MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II
#370371 - 10/17/17 12:11 AM Attachment: Bradley Trainer.JPG 2007 KB (1 downloads)

Here are links to all of my photos of the games listed.

Bradley Trainer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PGTA9Hfd0LI3hbk72

Tail Gunner 2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CB7Ty4G34v0chhzj1

Top Secret
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrBW0b69RESKBpDr2

Sega Star Trek Cockpit
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5r5jdijkkXUYNnTz2

Cosmic Monsters
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAoADFLuTdL4hiQl2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q7ubMyQcJDd9XiHx1

ICC BiPlane
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQmRXIM83uUUnmYh2

These titles were chosen because they were close to the doors and needed to move to get at the Bradley Trainer.

Cosmic Monsters kept blowing a fuse for the lighting behind the bugs. I was able to get 1 snapshot.

Apologies but Devil Zone was not available. We hope its in the one storage locker we could not visit last week.

I will be visiting again this week to bring Bradley Trainer back. So any desired new pictures, tell me.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by TrevEB (10/17/17 04:54 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer and Cosmic Monsters II *edit* new [Re: TrevEB]
#370374 - 10/17/17 02:11 AM

>Here are links to all of my photos of the games listed.

Good photos there. Thanks for making them available.

>Bradley Trainer

Any chance a scan can be done with the marquee piece? If not, okay. Also when cab is fully assembled again, will it be possible to power cab and make video/audio recordings later?

In fact, does the cab use any backdrop artwork piece? Or some color overlay acetate piece? Such as what is done with some black/white monitors such as Midway 8080 games.

> Cosmic Monsters II
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAoADFLuTdL4hiQl2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q7ubMyQcJDd9XiHx1

>Cosmic Monsters kept blowing a fuse for the lighting behind the bugs. I was able to get 1
>snapshot.

Has the artwork overlay already been done for Cosmic Monsters II?

There is an existing layout, but maybe some issues with this still needing to be resolved as for this game.

src/mame/layout/cosmicm.lay

src/mame/drivers/8080bw.cpp

There are two sets of roms and already a comparison is really, really needed.

The cosmicmo could be the real Cosmic Monsters II, but you have a chance to do some comparing since there is a cab there to access. Fortunately whoever added cosmicmo rom set did provide a pcb part number and also provided a rom decal description.

--
ROM_START( cosmicmo ) /* Roms stamped with "II", denoting version II */

ROM_LOAD( "ii-1.h1",

/* There is no colour circuits or tracking on the game pcb, its a black and white composite video signal only */
/* The PCB is etched with Universal 7814A-3 */
--

This is an older rom file set described as Cosmic Monsters II.

ROM_START( cosmicm2 )
ROM_REGION( 0x10000, "maincpu", 0 )
ROM_LOAD( "3907.bin", 0x0000, 0x1000, CRC(bbffede6)

--

Both entries load up the same artwork layout file. It looks like another cleanup job to get Cosmic Monsters II straightened out.

--
GAMEL(1979, cosmicmo, invaders, cosmicmo, cosmicmo, _8080bw_state, 0, ROT270, "Taito / Universal", "Cosmic Monsters (version II)", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_cosmicm ) // unclassified, licensed or bootleg?
GAMEL(1979, cosmicm2, invaders, cosmicmo, cosmicmo, _8080bw_state, 0, ROT270, "Taito / Universal", "Cosmic Monsters 2", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE, layout_cosmicm ) // unclassified, licensed or bootleg?
--

A very enlarge closeup of the monitor screen area by itself (photos of when powered on and also powered off) will be very handy in case artwork overlay work needs to be redone.

If Cosmic Monsters II is in playable shape, video/audio recordings will also be useful just to determine if analog/discrete audio sound effects are similar to Space Invaders?

Edited by gregf (10/17/17 04:10 AM)

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: gregf]
#370376 - 10/17/17 02:22 AM

The marquee of the Bradley trainer probably cannot be removed as it appears it has flaked and adhered to the plexiglass. I will be taking a closer look at the centerpiece to and see if that can be safely removed. The game is playing blind right now. I'll have to take a look and see if there is a gel over the B/W vector monitor.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: TrevEB]
#370379 - 10/17/17 02:51 AM

Thanks for doing current crop of photos.

