MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork
#374218 - 02/28/18 05:54 AM Attachment: gnw_smb.zip 3235 KB (76 downloads)

I made another attempt at creating an artwork zip for G&W SMB that displays, not just the original handheld device, but all three form factors that it appeared as, including the highly coveted limited edition YM-901 that was given away as prizes for the Famicom F-1 Grand Prix game. While the quality is fairly high, none of them really came out as perfectly as I wanted to, as I couldn't find better images. Here are some notes:

• Widescreen YM-105: This one came out that best as it is the most widely available, and there were more than enough great pictures to choose from. My only complaint about this one is the lack of background "sheen" that was typically present in LCD displays.
  • Crystal-Screen YM-801: I was actually quite happy with the device image that I found, although it's a bit on the light side. But there are two problems with the display. The first is that these crystal screen G&Ws had an odd glass-like display, and replicating that through artwork is next to impossible. More importantly, the crystal screen had a distinctly different background image, which had two sets of three triangles on either side of the screen, instead of the red coloring. I tried really hard to find a way to capture that, but none of the images were high enough quality, and I just gave up.
  • F-1 Grand Prix YM-901: Google around if you want to find out more about this. There was one incredibly amazing image, but unfortunately it had two fingers on the top and bottom of it and as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get rid of them and make the device look whole again. So I settled on a lower quality image that was complete. Other than that, it has the same issue as the Widescreen version, i.e. the lack of LCD background sheen.

Anyway, give it a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy.

Edited by Procyon (02/28/18 05:54 AM)

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/11/18
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: Procyon]
#374592 - 03/11/18 12:20 PM

Very nice. Tested and feels like the original G&W (I only have the widescreen version).
Are you planning to do a version with button animation?

I own a few G&W if you want new scan of SMB or others let me know.

hydef
Reged: 04/10/16
Send PM

#374794 - 03/17/18 07:41 AM Attachment: gnw_smb.zip 3488 KB (22 downloads)

> F-1 Grand Prix YM-901: Google around if you want to find out more about this. There was one incredibly amazing image, but unfortunately it had two fingers on the top and bottom of it and as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get rid of them and make the device look whole again. So I settled on a lower quality image that was complete. Other than that, it has the same issue as the Widescreen version, i.e. the lack of LCD background sheen.

I fixed those issues with the image you mentioned and added a more realistic screen. It's still not super-high res but fine for me on my small monitor.

MAME Artwork / Artwork Previews

Procyon
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: mwtarub]
#375129 - 03/26/18 11:11 PM

Hey sorry, what I provided was the extent of my abilities. I was hoping it would just be a start and people with more skill than I could take over and do stuff like button animations, which I don't know how to do.

Procyon
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: hydef]
#375130 - 03/26/18 11:18 PM

Thanks for your work. This was the image I was talking about in the sentence you highlighted:

http://dixonbaxi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/DB_BLOG_BOOK_20151020_0007_Layer-4CB-6.jpg

It's huge and really high quality, but those fingers... Is that what you used as a base image?

Edited by Procyon (03/26/18 11:20 PM)

hydef
Send PM

#375133 - 03/27/18 01:57 AM

Yes, same image. I was going to just remove them but thought to just flip the left side and that would would do it, assuming the light was being cast equally from up top.

I vectored the basic blue unit, too. Just not sure if I've finished it yet.

[Removed image]

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375145 - 03/27/18 09:24 PM

> Hey sorry, what I provided was the extent of my abilities. I was hoping it would just
> be a start and people with more skill than I could take over and do stuff like button
> animations, which I don't know how to do.

Don't worry. I though you were collecting images for making new g&w bezels. We both wanted the same. Thanks anyway for sharing those layouts.

> Yes, same image. I was going to just remove them but thought to just flip the left
> side and that would would do it, assuming the light was being cast equally from up
> top.
>
> I vectored the basic blue unit, too. Just not sure if I've finished it yet.

