MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JB
CHIJB55
Reged: 10/22/03
Send PM

Puckman Namco Bezel w/Control Panel (UPDATED)
#373182 - 01/17/18 01:18 AM Attachment: Puckman_Namco_Rev22.png 2438 KB (24 downloads)

New, improved version. Thanks for all the input.

Updates to previous comments:

*Notice how the orange circle overlaps the orange rectangular border, and extends all the way to the edge of the bezel. (FIXED)
*The character on the bottom right seems to skinny... compare to the bezel and cabinet pics. (FIXED)
*Between the cabinet pic and the instruction card pic, you should be able to nail that down pretty good. (FIXED)
*Font on "CONTROL" needs fixing... cabinet pic should help with that. (FIXED)
*White streaks above bottom left character need fixing... these are missing to the left of the bottom right character. (FIXED)
*Missing white highlights on energizer in hand of bottom left character. (FIXED)
*Cherry's need some detail work, and correct placement... cabinet pic will help with that. (IN PROCESS)

Other Things changed:
1. Updated colors to match better
2. Redrew left Control Panel area to match original layout. (Note: Original in Namco/Bandai HQ seems to have somewhat different version with characters slightly shifted)
3. Redrew clouds
4. Redrew all borders
5. Fixed Kanji on control panel sticker and left control panel
6. Redrew Control Panel borders again. Much happier with the consistency of the line widths, as well as the much improved radius/corners.
7. Re-added NAMCO logo that I had mysteriously deleted
8. Added Copyright Namco Limited 1980

Things to do:
1. Accurately map the transparent (game) area
2. Not completely happy with the "speed" (white line) markers
3. May completely redraw the PacMen and ghosts (again)
4. Detail on cherries is lacking. Balancing adding detail vs. changing original too much.

-JB

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by JB (01/24/18 04:27 PM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Puckman Namco Bezel w/Control Panel new [Re: JB]
#373200 - 01/17/18 11:07 AM

> OK, I'm not saying this is 100% or anything. I'm working off some crappy low-res pics
> of the (original)control panel. But I've been zooming in/out on blurry images and
> comparing it to some vintage posters/flyers/etc, and have done some pretty cool stuff
> IMHO.
>
> I am NOT sure on the Japanese Kanji on the 1P/2P Buttons, or on the sticker to the
> left. All the other images seem to be accurate for the original cabinet, with some
> (minor) placement issues on some of the text/images on the control panel.
>
> I'm not calling this done by any means. But for a Bezel with the completed original
> overlay, this is the best I've seen. Not that the bar is very high; in fact, I've
> never really seen one .
>
> As always, your comments appreciated.
>
> -JB

Ya know... I think there are possibilities here... I just went through all my pics, and I think this might be doable... I'm going to post a bunch of pics as replies to this thread after typing this:

-- Dimensions: should be the same as the existing Tank Batallion artwork in MAME, as it's the same cabinet, just different graphics. Current MAME Artwork is 3189x4000. One of the pics below is a "rough" idea of what it should look like.

-- Instruction Card: I have a Japanese cocktail instruction card... all of the details listed on the upright are also listed in the card, just in different sections... that should help you create the detail for the bottom left. The cabinet pic below also has pretty good detail on the instructions.

-- Colors: Below is a pretty good pic of a cabinet... you can get a better eye on the colors in this pic. The red, blue, and yellow should essentially be the same as the current Pac-Man bezel in MAME Artwork. (Also posted below for reference). The orange, you can get out of the cabinet pic. The bottom of the control panel is faded... those should be red stripes all the way down... I also attached a pic of my miniature Namco model cabinet I got last year, in case that helps. (though, there are some things incorrect on it... refer to the actual cabinet for character placement and other details).

-- Details:
--Notice how the orange circle overlaps the orange rectangular border, and extends all the way to the edge of the bezel.
-- The character on the bottom right seems to skinny... compare to the bezel and cabinet pics.
-- Between the cabinet pic and the instruction card pic, you should be able to nail that down pretty good.
-- Font on "CONTROL" needs fixing... cabinet pic should help with that.
-- White streaks above bottom left character need fixing... these are missing to the left of the bottom right character.
-- Missing white highlights on energizer in hand of bottom left character.
-- Cherry's need some detail work, and correct placement... cabinet pic will help with that.