> The marquee of the Bradley trainer probably cannot be removed as it appears it has flaked >and adhered to the plexiglass.

Bummer, but not surprised regarding the ageing condition.

>I will be taking a closer look at the centerpiece to and see if that can be safely removed.

In case current control panel photos might be missing any remaining specific details of control panel and side buttons etc, hopefully other photos will cover all of that on next round of photos. Hopefully there will be enough for cab modelers to work with.

>The game is playing blind right now. I'll have to take a look and see if there is a gel
>over the B/W vector monitor.

Darn. I am curious if Bradley Trainer uses any backdrop pieces and also you describe some overlay /acetate sheet that provides any color effect.

If cab can be back in running condition later, I hope video/audio recordings can be done in case there are any analog/discrete audio generated that aren't in Battlezone.

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: gregf]
#370388 - 10/17/17 04:59 PM Attachment: 51C036C8-447E-40CE-BF4D-C06216C2EE9E.jpeg 1459 KB (0 downloads)

I’ll also look into dissassembling the dial control. I’ll just bring my scanner with me I think.

> > I will be taking a closer look at the centerpiece to
> In case current control panel photos might be missing any remaining specific details
> of control panel and side buttons etc, hopefully other photos will cover all of that
> on next round of photos. Hopefully there will be enough for cab modelers to work
> with.

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: TrevEB]
#370412 - 10/18/17 09:04 PM

>I’ll also look into dissassembling the dial control. I’ll just bring my scanner with me I think.

Good luck. I hope scanning the parts will work out.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#370425 - 10/19/17 04:31 PM Attachment: BradleyTrainer.png 1674 KB (1 downloads)

Well, shit... I had hoped this was just a re-hash of the Battle Zone marquee, but it seems there are subtle differences.

Attachment

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: Nightvoice]
#370431 - 10/19/17 07:22 PM

Freekin WOW! Nice job!
So very cool.

TrevEB
Send PM

#370449 - 10/20/17 05:29 PM Attachment: 701E8D98-7CB3-4779-B31A-B0D02DC77124.jpeg 2117 KB (0 downloads)

More photos have been added to the album showing details about the yoke along with more interior photos and a couple movies of the game play.

Note that there is no green gel in this cabinet. The game certainly looks better in green but the monitor has no sign that a gel was ever attached to it.

The black cardboard bezel is also missing however there is worn double sided tape that suggests the black bezel could have existed. Maybe it was pulled out to use in a battlezone.

So accurate emulation would be b/w vector.
Let’s include the gel anyway.

Also, the atari volcano buttons do not lite on the front panels.
If possible, lets have an option to lite them because it would help a lot to know which weapons are in use. You do get on screen indication of the weapon in use but not Hi Lo variants.

I believe that the thumb and lower finger buttons on the yoke both control “fast spin” I’ll get that verified.

Finally, a comparison photo of BT and BZ.
Note the custom bends in the new face plate for a vertical plane for the yoke. About half the distance for the horizontal plane that use to be for the dual sticks.

TrevEB

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Atari Bradley Trainer, Tail Gunner 2, Top Secret, Star Trek Cockpit, and Cosmic Monsters II new [Re: Nightvoice]
#370451 - 10/20/17 05:40 PM

Nightvoice,

The owner loves your work!

The Bradley Fighter emblem is a sticker on top of the art so if you get to to creating it, it makes sense to have it separate as a layer.

The center art that replaces the BZ instructions is a sticker. Maybe at some point I can find a handheld scanner I could hold up to it but for now the photos will have to do.

No easy way to disassemble the range dial. I was afraid to put to much pressure on the dial knob.

I also had to back off removing the Big plastic front of the cabinet to get at the bezel at the owners request. Fear that the art might crumble away.

It is very much a magic marker and colored pencil piece.

I’ve added more pictures to the album detailing the yoke.

TrevEB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1666