Great! Very faithful recreation. I don't like very much the white background because makes the game screen very small, but it's easy to disable if wanted.
Would be very nice if you could make the rest of g&w bezels but it's a lot of work.
Thank you very much for sharing.

hydef
Send PM

#375147 - 03/27/18 09:34 PM

I'll certainly try to make others once I'm done with this. Only problem is finding the little pieces of art with the likes of Donkey Kong Jr. or Mario's Cement Factory.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375148 - 03/27/18 10:05 PM

> I'll certainly try to make others once I'm done with this. Only problem is finding
> the little pieces of art with the likes of Donkey Kong Jr. or Mario's Cement Factory.

I don't have those to send you a photo.

I bough time ago a g&w book, and in the author's page there are good photos of every g&w game but, unfortunately in low resolution http://www.gameandwatch.at/katalog/21/donkey-kong-jr.html.
I contacted the author about if he was interested in share the original photos but he told me that he had sold them.

Anyway, if you do a google image search with any of those photos you can see some results in high resolution. I don't know if you could use any for making the bezel.

Edit: Here you have a photo of the art in a decent condition https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mario/images/6/67/Dkjrgameandwatch.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160721214924

Edited by mwtarub (03/27/18 10:22 PM)

hydef
Send PM

#375149 - 03/27/18 10:33 PM

The 2nd link is tiny

He sold the original photos? Damn. Could you maybe find who he sold them to?

I've looked everywhere for high-res stuff and even though about buying that book but it really wouldn't be worth it. There doesn't seem to be a great source for these but a lot is still do-able with what there is.

Btw, if you wanted a good DK Jr, just rip the one from pica-pic. Even the animated buttons. I just didn't want to.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375150 - 03/27/18 11:02 PM

There are some photos with higher resolutions at google images but with less quality (blurry, poor light, taken from bad angle...)

The photos of the book are very small, don't have enough quality for a decent scan. The author didn't seem very interested in share the pictures, that's why I didn't insist on the request.

Maybe if a reader of this forum owns the game and wants to take a photo... we will be very grateful.

hydef
Send PM

#375159 - 03/28/18 05:54 AM

In the meantime.. WIP. Need to find a source for that missing bit of art. It's not on the box or instructions.

[Removed image]

NeoKarnage
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/13/16
Send PM

#375174 - 03/28/18 10:24 PM Attachment: bezel.png 1215 KB (9 downloads)

Awesome work guys. How about using the image Procyon used in his previous Donkey Kong Jr. bezel release for the missing art?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: NeoKarnage]
#375177 - 03/28/18 10:50 PM

I could but I'd personally need something a bit better to do a proper copy from. That's from pica-pic, btw. Great website.

Procyon
Send PM

#375179 - 03/28/18 11:18 PM

Ugh... I actually hate that pic because the of the way I tried to snip the top of the display. I see it every time. Like these SMB skins, I was hoping it would serve more for inspiration.

@hydef What missing piece of art are you talking about? Are you talking about the upper right corner of the cage? Because that's part of the LCD display, you shouldn't need to provide it. I assume I'm misunderstanding something.

hydef
Send PM

#375181 - 03/29/18 12:39 AM

Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong with the silver key. Yes, the cage is partly unlocked/missing because I got the first key in the game. That's just it running in MAME.

Procyon
Send PM

#375195 - 03/29/18 03:29 PM

Oh geez, I'm not sure how I missed that the artwork on the left was missing... And you just made a whole lot of Donkey Kong continuity fans angry by calling junior Diddy Kong

But yeah, I could see how getting clean artwork for that would be difficult. Still, beautiful job so far. Will be far superior to my effort.

NeoKarnage
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/13/16
Send PM

#375199 - 03/29/18 05:27 PM

> I could but I'd personally need something a bit better to do a proper copy from.
> That's from pica-pic, btw. Great website.

What would be the ideal resolution for the artwork to be incorporated into your bezel?

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: NeoKarnage]
#375212 - 03/30/18 12:12 AM

It's ok, I did a vector from something online.. Cheers.

hydef
Send PM

#375368 - 04/04/18 05:35 AM

You can download these 3 on my drive. They now have animated buttons.

[Removed image]

[Removed image]

[Removed image]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IbSRYTfKoKDgZfJZTZdnKFSpBvCvgJZV

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#375375 - 04/05/18 04:20 AM

> You can download these 3 on my drive. They now have animated buttons.
>
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IbSRYTfKoKDgZfJZTZdnKFSpBvCvgJZV

Holy Smoke. Those look great.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: Dullaron]
#375376 - 04/05/18 04:26 AM

Thank you.