I think that's everything? Reference pics below this post.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Bezel dimensions sample new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373201 - 01/17/18 11:08 AM Attachment: puckman_bezel_dimensions_sample.jpg 1994 KB (1 downloads)

Here's how it should look when finished; same dimensions as Tank Batallion.

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Better cabinet pic new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373202 - 01/17/18 11:08 AM Attachment: puckman_cabinet.jpg 3617 KB (1 downloads)

Much better cabinet pic... you can make out a lot of the needed details here.

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Additional bezel pic new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373203 - 01/17/18 11:09 AM Attachment: puckman bezel.jpg 166 KB (1 downloads)

Another angle at the bezel, to see necessary details.

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Cocktail instruction card new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373204 - 01/17/18 11:10 AM Attachment: puckman.png 468 KB (8 downloads)

All of these instructions are on the lower left of the bezel, just arranged differently... this should help with that.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Pac-Man bezel new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373205 - 01/17/18 11:11 AM Attachment: pacman_bezel_upright.png 790 KB (4 downloads)

Use this for color matching red, blue, and yellow.

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Namco model cabinet new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373206 - 01/17/18 11:12 AM Attachment: IMG_20180117_004646.jpg 2734 KB (2 downloads)

In case it helps with some details... closeup pic of my Puckman model cabinet. (Note: not all details and image placement are correct on this... refer to above cabinet pics for that).

Attachment

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Puckman Namco Bezel w/Control Panel (UPDATED) new [Re: JB]
#373494 - 01/28/18 11:06 AM Attachment: puckman_characters.zip 1491 KB (9 downloads)

> New, improved version. Thanks for all the input.
>
> Updates to previous comments:
>
> *Notice how the orange circle overlaps the orange rectangular border, and extends all
> the way to the edge of the bezel. (FIXED)
> *The character on the bottom right seems to skinny... compare to the bezel and
> cabinet pics. (FIXED)
> *Between the cabinet pic and the instruction card pic, you should be able to nail
> that down pretty good. (FIXED)
> *Font on "CONTROL" needs fixing... cabinet pic should help with that. (FIXED)
> *White streaks above bottom left character need fixing... these are missing to the
> left of the bottom right character. (FIXED)
> *Missing white highlights on energizer in hand of bottom left character. (FIXED)
> *Cherry's need some detail work, and correct placement... cabinet pic will help with
> that. (IN PROCESS)
>
>
> Other Things changed:
> 1. Updated colors to match better
> 2. Redrew left Control Panel area to match original layout. (Note: Original in
> Namco/Bandai HQ seems to have somewhat different version with characters slightly
> shifted)
> 3. Redrew clouds
> 4. Redrew all borders
> 5. Fixed Kanji on control panel sticker and left control panel
> 6. Redrew Control Panel borders again. Much happier with the consistency of the line
> widths, as well as the much improved radius/corners.
> 7. Re-added NAMCO logo that I had mysteriously deleted
> 8. Added Copyright Namco Limited 1980
>
> Things to do:
> 1. Accurately map the transparent (game) area
> 2. Not completely happy with the "speed" (white line) markers
> 3. May completely redraw the PacMen and ghosts (again)
> 4. Detail on cherries is lacking. Balancing adding detail vs. changing original too
> much.
>
> -JB

Getting closer.

-- Control Panel area looks too small... compare to cabinet pic. On the instruction side, you can see the bottom character's foot hanging down into the blue outline ; in the middle by the bottom star, the curve of the joystick portion comes right to the tip of the star... whole section looks to be ~20 pixels short. The blue, the yellow, the blue again, and the red all need to be moved up some. (Overlay your current version over the reference version to see what I mean.

-- Control panel area... all corners should be rounded; there are no square corners.

-- Instructions... I found an even better pic of the instructions... see next post below reply. Using all the elements of the cocktail card, and just inverting some of the colors from it where necessary, this should be doable. (Current version is "squished). Also... the sticker should be a separate file... it would have been printed separately, and taped under the bezel... there is a window on the actual bezel, where the instruction card goes. Same for that little "red arrow" sticker pointing to the 1P button.

-- Namco Logo... should be up... centered on the yellow line above where it is currently at.

