MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 |

hydef
Reged: 04/10/16
Send PM

Game & Watch Updates new
#382366 - 05/07/19 11:35 PM

I probably should've started a fresh topic for this ages ago but better late than never.

I've continually tried to refine pretty much all the available games, even down to fixing numbers where there were stray alignments in the lay file. A while back all of the dual vertical screens were updated to a new model and I didn't announce it. The backdrops are all standardized (whether you like to use those or not is up to you) and options to just just view the handheld only are now as a separate view instead of having to disable certain elements. I thought that would be easier for users.

Today the Climber Crystal Screen game was added to MAME and there's artwork for that because I've had a WIP ready for a while. It's been added as clone but it's maybe an identical game to the "New Wide Screen" version if you watch any gameplay or compare the graphics (though this one has the wider screen) but I like it more now that I've played it more. It's a nice game.

If you notice anything majorly wrong with any of these bezels, please let me know. Cheers.

MAME Artwork / Artwork Previews

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Thank you. :) new [Re: hydef]
#382389 - 05/08/19 03:33 AM

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: hydef]
#382390 - 05/08/19 07:19 AM

Great work !

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates [Re: RaspBear]
#382591 - 05/29/19 03:50 PM

Added Chef and Elektronika clone Merry Cook as well as updating the other Elektronika games.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#382624 - 05/30/19 05:42 PM

Very cool!! Chef is one of the games that I want to play the most since I saw the ad for it for the first time at the back of some G&W boxes back in the day.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#382807 - 06/20/19 02:15 AM

Added Donkey Kong Jr tabletop artwork inside the panorama artwork. I know it's not accurate to the real thing, I made the screen larger and it's flat because I can't angle it. It's just for fun.

And added Game & Watch: Ball.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#382816 - 06/20/19 11:49 PM

> Added Donkey Kong Jr tabletop artwork inside the panorama artwork. I know it's not
> accurate to the real thing, I made the screen larger and it's flat because I can't
> angle it. It's just for fun.
>
> And added Game & Watch: Ball.

Do you mean you can not angle your artwork? Or do you mean the game screen?

To angle/tilt the MAME screen, you can use the bgfx+crt-geom shader. just change these lines in your mame.ini:

Code:

#
# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video bgfx

and

Code:

#
# BGFX POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bgfx_path bgfx
bgfx_backend auto
bgfx_debug 0
bgfx_screen_chains crt-geom-deluxe

If you are in game now, you go to the sliders menu in the UI and select the "Tilt" function. Now you can angle the screen with the slider. Have fun . Of course you would need to turn of scanlines and shadowmask, as LCD dont have that.

Nice works by the way. All of them.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: uman]
#382828 - 06/21/19 05:13 AM Attachment: Screenshot (718).png 2072 KB (3 downloads)

> > Added Donkey Kong Jr tabletop artwork inside the panorama artwork. I know it's not
> > accurate to the real thing, I made the screen larger and it's flat because I can't
> > angle it. It's just for fun.
> >
> > And added Game & Watch: Ball.
>
> Do you mean you can not angle your artwork? Or do you mean the game screen?
>
> To angle/tilt the MAME screen, you can use the bgfx+crt-geom shader. just change
> these lines in your mame.ini:
>
> #
> # OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
> #
> video bgfx
>
> and
>
> #
> # BGFX POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
> #
> bgfx_path bgfx
> bgfx_backend auto
> bgfx_debug 0
> bgfx_screen_chains crt-geom-deluxe
>
> If you are in game now, you go to the sliders menu in the UI and select the "Tilt"
> function. Now you can angle the screen with the slider. Have fun . Of course you
> would need to turn of scanlines and shadowmask, as LCD dont have that.
>
> Nice works by the way. All of them.

Problem is we can't get the back drop to tilt. Only tilt what loaded as ROM not artwork. Back drop never moves with it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

hydef
Send PM

#382832 - 06/21/19 11:41 AM

Thanks, uman!

I tilted my background and enabled bgfx. Fiddled a few times to get it positioned about the same. Also made a custom chain so that I wouldn't have to set the angle or anything every time. Now I've got this but can't figure out how to remove the moire. Any ideas?

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#382833 - 06/21/19 12:59 PM

> Problem is we can't get the back drop to tilt. Only tilt what loaded as ROM not
> artwork. Back drop never moves with it.

No, that is not possible to do with a artwork/layout file. This would you do with your paint-program i.e. Photoshop.
IMHO tiltet artwork is not needed, because in real life you would look at the game at the same angle we already have here.

> Thanks, uman!
>
> I tilted my background and enabled bgfx. Fiddled a few times to get it positioned
> about the same. Also made a custom chain so that I wouldn't have to set the angle or
> anything every time. Now I've got this but can't figure out how to remove the moire.
> Any ideas?

