MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

what game you would like to replay through, but can't bring yourself to do so...
#235662 - 10/05/10 09:31 PM

shadow-man, n64

what i loved; atmosphere, the swamp levels, genuinely spooky story and gameplay, boss fights, items and rpg-like progression.

what i fear; the in-game map is just a rough indicator, and the levels, iirc, are depressingly LARGE, and complex.

i learned everything i know from KC

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

i've been saved! new [Re: jopezu]
#235666 - 10/05/10 09:43 PM

this guy has a great looking series! i may just watch the whole thing again. his comments are very entertaining!

example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_krgG_auE&feature=related

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: what game you would like to replay through, but can't bring yourself to do so... new [Re: jopezu]
#235668 - 10/05/10 10:05 PM

I don't think there's anything I'd got ALL the way through that I would want to play again, if someone put a gun to my head? Outcast maybe, possibly Half-Life
There's plenty of stuff I originally got quite a way though then went back years later and started from the start again and finished
Previous:
Nox
Deus Ex

Current:
Planescape: Torment

To Do:
System Shock 2
Elder scrolls: Battlespire

Also I finished Baulders Gate 2 but lost the character in a Partition Magic SNAFU before playing the add-on - I could just start a new char for the expansion, or play through BG2 again OR I think you can import your char from BG1 into BG2 and I never got far in BG1 so I could play the whole damn think - like I could be arsed or find the time though...

> shadow-man, n64
>
>
> what i loved; atmosphere, the swamp levels, genuinely spooky story and gameplay, boss
> fights, items and rpg-like progression.
>
>
> what i fear; the in-game map is just a rough indicator, and the levels, iirc, are
> depressingly LARGE, and complex.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: what game you would like to replay through, but can't bring yourself to do so... new [Re: jopezu]
#235672 - 10/05/10 11:07 PM

Earthbound

The game was extremely fun and the ending was amazing (once it was figured out) but the ending is exactly why I can't play through it again. Once you figure out how to defeat Giygas and see it go down, it's almost indescribable.

If I were to play it again, I'd just go right to the correct method, and none of the thrill or magic would be there.

But I'd still consider Earthbound to be one of my favorite games.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: what game you would like to replay through, but can't bring yourself to do so... new [Re: Fever]
#235687 - 10/06/10 01:49 AM

> I don't think there's anything I'd got ALL the way through that I would want to play
> again, if someone put a gun to my head? Outcast maybe, possibly Half-Life
> There's plenty of stuff I originally got quite a way though then went back years
> later and started from the start again and finished
> Previous:
> Nox
> Deus Ex
>
> Current:
> Planescape: Torment
>
> To Do:
> System Shock 2
> Elder scrolls: Battlespire
>
> Also I finished Baulders Gate 2 but lost the character in a Partition Magic SNAFU
> before playing the add-on - I could just start a new char for the expansion, or play
> through BG2 again OR I think you can import your char from BG1 into BG2 and I never
> got far in BG1 so I could play the whole damn think - like I could be arsed or find
> the time though...
>
> > shadow-man, n64
> >
> >
> > what i loved; atmosphere, the swamp levels, genuinely spooky story and gameplay,
> boss
> > fights, items and rpg-like progression.
> >
> >
> > what i fear; the in-game map is just a rough indicator, and the levels, iirc, are
> > depressingly LARGE, and complex.

wow dude... me and you are soul mates

planescape torment, deus ex and nox are on my list too...

i've beaten torment and deus ex both twice. nox, i never finished.

torment and deus ex are still at the top of my rpg lists.
the writing and story in both of these games has yet to be topped.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#235697 - 10/06/10 04:24 AM Attachment: mario-world.jpg 423 KB (0 downloads)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (2600)
Space Quest (DOS)
Police Quest (DOS)
River City Ransom (NES)
Dragon Warrior II (NES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Shining Force III (SAT)
Dracula X (SAT)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

i'm on video 17. no lie. nt new [Re: jopezu]
#235698 - 10/06/10 04:31 AM

> this guy has a great looking series! i may just watch the whole thing again. his
> comments are very entertaining!
>
> example...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_krgG_auE&feature=related

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

dude... c'mon man... new [Re: Gemini]
#235699 - 10/06/10 04:35 AM

> Raiders of the Lost Ark (2600)
> Space Quest (DOS)
> Police Quest (DOS)
> River City Ransom (NES)
> Dragon Warrior II (NES)
> Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
> Super Mario World (SNES)
> Shining Force III (SAT)
> Dracula X (SAT)

fucking smw? that's like 3 or 4 sit down sessions of 2 hours. or less if you're good. same with river city ransom, smb3 and dracula x.

if you're shivering in your boots at the thought of having to replay these flash-in-the-pan games, you need to quit the goddamn army and come lift weights with me in my garage, eat caveman dinners, fuck my wife some (with me watching of course), and take some lessons in game playing from me and my brother.

we will indoctrinate you on how to grow video game prowess pubic hair on your mons pubis, and your face. and you will enjoy fall sunsets, gentle breezes replete with beach salinity, soaring self-confidence, a new job building sles 11 boxes, and the rewards of your own toil at our hands.

pinky promise.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

Re: dude... c'mon man... new [Re: jopezu]
#235704 - 10/06/10 05:14 AM Attachment: indeed.gif 15 KB (0 downloads)

> > Raiders of the Lost Ark (2600)
> > Space Quest (DOS)
> > Police Quest (DOS)
> > River City Ransom (NES)
> > Dragon Warrior II (NES)
> > Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
> > Super Mario World (SNES)
> > Shining Force III (SAT)
> > Dracula X (SAT)
>
>
> fucking smw? that's like 3 or 4 sit down sessions of 2 hours. or less if you're good.
> same with river city ransom, smb3 and dracula x.

