Pages: 1

Bad Bard
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/26/04
Send PM

Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB
#340474 - 05/26/15 03:06 PM

Hi!

I have a Galaga cabinet that is missing all internal wiring/PCBs. I was hoping to find a replacement Galaga board that I could buy, but I have thus far come up empty handed.

I'm not interested in installing an old crusty unreliable original PCB. I want new hardware and I want something as close to the original as possible.

So I think my only options are:

1. Stick a PC inside the machine and run the latest MAME
2. Stick a Raspberry Pi inside the machine and run an older, less accurate version of MAME

Right now, I'm leaning towards #1 for the accuracy. However, I'd much prefer a solid-state solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have no problem spending some money on this... I just need some guidance of what would give me the best accuracy and reliability.

Thanks,

Bad Bard

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: Bad Bard]
#340478 - 05/26/15 10:56 PM

Found a pcb in less than a minute. https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=GALAGABOARDSET

I'd stay clear of Raspberry Pi. How about one of those Intel mini PCs?
How about this... http://www.fpgaarcade.com/

http://www.pin4.at/pro_arcade_galaga.php

Edited by redk9258 (05/26/15 11:10 PM)

Bad Bard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: redk9258]
#340485 - 05/27/15 05:45 AM

Hi,

I actually did see that link, but like I said, I want new hardware. I've purchased and messed around with Galaga PCBs in the past enough to know that I'm fed up with it.

I did see the FPGA project, but I don't see any way to order. It looks like those FPGA boards are way back-ordered or just plain unavailable. That site really doesn't make it clear how to order or how long it will take to get one. I was hoping to do this project in the next few weeks... not the next few months.

Bad Bard

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#340521 - 05/27/15 04:35 PM

> Right now, I'm leaning towards #1 for the accuracy. However, I'd much prefer a
> solid-state solution.

Boot the PC off an SSD and use the minimum CPU necessary to cover the games you play and you'll be close to solid-state. Or look into something like a Gigabyte BRIX.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#340678 - 05/29/15 07:57 PM

ncv1 pcb FTW!

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: R. Belmont]
#340684 - 05/30/15 12:11 AM

> Boot the PC off an SSD and use the minimum CPU necessary to cover the games you play and you'll be close to solid-state. Or look into something like a Gigabyte BRIX.

Pricey on the latter....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: Traso]
#340732 - 05/30/15 06:44 PM

> > Boot the PC off an SSD and use the minimum CPU necessary to cover the games you
> play and you'll be close to solid-state. Or look into something like a Gigabyte BRIX.
>
>
> Pricey on the latter....

You get what you pay for. You can play with weird sound, wrong colors, and frame hiccups on a Raspberry Pi while masturbating over the money you saved, or you can do it right.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#340735 - 05/30/15 07:15 PM

What about one of those newer Ms. Pacman/Galaga PCBs?

ole
MAME Porter
Reged: 02/09/14
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: R. Belmont]
#340770 - 05/31/15 12:39 PM

> > > Boot the PC off an SSD and use the minimum CPU necessary to cover the games you
> > play and you'll be close to solid-state. Or look into something like a Gigabyte
> BRIX.
> >
> >
> > Pricey on the latter....
>
> You get what you pay for. You can play with weird sound, wrong colors, and frame
> hiccups on a Raspberry Pi while masturbating over the money you saved, or you can do
> it right.

I would not be surprised if Brad O. could compile his own port of latest MAME for Rpi2 (note the number two), which should have more than enough horsepower to play galaga flawlesly. I works perfectly on my Beaglebone Black (btw. I invest my saved cents to my hobby projects )

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Need advice on replacement for Galaga PCB new [Re: ole]
#341217 - 06/08/15 01:11 AM

> > > > Boot the PC off an SSD and use the minimum CPU necessary to cover the games you
> > > play and you'll be close to solid-state. Or look into something like a Gigabyte
> > BRIX.
> > >
> > >
> > > Pricey on the latter....
> >
> > You get what you pay for. You can play with weird sound, wrong colors, and frame
> > hiccups on a Raspberry Pi while masturbating over the money you saved, or you can
> do
> > it right.
>
> I would not be surprised if Brad O. could compile his own port of latest MAME for
> Rpi2 (note the number two), which should have more than enough horsepower to play
> galaga flawlesly. I works perfectly on my Beaglebone Black (btw. I invest my saved
> cents to my hobby projects )

~...Looks over at beaglebone black he got from some random visit to TI...scratches head...~

Bad Bard
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341317 - 06/10/15 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I ended up going with a Raspberry Pi. If this cab had any original hardware inside of it at all, I probably would have attempted to salvage it and keep everything original.

I spent several hours screwing with the Raspbian distribution to get it perfect. There were issues that needed to be resolved from hissing audio to inadequate screen resolution. When I turn on my Galaga machine now, I now get a black screen for a few seconds and then Galaga starts without any Linux text or Raspberry Pi logo ever showing up on the screen.

This probably cost me more money in time and effort than buying a 35 year old Galaga board... but my goal here was reliability. I'd be happy to share my Raspbian image if there is any interest. The only noticeable difference between a real Galaga machine and this one is that the screen is black for a few seconds longer when you first turn it on. That is a reasonable trade-off for my purposes.

Thanks,

Bad Bard

Edited by Brad O. (06/10/15 04:32 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2603