, but no scanner. I could try to picture them, if this is
> wanted.

We really need scans of the overlays (with a white background or a transparency adapter); pictures won't work well unless* you can exactly center the camera over the overlay and have it lying 100% flat, which isn't easy.

*and even if you do this, it won't be easy to process into a vector artwork, which is needed for proper artworkification at high res.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341181 - 06/07/15 04:15 PM

I appreciate the response, buy unfortunately nothing new there. Thank you anyway.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Vectrex... new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#341186 - 06/07/15 05:52 PM

> > I guess that my overlays, are nothing new to you, but you never know
> >
> > I have some real overlays, but no scanner. I could try to picture them, if this is
> > wanted.
>
> We really need scans of the overlays (with a white background or a transparency
> adapter); pictures won't work well unless* you can exactly center the camera over the
> overlay and have it lying 100% flat, which isn't easy.
>
> *and even if you do this, it won't be easy to process into a vector artwork, which is
> needed for proper artworkification at high res.

We got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk, Blitz, Clean Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star Hawk, and Star Trek back in August 2013...

- Stiletto

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341202 - 06/07/15 09:39 PM

The provided link, gives me only three titles, also which titles are missing?

I give them three a try... i can try to vectorize them, but making a layout file, is beyond my scope.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#341203 - 06/07/15 11:01 PM

> The provided link, gives me only three titles, also which titles are missing?

Are you replying to me? I didn't provide a link, but I'm talking about something that was shared privately. If someone's gonna give this a serious go, I'll make them available. They may be on the Artwork Project's FTP already, not sure (I don't have an account.)

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Ramtek Clean Sweep bezel? new [Re: Stiletto]
#341215 - 06/08/15 01:08 AM

>We got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk, Blitz, Clean
>Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star Hawk, and Star
>Trek back in August 2013...

Is the Clean Sweep that is on list happen to be Ramtek's Clean Sweep bezel? If it is Ramtek Clean Sweep bezel, did it also have blue acetate overlay sheet (actually taped to back side of bezel...not taped/mounted to monitor)?

If the Clean Sweep, provided by Al, is missing the blue acetate overlay, my bezel does have that piece taped to backside although the bezel that I have is in poor shape and will require extra work of having to retouch portions of bezel that have faded/worn off. I wanted to mention it in case another backup scan is needed of Clean Sweep.

Someone was willing to work on Clean Sweep bezel in case a quality scan becomes available somewhere.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

VECTREX Clean Sweep. new [Re: gregf]
#341225 - 06/08/15 02:28 AM

> > We got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk, Blitz, Clean
> > Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star Hawk, and
> Star
> > Trek back in August 2013...
>
> Is the Clean Sweep that is on list happen to be Ramtek's Clean Sweep bezel? If it is
> Ramtek Clean Sweep bezel, did it also have blue acetate overlay sheet (actually taped
> to back side of bezel...not taped/mounted to monitor)?

Slow your roll there, homeboy.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: VECTREX Clean Sweep. new [Re: Stiletto]
#341227 - 06/08/15 02:35 AM

> > > We got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk, Blitz, Clean
> > > Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star Hawk, and
> Star
> > Trek back in August 2013...
>
>> Is the Clean Sweep that is on list happen to be Ramtek's Clean Sweep bezel? If it is
>> Ramtek Clean Sweep bezel, did it also have blue acetate overlay sheet (actually taped
>> to back side of bezel...not taped/mounted to monitor)?

>Slow your roll there, homeboy.

No fair....you fooled me on this name entry....actually....."I blame Vectrex".

How dare they re-use Ramtek's very good game name. It should only be a name for Ramtek's game.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341235 - 06/08/15 09:51 AM

yeah, i replied to you .

you posted this link: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=312847

and there is this dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/319xd5496m1c4m3/8s86Jx3OiM

but it has only three files: Minestorm, Starhawk and Spinball.

I can vectorize them, if it is needed and I would like to know, which overlay files/games are missing, as I have some real overlays.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#341253 - 06/09/15 12:50 AM

> yeah, i replied to you .
>
> you posted this link:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=312847
>
> and there is this dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/319xd5496m1c4m3/8s86Jx3OiM
>
> but it has only three files: Minestorm, Starhawk and Spinball.
>
> I can vectorize them, if it is needed and I would like to know, which overlay
> files/games are missing, as I have some real overlays.

Oh, okay, I was a bit confused! I wasn't considering that month+ old post where I linked to another section of the forums as a "link", I thought you meant an outside link: it was actually Lord_Nightmare who posted the link to the Dropbox.

Like I said, we got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk, Blitz, Clean Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star Hawk, and Star Trek back in August 2013... Assuming those and the stuff from this Dropbox are all good enough to be cleaned up, vectorized and .lay files made, that would mean we still need to have decently scanned:
- Bedlam (GCE, 1982)
- Dark Tower (Prototype) (GCE, 1983)
- Fortress of Narzod (GCE, 1982)
- Heads Up (aka Soccer Football) (GCE, 1983)
- Mr. Boston Clean Sweep (GCE, 1982)
- Polar Rescue (GCE, 1983)
- Pole Position (GCE / Namco Ltd., 1983)
- Rip-Off (GCE, 1982)
- Space Wars (GCE, 1982)
- Spike (GCE, 1983)
- Star Castle (GCE, 1982)
- Star Ship (GCE, 1982)
- Web Warp (GCE, 1983)
- Web Wars (GCE, 1983)

After that is all done, we can start in on the homebrew overlays. Our current Vectrex artwork pack has artwork overlays for several homebrew games.

[EDIT] It seems Berzerk, Mine Storm, Scramble and Solar Quest have already been vectorized to EPS, assuming that they are accurate: http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/

Hope this helps.

