MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

tamalmalamarrado
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/10/07
Send PM

Why chdman is trying to connect to internet??
#254201 - 05/10/11 06:47 PM Attachment: chdman.png 76 KB (0 downloads)

Hi, i downloaded mame 0.142 from www.mamedev.org, and i notice that chdman.exe is trying to connect to internet, why?????????

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: tamalmalamarrado]
#254202 - 05/10/11 07:01 PM

Based on what I'm reading, it looks like a Windows Vista/Win 7 issue. When a firewall detects traffic I would think it would query the most recently activated program assuming it's that program causing the traffic. Here are some links that should describe your issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_Multicast_Name_Resolution

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/95027-ability-disable-llmnr.html

It's terrible how easily some accept as fact that MAME or it's tools secretly attempt to covertly compromise their respective systems.. there is no truth in it nor does it happen.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: tamalmalamarrado]
#254205 - 05/10/11 07:54 PM

Zonealarm...ROOOOFL

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

on on on on new [Re: Roman]
#254207 - 05/10/11 08:20 PM

> ROOOOFL

Rolling on on on on floor laughing

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: on on on on new [Re: Smitdogg]
#254216 - 05/10/11 09:25 PM

> > ROOOOFL
>
> Rolling on on on on floor laughing

Rolling on old Orc's oily floor laughing

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Tafoid]
#254250 - 05/11/11 05:49 AM

> It's terrible how easily some accept as fact that MAME or it's tools secretly attempt
> to covertly compromise their respective systems.. there is no truth in it nor does it
> happen.

That's because people keep using FBIMAME and RIAAMAME.

And HomelandSecurityMAME. That one comes with a free TSA grope!

MAMu_
Icon Master
Reged: 01/06/04
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Foxhack]
#254277 - 05/11/11 05:57 PM

> > It's terrible how easily some accept as fact that MAME or it's tools secretly
> attempt
> > to covertly compromise their respective systems.. there is no truth in it nor does
> it
> > happen.
>
> That's because people keep using FBIMAME and RIAAMAME.
>
> And HomelandSecurityMAME. That one comes with a free TSA grope!

I heard that obama recently caught oussama because he was attempting to update Area 51 CHD...

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

what he says? [nt] new [Re: MAMu_]
#254280 - 05/11/11 06:20 PM

i tried french to english dictionary with no luck...

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Roman]
#254295 - 05/11/11 08:34 PM

> Zonealarm...ROOOOFL

Exactly. Please replace that with a better firewall. In fact, a router firewall and Windows 7 firewall is good enough for most Windows users. If you must use a firewall like ZoneAlarm, consider switching to Comodo Firewall, Online Armor Firewall, Outpost Personal Firewall, Jetico Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus.

- Stiletto

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Stiletto]
#254297 - 05/11/11 08:56 PM

> > Zonealarm...ROOOOFL
>
> Exactly. Please replace that with a better firewall. In fact, a router firewall and
> Windows 7 firewall is good enough for most Windows users. If you must use a firewall
> like ZoneAlarm, consider switching to Comodo Firewall, Online Armor Firewall, Outpost
> Personal Firewall, Jetico Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus.
>
> - Stiletto

Well, as long as we're criticizing people's configs, may I suggest using something other than Microsoft Windows, to avoid needing firewalls and anti virus software altogether?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#254298 - 05/11/11 09:01 PM

I hate viruses, but I hate using Linux more. No offence, but I was raised with Windows and it's GUi, I don't ike any Linux distro.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Naoki]
#254309 - 05/12/11 01:41 AM

> I hate viruses, but I hate using Linux more. No offence, but I was raised with
> Windows and it's GUi, I don't ike any Linux distro.

No offense taken; I don't represent Linux and it doesn't bother me if you don't use it.

Linux is not the only non-Microsoft-Windows operating system. There are others, including Mac OS X, which I understand to be quite user friendly and also doesn't require anti virus and other protections. I will never buy a family member a Microsoft Windows system again, I've spent too much of my time re-installing it after the inevitable virus infection.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Naoki]
#254310 - 05/12/11 01:59 AM

> I hate viruses, but I hate using Linux more. No offence, but I was raised with
> Windows and it's GUi, I don't ike any Linux distro.

So what *nix distro gave you such a bad impression?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Master O]
#254312 - 05/12/11 02:07 AM

> > I hate viruses, but I hate using Linux more. No offence, but I was raised with
> > Windows and it's GUi, I don't ike any Linux distro.
>
> So what *nix distro gave you such a bad impression?

Well for what it's worth, I've been a Unix user for about 21 years and a Linux user for about 17, and even I can't understand how people use it as a desktop OS. I am a software developer and spend almost all of my time on a computer either visiting web sites (hello, mameworld.info!) or writing software with a command prompt and emacs.

Even with my expertise in using Linux I find doing 'advanced' things (like setting up printers and having them work consistently and correctly!) often difficult, and I stay within a fairly tightly constrained environment on my Linux machine almost all of the time. I have been using the same window manager (hello highly customized twm!) for about 20 years now and I use Linux because it works so well for what I do, mostly because what I do is so Unix-y to begin with.