I'm not able to squeeze any more resolution from them so 1920x1080 it is. Also got a few others almost ready in this style but they're not emulated yet.

Dullaron
Send PM

#375377 - 04/05/18 07:46 AM

> Thank you.
>
> I'm not able to squeeze any more resolution from them so 1920x1080 it is.

Welcome.

Those will be fine on that size. Edit: Look great on my screen. 2560x1440

> Also got a few others almost ready in this style but they're not emulated yet.

Which ones?

hydef
Send PM

#375381 - 04/05/18 07:35 PM

>Those will be fine on that size. Edit: Look great on my screen. 2560x1440

Sweet.

There's Octopus, Parachute, Fire, Popeye, Snoopy Tennis, Balloon Fight.

Also, Egg and Mickey Mouse (both emulated) but have no backgrounds.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375385 - 04/05/18 09:01 PM

Glad to hear that more artwork is coming. I hope this will increase the interest in dumping more G&W roms.

About the new ones posted, why haven't you reused the Super Mario Bros design for the other two? I would prefer the same design for all games, but it's a great work anyway. Nice addition the animated buttons too.

Would be nice to have a pinned post with the whole G&W art. In this one is less visible.

hydef
Send PM

#375387 - 04/05/18 09:07 PM

Balloon Fight and Climber are also like Super Mario Bros. in that they have a sorta matte finish, no grain with a different mound around the screen.

Dullaron
Send PM

#375388 - 04/05/18 09:21 PM Attachment: Untitled.png 1839 KB (1 downloads)

> Also, Egg and Mickey Mouse (both emulated) but have no backgrounds.

Those will show up down the road.

But some need to be replace. Example kcontra and kdribble need a better one. Look like those been wet and damage.

Attachment

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375390 - 04/05/18 09:49 PM

> Balloon Fight and Climber are also like Super Mario Bros. in that they have a sorta
> matte finish, no grain with a different mound around the screen.

I was talking about this metal frame in Donkey Kong Jr and Mario's cement factory.
Super Mario Bros has a cleaner and "emulated" (recreated) look, while the other two are a mixture between real and recreated. I prefer the fully recreated design.
Is not possible to reuse the Super Mario art for the other two and for future releases?

Edit: By the way, glad to see that you found the little art for the games. I tried to contact again with the author of the G&W book but he didn't answer. Google images will be the best way to obtain the art I'm afraid.

Edited by mwtarub (04/05/18 09:56 PM)

hydef
Send PM

#375392 - 04/05/18 10:12 PM

But it's supposed to be a completely different mound and they're all a mixture of real and fake. I ditched the idea of going all vector when I was trying to do the metal, actually and I thought nothing would be better than the real thing.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375393 - 04/05/18 10:32 PM

Well, in the "official" artwork (screens only) the LCD images are vectorized while the backgrounds are actual scans so, in this case is also a mixture between real and recreated.

About the bezels, use a vectorized image allows to standarize the design in all the G&W and avoid the imperfections (like the bended frame in DK and MCF). But I'm not sure about the additional work could represent to you.

hydef
Send PM

#375395 - 04/05/18 11:35 PM

Oh, you meant making a scaleable bezel like the svgs.

Not going to happen ) I could have done that with the dual screen Mario Bros maybe but I like keeping the original raster backgrounds from these games if possible. I still end up making bits here in there in vector but I don't care for scaling them for a number of reasons, mainly that they're supposed to be played at a distance and I don't care for crazy resolutions for MAME or old games.

Btw, I asked someone if they could photograph their games and they said they'd help so that might lead to some good stuff.

I added Mickey Mouse and Egg to the drive. Incomplete but might as well put those out there.

And a preview of Balloon Fight, hoping it'll become emulated in the near future.