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (06/09/15 12:55 AM)

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341272 - 06/09/15 11:57 AM

> Oh, okay, I was a bit confused! I wasn't considering that month+ old post where I
> linked to another section of the forums as a "link", I thought you meant an outside
> link: it was actually Lord_Nightmare who posted the link to the Dropbox.
>
> Like I said, we got some 100MB 600dpi TIFF scans from Al of Armor Attack, Berzerk,
> Blitz, Clean Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Hyper Chase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Spinball, Star
> Hawk, and Star Trek back in August 2013... Assuming those and the stuff from this
> Dropbox are all good enough to be cleaned up, vectorized and .lay files made, that
> would mean we still need to have decently scanned:
> - Bedlam (GCE, 1982)
> - Dark Tower (Prototype) (GCE, 1983)
> - Fortress of Narzod (GCE, 1982)
> - Heads Up (aka Soccer Football) (GCE, 1983)
> - Mr. Boston Clean Sweep (GCE, 1982)
> - Polar Rescue (GCE, 1983)
> - Pole Position (GCE / Namco Ltd., 1983)
> - Rip-Off (GCE, 1982)
> - Space Wars (GCE, 1982)
> - Spike (GCE, 1983)
> - Star Castle (GCE, 1982)
> - Star Ship (GCE, 1982)
> - Web Warp (GCE, 1983)
> - Web Wars (GCE, 1983)
>
> After that is all done, we can start in on the homebrew overlays. Our current Vectrex
> artwork pack has artwork overlays for several homebrew games.
>
> [EDIT] It seems Berzerk, Mine Storm, Scramble and Solar Quest have already been
> vectorized to EPS, assuming that they are accurate:
> http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> - Stiletto

Yeah, thanks, that helped indeed .
Now, i just need a "trusted source" of those overlays that are allready done . I checked your computer-classics link and I am wondering about the files I get. They are PDFs and are seperated into one color file and one alpha file. I am assuming those are prepared for people that want to reproduce or make those overlays for themselves. I am wondering especially about the alpha-file, as it seems wrong, if you intend to use it with MAME, mainly because the areas are not "filled" with black, except the copyright font text.
Do you have a good working layout file, that is done for MAME? So, I could take a look into it, how it is build. I just want to understand the logic behind it, as I think that i.e. Minestorm is not properly done. I am pretty sure that the crosshairs and coordinate system are not transparent on the original overlay, therefore the alpha is wrong, as there are no crosshairs+coordinate system included.
Once, I have a clue, how the layouts are working, I will start to vectorize missing files.
Other than this, the files are really decent in terms of quality. Maybe "overdone", as I think 300dpi would also be well enough, for vectorizing AND printing them.
I think I can help out, with some of the missing official overlays and also have the "red" Vector-Pilot overlay for the homebrew-section.

thx in advance.. u-man

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#341307 - 06/10/15 08:00 AM

> Now, i just need a "trusted source" of those overlays that are allready done.

I just PM'd you Al's scans.

For reference, these are the OLD overlays for the Vectrex.

http://www.mess.org/_media/artwork/vectrex.zip

Thing to keep in mind:
As of yet, MAME/MESS cannot automatically select artwork based on the name of the running software (either from the command-line or from the software lists). So you have to specify the desired "view" within the Vectrex artwork, which is described in the LAY file. For now, artwork support only easily extends to MAME arcade machines and computers/consoles/etc. - aka the BIOS sets.

You'd call it like so (example):

Code:

mame64 vectrex -cart C:\Users\stiletto\emulation\mame\software\vectrex\berzerk.zip -view berzerk

Or you can pick from the Video menu once it is running.

assuming artwork is in its default location of ..\artwork in the MAME folder. Short names are preferable. Or at least, that's how it WAS done.

> I checked your computer-classics link and I am wondering about the files I get. They
> are PDFs and are seperated into one color file and one alpha file. I am assuming
> those are prepared for people that want to reproduce or make those overlays for
> themselves. I am wondering especially about the alpha-file, as it seems wrong, if you
> intend to use it with MAME, mainly because the areas are not "filled" with black,
> except the copyright font text.

Yeah, I don't know. You may be right. It was just something I discovered earlier.

> Do you have a good working layout file, that is done for MAME? So, I could take a
> look into it, how it is build. I just want to understand the logic behind it, as I
> think that i.e. Minestorm is not properly done. I am pretty sure that the crosshairs
> and coordinate system are not transparent on the original overlay, therefore the
> alpha is wrong, as there are no crosshairs+coordinate system included.

Not sure what you're asking. You want to see some complex artwork? See, I dunno, Space Invaders - with seven views. Metal Slug 2, using multiple elements. "sc2drwho", with all sorts of blinking lights.

Or anything Comboman has posted to the Artwork forums here in the last year or so...

> Once, I have a clue, how the layouts are working, I will start to vectorize missing
> files.
> Other than this, the files are really decent in terms of quality. Maybe "overdone",
> as I think 300dpi would also be well enough, for vectorizing AND printing them.
> I think I can help out, with some of the missing official overlays and also have the
> "red" Vector-Pilot overlay for the homebrew-section.
>
> thx in advance.. u-man

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions, but this isn't my area of expertise.

- Stiletto

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341335 - 06/11/15 01:23 PM

Thanks Stiletto, that really helped a lot.
Regarding the layout files i asked for... i dont need complex ones, it is more that i thought that vectrex layout files would differ from MAME (arcade) ones, but it seems this is not the case and I know now, how i need to work to get desired results.

Next week, I will try some vectorizing on missing overlays .

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3805