-- Character and fruit elements... see attached. Zorg vectored a bootleg Puckman Bezel sometime ago... most of the elements from that bootleg match the actual bezel. The file I uploaded has all of the characters, "whoosh" lines, etc., except for the bottom right character, with the background removed. NOTE: The "whoosh" lines on this version are too short on the ghost... see reference pic. Also... the white highlight on the power pellet on the bottom right character on this file is missing. This should help with that part, without having to redraw everything on your own.

-- Stars... these should be centered... right now, they are slightly off to the left. (In fact, I think the actual frame is slightly off, also).

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Puckman Namco Bezel w/Control Panel (UPDATED) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#373495 - 01/28/18 11:07 AM Attachment: puckman_instructions_ better.jpg 196 KB (2 downloads)

Went looking, and found this literally a few minutes ago. Better pic of the instruction card.

Attachment

JB
CHIJB55
Send PM

#373497 - 01/28/18 04:17 PM

> > New, improved version. Thanks for all the input.
> >
> > Updates to previous comments:
> >
> > *Notice how the orange circle overlaps the orange rectangular border, and extends
> all
> > the way to the edge of the bezel. (FIXED)
> > *The character on the bottom right seems to skinny... compare to the bezel and
> > cabinet pics. (FIXED)
> > *Between the cabinet pic and the instruction card pic, you should be able to nail
> > that down pretty good. (FIXED)
> > *Font on "CONTROL" needs fixing... cabinet pic should help with that. (FIXED)
> > *White streaks above bottom left character need fixing... these are missing to the
> > left of the bottom right character. (FIXED)
> > *Missing white highlights on energizer in hand of bottom left character. (FIXED)
> > *Cherry's need some detail work, and correct placement... cabinet pic will help
> with
> > that. (IN PROCESS)
> >
> >
> > Other Things changed:
> > 1. Updated colors to match better
> > 2. Redrew left Control Panel area to match original layout. (Note: Original in
> > Namco/Bandai HQ seems to have somewhat different version with characters slightly
> > shifted)
> > 3. Redrew clouds
> > 4. Redrew all borders
> > 5. Fixed Kanji on control panel sticker and left control panel
> > 6. Redrew Control Panel borders again. Much happier with the consistency of the
> line
> > widths, as well as the much improved radius/corners.
> > 7. Re-added NAMCO logo that I had mysteriously deleted
> > 8. Added Copyright Namco Limited 1980
> >
> > Things to do:
> > 1. Accurately map the transparent (game) area
> > 2. Not completely happy with the "speed" (white line) markers
> > 3. May completely redraw the PacMen and ghosts (again)
> > 4. Detail on cherries is lacking. Balancing adding detail vs. changing original too
> > much.
> >
> > -JB
>
> Getting closer.
>
> -- Control Panel area looks too small... compare to cabinet pic. On the instruction
> side, you can see the bottom character's foot hanging down into the blue outline ; in
> the middle by the bottom star, the curve of the joystick portion comes right to the
> tip of the star... whole section looks to be ~20 pixels short. The blue, the yellow,
> the blue again, and the red all need to be moved up some. (Overlay your current
> version over the reference version to see what I mean.
>
> -- Control panel area... all corners should be rounded; there are no square corners.
>
> -- Instructions... I found an even better pic of the instructions... see next post
> below reply. Using all the elements of the cocktail card, and just inverting some of
> the colors from it where necessary, this should be doable. (Current version is
> "squished). Also... the sticker should be a separate file... it would have been
> printed separately, and taped under the bezel... there is a window on the actual
> bezel, where the instruction card goes. Same for that little "red arrow" sticker
> pointing to the 1P button.
>
> -- Namco Logo... should be up... centered on the yellow line above where it is
> currently at.
>
> -- Character and fruit elements... see attached. Zorg vectored a bootleg Puckman
> Bezel sometime ago... most of the elements from that bootleg match the actual bezel.
> The file I uploaded has all of the characters, "whoosh" lines, etc., except for the
> bottom right character, with the background removed. NOTE: The "whoosh" lines on this
> version are too short on the ghost... see reference pic. Also... the white highlight
> on the power pellet on the bottom right character on this file is missing. This
> should help with that part, without having to redraw everything on your own.
>
> -- Stars... these should be centered... right now, they are slightly off to the left.
> (In fact, I think the actual frame is slightly off, also).

