MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Nvidia Gsync monitors with MAME, Is there any benefit?
#380075 - 12/16/18 07:31 PM

So the time has come for me to replace my monitor, mainly for use with emulators and one of the things I need to consider is whether its worth spending the $100-$200 premium that Gsync monitors command.

I don't mind paying the extra if there is a benefit from using it in Mame but as I really don't play modern games any more,Gsync is not something I'd really want to pay extra for if it was only of benefit in modern 3D based games.

Does the variable frequency range on such monitors have any positive benefit when running games in Mame with their somewhat odd refresh rates down the years or would I be wasting money paying for such a feature for use only with Mame and if there is a benefit, is it so small as to be unnoticeable during gameplay?

Thanks for any advice before I purchase.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Nvidia Gsync monitors with MAME, Is there any benefit? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#380081 - 12/16/18 10:42 PM

Yes it's definitely worth it.

Years ago I dropped $700 on an Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" and my MAME experience dramatically improved. I've been enjoying smooth scrolling with no sound stuttering at all.

If you're unable to play MAME on a CRT then it's the next best thing you can do. The difference is night and day.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Nvidia Gsync monitors with MAME, Is there any benefit? new [Re: B2K24]
#380090 - 12/17/18 09:14 AM

Thanks for that, good to know there is a real, tangible difference with GSync.

..Now the hard part, deciding which Gsync monitor to go for.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Nvidia Gsync monitors with MAME, Is there any benefit? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#380114 - 12/18/18 06:16 AM

I love my Acer Predators if for no other reason is the stand itself.

It's solid with a good footprint & swivels so easily from portrait to landscape...( I looked for monitor stands like this for years from 3rd market makers & NEVER found 1 that did a decent job ).

Then of course, they are perfect for MAME(& other things). I even put away my ArcadeVGA & crt's for awhile now. They'll be back though at some point...prolly when the cab gets rebuilt again.

You can't go wrong with 1 of these & I don't think you can do any better with anything else out there right now.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 531