I am sorry, i thought there was a slider for scanlines too. Did you turn off "Shadow mask strength" to 0?
And set "Radius of curvature" to 10.
This should help a little.
Unfortunately to turn of the scanlines, we would need to change the source-files of the crt-geom shaders, which are in:
MAME 0.210\bgfx\shaders
The problem is, in a binary MAME (already compiled MAME), those shaders, are compiled too and we can not modify them anymore (.bin files). I will try to create you modified crt-geom shaders, without shadowmask, scanlines and curvature, because like i said, LCD does not have them in real world, at least not these games.

The goal should be: To have a shader that perfectly fits for those games, so we can create a preset that works everytime.

Edited by uman (06/21/19 01:30 PM)

hydef
Send PM

#382834 - 06/21/19 01:13 PM

Wicked, thanks. It's beyond me.

Yep, I have shadowmask on 0. All we need is a shader that tilts, right?

The only other problem I can see is that having or setting this game to use bgfx is now enabled on all the artwork choices within, so will it be possible to define that some don't use it and remain flat like if you want to view the background by itself?

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#382836 - 06/21/19 01:40 PM

> All we need is a shader that tilts, right?

Yes. Unfortunately, only crt-geom has one .
And it only works, if curvature is enabled.

I do not know, if i fully understand you here.
With MAME you can create game.ini files, that only apply to a specific game. But if you mean, that if we have different artwork for the same game and want to use different shaders for each artwork of that game, i would say that this will not work. I could be wrong here though.

PS: i updated my last post.

Edited by uman (06/21/19 01:47 PM)

hydef
Send PM

#382837 - 06/21/19 01:46 PM

That's exactly what I mean Sorry, it was difficult to explain. No worries. I guess people will just have to edit their ini anyway and will have to choose which one they want, flat background or tilted with bezel.

And yep, curvature is on 10 in that picture.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#382838 - 06/21/19 02:00 PM

You are right. This could be a nice feature request for layout-files. I must admit, that i love the tilt function. It adds so much more realism to certain artwork, i.e. Donkey Kong.

Wherever it makes sense, i add tilt to my .ini files.

hydef
Send PM

#382940 - 06/29/19 07:04 PM

Added Gold Cliff.

And I found an image of a DK Jr tabletop which has the background and front of the unit almost flat together. If you know what I mean. So it might not need tilting at all. But I haven't done much work to change it yet.

hydef
Send PM

#383081 - 07/17/19 10:50 PM

Added Safebuster or is it Safe Buster.. Dunno.

hydef
Send PM

#383104 - 07/21/19 07:48 PM

Added BombSweeper or is it Bomb Sweeper .. )

delta7890
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/13/19
Send PM

#383281 - 08/13/19 04:23 AM

Wonderful! Question here though: Are there any plans to add "Backgrounds Only" video options as seen in Bomb Sweeper for the other dual-screen Game & Watch titles?

I personally find the gap between screens when playing in Backdrop or Unit mode to make some games quite challenging to play on a computer monitor.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: delta7890]
#383301 - 08/14/19 04:48 AM

>Wonderful! Question here though: Are there any plans to add "Backgrounds Only" video options as seen in Bomb Sweeper for the other dual-screen Game & Watch titles?

Thank you.

Yes, I started some work on doing the other games like this and then completely left it for a while. Just have no mood to do it right now, but I will.

delta7890
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383307 - 08/14/19 07:52 PM

> > Wonderful! Question here though: Are there any plans to add "Backgrounds Only" video
> options as seen in Bomb Sweeper for the other dual-screen Game & Watch titles?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yes, I started some work on doing the other games like this and then completely left
> it for a while. Just have no mood to do it right now, but I will.

Totally understandable. I'm sure it's tedious work. Your efforts are most certainly appreciated though! Looking forward to further updates in the future.

hydef
Send PM

#383443 - 08/27/19 03:03 AM

Haven't done much lately but added Mario's Bombs Away (backgrounds only) and Elektronika - Space Bridge (a clone of Fire)

hydef
Send PM

#383470 - 08/29/19 05:17 PM

I updated all of the G&W games with the new tags and added a Backgrounds Only view for every game, it makes some of the multi screen games a little easier with the screens side by side.

NeoKarnage
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/13/16
Send PM

#383479 - 08/30/19 02:45 AM

Awesome job on all the updated background views. I look forward to every new Game & Watch release accompanied by your artwork. Big thanks to all involved in preserving these simple but fun gaming gems.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: NeoKarnage]
#383482 - 08/30/19 04:46 AM

Appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything not working properly. I already updated a few things because I always make mistakes. And totally forgot to do Ball. But it's updated now.

delta7890
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383490 - 08/31/19 04:59 AM

Thank you so much for your hard and excellent work!

hydef
Send PM

#383495 - 08/31/19 07:16 PM

Glad you like them.