But if I had to recommend a destop operating system to anyone, it certainly would not be Unix based. I think I'd suggest Mac OS X because of its superior internal architecture and especially security when compared with Microsoft Windows. I would have no problem with Windows if only it wasn't so ridiculously insecure. It does not strike me as a well architected system, although it certainly has huge support from every peripheral and software developer going.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#254321 - 05/12/11 03:28 AM

> Even with my expertise in using Linux I find doing 'advanced' things (like setting up
> printers and having them work consistently and correctly!) often difficult,

I'm not sure how exactly you're making everything go wrong, but in KDE on Fedora 14 it works like this: 1) plug in my USB LaserJet 1300. 2) select "Print" in applications. Everything just works.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#254322 - 05/12/11 03:38 AM

> I think I'd suggest Mac OS X because of its superior internal
> architecture and especially security when compared with Microsoft Windows. I would
> have no problem with Windows if only it wasn't so ridiculously insecure. It does not
> strike me as a well architected system, although it certainly has huge support from
> every peripheral and software developer going.

Most of us aren't running Windows 98 anymore. I've read that a Mac is actually less secure than Windows 7.

A couple of examples...

http://news.techworld.com/security/32018...hacker/?olo=rss

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple...on-leopard/4276

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#254323 - 05/12/11 04:04 AM

> > Even with my expertise in using Linux I find doing 'advanced' things (like setting
> up
> > printers and having them work consistently and correctly!) often difficult,
>
> I'm not sure how exactly you're making everything go wrong, but in KDE on Fedora 14
> it works like this: 1) plug in my USB LaserJet 1300. 2) select "Print" in
> applications. Everything just works.

And if your printer isn't supported out-of-the box by CUPS?

Anyway I just chose that as an example. You can pick on my particular example if you want, but I think my general point still holds.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: redk9258]
#254324 - 05/12/11 04:13 AM

> > I think I'd suggest Mac OS X because of its superior internal
> > architecture and especially security when compared with Microsoft Windows. I would
> > have no problem with Windows if only it wasn't so ridiculously insecure. It does
> not
> > strike me as a well architected system, although it certainly has huge support from
> > every peripheral and software developer going.
>
> Most of us aren't running Windows 98 anymore. I've read that a Mac is actually less
> secure than Windows 7.
>
> A couple of examples...
>
> http://news.techworld.com/security/32018...hacker/?olo=rss

That just describes a case where Apple hasn't employed improvements to an algorithm meant to help protect against some kinds of exploits. But it doesn't say one way or another whether or not Mac OS X is less secure than Windows 7, since security is more than one particular feature or lack thereof.

> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple...on-leopard/4276

That is an article about some security bugs that Apple fixed.

Can you point to any articles about actual viruses or serious exploits that resulted from any of what you've linked to so far?

To be honest, I would not be surprised if there are some exploits for some of them; however, I did do a search for Mac OS X security flaws, and viruses, and all I found was a bunch of descriptions of trojan horse programs that require the user to willingly infect their own computer, and no system in the world is immune to that sort of thing nor ever could be.

I am not trying to claim that Mac OS X is completely secure (nothing ever is) or that it doesn't have security flaws; but I have this suspicion that if I had bought my mom a Mac instead of a PC I wouldn't have had to fly to her house periodically and rebuild her computer like I've had to do a few times over the years ...

Edited by Bryan Ischo (05/12/11 04:14 AM)

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#254327 - 05/12/11 04:36 AM

> > > I think I'd suggest Mac OS X because of its superior internal
> > > architecture and especially security when compared with Microsoft Windows. I
> would
> > > have no problem with Windows if only it wasn't so ridiculously insecure. It does
> > not
> > > strike me as a well architected system, although it certainly has huge support
> from
> > > every peripheral and software developer going.
> >
> > Most of us aren't running Windows 98 anymore. I've read that a Mac is actually less
> > secure than Windows 7.
> >
> > A couple of examples...
> >
> >
> http://news.techworld.com/security/32018...hacker/?olo=rss
>
> That just describes a case where Apple hasn't employed improvements to an algorithm
> meant to help protect against some kinds of exploits. But it doesn't say one way or
> another whether or not Mac OS X is less secure than Windows 7, since security is more
> than one particular feature or lack thereof.
>
> >
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple...on-leopard/4276
>
> That is an article about some security bugs that Apple fixed.
>
> Can you point to any articles about actual viruses or serious exploits that resulted
> from any of what you've linked to so far?
>
> To be honest, I would not be surprised if there are some exploits for some of them;
> however, I did do a search for Mac OS X security flaws, and viruses, and all I found
> was a bunch of descriptions of trojan horse programs that require the user to
> willingly infect their own computer, and no system in the world is immune to that
> sort of thing nor ever could be.
>
> I am not trying to claim that Mac OS X is completely secure (nothing ever is) or that
> it doesn't have security flaws; but I have this suspicion that if I had bought my mom
> a Mac instead of a PC I wouldn't have had to fly to her house periodically and
> rebuild her computer like I've had to do a few times over the years ...

