View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

PC issue - bios flash gorked it
#362296 - 01/06/17 10:06 AM

So I wanted to upgrade the bios on a machine. I did through a Win utility provided with the bios. Re-started. Bios booted and showed the new number. Re-started machine....and, one long beep.

Nothing unusual apparently. Tried all the suggested bios recovery. Nothing.

Unplugged Everything. Everything. Replaced ram with working ram from identical machine. Nope. Still no recovery either.

The thing is, it beeps right on power-up. Not the normal 'press power button, button lights, pause, then beep, then boot'. Right At The application of power.

No keyboard lights, though. Yet all the ports have power; phone charges through them.

Did the mobo just take a shit or what?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

nvm new [Re: Traso]
#362297 - 01/06/17 10:30 AM

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: PC issue - bios flash gorked it new [Re: Traso]
#362298 - 01/06/17 10:56 AM

Are you sure you flashed the correct BIOS file for your board?

Have you checked to see if there's a hardware jumper to reset the BIOS settings? Maybe the previous settings have borked the update somehow.

Is it one of the ASUS motherboards that supports BIOS recovery (flashback?) via USB flash drive?

If not, is it one of those motherboards that has a dual BIOS with a recovery jumper?

Back in the day, I recall people doing something really sketchy called "hot flashing" the BIOS. Basically, it involved finding an identical motherboard, booting it up, pulling the BIOS chip WHILE THE PC WAS RUNNING (I know WTF, right?) then plugging in the dead BIOS chip and re-flashing it. Personally, I think this is nuts, but people did it.
More info... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showt...rking-BIOS-Chip

Assuming your board has a removable BIOS chip, maybe you can find someone to re-flash your chip with a programmer or something. Or contact the manufacturer, maybe you can purchase a new pre-flashed chip.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#362303 - 01/06/17 11:16 PM

> So I wanted to upgrade the bios on a machine. I did through a Win utility provided

That's where you went wrong.

I only use ASUS EZ Flash and I've flashed bunches of different boards hundreds of times. Never had a single issue with the exception of minor bugs getting introduced which results in a fix rolling out later on.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: PC issue - bios flash gorked it new [Re: B2K24]
#362311 - 01/07/17 02:23 AM

> > So I wanted to upgrade the bios on a machine. I did through a Win utility provided

> That's where you went wrong.

Someone else on a support forum said 'don't use that'. Which I found afteward of course.

@krick: the bios is correct - this machine right here has it. It's an Acer - explains it all, right? That's what I'm finding. There's very little information on it. None of the manuals talk about the components, let alone have any pictures. There's one set of pins near the battery which are obviously the reset jumpers. Didn't have a sleeve on it. I put one on the lower two pins and nothing changes. Put it on the upper two and the thing won't even power on.

How can there be power at the usb port but nothing on the keyboard? Isn't even a usb keyboard an on/off kind of thing?

Others in the same situation have recovered, though.

I'm not even sure where the bios chip is by looking at it. I see no bios reset switch or dual bios switch.

Thought maybe it wanted the hdmi connected instead vga, but not. Also, re-trying cmos clearing according to online sources didn't fix it.

I'm not doing anything weird. I'll just buy a new mobo or machine if it's not recoverable. I could've had a new machine here or almost here by now, but I have a hard time writing stuff off till I hafta.

@Robbbert: yeah, probably. The old 'don't fuck with it until it's broken already' holds true. Pretty much does for me.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: PC issue - bios flash gorked it new [Re: krick]
#363303 - 02/07/17 06:31 PM

I've done a few hot flashes of the bios. It works.

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

#363311 - 02/07/17 11:02 PM

I'd say either your BIOS flash didn't flash correctly, or you flashed a BIOS file that was incompatible with the BIOS on your board. Always remember whenever flashing keep a backup of the original BIOS file that way you can re-flash it back. Of course saying that is probably too late now. You can probably download the old version from the mfgs website. Also always clear the BIOS and set to defaults after flashing any new file.

cyberdman

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Moot point replying since he's banned? LOL <NT> new [Re: Traso]
#363319 - 02/08/17 04:41 AM

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Moot point replying since he's banned? LOL <NT> new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#363323 - 02/08/17 10:03 AM

A bad decision to flash in a windows environment and then a bad decision to flash nips in teh bin.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1541