I've uploaded Vermin.

hydef
Send PM

#383513 - 09/02/19 08:32 AM

Uploaded Helmet and updated the silver series of games a little, just tweaked how the backgrounds work.

hydef
Send PM

#383571 - 09/06/19 04:02 AM

Uploaded Flagman. Changed Ball, Vermin, Helmet, added screens for Mickey Mouse and Egg (finally) and got round to adding animated buttons on Life Boat and the button on Rainshower.. But the d-pad I can't do unless I had one of these games to work with.

I hope you can find the time to update/mirror everything eventually, Mr. Do. I know it might be a pain but I wouldn't like people to have the old stuff. Best just to grab the whole lot.

ArcadeShadow
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/06
Send PM

#383592 - 09/08/19 12:12 PM

Missing the "Gradient.png" file in the Space Bridge artwork set.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: ArcadeShadow]
#383593 - 09/08/19 01:23 PM

Thanks for noticing. Somehow I wasn't getting the diagonal lines to show anything was missing but it was. If anyone's wondering, the gradients are a really rubbish hack I've added in there to tweak the appearance a little but they're usually turned down so much that they make little difference.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

#383594 - 09/08/19 06:10 PM

I always envisioned what the early G&W games would look like with color backdrops. I got bored so made some quick ones. I may upload them at some point if anyone is interested.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: DarthMarino]
#383597 - 09/08/19 09:34 PM

Hey, that's creative and the modular design means you can just slot artwork in.

hydef
Send PM

#383598 - 09/09/19 12:32 AM

Added the Silver version of Fire

Imhotep
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/11/05
Send PM

#383623 - 09/12/19 11:40 AM

Probably my own mistake?

1. I can't find your preview for Mario's Bombs Away
2. While all the other artworks work fine, I cannot see them in Mario's Bombs Away and Donkey Kong Jr. (gnw_dkjrp). No artwork is displayed for these two games.
Any idees what I'm doing wrong?

Your work is outstanding and adds so much to these games, thanks a lot!!
Sven

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: Imhotep]
#383624 - 09/12/19 04:56 PM

> Probably my own mistake?
>
> 1. I can't find your preview for Mario's Bombs Away
> 2. While all the other artworks work fine, I cannot see them in Mario's Bombs Away
> and Donkey Kong Jr. (gnw_dkjrp). No artwork is displayed for these two games.
> Any idees what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Your work is outstanding and adds so much to these games, thanks a lot!!
> Sven

Hi, Sven. You're not doing anything wrong, I removed the tabletop artwork and there's only background art for both games in my files. It sucked.

Thanks a lot.

-Lee

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#383627 - 09/13/19 07:47 AM

> I always envisioned what the early G&W games would look like with color backdrops. I
> got bored so made some quick ones. I may upload them at some point if anyone is
> interested.

These are great!!!

Please make them available, so that they can be added as alternate views in the next artwork update.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#383628 - 09/13/19 07:48 AM

> Uploaded Flagman. Changed Ball, Vermin, Helmet, added screens for Mickey Mouse and
> Egg (finally) and got round to adding animated buttons on Life Boat and the button on
> Rainshower.. But the d-pad I can't do unless I had one of these games to work with.
>
> I hope you can find the time to update/mirror everything eventually, Mr. Do. I know
> it might be a pain but I wouldn't like people to have the old stuff. Best just to
> grab the whole lot.

Will be adding everything in next update, some time this month (assuming things don't go off-track).

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: Mr. Do]
#383629 - 09/13/19 01:04 PM

> > I always envisioned what the early G&W games would look like with color backdrops.
> I
> > got bored so made some quick ones. I may upload them at some point if anyone is
> > interested.
>
>
> These are great!!!
>
> Please make them available, so that they can be added as alternate views in the next
> artwork update.

Will do. I should be able to finalize everything this weekend with the exception of Judge. The background is done but we'll have to wait until that's emulated.

I did one for the silver version of Fire as well (just took the widescreen Fire art and reworked the silver version of the building):

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383632 - 09/14/19 04:24 AM

> > I always envisioned what the early G&W games would look like with color backdrops.
> I
> > got bored so made some quick ones. I may upload them at some point if anyone is
> > interested.
>
>
> These are great!!!
>
> Please make them available, so that they can be added as alternate views in the next
> artwork update.

Here is the link for the first 4 (Ball, Fire (silver), Flagman and Vermin). I'll upload Judge once it's emulated and again once the purple version is emulated.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ja1ggx

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates *DELETED* new [Re: DarthMarino]
#383637 - 09/15/19 12:34 AM

Post deleted by DarthMarino

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates *DELETED* new [Re: DarthMarino]
#383643 - 09/15/19 06:01 AM

Post deleted by DarthMarino

hydef
Send PM

#383654 - 09/15/19 11:17 PM

These redrawn and re-imagined backgrounds are really authentic and good quality, thanks for taking the time to draw them. Well done. I also enjoyed your YouTube videos using different peripherals for MAME. The right ones probably make a lot of difference.

