MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother.
#265920 - 10/08/11 01:43 PM

Getting wind of the first proper benchmarks of this new AMD Cpu range that gets launched on Oct 12th, and results are not good, not good at all.

In fact on a clock for clock, core for core comparison, they are actually slower than the Phenom II range they are replacing..

Total clusterfuck by AMD incoming......

Edited by Ziggy100 (10/08/11 01:44 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#265934 - 10/08/11 07:12 PM

> Getting wind of the first proper benchmarks of this new AMD Cpu range that gets
> launched on Oct 12th, and results are not good, not good at all.
>
> In fact on a clock for clock, core for core comparison, they are actually slower than
> the Phenom II range they are replacing..
>
> Total clusterfuck by AMD incoming......

In fairness to AMD, they've more or less admitted they aren't trying for instructions per clock anymore. They're trying to co-opt Atom on the low end and throw more cores at the problem on the high end. That's a workable strategy given that even high-end PC games are now designed to cope with the abysmal instructions per clock on the X360/PS3.

They're pretty much ceding the entire workstation market to Intel though, plus those few crazies who buy PCs specifically to run emulators.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#265935 - 10/08/11 07:21 PM

>
> They're pretty much ceding the entire workstation market to Intel though, plus those
> few crazies who buy PCs specifically to run emulators.

I wonder what sites those crazies congregate in...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#265955 - 10/09/11 04:32 AM

Can you tell me where you are reading this? Because I'd be very interested in reading it as well. Thanks.

FWIW I think that x86 has already peaked. The shrinking of the staid desktop PC market in relation to the overall computing market will mean that it will not be profitable to spend the exponentially increasing research dollars necessary to advance the state of the art in x86. Simply put, x86 will get cheaper but will increase in speed at an ever decreasing rate in coming years. It's already happening as far as I can tell. Additionally, for 99% of the tasks that x86 CPUs are typically tasked with, there is no advantage to being faster. We're asymptotically approaching the point where x86 is fast enough for everyone in all circumstances.

As much as I like AMD (although I happily buy the best solution and have owned x86 CPUs from AMD, Intel, Cyrix, IBM, even NexGen back in the day) I don't think that the x86 market will have room for two x86 manufacturers in the future, and AMD will be the odd man out.

Edited by Bryan Ischo (10/09/11 04:33 AM)

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother. new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#266143 - 10/12/11 01:12 PM

This says it all really, from Annandtech.

"Intel's Core i5 2500K delivers nearly 50% better single threaded performance here than the FX-8150."

Totally useless for Mame,Dolphin,PCSX2

..complete AMD clusterfuck confirmed.

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

#266149 - 10/12/11 03:23 PM

I'll wait fot benchmarks after launch. All these are speculations or tests on non-final/test cpu samples.

It's supposed that today is the launch date.

Edited by DaffyDuck (10/12/11 03:24 PM)

Daffy Duck

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother. new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#266157 - 10/12/11 04:40 PM

> I'll wait fot benchmarks after launch. All these are speculations or tests on
> non-final/test cpu samples.
>
> It's supposed that today is the launch date.

Sites get real final samples before launch for the review. And there's no way they'd send out known slower-than-final chips as review samples.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Thinking of Bulldozer CPU For Mame?....Dont Bother. new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#266286 - 10/13/11 10:41 PM

> FWIW I think that x86 has already peaked.

I suggest boycotting all manufacturers until they get their asses in gear and release cellular-level bio computers.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#266313 - 10/14/11 06:51 AM

Just wait for Ivy Bridge instead in january 2012.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#266377 - 10/14/11 09:54 PM

> > Getting wind of the first proper benchmarks of this new AMD Cpu range that gets
> > launched on Oct 12th, and results are not good, not good at all.
> >
> > In fact on a clock for clock, core for core comparison, they are actually slower
> than
> > the Phenom II range they are replacing..
> >
> > Total clusterfuck by AMD incoming......
>
> In fairness to AMD, they've more or less admitted they aren't trying for instructions
> per clock anymore. They're trying to co-opt Atom on the low end and throw more cores
> at the problem on the high end. That's a workable strategy given that even high-end
> PC games are now designed to cope with the abysmal instructions per clock on the
> X360/PS3.
>
> They're pretty much ceding the entire workstation market to Intel though, plus those
> few crazies who buy PCs specifically to run emulators.

Those multi-core CPUs are awesome for servers and people who edit videos. It will probably compress videos at an incredible speed.

I'll probably get one, not so much for the app killers they were supposed to be, but for the few programs that will definitely take advantage of all the cores.

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

#266382 - 10/14/11 10:53 PM

> Sites get real final samples before launch for the review. And there's no way they'd
> send out known slower-than-final chips as review samples.

You've got a point in this.

I did a search, it seems that the product is not ready.

Like the first Phenom cpus. Now Phenom II C3 core has very good performance.

Daffy Duck

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3160