MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when...
#239280 - 11/18/10 01:51 PM

...When you can advertise your game saying that it's "DRM free".

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: Pi]
#239282 - 11/18/10 03:30 PM

> ...When you can advertise your game saying that it's "DRM free".

Especially if it's not true.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#239340 - 11/19/10 08:11 AM

That's EA. EA is evil. EA must stay off my PC. Not even going to pirate EA.

They were also making a big deal about The Sims "now" being available on "console." I'm pretty sure previous versions were on consoles.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#239342 - 11/19/10 08:25 AM

EA can eat my ass.

Sims3 blue-screens my roommates Dell laptop every time, but not consistently. It's totally random. Sometimes, it's right after loading, other times, she plays for an hour before it goes tits-up.

She has one of the better DirectX 10 capable Intel embedded graphics chipsets...
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD
...it uses shared memory, but she also has 4GB of memory in her computer, so it should be ok.

I know it's not uber-powerful by any stretch of the imagination, but it shouldn't blue-screen. Hell, she runs World of Warcraft and Age of Empires III on it and they never crash.

At worst, she should just have to turn down some of the eye-candy. EA has lots of people reporting issues on the forums and the official response is "we don't support that chipset". They don't seem interested in even trying to figure out what the problem might be.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: krick]
#239344 - 11/19/10 08:49 AM

> EA can eat my ass.
>
> Sims3 blue-screens my roommates Dell laptop every time, but not consistently. It's
> totally random. Sometimes, it's right after loading, other times, she plays for an
> hour before it goes tits-up.
>
> She has one of the better DirectX 10 capable Intel embedded graphics chipsets...
> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD
> ...it uses shared memory, but she also has 4GB of memory in her computer, so it
> should be ok.
>
> I know it's not uber-powerful by any stretch of the imagination, but it shouldn't
> blue-screen. Hell, she runs World of Warcraft and Age of Empires III on it and they
> never crash.
>
> At worst, she should just have to turn down some of the eye-candy. EA has lots of
> people reporting issues on the forums and the official response is "we don't support
> that chipset". They don't seem interested in even trying to figure out what the
> problem might be.

Not to defend EA, but a bluescreen is typically a driver problem. Now maybe they're doing something really horrific with D3D that sends certain drivers over the edge, but the fact is that a well written driver ought to be able to deal with it without taking the entire system down.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#239351 - 11/19/10 11:42 AM

> That's EA. EA is evil. EA must stay off my PC. Not even going to pirate EA.

There was a time when EA was kinda cool...

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#239356 - 11/19/10 02:40 PM

> > That's EA. EA is evil. EA must stay off my PC. Not even going to pirate EA.
>
> There was a time when EA was kinda cool...

And they did recently kill off the Trademark troll Tim Langdell.
Obviously for their own benefit but it cleared a path for a lot of smaller business that had been shaken down.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#239365 - 11/19/10 03:52 PM

First one: A game for the Genesis, not the PC.

Second one: Yes, that was pre-evil -- note the old logo. They changed about the time the logo did, 1999.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

#239370 - 11/19/10 05:02 PM

> First one: A game for the Genesis, not the PC.
>
> Second one: Yes, that was pre-evil -- note the old logo. They changed about the time
> the logo did, 1999.

Ok. But i like Mirror's Edge. It's unique.

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re; Mirror's Edge. new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#239414 - 11/20/10 01:30 PM

I bought my copy of Mirror's Edge from Direct2Drive, on sale last Christmas I think. I haven't completed the training courses, but I do like it and plan to continue playing it (once I get off the crack that is Rhythm Zone). Does this packaging of the game contain any guff?

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: Re; Mirror's Edge. new [Re: Mojo2000]
#239415 - 11/20/10 01:39 PM

> I bought my copy of Mirror's Edge from Direct2Drive, on sale last Christmas I think.
> I haven't completed the training courses, but I do like it and plan to continue
> playing it (once I get off the crack that is Rhythm Zone). Does this packaging of the
> game contain any guff?

I have the D2D version.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#239421 - 11/20/10 02:38 PM

> That's EA. EA is evil. EA must stay off my PC. Not even going to pirate EA.
>
> They were also making a big deal about The Sims "now" being available on "console."
> I'm pretty sure previous versions were on consoles.

