MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Is this normal hardware behaviour (Atari & Midway) or a Mame 'Seattle' driver bug?
#383825 - 09/29/19 10:47 AM

I fired up California Speed (Mame v214) and noticed the wildly fluctating frame rate, it's all over the place between 24-60fps whilst in races, 15fps on the intro movies and a solid 60 on title screens and high score screens.The internal Mame FPS counter isn't showing any dropped frames so this isn't a case of my CPU not being fast enough.

Also, later 3D Atari games based on the 'Vegas' hardware (Gauntlet Legends) do not display this kind of behaviour running at their correct, locked 30fps.
To illustrate what I mean here is a recording I did whilst running it...take a look,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1GuGJ_SQLA&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, its all over the place, and its the same in any of the other Atari Seattle based 3D titles as well as other makers games like Midway's 'Hyperdrive' that use the Mame 'Seattle' hardware driver.
At first I thought it might be some weird setting in Mame's video options causing it but when i run any other 3D based system with the exact same settings i'm using, like Namco's 'Ridge Racer' games or Gaelco's 'Speed Up' they are all a super smooth, locked 60fps. So that would suggest its specific to this driver rather than Mame itself.

I find it difficult to believe that either Atari or Midway would release their games with such wildly varying framerates, console conversions of the games, yes, but not their arcade releases.

So, normal behaviour for the hardware or a Mame driver bug?

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Re: Is this normal hardware behaviour (Atari & Midway) or a Mame 'Seattle' driver bug? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#383832 - 09/29/19 07:41 PM

The fluctuating FPS is normal on this game but California Speed wasn't supposed to go above 30fps from my experience playing the game on actual hardware. Carnevil had a similar issue where the Umlaut sequences play at the incorrect speed.

-.-

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

Re: Is this normal hardware behaviour (Atari & Midway) or a Mame 'Seattle' driver bug? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#383835 - 09/29/19 11:07 PM

Yeah, I reported the carnevil issue here: https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7093

Edited by MetalGod (09/29/19 11:09 PM)

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Off topic: unused secret California Speed ending new [Re: Ziggy100]
#383839 - 09/30/19 03:29 AM

Apparently this video is on the hard drive, but there is no in-game way to access it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47qSBsvMa8

I wonder what other stuff they filled up their hard drives with?

Edited by mike20599 (09/30/19 03:30 AM)

kirishima
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/29/18
Send PM

Re: Off topic: unused secret California Speed ending new [Re: mike20599]
#383901 - 10/07/19 02:17 AM

There's an unused variation of the main theme from the N64 version in the harddrive and a variation of the Silicon Valley track. I forgot what else was in there audio wise.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 913