Awesome, thanks. Appreciate the detail and feedback - finding any good shots of this are difficult at best, and sometimes this Bezel-recreation work feels a lot like being a Man In The Wilderness .

I too want to get this one JUST RIGHT. This is more than just a classic video game to me too. Appreciate the time to help move this along.

JB
CHIJB55
Send PM

#373538 - 01/30/18 04:52 AM Attachment: Puckman_Namco_Rev27.png 1994 KB (13 downloads)

Hey, you give me feedback, and I'll go cheerfully plugging along . See my latest revision, helped along by the crappy day of work I had today. But that $hitstorm let me dive into some of the more nagging issues here. See my notes on previous comments, below.

As always, your feedback and attention to detail, appreciated.

-JB

>> Control Panel area looks too small... compare to cabinet pic. On the instruction
> > side, you can see the bottom character's foot hanging down into the blue outline ;
> > in the middle by the bottom star, the curve of the joystick portion comes right to the
> > tip of the star... whole section looks to be ~20 pixels short. The blue, the yellow,
> > the blue again, and the red all need to be moved up some. (Overlay your current
> > version over the reference version to see what I mean.
----->DONE? Still working on this, as this is hard to get exact, as all the pictures have either some angle or perspective skewing. Fading of red/yellow blurs the lines making judgement of widths more difficult. I continue to pursusue this part. This is the closest I've gotten to date.

> > -- Control panel area... all corners should be rounded; there are no square corners.
----->DONE. Cant believe i missed that (REDONE 2/7 for better corners)

> > -- Instructions... I found an even better pic of the instructions... see next post
> > below reply. Using all the elements of the cocktail card, and just inverting some
>> of the colors from it where necessary, this should be doable. (Current version is
> > "squished). Also... the sticker should be a separate file... it would have been
> > printed separately, and taped under the bezel... there is a window on the actual
> > bezel, where the instruction card goes. Same for that little "red arrow" sticker
> > pointing to the 1P button.
----->DONE!!! Note - I do all of these in layers, so the instruction card/red arrow sticker can be easily removed if required.

> > -- Namco Logo... should be up... centered on the yellow line above where it is currently at.
----->DONE

> > -- Character and fruit elements... see attached. Zorg vectored a bootleg Puckman
> > Bezel sometime ago... most of the elements from that bootleg match the actual bezel.
----->DONE

> > The file I uploaded has all of the characters, "whoosh" lines, etc., except for the
> > bottom right character, with the background removed. NOTE: The "whoosh" lines on
> this version are too short on the ghost... see reference pic.
----->DONE? The "whoosh" lines are hard to reproduce perfectly

>> Also... the white highlight on the power pellet on the bottom right character on this file is missing. This should help with that part, without having to redraw everything on your own.
----->DONE

> > -- Stars... these should be centered... right now, they are slightly off to the left.
----->PENDING. Hmmm..I checked and they show to be centered to the pixel on my end. Weird.

> > (In fact, I think the actual frame is slightly off, also). (This could be do to some "stretching" due to the angle of the photographed image?
----->PENDING. The oval center in my redraw is a perfect circle; maybe the original wasn't quite so perfect?

Attachment

Edited by JB (02/07/18 11:09 PM)

JoeyTDL
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/10/22
Send PM

#393757 - 04/11/22 02:53 AM

I REALY want to Buy a Puck Man bezel. The one you recreated Fantastic!
Do you sell printed Bezel overlays I can purchase?
Thanks
Joey

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#395020 - 10/23/22 11:59 PM

Has this been added in to the official PuckMan artwork yet?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Puckman Namco Bezel w/Control Panel (UPDATED) new [Re: sirscotty]
#395021 - 10/24/22 01:18 AM

Not yet... still needs a few tweaks first (sorry... I'm really picky on this one).

On my list of things to do, after I finish updating all of the Layout files to current MAME standards. (Which I've finally started on my end).

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#396292 - 05/23/23 02:11 PM

> Not yet... still needs a few tweaks first (sorry... I'm really picky on this one).
>
> On my list of things to do, after I finish updating all of the Layout files to
> current MAME standards. (Which I've finally started on my end).

Adding for future reference

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3896