[Removed image]

[Removed image]

[Removed image]

Dullaron
Send PM

#375403 - 04/06/18 05:24 AM

> Oh, you meant making a scaleable bezel like the svgs.
>
> Not going to happen ) I could have done that with the dual screen Mario Bros maybe
> but I like keeping the original raster backgrounds from these games if possible. I
> still end up making bits here in there in vector but I don't care for scaling them
> for a number of reasons, mainly that they're supposed to be played at a distance and
> I don't care for crazy resolutions for MAME or old games.
>
> Btw, I asked someone if they could photograph their games and they said they'd help
> so that might lead to some good stuff.
>
> I added Mickey Mouse and Egg to the drive. Incomplete but might as well put those out
> there.
>
> And a preview of Balloon Fight, hoping it'll become emulated in the near future.

Are you gonna send those to Mr Do so he can host those? The finish ones.

hydef
Send PM

#375404 - 04/06/18 05:37 AM

It's probably not a good idea because I tend to keep changing things )

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375415 - 04/06/18 03:31 PM

> Oh, you meant making a scaleable bezel like the svgs.
>
> Not going to happen ) I could have done that with the dual screen Mario Bros maybe
> but I like keeping the original raster backgrounds from these games if possible. I
> still end up making bits here in there in vector but I don't care for scaling them
> for a number of reasons, mainly that they're supposed to be played at a distance and
> I don't care for crazy resolutions for MAME or old games.
>
> Btw, I asked someone if they could photograph their games and they said they'd help
> so that might lead to some good stuff.
>
> I added Mickey Mouse and Egg to the drive. Incomplete but might as well put those out
> there.
>
> And a preview of Balloon Fight, hoping it'll become emulated in the near future.

No, PNG it's more than OK. I was talking about the metal frame surrounding the screen that has Nintendo and the name of the G&W game printed on it.
In MCF and DKJr looks like part of a photography with bended parts and brighter and darker areas, while in the rest of your designs looks uniform in shape and in color. I was thinking of an uniform design for all the games, but this is a personal opinion only.

Nice to know that art for unemulated G&W is coming. I would like more dumps of G&W (and Bandai, Casio...) instead of Tiger, but considering how difficult and how expensive is dumping this kind of games I am thankful for the available ones.

I own a few G&W if you need any photos let me know.

hydef
Send PM

#375425 - 04/06/18 05:13 PM

>In MCF and DKJr looks like part of a photography with bended parts and brighter and darker areas, while in the rest of your designs looks uniform in shape and in color. I was thinking of an uniform design for all the games, but this is a personal opinion only.

Ah, ok. It's the best I can do right now with the images I have, basically google. If you have any at all and can photograph them clearly that would be great. Scannning doesn't seem to produce better results unless it's a CCD.

Donkey Kong II is something that's emulated but we don't have a great image for it. I found a couple of scans but was holding out for something better.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375431 - 04/06/18 06:25 PM

I don't have MCF or DKJr nor a CCD scanner, but I have Donkey Kong II. I will try to upload a photo tomorrow or maybe Sunday.

wizwar
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/07/18
Send PM

#375439 - 04/07/18 12:21 AM Attachment: IMG_0366.JPG 5028 KB (2 downloads)

my camera and lighting is not good but just in case here

Attachment

Edited by wizwar (04/07/18 12:34 AM)

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: wizwar]
#375440 - 04/07/18 12:21 AM Attachment: IMG_0370.JPG 4930 KB (0 downloads)

Attachment

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375441 - 04/07/18 12:22 AM Attachment: IMG_0369.JPG 4858 KB (0 downloads)

and

Attachment

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375442 - 04/07/18 12:23 AM Attachment: IMG_0327.JPG 4927 KB (1 downloads)

clamshell top

Attachment

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375443 - 04/07/18 12:24 AM Attachment: IMG_0331.JPG 4740 KB (0 downloads)

i Dont Know if you need more handhelds but:

WWF Wrestle Mania Challenge

Attachment

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375444 - 04/07/18 12:25 AM Attachment: IMG_0332.JPG 5237 KB (0 downloads)

and Pro 200

Attachment

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375445 - 04/07/18 12:27 AM Attachment: IMG_0362.JPG 5155 KB (0 downloads)

and bass fishing

Attachment

Edited by wizwar (04/07/18 12:27 AM)

wizwar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375446 - 04/07/18 12:28 AM Attachment: IMG_0354.JPG 5111 KB (0 downloads)

and tiger sports real baseball

Attachment

hydef
Send PM

#375447 - 04/07/18 12:37 AM

Appreciate the uploads wizwar but they need to be completely straight and with good lighting.