Updates: I've added Judge and remade all of the Wide Screen series and slightly changed the silver/gold series. I wanted to make a new base almost from scratch on the Wide Screen games and it took ages to set everything up. You won't notice a whole load of difference.. but to me it's better.

There could be some errors, so any corrections, please let me know.

Edit: I updated the multi screen games with some new gradients and some have animated buttons that I couldn't be bothered to do before like Oil Panic and Safe Buster

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383662 - 09/17/19 12:13 AM

Thanks. I may redraw a few more but those were the only two that look like the source elements were in rough shape. I'm working on my color version of Judge now.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383663 - 09/17/19 01:09 AM

Here is my color background version of Judge (green). The purple version is the only one left that I will do which will look the same aside from the case.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/q8pjg0

Preview:

hydef
Send PM

#383681 - 09/19/19 06:11 PM

Very cool. Should I add these into mine? Dunno how to organize them.

Today's update is LCD shadows. Something the artwork has been lacking forever until I thought why not just double the LCD layer and fade it(?) and it works. It's not perfect, there's no blur and maybe it's a little too much, but let me know what you think. It's applied to all G&W and Konami games and previews.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383682 - 09/19/19 06:34 PM

> Very cool. Should I add these into mine? Dunno how to organize them.
>
> Today's update is LCD shadows. Something the artwork has been lacking forever until I
> thought why not just double the LCD layer and fade it(?) and it works. It's not
> perfect, there's no blur and maybe it's a little too much, but let me know what you
> think. It's applied to all G&W and Konami games and previews.

Feel free to add them to yours. The way I organized them on the downloads I posted were to have the last option in each view to just say (color) such as "Unit Only (Color)". I added them with the latest versions on Friday (9/13). I believe you've made updates since. Did anything change with the layout files or just the images?

hydef
Send PM

#383683 - 09/19/19 06:52 PM

Apologies, yep, I forgot you added some zip files up there. That's good. I'll check it out later and re-upload.

delta7890
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383686 - 09/21/19 02:13 AM

I'm not sure how possible this is, but I recall finding out recently that Fire ended up shipping with a layout opposite of what was originally intended (the building was to be on the right side of the screen instead of left).

It would be cool to have a mirrored version of Fire available, to play the game as it was intended to be released.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383687 - 09/21/19 03:28 AM

> I'm not sure how possible this is, but I recall finding out recently that Fire ended
> up shipping with a layout opposite of what was originally intended (the building was
> to be on the right side of the screen instead of left).
>
> It would be cool to have a mirrored version of Fire available, to play the game as it
> was intended to be released.

I just did a quick test and it worked. The LCD segments need to be reversed in the SVG file with the exception of things like the time and game a/b. It wouldn't work on regular MAME since the SVG size is wrong but MAMEUI gives you the size error but allows you to continue. Of course you have to map left to right and vice versa.

I did the test with the widescreen version of Fire though it should really be on the earlier silver version which isn't in the latest MAMEUI.

hydef
Send PM

#383690 - 09/21/19 09:10 AM Attachment: default.lay 2 KB (1 downloads)

You can use code to flip X and see how it would look, see the background only view on the attached file. And would take more than recompiling to look properly mirrored because I think the segments would need to be coded again for the clock.

About the mirrored Fire, this wiki entry kinda contradicts itself - "The port shown in Game & Watch Gallery 3 is reversed, which, according to the game, is due to an apparent mistake on the original Game & Watch systems. However, none of these reversed copies have yet been found by collectors."

I've added all of your backgrounds at last, DM you'll be pleased to hear. I've changed the code since then but it should be should be mostly like you expect, except for Fire as I have the building built-in to the unit artwork now and it obscures your building. I can make a basic black border if you want the building removed. I actually did it this way earlier and then wasn't sure which one you might want. And I removed the black on some of your backgrounds, hope you don't mind. It was overlapping with some of my parts and I wanted to keep a consistent look.

If the viewing options weren't a clusterfuck before, they are now.

I've been working all night updating the Elektronika games again. They have shadows now and other changes and updated code, along with the Gakken games..

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#383691 - 09/21/19 12:38 PM

Got any proof? I say it's a false rumour. I've read it too and version I've read said that texts like "GAME A" "AM" "PM" were disabled because they'd show up mirrored otherwise. But that's not right, as a matter of fact, the first couple of G&W simply didn't have these text segments.

Also, the digits are slanted to the right as expected (if it was mirrored, they'd be slanted to the left). Plus, they are lined up as "18:88"

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: hap]
#383692 - 09/21/19 01:19 PM

> Got any proof? I say it's a false rumour. I've read it too and version I've read said
> that texts like "GAME A" "AM" "PM" were disabled because they'd show up mirrored
> otherwise. But that's not right, as a matter of fact, the first couple of G&W simply
> didn't have these text segments.
>
> Also, the digits are slanted to the right as expected (if it was mirrored, they'd be
> slanted to the left). Plus, they are lined up as "18:88"

Definitely, not a rumor. It's even playable in Gallery 3. This is the information they have on it.

