MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

GOG closes
#233969 - 09/20/10 05:26 AM

Good Old Games has closed shop, at least for now. Message from their site:

Quote:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

I know Underground Gamer recently started allowing GOG versions of games. While they only have some 35,000 users, the timing of this shutdown seems curious. At least they hint at returning in some new form so all is not (yet) lost.

P.S. Did you remember to talk like a pirate today (9/19)...?

EDIT: All isn't lost- it is looking like it could be a publicity stunt.

Edited by Qun Mang (09/20/10 05:34 AM)

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: Qun Mang]
#233971 - 09/20/10 05:38 AM

Dammit. I was just gonna buy their newest pack.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: igamabob]
#234028 - 09/20/10 09:43 PM

> Dammit. I was just gonna buy their newest pack.

At least their catalogue could have been assimilated into Steam or something...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#234048 - 09/20/10 11:30 PM

> Good Old Games has closed shop, at least for now. Message from their site:
>
> Dear GOG users,
>
> We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com
> the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've
> decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.
>
> We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two
> years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable
> journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.
>
> This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the
> service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.
>
> On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to
> re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and
> Facebook for updates.
>
> All the best,
> GOG.com Team
>
> I know Underground Gamer recently started allowing GOG versions of games. While they
> only have some 35,000 users, the timing of this shutdown seems curious. At least they
> hint at returning in some new form so all is not (yet) lost.
>
>
>
> P.S. Did you remember to talk like a pirate today (9/19)...?
>
> EDIT: All isn't lost- it is looking like it could be a publicity stunt.

Wait until Wednesday.

Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company... someone VERY big.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: Foxhack]
#234051 - 09/20/10 11:35 PM

> Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company... someone
> VERY big.

Big in height? or Width? or both!

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: GatKong]
#234053 - 09/20/10 11:52 PM

> > Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company... someone
> > VERY big.
>
> Big in height? or Width? or both!

Valve?

S

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: Sune]
#234058 - 09/21/10 12:34 AM

> > > Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company... someone
> > > VERY big.
> >
> > Big in height? or Width? or both!
>
> Valve?
>
> S

That's one of the names being thrown around. I personally hope that they have nothing to do with this because, even if I appreciate Valve's Steam system... I buy games at GOG because I want standalone installers I can play without an internet connection. (Most of the games I own on Steam require an internet connection anyway.)

The whole thing is beyond shady.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#234066 - 09/21/10 01:40 AM

> > > > Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company...
> someone
> > > > VERY big.
> > >
> > > Big in height? or Width? or both!
> >
> > Valve?
> >
> > S
>
> That's one of the names being thrown around. I personally hope that they have nothing
> to do with this because, even if I appreciate Valve's Steam system... I buy games at
> GOG because I want standalone installers I can play without an internet connection.
> (Most of the games I own on Steam require an internet connection anyway.)
>
> The whole thing is beyond shady.

Very big? I dread the thought of EA or Activision owning purchasing GOG:

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: GatKong]
#234067 - 09/21/10 01:45 AM

Who?....

Top MEN...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#234076 - 09/21/10 02:59 AM

> > > > > Some people at NeoGAF believe that someone bought their parent company...
> > someone
> > > > > VERY big.
> > > >
> > > > Big in height? or Width? or both!
> > >
> > > Valve?
> > >
> > > S
> >
> > That's one of the names being thrown around. I personally hope that they have
> nothing
> > to do with this because, even if I appreciate Valve's Steam system... I buy games
> at
> > GOG because I want standalone installers I can play without an internet connection.
> > (Most of the games I own on Steam require an internet connection anyway.)
> >
> > The whole thing is beyond shady.
>
> Very big? I dread the thought of EA or Activision owning purchasing GOG:

It can't be them.

For one thing, both of those companies are mostly against the whole no-DRM deal. Not to mention if this had been done, they would've had to notify their shareholders, and someone would've spilled the beans already.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#234078 - 09/21/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

I want standalone installers I can play without an internet connection

One of my biggest gripes with games these days.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#234112 - 09/21/10 08:05 AM

> That's one of the names being thrown around. I personally hope that they have nothing
> to do with this because, even if I appreciate Valve's Steam system... I buy games at
> GOG because I want standalone installers I can play without an internet connection.
> (Most of the games I own on Steam require an internet connection anyway.)

