Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Stuff that should be in MAME
#379756 - 11/29/18 11:18 PM

it's been noted to me that HBMAME still contains a few things that should actually be in MAME these days under current policy.

Stuff like the Tempest Multigame, and some of the Galaxian multigame kits were sold / used on PCBs, and as such really belong in the base project.

As HBMAME is your project, any chance you could move them to the correct place?

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Stuff that should be in MAME new [Re: Haze]
#379757 - 11/29/18 11:59 PM

Haze
Send PM

Re: Stuff that should be in MAME new [Re: Robbbert]
#379758 - 11/30/18 12:20 AM

> > it's been noted to me that HBMAME still contains a few things that should actually
> be
> > in MAME these days under current policy.
> >
> > Stuff like the Tempest Multigame, and some of the Galaxian multigame kits were sold
> /
> > used on PCBs, and as such really belong in the base project.
> >
> > As HBMAME is your project, any chance you could move them to the correct place?
>
> I'll confer with cuavas first. Tempest Multigame broke with the memory changes for no
> obvious reason, and still needs fixing.
>
> Can you point out exactly which Galaxian Multigames you're referring to?

These were hardware kits at least. I submitted fourplay back in the day to MAME, but it was excluded under old policy on the basis that it was made by somebody on MAMEdev. These days, I doubt that's a problem since it has found its way onto arcade PCBs, and was sold as a kit, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be included.

/* Multigames */
HACK( 2002, fourplay, 0, fourplay, galaxian, galaxian_state, fourplay, ROT90, "Macro", "Four Play", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
HACK( 2001, videight, 0, videight, warofbug, galaxian_state, videight, ROT90, "Macro", "Video Eight", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

re: tempest, yeah, I noticed you demoted it, another reason it should probably be in mainline, would have been more likely to get caught in a regression test.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#379765 - 11/30/18 05:16 AM

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#379779 - 11/30/18 01:59 PM

Four Play and Video Eight have been added to MAME.

I've decided not to add Tempest Multigame, because the roms are not the correct ones. When I received it, I only got the menu rom. I therefore had to use roms from other sets to mash together something that works. It's highly unlikely the roms are totally correct.

Unless you still want me to go ahead regardless...

Haze
Send PM

#379780 - 11/30/18 02:42 PM

> Four Play and Video Eight have been added to MAME.
>
> I've decided not to add Tempest Multigame, because the roms are not the correct ones.
> When I received it, I only got the menu rom. I therefore had to use roms from other
> sets to mash together something that works. It's highly unlikely the roms are totally
> correct.
>
> Unless you still want me to go ahead regardless...

no, that's ok, it seems whoever dumped it before tried to get it put into MAME by splitting up the sets rather than actually submitting / emulating the multigame, and failed to share the proper dump.

as a result, it's going to have to be dumped again, properly, so that the actual multigame can be emulated rather than fake sets extracted from it.

it's possible it will match what you mashed together, but equally possible it won't.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#380193 - 12/21/18 06:47 AM

There's no way it was dumped and split up. The kit uses 2 chips, one is the menu that any dumper can dump with any programmer. The other is a surface mounted plcc chip with the games that fewer than 1% of dumpers could remove, dump and replace on the board. The better question is where did the Vortex dumps come from, if a legit board then they need to be in mame but why would no pics have surfaced of the boards if they were real. Some hacker making/faking sets to play like they think a proto of tempest would play like? Weird world.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Stuff that should be in MAME new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380198 - 12/21/18 01:31 PM

> There's no way it was dumped and split up. The kit uses 2 chips, one is the menu that
> any dumper can dump with any programmer. The other is a surface mounted plcc chip
> with the games that fewer than 1% of dumpers could remove, dump and replace on the
> board. The better question is where did the Vortex dumps come from, if a legit board
> then they need to be in mame but why would no pics have surfaced of the boards if
> they were real. Some hacker making/faking sets to play like they think a proto of
> tempest would play like? Weird world.

More people can dump the things than you realise, most people just don't want to because it's delicate work. This whole 'only 1% of dumpers' thing is starting to sound like Guru.

Vector breakout is in there (and in terms of the memory map, it sits between aliens and vortex) and other stuff has clear modifications that don't make sense except for if they came from the multigame at some point.

It was normal back in the day for people to dump multigames then split them up to work with existing emulators.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#380570 - 01/06/19 06:17 AM

1% is probably too generous. I could probably count the people on the DU who can do it with the fingers on 1 hand and that's over 100 members and not generally of average skills. Most people who buy a programmer don't ever buy adapters or have the balls to remove surface mount chips from boards that cost hundreds of dollars. The whole "protection" on that pcb was the plcc surface mounted. You have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it can be to get those back correctly on certain pcbs with tiny traces that you can't reach with your iron. It can be completely impossible to the point to where you have to use a solder paste and put the pcb into a toaster oven.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1222