MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

cdsinfla
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/14/11
Send PM

Building my 1st MAME Cabinet -controller options
#251764 - 04/14/11 06:05 AM

I have decided to build my control panel first. When I have something I like, I'll build the cabinet to fit it.

My goal is to play the older games (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc) and not fighter games. With that in mind, What controller is best/simplest to install? From the Ultramarc site, I selected the Mag-Stik Plus and a U-Trak. Best I can guess, these require a Mini-Pac Opti that connects to the PC via USB. The Mini-Pac will also control all the game buttons. All with a single USB cable.

Is the Ultra Stik 360 preferred over the Mag-Stick? I noticed the Ultra Stik connects to USB without the Mini-Pac. And there is an optional USB connector for the U-Track. Would I only need an I-Pac for the buttons?

Thanks & cheers,
Chris

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Building my 1st MAME Cabinet -controller options new [Re: cdsinfla]
#251834 - 04/15/11 05:41 AM

>My goal is to play the older games (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc) and not fighter games.

Most of those older games were dedicated 4-way or 2-way joys. If you're sure that's all you'll play, consider a dedicated 4way. You can't play a 4-way game with an 8-way joystick (the eight-way confuses the game and makes it do weird things). Yes, the sticks you mention are programable to be 4 way, but purists will argue the feel is different, and a lot of people include at least one dedicated 4-way in addition to a set of 8-ways on their CP's for this reason. No need for two dedicated 4-ways, apparently there are no 4-way games that used two joys (except cocktails, and dual 2-ways like battlezone/vindicator type games).

I "compromised" on my cab and used omni-sticks, which have restrictor plates that rotate to convert to a "dedicated" 4 way... good enough for me, but it's still not the same feel as a true dedicated 4-way.

Food for thought.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Building my 1st MAME Cabinet -controller options new [Re: GatKong]
#251847 - 04/15/11 06:21 AM

> You can't play a 4-way game with an 8-way
> joystick (the eight-way confuses the game and makes it do weird things).

I'd say this isn't completely true. I play 4-way games all the time with the 8-way sticks in my HotRod. The trick is that you have to be very precise in your movements, to avoid hitting the diagonals. It's nowhere near as good as a dedicated 4-way, but it's certainly usable and you get a feel for it after a while.

On the other hand, you literally can't play an 8-way game on a 4-way stick.

cdsinfla
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/14/11
Send PM

Re: Building my 1st MAME Cabinet -controller options new [Re: DMala]
#251870 - 04/15/11 02:47 PM

Thanks for the input. After my post I found the email for Andy @ Ultimarc (nice guy). He answered my questions and I decided to go with the Mag-Stick Plus.

On the Ultimarc site it states "This is the only joystick in the world which can be switched over from 4 to 8 way from the top with no lever or other unsightly intrusion. Keeps the panel arcade-real but still gives the ability to play all 4 or 8 way games with the true feel of the correct mechanically-limited stick.
To switch: Pull out the stick against the spring pressure, continue pulling while rotating, until the mechanism engages, then turn anticlockwise for 8-way, or clockwise for 4-way. The stick clicks into position when turned 45 degrees. The mechanism actually rotates an internal restrictor plate and also rotates the microswitch actuator for a perfect 4-8 way transition."

So it sounds like this joystick is perfect.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2924