This is "Fire" introduced in Game & Watch Gallery 1. Don't you think something is wrong with it? The truth is, this "Fire" is reversed left to right. This version was planned to be released as is. The LCD designer happened to make it incorrectly. Nevertheless, the game was just as playable. It was released as it was. So far, it seems OK.

The graphics they use are based on the earlier silver version however the scoring is done like the widescreen version where you get a point for every bounce (they probably didn't realize the scoring was different when they made the port). The score is not reversed and "miss" is readable.

hap
Send PM

#383694 - 09/21/19 01:37 PM

Then it must have happened very early in the production process, before the ROM was finalized.

It can't be emulated without having the ROM for it (LCD pinout would be different). Probably doesn't even exist, unless Nintendo has an early prototype around.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383695 - 09/21/19 01:48 PM

I interpret it this way. When they came up with the game idea, the building was on the right. When they handed the artwork to the LCD maker, he accidentally made it reversed. Rather than redoing his part, they just left it as is. Maybe the score and "miss" were backwards and they just fixed that to save money/time. Who knows? I have a feeling no actual units were produced with the building on the right.

hap
Send PM

#383696 - 09/21/19 01:56 PM

There are no text segments in the first couple of "silver" G&W at all. No "MISS"(SSIM? :P). I doubt it is a manufacturer error. A mistake by the designer maybe.

There's photos of an old design document from Nintendo here, it shows the ambulance on the right side:
https://www.nintendo.fr/Iwata-demande/Iw...les-223069.html

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383697 - 09/21/19 03:13 PM

> There are no text segments in the first couple of "silver" G&W at all. No
> "MISS"(SSIM? :P). I doubt it is a manufacturer error. A mistake by the designer
> maybe.
>
> There's photos of an old design document from Nintendo here, it shows the ambulance
> on the right side:
> https://www.nintendo.fr/Iwata-demande/Iw...les-223069.html

That image makes me even more confused about what they are trying to say in G&W Gallery 3.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#383698 - 09/21/19 03:19 PM

> > There are no text segments in the first couple of "silver" G&W at all. No
> > "MISS"(SSIM? :P). I doubt it is a manufacturer error. A mistake by the designer
> > maybe.
> >
> > There's photos of an old design document from Nintendo here, it shows the ambulance
> > on the right side:
> >
> https://www.nintendo.fr/Iwata-demande/Iw...les-223069.html
>
> That image makes me even more confused about what they are trying to say in G&W
> Gallery 3.

At best I think it must have been a communication error, because as noted, you can't just mirror the image, the time display would have the wrong digits.

Or it could just be somebody misremembering, I mean, for how long were people, including those that had worked on them, basically saying these things were pure logic, not CPU based?

hap
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: Haze]
#383699 - 09/21/19 03:27 PM

In this case it's Nintendo mentioning it (in G&W Gallery 3), and I assume then it was very early in the game development process.

So let's say, they gave a brief description of what the game should look like and the person making the graphics misunderstood something.

As for us, well.. we can't do anything with this anecdote. It can't be emulated, maybe make a modified SVG for HBMAME but what's the point?

hydef
Send PM

#383701 - 09/21/19 06:22 PM

Added Balloon Fight Crystal Screen and renamed the climbers and bfight games following a name change

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383708 - 09/21/19 10:31 PM Attachment: GnW-Color-Layzip.zip 6 KB (2 downloads)

Thanks again for adding my backgrounds, hydef. As we discussed I made some adjustments to the coordinates on the color versions. I ended up touching up all four. Attached are the lay files for Ball, Flagman, Judge and Vermin. Everything is the same in the non-color versions so just drop them in and we should be good. I'll take a look at Fire (silver) after you update it.

hydef
Send PM

#383709 - 09/21/19 11:53 PM

Forgot to say I updated Fire earlier today, but I'll just drop these in if you only made changes to your views, great.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383710 - 09/21/19 11:57 PM

The crystal screen Balloon Fight had a little backdrop you could put behind the screen.

hydef
Send PM

#383711 - 09/22/19 12:31 AM

Ah, I discussed this with Henrik and then forgot about it. I think it's just in the packaging and doesn't actually slot into the game? Was also going to say don't bother because I already traced it a few months ago

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383712 - 09/22/19 12:55 AM

There are a few pictures showing it behind the screen so that appears to be the intention.

hydef
Send PM

#383713 - 09/22/19 02:22 AM

Sorry, I should have said sooner. I thought you would try making it as soon as I knew this version was being released.

I've updated the file. I don't think the sheet with the mountains are intended to be used, really because there's nowhere to slot it in the game and that means it would have to be placed on a flat surface (like my artwork) and makes it difficult to play.

