MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Update: Come Play With My Balls
#392789 - 12/14/21 03:07 PM

I've updated 325 of my artwork files (linked in my signature) to include more animation. All of the games that use regular ball joysticks now have moving ones with the exception of the following which I couldn't work out yet:
archrivl
blaster
eprom
foodf
roadrunn
sinistar

All of the games that use regular spinners now have moving ones. I used a generic metal spinner for most, but some (tron, dotron, kroozr, wfortune etc.) have game-specific images.

llander now has an animated throttle (it takes a long time to load).

One thing I haven't worked out yet is games with push-down spinner triggers (forgottn, frontlin, wwestern for example). They have regular spinners for now.

I know most people don't appreciate my images, so feel free to drop your own into the files if you have better. If I accomplished nothing else, I saved time for others who may need to work the scripting params out for their own formats.

I also added a few new games.

What would be infinitely appreciated is if someone with 3D modeling skills (jibmums?) could create realistic top-view 9-position trigger stick images for any games that use them (tron, gorf, etc) along with separate shadow files. That sort of graphic work is beyond my skillset.

Enjoy and happy holidays.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: Update: Come Play With My Balls new [Re: Nightvoice]
#392790 - 12/14/21 05:51 PM

Many many thanks and Happy Holidays to you too!

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#392792 - 12/15/21 12:19 AM

> I've updated 325 of my artwork files (linked in my signature) to include more
> animation. All of the games that use regular ball joysticks now have moving ones with
> the exception of the following which I couldn't work out yet:
> archrivl
> eprom
> foodf
> roadrunn
> sinistar
>
> All of the games that use regular spinners now have moving ones. I used a generic
> metal spinner for most, but some (tron, dotron, kroozr, wfortune etc.) have
> game-specific images.
>
> llander now has an animated throttle (it takes a long time to load).
>
> One thing I haven't worked out yet is games with push-down spinner triggers
> (forgottn, frontlin, wwestern for example). They have regular spinners for now.
>
> I know most people don't appreciate my images, so feel free to drop your own into the
> files if you have better. If I accomplished nothing else, I saved time for others who
> may need to work the scripting params out for their own formats.
>
> I also added a few new games.
>
> What would be infinitely appreciated is if someone with 3D modeling skills (jibmums?)
> could create realistic top-view 9-position trigger stick images for any games that
> use them (tron, gorf, etc) along with separate shadow files. That sort of graphic
> work is beyond my skillset.
>
> Enjoy and happy holidays.

This is great! I just got the biggest smile playing Lunar Lander and Wheel of Fortune.

This will help so much when I get my a** back in gear. Thank you so much!!

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Another Update new [Re: Nightvoice]
#392808 - 12/20/21 10:54 PM

I've added animated steering wheels to:
amspdwy
demoderbc
dragrace
grchamp
monaco
montecar
nitedrvr
polepos
polepos2
speedfrk

And animated rotary joysticks to:
gondo
gwar
hbarrel
ikari
ikari3
midres
timesold
victroad

And a moving throttle for aburner2.

And finally button indicators and LEDs to hyprdriv.

NOTES: Speed Freak is a strange beast. I can only get gears 1 and 2 to indicate. Demolition Derby has some weird shit in the setup of the yellow and green gear shifts; they work, but won't display in "neutral". Monaco GP uses a joystick, so the steering wheel leaves a bit to be desired. One thing I learned going through these is why some games don't seem to be playable worth a shit. Not all MAME steering is created equal, but some drivers are still WIP and some are "hardware accurate" (read: won't work with regular game controllers).

Hope it helps.

Edited by Nightvoice (12/29/21 02:32 PM)

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

RaspBear
retrogamer
Reged: 09/12/16
Loc: Italia
Send PM

#392816 - 12/21/21 08:59 AM

Impressive work! Thank you so much.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Last Update For a While new [Re: Nightvoice]
#393011 - 01/08/22 08:55 PM

... until better images surface or somebody posts script that works for 49-way joysticks, this is about as far as I can go. If an IF statement isn't possible with lua or regular layout script, I won't be able to animate the push-down spinners properly (dotron, frontlin, etc.).

Final notes:
I noticed the diagonals on the ball joysticks weren't right, so I corrected them to be the right distance from center (when you work with animation, a little bit matters). I also noticed knob1 and knob2 were reversed on all the metal spinners, so I corrected that too. Some of them were spinning way too fast, and I fixed this by changing the mask from f to f0.

Added a throttle and a better image to Thunder Blade. Also added joystick animation to tron/dotron, boothill/gunfight, and tapper/rbtapper that will probably make any serious graphic artist giggle (it's segmented ala Space Harrier) but it's sufficient to show movement and position for now.

It's nice to see my original vision close to being realized. Now comes the long process of making sure everything is properly sourced.

Just a reminder: In Full_Cabinet view (which includes no speakers, kickplates, or flyers), you can switch off any of the three elements. Thanks to the devs for making this more flexible.

Hoping this isn't the end.

~~Nachtvox

Edited by Nightvoice (01/10/22 04:28 AM)

----------------------

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 579