I have to believe that Valve wouldn't mess with GOG if they bought them. It would be beyond retarded to buy a company like that and then trash one of the key pieces of their business model. I tend to believe that Valve is smarter than that.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: Fever]
#234119 - 09/21/10 09:20 AM

> > Dammit. I was just gonna buy their newest pack.
>
> At least their catalogue could have been assimilated into Steam or something...

That would be a little bit like Napstering™. Or, taking something and turning it mostly to the opposite.

Has anyone bought at DotEmu? They seem an alternative to GOG.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: GOG closes new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#234133 - 09/21/10 03:08 PM

> > > Dammit. I was just gonna buy their newest pack.
> >
> > At least their catalogue could have been assimilated into Steam or something...
>
> That would be a little bit like Napstering™. Or, taking something and turning it
> mostly to the opposite.
>
> Has anyone bought at DotEmu? They seem an alternative to GOG.

Some people I know think they're very odd, especially because they seem to copy GOG quite a bit.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#234288 - 09/22/10 07:06 PM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/22/good-old-games-gets-new-relaunches/#more-39792

- Stiletto

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: Stiletto]
#234301 - 09/22/10 08:16 PM

It honestly shows why I have not been too cool with the new 'physical media is dead' mentality going around some parts of the internet.

At some point that company will go away. What happens to the authentication servers. GOG was an exception here but what if in the future they decide to go the other way?

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: lharms]
#234302 - 09/22/10 08:32 PM

Even with physical media...what about crap like Ubi's 'gotta always be connected' DRM. I kinda doubt they'll release a patch to get rid of it if they go under.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: igamabob]
#234303 - 09/22/10 08:37 PM

Or even download patches themselves even when using games from physical media. I guess it's up to gamers to back up the patches, if that's even always possible. Like some old Tony Hawk games, you click the update button after an install and it doesn't find anything (anymore).

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#234304 - 09/22/10 08:56 PM

Yeah, you sometimes can find those patches on places like 3DGamers (if it's still around). PC gamers kind of get the shaft. (Of course, with the advent of consoles with HDD's, now even console gamers get to deal with the joys of a beta release to public)

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: igamabob]
#234307 - 09/22/10 09:21 PM

Old IP is becoming a lucrative and very cheap revenue stream for a lot of publishers now. All of a sudden those 10 or 20 year old games they didn't care about have value again.

Considering also how most publishers and devs view the pre-owned market I don't think it will be long before everything comes with a server related killswitch or requires an account purchase per game for second hand installers forcing people buying pre-owned titles to register and pay for an account before the game will play.

Fast forward 10 or 15 years and it seems likely physical media will be a thing of the past anyway, effectively ending any future for older games or a pre-owned market.

We've always been sold a limited licence rather than exclusive rights where the actual software is concerned but the industry could never control that when they're putting the physical media in the hands of the consumer. When the publisher also retains control and ownership of the media games are delivered on, we're pretty much f**ked in terms of long term or transferrable ownership.

Nice to see GOG is still alive but there's definitely a gentle but concerted and accelerating push to take control of things we buy away from us and handing it back to the publishers.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: FatTrucker]
#234319 - 09/23/10 12:00 AM

> Old IP is becoming a lucrative and very cheap revenue stream for a lot of publishers
> now. All of a sudden those 10 or 20 year old games they didn't care about have value
> again.
>
> Considering also how most publishers and devs view the pre-owned market I don't think
> it will be long before everything comes with a server related killswitch or requires
> an account purchase per game for second hand installers forcing people buying
> pre-owned titles to register and pay for an account before the game will play.
>
> Fast forward 10 or 15 years and it seems likely physical media will be a thing of the
> past anyway, effectively ending any future for older games or a pre-owned market.
>
> We've always been sold a limited licence rather than exclusive rights where the
> actual software is concerned but the industry could never control that when they're
> putting the physical media in the hands of the consumer. When the publisher also
> retains control and ownership of the media games are delivered on, we're pretty much
> f**ked in terms of long term or transferrable ownership.
>
> Nice to see GOG is still alive but there's definitely a gentle but concerted and
> accelerating push to take control of things we buy away from us and handing it back
> to the publishers.

Can you imagine it? 20 years from now there won't be any old games. It already happens today, when MMOs shut down. Once the servers are off, the game pretty much vanishes. Even if you have physical media, it's basically just a coaster.

Considering why most of us hang out here, that hits pretty close to home.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: A stunt. SO not cool. new [Re: DMala]
#234330 - 09/23/10 03:27 AM

APB lasted what, 2 months?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2873