Edit: I should say that I don't actually have the original scan of this, so if anyone can provide it, that would be cool and I'd replace this copy.

Edit2: DM, I'll tell you what you can try if you fancy. I'm not good at drawing what these Crystal Screen buttons look like pressed, so I can't do them. It's not extremely important or anything. I can really live without it, but it might look nice if done properly and could easily be used on all of those games.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383714 - 09/22/19 03:12 AM

> Sorry, I should have said sooner. I thought you would try making it as soon as I knew
> this version was being released.
>
> I've updated the file. I don't think the sheet with the mountains are intended to be
> used, really because there's nowhere to slot it in the game and that means it would
> have to be placed on a flat surface (like my artwork) and makes it difficult to play.
>
> Edit: I should say that I don't actually have the original scan of this, so if anyone
> can provide it, that would be cool and I'd replace this copy.
>
> Edit2: DM, I'll tell you what you can try if you fancy. I'm not good at drawing what
> these Crystal Screen buttons look like pressed, so I can't do them. It's not
> extremely important or anything. I can really live without it, but it might look nice
> if done properly and could easily be used on all of those games.

I'll take a look at the buttons tomorrow.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383715 - 09/22/19 05:02 AM

Let me know if these are any good:

hydef
Send PM

#383716 - 09/22/19 05:14 AM

Hmm, to be honest I don't know! I tried similar things like shrinking and darkening but I didn't know if they were right if they should be flatter? It's probably hard to find an example for instance in a video because their thumbs will obscure it. Looks neat, though. I'll try it.

hydef
Send PM

#383717 - 09/22/19 06:50 AM

Hope it doesn't bother you, I made my own, it's uploaded, it's pretty much identical to the way I first tried but I like it now, except..

There's this issue I used to run into with animations. I wonder if anyone else sees it. I'm getting it a bit here again. When I first started doing them I found that the animation would have some artifacting around the edges, sometimes a very visible white box if I was using one. Less so with a circle, but it seems it would still appear if there was a straight line, even for 2 pixels.. So yeah, I tried circles and squares and random shapes and it was always there, then I stumbled upon a diamond shape (actually a square turned 45 degrees) and wow, it works, I can use this now and I used the diamond shape on everything. Sometimes it would make a tiny bit of artifacting but I thought I'll just have to put up with it.

But what is it and how do I avoid it? Is it anti aliasing? Is it because I'm using artwork that doesn't fit my monitor resolution? Can you see it on this new artwork?

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383722 - 09/22/19 02:36 PM

Not at all. Whatever works best. I threw that together quickly.

I've done work on Visual Pinball tables and have had the same issue. I would try a variety of settings in Photoshop but then when I imported it into the game, it would define whatever edges it felt like. Probably some of the built-in anti-aliasing. I would have to find workarounds like you did here. If you haven't tried "nearest neighbor" as the image interpolation in Photoshop, give that a try.

I finally found a picture showing how that mountain backdrop worked. All the pictures show it in some kind of plastic sleeve. I just assumed that it was packaged this way. It actually has an opening that allows it to slide over the entire game.

You mentioned that Super Mario had one? I've never actually seen a picture of one for that game or Climber.

hydef
Send PM

#383723 - 09/22/19 08:24 PM

Ahh, mystery solved, good find, it slipped over the unit. Yeah, I thought I saw a background with Super Mario Bros. but then edited it because when I looked properly, it's just the manual and not really like this one.

I'll experiment a little more with the edges thing. The way I do them is with a mask.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#383724 - 09/22/19 09:06 PM

Hi hydef, looks like your current zip for gnw_bsweep is producing errors in the lay file.

line 34 column 102 not well-formed invalid token.

hydef
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: John IV]
#383725 - 09/22/19 09:27 PM

Thanks, John. Not sure what that was but it's fixed.

Also sorta fixed the buttons on both the Crystal games. The artifacts are there if you really look for them but otherwise they're the best I can get for now. They showed up more on Climber for some reason so shrunk the region of the animation and hid the artifacts in the silver circles.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383726 - 09/22/19 10:11 PM Attachment: GnW-Color-Lay.zip 7 KB (1 downloads)

I made some tiny adjustments to the color views only in Fire silver. Same deal as before. Lay file attached.

hydef
Send PM

#383727 - 09/22/19 11:10 PM

Ok, updated

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383728 - 09/23/19 12:15 AM

Thank you.

-Were the other ones updated? They look to be the same as the old lay files. Fire is updated.

-Random note, the screen width on Donkey Kong Jr. looks to be off in the Unit and Background views.

-I had to look hard but I see the issue you mentioned on the Crystal Screen games. Well, Climber at least. I can't get Balloon Fight to work with the new ROM's posted. Oh, well. I did have a thought. What about cutting holes in DR-802? You could have a standard DR-802 as the bottom layer, and the cut version as the top. Then when the button is pressed you can have the "down" button appear in between.

hydef
Send PM

#383730 - 09/23/19 12:27 AM

No, I thought you just said to update Fire It got me a little confused because all of the games are in the zip but it's no trouble, I'll add the rest if that's what you wanted.