I'm not good at games anymore. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I've sucked at games for like a decade or something. A lot of the games on that list are there because of my lack of interest in seeing it through or just my laziness with setting up an emulator. I guess I would just get bored with how tedious it would seem.
Oh, and Dracula X is the Saturn version of Nocturne in the Moonlight (SotN)

> if you're shivering in your boots at the thought of having to replay these
> flash-in-the-pan games, you need to quit the goddamn army and come lift weights with
> me in my garage, eat caveman dinners, fuck my wife some (with me watching of course),
> and take some lessons in game playing from me and my brother.
>
> we will indoctrinate you on how to grow video game prowess pubic hair on your mons
> pubis, and your face. and you will enjoy fall sunsets, gentle breezes replete with
> beach salinity, soaring self-confidence, a new job building sles 11 boxes, and the
> rewards of your own toil at our hands.
>
> pinky promise.

I am both scared and aroused by your proposal.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: dude... c'mon man... new [Re: jopezu]
#235707 - 10/06/10 05:28 AM

> fucking smw? that's like 3 or 4 sit down sessions of 2 hours. or less if you're good.

I think it took me a couple of weeks to make it through the screen named "Tubular". That one is a real bitch!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#235712 - 10/06/10 06:13 AM

>
> torment and deus ex are still at the top of my rpg lists.
> the writing and story in both of these games has yet to be topped.

I never played Torment, but I totally agree about Deus Ex. It's one of the greatest games ever made, in my honest opinion. I remember reading somewhere that there's things you can do that the designers didn't intend. For instance, supposedly, you can climb walls by standing on the proximity charges. This allows you to explore and go places that you shouldn't have access to. I loved the PC version. I picked up the PS2 version, but never got around to playing it. I can't imagine it's very good.

Another favorite of mine is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the original Playstation, especially the whole secret second upside-down castle thing. Genius.

I also really liked Manhunt on the PS2. The tension you feel when playing it alone at night in the dark is insane. I think I got all the way to the last boss, but I don't think I ever actually finished it. I can't remember.

ninjakid
MAME PUNK
Reged: 10/28/05
Loc: an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#235721 - 10/06/10 06:45 AM

That's easy the first bunch of the Ultima series and my personal favorites of all time ZORK I,II,III

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Send PM

X-com (nt) new [Re: jopezu]
#235742 - 10/06/10 01:43 PM

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

. new [Re: jopezu]
#235757 - 10/06/10 04:40 PM

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#235758 - 10/06/10 05:05 PM

> shadow-man, n64
>
>
> what i loved; atmosphere, the swamp levels, genuinely spooky story and gameplay, boss
> fights, items and rpg-like progression.
>
>
> what i fear; the in-game map is just a rough indicator, and the levels, iirc, are
> depressingly LARGE, and complex.

Don't forget the severe re-use of certain textures making navigation a complete nightmare (every hallway looked the same as the one before). The heavily compressed sound always bothered me too, though I'll give them points for cramming so much *good* voicework in there.

True that there was nothing like it back then, and I can't remember playing anything since with that same level of oppressive spookiness.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Twister new [Re: jopezu]
#235759 - 10/06/10 05:10 PM

Bad knees though so it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Whoa! new [Re: jopezu]
#235760 - 10/06/10 05:20 PM

I had forgotten how scary-weird those "pigmen" were. Scared the shit out of me the first time they appeared.

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Seattle area
Send PM

Re: Legend of Zelda new [Re: aavada]
#235762 - 10/06/10 05:23 PM

I just bought the GBA port and am playing through it on my DS ($40 for a _used_ remake of a 25 year old game!?!? I think I paid $30 for a _new_ NES gold cart back in the day *sigh*).

I think it's worth playing, but a friend of mine that loves gaming in general just doesn't get the whole Zelda thing. To each his own.

I keep bouncing back and forth between Legend Of Zelda and A Link To The Past. If you try Zelda and like it, you _have_ to try out A Link To The Past.

H@P

Edited by H@P (10/06/10 05:27 PM)

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

Not even Naked Twister? (nt) new [Re: Andrew]
#235767 - 10/06/10 06:12 PM

Not even Naked Twister? (nt)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

especially not nekkid twister <nt> ;-) new [Re: Mojo2000]
#235771 - 10/06/10 06:48 PM

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: what game you would like to replay through, but can't bring yourself to do so... new [Re: krick]
#235774 - 10/06/10 07:08 PM

> >
> > torment and deus ex are still at the top of my rpg lists.
> > the writing and story in both of these games has yet to be topped.
>
> I never played Torment, but I totally agree about Deus Ex. It's one of the greatest
> games ever made, in my honest opinion. I remember reading somewhere that there's
> things you can do that the designers didn't intend. For instance, supposedly, you can
> climb walls by standing on the proximity charges. This allows you to explore and go
> places that you shouldn't have access to. I loved the PC version. I picked up the PS2
> version, but never got around to playing it. I can't imagine it's very good.
>
> Another favorite of mine is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the original
> Playstation, especially the whole secret second upside-down castle thing. Genius.
>
> I also really liked Manhunt on the PS2. The tension you feel when playing it alone at
> night in the dark is insane. I think I got all the way to the last boss, but I don't
> think I ever actually finished it. I can't remember.

Yeah with lines like
"God was a dream of good government."
"You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands."
Gosh! Deep!

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: X-com (nt) new [Re: Darth Mario]
#235775 - 10/06/10 07:12 PM

Oh yeah, I keep meaning to have another go at the 3rd one - X-Com Apocalyse

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2832