Dullaron
Send PM

#375450 - 04/07/18 03:32 AM

> and Pro 200

I had one of those once.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375460 - 04/07/18 01:21 PM Attachment: 102___01.zip 3889 KB (7 downloads)

DKII photos. First one has top panel in a flat surface, second has lower panel.
Not very good quality I'm afraid. Today is a very cloudy day, like next week. If someone can provide better photos will be great. If not, I'll try in a few days.

By the way, Bass Fishin' seems a curious game.

mwtarub
MAME Fan
Send PM

#375486 - 04/08/18 12:18 PM Attachment: Donkey Kong II by Luca Antignano.zip 8182 KB (11 downloads)

Good news!

I contacted Luca Antignano, creator of simulators of electronic games and he has kindly share quality photos of Donkey Kong II (see attached file). He wants to appear in the credits of the bezel.

Also, check out his great page: http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/index.php

hydef
Send PM

#375487 - 04/08/18 12:25 PM

Thanks. I had this same file but in lower res (got it from the Bannister forums).

I was working on a vector last night but I'll knock this up as well.

hydef
Send PM

#375492 - 04/08/18 01:52 PM Attachment: gnw_dkong2.zip 15986 KB (14 downloads)

Yeah, so I started working on this and didn't like it. I've totally gone off the idea of using scans, they just look a bit dull. So I'm going to continue to work on my vector. But you can have this, it's playable and the screens look ok at least though the filesize is silly for what it is.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

#379408 - 11/07/18 02:19 PM Attachment: exospace.zip 940 KB (45 downloads)

I didn't see any artwork for Explorers of Space so I threw something together quickly. The file is attached.

Edited by DarthMarino (11/07/18 02:54 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: DarthMarino]
#379715 - 11/26/18 06:01 PM

I've posted some G&W photos I did over the Bannister forums but they were not very good and it seems that one guy there will start making 3d models of these Game & Watch handhelds. But I won't hold my breath for those though.

Hydef: Very good pictures, congratulations!! Those models you did are absolutely perfect! To me this is the way to go!

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork *DELETED* new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#380087 - 12/17/18 04:18 AM

Post deleted by hydef

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#380132 - 12/18/18 02:38 PM

Hydef,

Great work on the Tropical Fish! I hope Mr. Do will add your artwork to the official.

Can you please post the link to Climber?

Thanks,

A-Noid

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: anoid]
#380140 - 12/18/18 05:02 PM

Thanks A-Noid

The link for Climber is the same one as above ^ but I haven't added the Crystal Screen version yet because I don't have the background. But guess I could upload later without.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#380354 - 12/26/18 07:29 PM

IDK if you guys saw it but someone have just scanned a bunch of Game & Watch handhelds with a flatbed scanner, and the result is quite good, it might be useful for some new artworks:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v896t0cd28zws..._nav_tracking=1

And here's a link to the entire library:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v896t0cd28zwssg/AADGlKgrCCcg7CtTyCRv98Oma?dl=0

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#380477 - 01/01/19 06:10 AM

Happy new year!

I've reworked nearly all of my previous files added a few more games. All of the Nintendo G&W games in MAME there now apart from Mickey & Donald which I haven't got round to doing at all.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IbSRYTfKoKDgZfJZTZdnKFSpBvCvgJZV

Here's some new previews:

http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/Boxing.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/DonkeyKong.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/DonkeyKongII.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/GreenHouse.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/OilPanic.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/Squish.png

Just a question for the devs, hopefully this will make sense. I had a problem with Oil Panic. I need the screen LCD vector to have more white space at the top because although I think I've placed it round about correctly on top of the background, it's cropping part of the background image off where there is no white. Is there a way around this? (See the top edge of the bottom screen)

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#380483 - 01/01/19 03:43 PM

If the screen isn't alpha blended and one of the edges is white, you can work around it by adding another screen under it like this: https://pastebin.com/UDdCthXa

Happy new year to you too and thanks for the fine G&W artwork!

fuzzi23
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/01/19
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: hap]
#380484 - 01/01/19 04:19 PM

Hi hydef,
I am a huge fan of these old LCD games and your work is amazing. Such a high quality. Thank you so much!