With Donkey Kong Jr. Do you mean the black line down the right hand side? This is a problem the layer blending and anti-aliasing, hap once once said. He gave me an alternate method to eliminate it and put the screen behind the background, but somehow I couldn't get it to work fully. Can't exactly remember. I think it might have cropped the background this way, not sure. Maybe I was doing something wrong, so I just kept doing it my way. But it's one of those things that doesn't happen very often and I just thought fuck it, I'll just keep it like this. Konami's TMNT handheld also has this quirk.

That's possibly a nice idea about layering the buttons and it might work... I wouldn't have thought of that. But I'm fine with it now, I think and can't be bothered to work on anything.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383731 - 09/23/19 12:49 AM Attachment: default.lay 9 KB (1 downloads)

Yeah. Sorry for the confusion.

The black line is why I noticed it but then I saw that towards the right it wasn't lining up with the art as well. I just increased the width a little and it fixed it. I think it was there on the first view as well but you couldn't see the line since it was smaller. Attached is the lay file with the width adjustments.

No one will notice the edges on the button so likely not worth the effort. Take a much needed break!

hydef
Send PM

#383732 - 09/23/19 01:55 AM

That's alright. Cheers for the adjustments. I appreciate that. And after seeing your colour adjustments I thought my screens looked off and they were, I must have fudged the numbers. They're a little better now so that was a good excuse to revisit them. I think I'll take a rest for the night. Stressed with life.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383733 - 09/23/19 02:22 AM

Mr. Do,

My alternate color backgrounds for the early games are now incorporated as an option in the versions hosted on Hydef's drive. You can ignore the previous files I posted.

hydef
Send PM

#383737 - 09/24/19 01:52 AM

Updated Mario Bros, the dual screen game with some new background scans from Henrik

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#383738 - 09/24/19 06:43 AM

> I always envisioned what the early G&W games would look like with color backdrops. I
> got bored so made some quick ones. I may upload them at some point if anyone is
> interested.
>

I've been testing some Game & Watch titles today with the latest version of the artwork and was extremely confused when I saw how Ball had another background available for a "(Color)" version.

As I'm used to these just having official artwork, I started looking for info on some alternate edition with color backgrounds and, luckily and since I frequent these boards, was able to find this post with the answers.

Could it perhaps be labeled as "Fan art" or something like that, to avoid any further confusion? Or maybe make a separate "Custom by DarthMarino" bundle and have the official artwork separate, for those who are always looking for authenticity?

PS: I'm not saying they don't look good, they're fine.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: ICEknight]
#383742 - 09/24/19 01:02 PM

>
> I've been testing some Game & Watch titles today with the latest version of the
> artwork and was extremely confused when I saw how Ball had another background
> available for a "(Color)" version.
>
> As I'm used to these just having official artwork, I started looking for info on some
> alternate edition with color backgrounds and, luckily and since I frequent these
> boards, was able to find this post with the answers.
>
> Could it perhaps be labeled as "Fan art" or something like that, to avoid any further
> confusion? Or maybe make a separate "Custom by DarthMarino" bundle and have the
> official artwork separate, for those who are always looking for authenticity?
>
>
> PS: I'm not saying they don't look good, they're fine.

I have no problem with doing that. I was trying to keep the view name as short as possible. I'll change it to whatever everyone thinks it should be.

Edit- I think having it all as one will make it easier. I've seen some MAME art done this way and then people don't have to rename the download for it to work. Maybe just replacing "Color" with "Fan Art" is the best way to go. Simple and explains exactly what it is.

Edited by DarthMarino (09/24/19 01:18 PM)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383746 - 09/25/19 01:07 AM Attachment: GnW-FanArt-Lay.zip 7 KB (2 downloads)

Hydef,

Attached are updated Lay files for the 5 color bg games. I just changed the naming from "Colour" to "Fan Art" to avoid any confusion. No other changes.

hydef
Send PM

#383747 - 09/25/19 02:44 AM

Hi, thanks. I already have them done(!), because as well as this I've made some changes to the layout files generally and got rid of a few of my unnecessary things.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383758 - 09/26/19 04:34 AM

Nice. I'll check them out when I get a chance.

I threw the Punch-Out logo on the Boxing case if you want to include alternate artwork for that version. Looks like it was released a few months later in America and possibly Europe.

https://i.ibb.co/CJbK0tX/BX-301a.png
https://i.ibb.co/K6P93hG/Backdrop-A.png

hydef
Send PM

#383760 - 09/26/19 07:52 AM

Ahh, y'know I had already the logo made (this one from another project where I used to copy logos) but hadn't used it on here yet. I'll make a Punch-Out but as far as other versions go, I'm not going to add any of the different brands or add any foreign language versions (sorry anyone).

