MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

naborneo
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/01/11
Send PM

Bezels for 16:9 Screens
#267652 - 11/01/11 02:20 AM

I attempting to create a bezel for MAME one for Horizontal Games and one for Vertical Games.
This is for a 16:9 HDTV So for H or V games it will always be vertical bars just different sizes. What I'm trying to figure out is the .lay file. This is what I've come up with.

Code:

(The Code tag doesn't seem to be showing up) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2938515/bezel.txt

But something tells me this is not correct. Also, where would this file and images go to be read by MAMEUI32? Thanks for any help.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Bezels for 16:9 Screens new [Re: naborneo]
#267654 - 11/01/11 02:46 AM

> I attempting to create a bezel for MAME one for Horizontal Games and one for Vertical
> Games.
> This is for a 16:9 HDTV So for H or V games it will always be vertical bars just
> different sizes. What I'm trying to figure out is the .lay file. This is what I've
> come up with.
>

Check here:

http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_generic.html

Note, though, that the part on that page about recompiling MAME for it to work on all games doesn't work anymore.

But the examples still stand as useful for creating generic artwork; just simply keep the lay file called default.lay, and rename the artwork file to gamename.zip.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

naborneo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bezels for 16:9 Screens new [Re: Mr. Do]
#267657 - 11/01/11 03:27 AM

So what I'm getting is there isn't a way to make just two bezels one for Horizontal games one for vertical games? I'd have to create an image for each specific game?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#267659 - 11/01/11 04:02 AM

> So what I'm getting is there isn't a way to make just two bezels one for Horizontal
> games one for vertical games? I'd have to create an image for each specific game?

For now, yes. It used to work before, but something changed around MAME 0.140, to where it doesn't work anymore.

Now if there was a way on the commandline to specify a specific artwork file to use for a game, then it would work.

naborneo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267660 - 11/01/11 04:13 AM

I just realize you wrote the code that I'm trying to work with, I guess I can't get closer then that. haha thanks for your help.

I've been editing a bezel.lay to use with GameEx could the frontend like GameEx make the choice then send it to MAME? I guess that would need the command line issue you just talked about....hmmm

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#267662 - 11/01/11 04:25 AM

> I just realize you wrote the code that I'm trying to work with, I guess I can't get
> closer then that. haha thanks for your help.
>
> I've been editing a bezel.lay to use with GameEx could the frontend like GameEx make
> the choice then send it to MAME? I guess that would need the command line issue you
> just talked about....hmmm

If I remember right, GameEX has an option wired into the frontend, that lets you use a self-created generic horizontal and vertical bezel. Might want to check on their forums:

http://www.gameex.com/Home.aspx

naborneo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267667 - 11/01/11 04:48 AM

This is what I got with GameEX, not sure why it's spitting out white lines, but seems like its almost there.

Code:

<!-- bezel.lay -->

<mamelayout version="2">
<element name="bezelh">
<image file="mameh.png" />
</element>

<element name="bezel">
<image file="mamev.png" />
</element>

<view name="Vert Bezel Artwork">
<screen index="0">
<bounds left="375" top="0" right="908" bottom="720" />
</screen>
<bezel element="bezel">
<bounds left="0" top="0" right="1280" bottom="720" />
</bezel>
</view>
<view name="Horz Bezel Artwork">
<screen index="0">
<bounds left="165" top="0" right="1120" bottom="720" />
</screen>
<bezel element="bezelh">
<bounds left="0" top="0" right="1280" bottom="720" />
</bezel>
</view>
</mamelayout>

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#267672 - 11/01/11 05:28 AM

> This is what I got with GameEX, not sure why it's spitting out white lines, but seems
> like its almost there.
>

Double check that you have your artwork PNG named correctly (mamev.png)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#267673 - 11/01/11 05:33 AM

> If I remember right, GameEX has an option wired into the frontend, that lets you use
> a self-created generic horizontal and vertical bezel. Might want to check on their
> forums:
>
> http://www.gameex.com/Home.aspx

Yeah, GameEX uses it's own custom Bezel, but I think it's just for vertical games. You can enable it by running the setup wizard. See the screen shot for info.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/gameex%20settings.png

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10842