Pages: 1

sean
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Tx
Send PM

Need advice on replacement monitor
#339515 - 05/02/15 09:47 PM

Hi I have a Atari dig dug that was converter to a Street Fighter 2 using the JAMA wire harness.
I added a PC running windows XP and MAME wah frontend.
I also used a Untimarc arcade VGA card in the PC and a Ultimarc J-pack interface.
It worked great for many years, but now the 19" Hanterex arcade monitor is going bad.
I need to replace it and iam not sure whitch route to go since there is a lot of new stuff out there now.
I would like to go with a LCD monitor, I saw on a YOUTUBE video a small board that will let you use a OLD lcd pc monitor . Will this work with the Arcade VGA board and j-pac ???
Also i saw a company selling a complete LCD monitor upgrade kit with everything but it's like 400 bucks .
Any advice on what would work best would be awesome.
Thanks for reading ....

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement monitor new [Re: sean]
#339568 - 05/03/15 05:08 PM

the arcadevga and jpac would still work yes
perhaps have a test using your eg. laptop if that's what you are using now, load up pacman and see if it looks ok to you on an lcd screen (some people don't like it and say it doesn't look 'authentic' if using an lcd screen.. some people are less fussy and don't care about that).
be aware with an lcd screen, if you end up getting an old lcd monitor, you might find the older lcd monitors especially cheaper brand ones might not have a very good response time. perhaps check the specs first before buying, and try to get a monitor with eg. 10ms response time or lower. if the monitor does not have a good response time you can end up with some lag (ie. when you move your joystick, your movement on the screen might not happen as 'instantly' as you hoped for.)
also be aware that your original arcade monitor could handle many different refresh rates which is useful for mame games. many lcd screens are not so flexible unfortunately, and might always be locked to eg. 60hz mode/refresh rate. this may or may not be a problem for you depending on your mame setup/settings.
one solution to using mame on an lcd monitor which only likes a 60hz video mode, is to use something like mameuifx, which allows you to run all mame games always in 60hz (the action/sound is either sped up/slowed down to achieve this, but it is done in a way so that the gameplay/sound still remains smooth without stuttering/jumping/jerkiness.. again, this sort of thing bothers some people, while others are not so fussy.)

sean
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Tx
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement monitor new [Re: grog]
#339572 - 05/03/15 06:07 PM

How do i find a pc lcd display that will fit.
Iam replacing a 19" pc monitor,
Do i need a square pc monitor, ( i mean not the new style like widescreen )
Or should i get a cheap 19 or 20 inch tv .
Kinda confused about finding one the will fit correctly and work correctly.
Last night i ordered one of those cga to vga converter boards .
I read online that the monitor need auto power on , since you cant push the power button.
No to find a monitor.

Edited by sean (05/03/15 06:10 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement monitor new [Re: sean]
#339619 - 05/04/15 04:32 PM

> Hi I have a Atari dig dug that was converter to a Street Fighter 2 using the JAMA
> wire harness.
> I added a PC running windows XP and MAME wah frontend.
> I also used a Untimarc arcade VGA card in the PC and a Ultimarc J-pack interface.
> It worked great for many years, but now the 19" Hanterex arcade monitor is going bad.

How's it going bad? Most monitor failures can be fixed with a cap kit, at which point you're back to like-new picture quality for many years. Obviously you'd need to find someone experienced with electronics to install it, but it would help preserve what is, in my opinion, one of the best benefits of having an arcade cabinet.

Alternatively, if you've got your mind set on LCD, at least try and sell or give away the monitor to someone who can restore it.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement monitor new [Re: R. Belmont]
#339643 - 05/05/15 07:01 AM

It could need a cap kit, but a common failure on Hantarex monitors is the flyback transformer. Mine started sparking/arcing so it was pretty obvious it was going bad.

It's not that hard to replace with average soldering skills and tools. A solder sucker and/or de-soldering wick is pretty much required.

If he doesn't have soldering skills, any competent TV/Electronics repair shop should be able to diagnose and repair it.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2147