Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Most modern Intel CPUs: Alert
#371294 - 11/23/17 02:31 AM

https://arstechnica.com/information-tech...are/?comments=1

Quote:

Risk Assessment
Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is not vulnerable.

For more information refer to the SA-00086 Detection Tool Guide or the Intel security advisory Intel-SA-00086 at the following link: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool
Application Version: 1.0.0.128
Scan date: 11/22/2017 7:27:17 PM

Host Computer Information
Name: XXXXXXXXX
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: H97M-HD3
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Intel(R) ME Information
Engine: Intel(R) Management Engine
Version: 9.1.21.1000
SVN: 1

Copyright(C) 2017, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved.

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Most modern Intel CPUs: Alert new [Re: TriggerFin]
#371296 - 11/23/17 03:36 AM

>

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Most modern Intel CPUs: Alert new [Re: Robbbert]
#371303 - 11/23/17 03:01 PM

Apparently my system is vulnerable to the flaw
I have a Gigabyte motherboard (bought separately and assembled by me) and have contacted Gigabyte via their support to ask if they have a BIOS update that fixes the flaw. Hopefully they do...

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Most modern Intel CPUs: Alert new [Re: jonwil]
#371304 - 11/23/17 03:17 PM

> Apparently my system is vulnerable to the flaw
> I have a Gigabyte motherboard (bought separately and assembled by me) and have
> contacted Gigabyte via their support to ask if they have a BIOS update that fixes the
> flaw. Hopefully they do...

My machine is just old enough to not be vulnerable, surprisingly considering it's 4Ghz i7, so this really does seem to be mostly newer hardware.

That said, I suspect we're going to end up uncovering a whole load of bugs in the earlier versions of this too, people said from the start this kind of complex but 'out of users control' software hidden in machines was a bad idea. Would not surprise me if the cut-off point they've gone with for disclosing bugs is the point at which they expect the motherboard manufacturers will likely still supply patches, while announcing bugs in earlier ones would likely leave machines permanently vulnerable.

I expect we'll see announcements of similar bugs in the AMD equivalents soon too.

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

They fix this shit yet? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#371469 - 11/29/17 02:40 AM

So this isn't something that can easily be fixed by a Windows update, right? Each manufacturer is going to have to release a BIOS firmware update?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: They fix this shit yet? new [Re: mike20599]
#371472 - 11/29/17 04:42 AM

> So this isn't something that can easily be fixed by a Windows update, right? Each
> manufacturer is going to have to release a BIOS firmware update?

My i5 3570K/Z77 PC is too old (ME version 8 ) so I haven't looked too deep but yes that's what it looks like. The Management Engine or whatever isn't completely independent, it has to talk to your motherboard's networking hardware, power management and whatever other resources it needs to tap into so it can do its thing while your PC is off LOL. It looks like it has to be tailored individually for each platform that's affected.

S

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

For curious people without an Intel processor new [Re: TriggerFin]
#371490 - 11/29/17 10:25 PM

I was curious about how this tool I have an AMD and the tool doesn't crash, it doesn't even tell you that you don't have an Intel i5/i7/i9 processor. It just gobbles up one core at 100% doing nothing in both GUI and console versions, apparently trying to read a register without success and retrying infinitely. I guess they thought if someone without an Intel processor gets this tool, they have lots of time to waste. Nice trolling, Intel.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: For curious people without an Intel processor new [Re: Pi]
#371506 - 11/30/17 07:26 AM

> Nice trolling, Intel.

If someone with an AMD processor downloads an Intel-specific utility released by Intel to diagnose a bug with Intel-specific technology that only exists in Intel processors, the person didn't get trolled by Intel. The person is simply a moron of the highest order.

Hey, WTF Nvidia, this utility that's specific to Nvidia cards behaves oddly on my AMD Radeon card, stop trolling meeeeeeee!

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#371508 - 11/30/17 08:05 AM

When I heard about it, I ran the tool (Skylake Core i5 on a Gigabyte motherboard here) and it said I was vulnerable. Then I emailed Gigabyte technical support who responded with a BIOS update that fixes the problem. Intel tool now says I am not vulnerable so its all good I think.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#371515 - 11/30/17 03:19 PM

> So this isn't something that can easily be fixed by a Windows update, right? Each
> manufacturer is going to have to release a BIOS firmware update?

Yeah, it will require a BIOS update. If your motherboard is no longer supported I guess you're out of luck.

If that's the case there might be some legal route you can take, but who knows.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: For curious people without an Intel processor new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#371538 - 12/01/17 05:04 AM

I was curious how would they react to the fact that half the computers in this world have someone sitting in front of them without knowledge of what kind of processor they have. Certainly they managed that in the worst way. I honestly thought a popup would appear saying something like 'you don't have the right kind of CPU', and my post was directed towards that POV.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: For curious people without an Intel processor new [Re: Pi]
#371736 - 12/09/17 06:59 AM

> I was curious how would they react to the fact that half the computers in this world
> have someone sitting in front of them without knowledge of what kind of processor
> they have.

Yet those people have heard of the Management Engine exploit and somehow downloaded the diagnostic tool. Nah..

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1333