MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum
#354784 - 05/27/16 12:24 PM

I've never asked this before - ignorance is bliss.

But now I must know. What is the accepted/acceptable way of using artwork found in this forum?

I'm always assumed it's all free, non-copyrighted, and that people can take and use whatever is here as they pleased. IS that true?

If true - do people prefer to get credit, say in the comments section of the LAY file? Is that sufficient? Can I just download everything here, and post it elsewhere?

Curious to know.....

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum new [Re: Vaughan]
#354790 - 05/27/16 04:13 PM

> I've never asked this before - ignorance is bliss.
>
> But now I must know. What is the accepted/acceptable way of using artwork found in
> this forum?
>
> I'm always assumed it's all free, non-copyrighted, and that people can take and use
> whatever is here as they pleased. IS that true?
>
> If true - do people prefer to get credit, say in the comments section of the LAY
> file? Is that sufficient? Can I just download everything here, and post it elsewhere?
>
> Curious to know.....

Think of it like MAME... for each driver in MAME, there are comments at the beginning of the file that says who contributed to that driver.

I've done the same thing since the very beginning of the Artwork project... whoever contributed to a particular artwork file, the comments are at the end of the LAY file.

If you're using parts of an existing artwork (e.g. flyer, bezel, marquee, etc.), you should be giving credit to where you got your material; either the person's common-known name, or link to the website where you got it from. Guessing this applies to most of your files.

There are other websites out there that have individual graphics files posted from the MAME Artwork files, wholly, with no credit whatsoever, and personally, I think it's wrong. At the same time, I'm not stupid... I have a website that is open to the public, with no restrictions on downloads, so I accept the fact that that is going to happen.

I haven't gone through your stuff yet, but if you're not giving credit to your source material today, you should be. At minimum, it's the polite thing to do. Especially since you're essentially hosting your own personal website on this forum.

And speaking of that... I'm going to split this forum in a week or two... one for "official" artwork, and one for "everything else," now that "I'm back."

I view this forum in expanded mode, because it is what works best for me and how I run things. When three individual threads take up 95% of the space on the page, and two of those
are 2 1/2 - 4 years old, it makes it really hard to sift through what is "official" and what is "for fun." Don't worry... nothing will be deleted, just put in its own separate place.

As far as actual copyrights... it goes without saying that any original artwork from arcade companies is always copyrighted, whether it's a flyer, bezel, instruction card whatever. Those copyrights still belong to the current holders of the IP, just like a ROM file for Pac-Man. None of it is free, it is simply widely available.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum new [Re: Mr. Do]
#354802 - 05/27/16 07:43 PM

Firstly - really good to see you back, Mr. Do. If it weren't for your web site I'd not have not started creating Bezels - so you've been an inspiration.

As far as your checking my work - I can save you the time and effort. I don't even credit MYSELF in my LAY files. Everything I'm doing is part of a sort of automated line, where I just drop PNG's into the process. I rarely need to edit LAY files, so therefore have been sloppy about credits. That's not an excuse, so I'll take any criticism on the chin. At least it's something I can fix in the future. Come to think of it, it's an easy thing to go back and fix in old files I've created, although I'm now told there are more than 400 of them.

As I say, neglecting to do the right thing wasn't a deliberate and conscious decision on my part. I've just failed to look at the big picture. I can only say that I only intended to make a handful of Bezels, and have now gotten carried away.

As for hosting a web site here (as it were), I guess that's one way of looking at it. However, I don't store anything here - it's all stored off site. Perhaps at this point what I've done is a little over-the-top for this site, and if so just let me know and I'd be glad to come up with a different solution going forward. I can see your point. As it stands I already run into limitations of the forum software regularly - I don't know if it's a lmit on the number of codes in a post, or a limit on the total length of a post, but I often have my posts "blow up" and scramble. Such is life, a real first-world problem.

Anyway - thanks for the info, I agree with you 100%, even if I've likely been one of the most guilty. I can only say I'll fix it as I move forward.

And yeah - welcome back!!!

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum new [Re: Mr. Do]
#354835 - 05/28/16 07:57 AM

Mr. Do sightings are always nice.

I've made tons of artwork files that I haven't posted simply because I cannot trace where all of the source photos came from. In many cases, they are photos I downloaded years ago from sites/pages that no longer exist, etc. I do vector repros where I can to avoid issues of impropriety. I've set up lots of files with gear shifters and blinking volcano buttons and the like, but as they are not in a 3D perspective (and the shifters aren't coded for proper multi-state), they're not really compatible with the V-Cab format.

As always, anything I do post is fair game for whatever anyone wants to use it for.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum new [Re: Nightvoice]
#354836 - 05/28/16 08:32 AM

> I've made tons of artwork files that I haven't posted simply because I cannot trace
> where all of the source photos came from.

Whaaaaaaat?

I'll be PMing you in a few days.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Using Bezels and Artwork from this Forum new [Re: Vaughan]
#354878 - 05/29/16 02:08 AM

I can only speak for myself but I have no problem with anyone using the graphics I've posted here in their projects, either for MAME artwork or in other projects (some have asked me if they can use my stuff in 3D cabinet models which I think is great).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2009