I am also a huge fan of VFD games like the Tomy (Caveman, Tron etc.) and Coleco (Galaxian, Pac-Man etc.) games. Maybe you can create a vectorized template for those games. It would be a good starting point, because all those games have the same shape.

Happy new year.

hal3000
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/17/18
Send PM

#380487 - 01/01/19 09:27 PM

Happy new year to you too and great work with the artwork!

Please try out the advise from hap and if this for some reason doesn't work out perhaps the source svg image needs to padded with more space above the top segments. If so, let me know and we can hopefully work something out

Btw, G&W Black Jack has now been dumped as well and I scanned some case parts along with the overlay scans. Let me know if you find them useful or if you need something to make the work with the artwork easier.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: hal3000]
#380492 - 01/02/19 05:36 AM

Thanks hap, that worked and there doesn't seem to be any problems in using it. Updated.

fuzzi23 - I don't have plans to do any games apart from the Nintendo ones yet but who knows.

hal3000 - Your scans have definitely been useful. Not sure about my colours but here's a preview of Black Jack (or Blackjack?) http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/BlackJack.png

hydef
Send PM

#380495 - 01/02/19 11:47 AM

I also almost finished Mickey & Donald but I ran into the problem of space around the screen again, only the 2nd time this has happened, but it's worse than Oil Panic, it needs 3 sides filling on both screens. Is there another way I can do this? Maybe having one large white screen behind each one? I tried playing with the colour values to get white but I don't know what I'm doing, really.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#380498 - 01/02/19 01:32 PM

Thanks a lot for these Nintendo G&W artworks Hydef, they look like brand new units! Incredible!!

Happy new year to everybody!!

hap
Send PM

#380507 - 01/02/19 04:58 PM

Copy little strips from the edges of the background inlay picture, and put them on the inner edges of the bezel?

hal3000
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380510 - 01/02/19 11:12 PM

Great work there with Black Jack! The colors are really vibrant but not too much in my opinion. I really like it!

hydef
Send PM

#380518 - 01/03/19 03:44 AM

I just kept fiddling with the behind screens until it had white space on the sides. It's not the greatest, but here's Mickey & Donald http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/MickeyDonald.png

If anyone's able to take a quality photo of Mickey & Donald's faces (with the Walt Disney text beneath), I could improve it. For this I've had to find a shot of the faces from ebay, distort it, try and clean it and use a similar Disney font..

Edit: Here's a preview of Manhole http://u.cubeupload.com/LeeRobson/Manhole.png

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#380526 - 01/03/19 05:32 AM

To Hydef: I am not the target of your posts, so don't feel you need to change anything on account of me. That said-

Does anyone else using a malware program with web filtering have u.cubeupload blocked? Personally I use Heimdal, but there are posts about Malwarebytes blocking the domain as well. Reading into it a little, it seems some scumbags were posting .exe malware files with image extensions there in the past, but whether or not that's been addressed by the host I don't know.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#380528 - 01/03/19 07:00 AM

> Happy new year!
>
> I've reworked nearly all of my previous files added a few more games. All of the
> Nintendo G&W games in MAME there now apart from Mickey & Donald which I haven't got
> round to doing at all.
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IbSRYTfKoKDgZfJZTZdnKFSpBvCvgJZV
>

Simply Amazing!!

* Now to go back and merge all of this into the next update. *

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: Qun Mang]
#380530 - 01/03/19 08:34 AM

Ah, I had no idea about this security flaw with cubeupload. No worries, I'll find something else to use from now on.

Thanks for adding these, Mr. Do

hap
Send PM

#380534 - 01/03/19 03:22 PM

FYI In case of gnw_bjack (and future additions), assuming you're on Windows, MAME nightly builds are here: http://ashura.mameworld.info/nightlybuilds/builds.html

I'll PM you on where to get the other needed files.

hal3000
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380536 - 01/03/19 08:44 PM

Nice work there with both Mickey & Donald and Manhole! I just finished dumping Manhole today so the timing is great

I'll disassemble and scan my Mickey & Donald case tonight and will let you know when it's uploaded.