Here's a reminder of a simpler time:

Actually, thinking about it, EA used pin wheel decoders even back then - I remember getting all 'Blue Peter' and photocopying the wheels then Pritt Sticking them to cereal boxes then using split pins to hold them together!
Almost more fun than the games themselves!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: Fever]
#239427 - 11/20/10 07:01 PM

> I remember getting all 'Blue Peter'

Is that anything like 'Blue Balls'?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: DMala]
#239430 - 11/20/10 08:10 PM

> > EA can eat my ass.
> >
> > Sims3 blue-screens my roommates Dell laptop every time, but not consistently. It's
> > totally random. Sometimes, it's right after loading, other times, she plays for an
> > hour before it goes tits-up.
> >
> > She has one of the better DirectX 10 capable Intel embedded graphics chipsets...
> > Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD
> > ...it uses shared memory, but she also has 4GB of memory in her computer, so it
> > should be ok.
> >
> > I know it's not uber-powerful by any stretch of the imagination, but it shouldn't
> > blue-screen. Hell, she runs World of Warcraft and Age of Empires III on it and they
> > never crash.
> >
> > At worst, she should just have to turn down some of the eye-candy. EA has lots of
> > people reporting issues on the forums and the official response is "we don't
> support
> > that chipset". They don't seem interested in even trying to figure out what the
> > problem might be.
>
> Not to defend EA, but a bluescreen is typically a driver problem. Now maybe they're
> doing something really horrific with D3D that sends certain drivers over the edge,
> but the fact is that a well written driver ought to be able to deal with it without
> taking the entire system down.

It could also mean the system is overheating. Friends with laptops and integrated graphics have had that problem in the past.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: Foxhack]
#239432 - 11/20/10 08:46 PM

>
> It could also mean the system is overheating. Friends with laptops and integrated
> graphics have had that problem in the past.

Yeah, I considered overheating as a possibility, but I'm sure that's not the case for two reasons...

1) No other graphically intensive games cause it to crash, even after many hours of playing

2) Sims 3 often crashes immediately upon entering the game, even right after booting the computer (it's still relatively cold).

Personally, I believe that the game is somehow exhausting the shared memory of the video card. I'm convinced that there's a coding problem somewhere in the game engine, but EA is unwilling to even acknowledge the problem. They'd rather write off anyone playing on a laptop with Intel graphics, even if it's a DX10 capable part.

CrapBoardSoftware
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: krick]
#239433 - 11/20/10 09:14 PM

> >
> > It could also mean the system is overheating. Friends with laptops and integrated
> > graphics have had that problem in the past.
>
> Yeah, I considered overheating as a possibility, but I'm sure that's not the case for
> two reasons...
>
> 1) No other graphically intensive games cause it to crash, even after many hours of
> playing
>
> 2) Sims 3 often crashes immediately upon entering the game, even right after booting
> the computer (it's still relatively cold).
>
>
> Personally, I believe that the game is somehow exhausting the shared memory of the
> video card. I'm convinced that there's a coding problem somewhere in the game engine,
> but EA is unwilling to even acknowledge the problem. They'd rather write off anyone
> playing on a laptop with Intel graphics, even if it's a DX10 capable part.

Does Sims use OpenAL, per chance?

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: You know we've reached to a dead end in gaming distribution when... new [Re: Fever]
#239518 - 11/22/10 08:52 PM

> Here's a reminder of a simpler time:

Marble Madness was on IIRC copy-protected floppies. IIRC.

I have the 5.25" originals and I think I was never able to make a copy.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#239519 - 11/22/10 08:53 PM

> > I remember getting all 'Blue Peter'
>
> Is that anything like 'Blue Balls'?

As long as it's not as 'Peter Balls'...

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#239523 - 11/22/10 10:29 PM

> > I remember getting all 'Blue Peter'
>
> Is that anything like 'Blue Balls'?

WTF? I definitely already put a reply here!
Did it disappear in the server upgrade?
IIRC I said something like:
Oh yeah, I guess it was a bit of a Britcentric ref, hopefully this 'splains it

Tracy Island!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2512