View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

What's up with Tempest cocktail?
#332518 - 09/29/14 10:17 PM Attachment: edge Tempest.jpg 260 KB (1 downloads)

I'm not promising anything, just looking for a new project. I can't figure out what going on at the edge of this bezel. There's a thick black squarish line around the edge and a thinner, curvier line also. There is significant overlap between the two lines and they are both black. I'm no graphics designer but that seems like an odd choice artistically. Looking at a photo of an actual machine it seems like one line has more wear than the other which doesn't make much sense if they are both the same material. I wondering if maybe one of the black lines is really some type of adhesive used to secure the glass to the wooden table top? Does anyone know for sure?

Also someone named Mikonos seems to have gotten pretty far vectorizing this back in 2012. I don't speak Spanish so I'm not sure what's happening on that page, but from other threads I've read here he seems to be persona-non-grata at Mameworld? Any work I did to this would just be clean-up (and adding woodgrain), so if there is a vectorized version out there somewhere that might be available, that would be preferable.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

Re: What's up with Tempest cocktail? new [Re: Comboman]
#332523 - 09/30/14 12:51 AM

Here's a shot of a Tempest cocktail that doesn't show any second thinner line, there are many others if you google search. Possibly it's the cocktail table version of a pinball "beer seal".

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: What's up with Tempest cocktail? new [Re: jibmums]
#332573 - 09/30/14 05:28 PM

That's what I thought. Unfortunately it makes the clean up more difficult.

Are you a fellow pinhead? I recently got my first, a 1967 Bally Rocket III.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#332574 - 09/30/14 05:36 PM

Careful, it's contagious, you get one pin and you can't stop. I started a year ago with a Firepower, and since then I've added a Sorcerer, Earthshaker, The Simpsons, and a Pinbot. It's a great hobby, but it takes up a bit of room. My fiancée would like to kill me because I've taken over our whole dining room.

Edited by jibmums (09/30/14 05:39 PM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#332587 - 10/01/14 01:08 AM

> I'm not promising anything, just looking for a new project. I can't figure out what
> going on at the edge of this bezel. There's a thick black squarish line around the
> edge and a thinner, curvier line also. There is significant overlap between the two
> lines and they are both black. I'm no graphics designer but that seems like an odd
> choice artistically. Looking at a photo of an actual machine it seems like one line
> has more wear than the other which doesn't make much sense if they are both the same
> material. I wondering if maybe one of the black lines is really some type of adhesive
> used to secure the glass to the wooden table top? Does anyone know for sure?
>
> Also someone named Mikonos seems to have gotten pretty far vectorizing this back in
> 2012. I don't speak Spanish so I'm not sure what's happening on that page, but from
> other threads I've read here he seems to be persona-non-grata at Mameworld? Any work
> I did to this would just be clean-up (and adding woodgrain), so if there is a
> vectorized version out there somewhere that might be available, that would be
> preferable.

For lack of correct terminology, the squiggly line is the "glue strip" that holds the bezel to the cabinet. It couldn't be removed during scanning; ignore it.

Mikonos used to have FTP access, we had an agreement, he backed out of it; that's why the FTP password had to be changed earlier this year. He's also selfish, a thief, an asshole, a diva, and a two-face. So don't worry about doing double work, because his version will never see the light of day, other than his webpage.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#332594 - 10/01/14 04:15 AM

Yeah sorry about that. It is the rubber seal under the glass. It needs to be edited out. I had the option to use a new in the box glass bezel but I was to afraid to take it.

Pinball: I totally have the bug but lack the space. My friend lent me his Medieval Madness for a month which was predictably awesome. Also had a Champion Pub for a couple days taking up my Dining room. Fortunately the wife is cool with short visits. My provider of all these bezels has an awesome collection of 1990's Williams tables. Must be DMD style. Has the Hobbit and whatever comes next on Preorder. Big fan of WOZ.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2651