Thank you, though. And a heads-up: I have all of the other remaining G&W units already made (inc. Micro vs Series and Crystal) with the exception of the Super Color games (though I'm starting to work on Spitball Sparky), the Panorama series has no work done (couldn't find any great sources and the bigger issue of needing to get the screen right (shader? angles?) and I only have a partial tabletop template but same issue with the Panorama games. So I can't see either of those done any time soon. The flat LCD games just kinda work alright with the screen set to multiply and that's all you need to do for a semi-realistic look.. And that's how I've been able to make most things.

Another thing I did but unreleased was copy most of the 2D handhelds from the boxes.. But was undecided about releasing them because I know someone, somewhere will print and sell them somewhere, so that put me off adding them. I didn't trace the backgrounds, though and have no intention of doing that.

Please give me a shout if you want to pick up on something(?) so I don't totally waste your time or effort and look like a dick :-)

I'm currently reworking all of the G&W screens.

Edit: Updated Boxing with the Punch-Out!! Logo and updated the grey buttons and animated them. Looks nicer but it's maybe one of the worst games.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383763 - 09/26/19 12:46 PM

I don't think the screen really needs to have an angle to it. I don't have one in front of me but it looks like if you hold it just right, it will appear flat.

hydef
Send PM

#383764 - 09/26/19 12:59 PM

Almost flat, yes. I guess one could be tricked into thinking the screen was actually curved if behind a slightly angled bezel (but it would be cropped a bit). Please take a crack at it if you like :-)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383784 - 09/27/19 01:51 AM

We'll probably need some better source pics. I worked with the best I could find for now. Definitely not up to the quality of the other titles.

hydef
Send PM

#383785 - 09/27/19 02:29 AM

That looks quite good like that and I'm surprised how well it works. Well done. I have way more faith it's possible now. I promise I won't try one myself for a while. I'm totally shattered and have some more backgrounds to do.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383786 - 09/27/19 03:45 AM

Thanks. I'll clean it up the best I can and see if there are any better elements available.

hydef
Send PM

#383787 - 09/27/19 04:33 AM

Cool idea.. :-)

There's also some kinda reflection going on, you can see it at least twice, above and below

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383789 - 09/27/19 06:07 AM

Maybe we can set that as the normal version and then do a (No Reflection) version instead of (No Shadow).

hydef
Send PM

#383791 - 09/27/19 09:00 AM

Sure, good idea. Hopefully it won't look too crazy with multiple screens going on.

Ah, so you're building ) This is what I end up doing with things, taking them apart and putting them back together. Cool. Nice to see it coming along though the first one is good already.

Will you cut it all out and have a background view? I don't think everyone (or maybe most people) are a fan on mine, but I thought most games in reality are quite small and wanted to shrink them on the screen and put them on some kinda presentable surface. It's not necessary, I just like it and think it helps to make them look real.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383792 - 09/27/19 12:44 PM

We'll see how it looks. Probably best to make it subtle like the shadows. I plan on trying it with the background only view. The shadow vs. no shadow is almost identical currently so it's at least worth exploring.

Yeah, I figured it would look cleaner this way and make it much easier when making the other games since 90% of it is already done.

My plan was to start with the unit only view since that will be under more visual scrutiny. If that worked out, then I would also do the backdrop view. I always assumed you had this view to have all the machines at roughly the same size. I use this view for my screenshots when picking a game. It's cool to them all at the same scale.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#383796 - 09/27/19 04:00 PM

> Sure, good idea. Hopefully it won't look too crazy with multiple screens going on.
>
> Ah, so you're building ) This is what I end up doing with things, taking them apart
> and putting them back together. Cool. Nice to see it coming along though the first
> one is good already.
>
> Will you cut it all out and have a background view? I don't think everyone (or maybe
> most people) are a fan on mine, but I thought most games in reality are quite small
> and wanted to shrink them on the screen and put them on some kinda presentable
> surface. It's not necessary, I just like it and think it helps to make them look
> real.

I've seen more people asking for the background art than the non-background art.

There are a few posts on private forums asking where the art went for DKJr Panorama for example.

The original displays were small, and even with all the art, on an average size monitor the visible display part is still going to be around the same size as the real units.

What would be interesting is if MAME could take your monitor size as a parameter, and knew the actual size of the original display, and could scale according to that, but that information isn't available to the emulator at present.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Game & Watch Updates new [Re: Haze]
#383809 - 09/28/19 12:42 AM

Once I finish with Mario's Bombs Away, I will do the rest of the panorama games. DKJ is next.

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Send PM

#383811 - 09/28/19 04:54 AM

Here is my progress for tonight. I just have to animate the buttons, create the views and whatever touch-ups I decide to make.

Pages: 1 | 2 |

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10614