* edit *
I've uploaded a scan of the bottom case for Mickey & Donald to the dropbox directory, hope it's useful and let me know if you need anything else

Edited by hal3000 (01/04/19 01:33 AM)

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: hal3000]
#380548 - 01/04/19 04:30 AM

hap and hal, you've both been very helpful. I updated M&D with rips from the case.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#380559 - 01/04/19 07:23 PM

> hap and hal, you've both been very helpful. I updated M&D with rips from the case.

Quick question - could I get two representative screenshots each of Manhole and Blackjack, with artwork enabled? As the person who's been doing most of the publicity side of the G&W preservation effort, I'd like to be able to write up a tweet about both games now being preserved, the sooner the better.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380568 - 01/05/19 09:20 PM

Sorry about the delay, I wanted to go over everything I did again. Little mistakes here and there.

There's 2 screenshots of Black Jack and Manhole in the signature and I reuploaded all of the games again, apologies but be sure to download these zips again Mr. Do

Edit: Added a Life Boat preview and Zelda preview

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#380573 - 01/06/19 08:21 AM Attachment: gnw_dkong2_inst.png 410 KB (8 downloads)

> Sorry about the delay, I wanted to go over everything I did again. Little mistakes
> here and there.
>
> There's 2 screenshots of Black Jack and Manhole in the signature and I reuploaded all
> of the games again, apologies but be sure to download these zips again Mr. Do
>
> Edit: Added a Life Boat preview and Zelda preview

You are on a roll. And that is too funny... I had just downloaded the most recent files earlier this morning, then you go and replace them all again. No worries... I'm all up to date again.

And thank you to MG for scanning everything he acquired... in the games where we have them, you'll be able to lookup the instructions during play.

Attachment

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#380627 - 01/09/19 04:23 PM

Hydef,

What awesome work! I see that even more artworks have been added over the past couple of days.

I do see a few issues with the artwork that I wanted to point out. No biggies, just wanted to see if they could be fixed with the layouts:

For example Squish:
When you switch to Screen 0/1 Pixel, Dual Over Under / Gapless, Screen 0/1 standard, the overlays are not being shown. Can you add the overlays to these configurations? Then you can turn off the overlays using the separate toggles in MAME.

When you turn off the bezel, you can still see a white outline of the bezel on the screen.

For SMB:
I really like the animated button presses, but they only work on the new wide screen artwork.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

A-Noid

hydef
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: anoid]
#380628 - 01/09/19 05:44 PM

Hello and cheers!

I have no idea why that happens with Squish and I never usually play with those options you mentioned. All games should work the same way and I haven't defined anything that would disable overlays when you switch views. Guess it's a MAME issue itself?

The white outline is a screen fix which fills a black gap when you have the bezels enabled. If you go back a few posts you'll see I started using it a couple of times after working on Oil Panic and encountering a problem. It can be removed if you go in the layout file and removing the screen fix lines but you'll get the black gaps.

The animated buttons aren't in the dual screen games, or those red switches in the likes of Squish. I don't know how to draw the d-pad or switches in other positions so didn't bother with any of those games at all, but I may do Black Jack and the yellow SMB sometime.

JamesMcKofEclipse
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/10/19
Send PM

#381447 - 03/10/19 12:42 AM Attachment: Egg Backdrop Artwork.png 95 KB (8 downloads)

Why not use the game backdrop artwork from Nu Pogodi? Here's an attachment for it since it's the same for Egg and Mickey Mouse

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch artwork new [Re: JamesMcKofEclipse]
#381448 - 03/10/19 01:36 AM

> Why not use the game backdrop artwork from Nu Pogodi? Here's an attachment for it
> since it's the same for Egg and Mickey Mouse

Actually tried that already... the backdrop artwork on Nu Pogodi is slightly different from the Nintendo versions... things don't line up completely correct.

No worries, though... there is a Mickey Mouse in the pipeline that has artwork to be scanned... just need to wait until it's worked on.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7504