You are probably right. I think if Windows people didn't just unknowingly click stuff, they would be secure too. Windows 7 seems very secure if you don't turn off UAC. When a non system program tries to modify system files / settings, UAC will ask for you to approve it. Unfortunately, I think most people do it just to get rid of the prompt.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#254342 - 05/12/11 06:41 AM

> but I have this suspicion that if I had bought my mom
> a Mac instead of a PC I wouldn't have had to fly to her house periodically and
> rebuild her computer like I've had to do a few times over the years ...

Some very intelligent people descend from dull kin. Those situations I deem 'buy the warranty, so some other dumb fuck can fix your dumbfuckness'.

Of course, in my case, I generally fix my own dumbfuckness. But I have the...insight...to at least do a google search.

Anyways, I've heard that if the figures were reversed, Mac would be just as vulnerable, simply because more people would be interested in and devoted to getting at 'em.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: mogli]
#254345 - 05/12/11 07:14 AM

> Anyways, I've heard that if the figures were reversed, Mac would be just as
> vulnerable, simply because more people would be interested in and devoted to getting
> at 'em.

I know how operating systems work, and I don't believe that.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: redk9258]
#254346 - 05/12/11 07:19 AM

> You are probably right. I think if Windows people didn't just unknowingly click
> stuff, they would be secure too. Windows 7 seems very secure if you don't turn off
> UAC. When a non system program tries to modify system files / settings, UAC will ask
> for you to approve it. Unfortunately, I think most people do it just to get rid of
> the prompt.

Well my bad experiences have all been with Windows XP, maybe Windows 7 is much better. My mom still has Windows XP since that's what I built her computer with years ago and every time she has a problem I just rebuld it. It's been I think 3 times in 8 years now.

My dad has Windows 7 now and I do think that he has had fewer problems than he used to have with XP. If there was an XP virus, he would get it. I don't know how he used his computer but every time I'd go to visit him his system would have so many viruses that it would be almost unusable.

Of course - if Windows 7 is secure, then why do people still buy anti-virus programs for it?

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#254348 - 05/12/11 08:35 AM

>may I suggest using something
> other than Microsoft Windows, to avoid needing firewalls and anti virus software
> altogether?

>I am not trying to claim that Mac OS X is completely secure (nothing ever is)

Hi Bryan, you've actually come within a hair's breadth of saying that Mac OS X is completely secure: if you use Mac OS X (or anything other than Windows) you can "avoid needing firewalls and anti virus software altogether". Are you serious ?

Being smug, ignoring proper security, and saying "my OS is secure" will land a person in an embarrassing world of hurt sooner or later. As market share for OS X grows, so will the threats, malware, viruses, hacks, and attacks. Sooner or later, it will become "worth their while" for those who pursue such dark avenues.

If you are running *any* OS without firewall or proper anti-virus / anti-malware protection, then I hope you aren't connecting to the net.

Moose

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Moose]
#254349 - 05/12/11 08:51 AM

> Being smug, ignoring proper security, and saying "my OS is secure" will land a person
> in an embarrassing world of hurt sooner or later. As market share for OS X grows, so
> will the threats, malware, viruses, hacks, and attacks. Sooner or later, it will
> become "worth their while" for those who pursue such dark avenues.
>
> If you are running *any* OS without firewall or proper anti-virus / anti-malware
> protection, then I hope you aren't connecting to the net.

It has nothing to do with smugness.

I have run Linux for about 17 years now and have *never* run any kind of anti-virus or anti-malware software on it. I have had my own server in a data center for about 10 years now and the most I've ever done for security is to ensure that only the services I need running are running, and there was also a time when I closely read security announcements; but I don't even bother with that any more since my server's functionality has been reduced over the years until now it doesn't run anything other than a web server and SSH. Also the myriad standard Unix services have become *much* more secure over the past 10 years or so; there used to be a time when, e.g., bind and apache were rife with holes; not so much anymore.

I only ever had any kind of problem on my Linux server twice: once was a known exploit in PHP that allowed an attacker to corrupt some of my web pages and to write some files into a part of the web server document directory; but its effect was isolated because it could not elevate to any significant permissions level. I fixed that relatively easily with no significant downtime.

Additionally, I once freshly installed a new server and stupidly chose a very easy password for the SQL service, thinking that nobody from the outside would be able to get to it anyway; but I hadn't realized that a misconfiguration of my SSH server allowed anyone to tunnel ports to any of my internal services and so someone was able to actually log into the SQL server and once again munge some stuff around and write some files. But once again, they were stopped short of any 'real' damage because of the isolation of permissions to the SQL database, so although that service could be corrupted, nothing else could. Also I had backups in both this case and the previous case so recovery was fairly easy.

In terms of my desktop usage of Linux, I have never had any kind of trojan, worm, or virus on my system, after 17 years.

Which is once again not to say that it's impossible on Linux to have a virus, just that it is so rare that it's not even worth worrying about in my experience.

And Linux must already be 'worth the while' of hackers; why wouldn't they want to acquire as many zombie spammer boxes as they could? If Linux has easy exploits I am sure they would be exploited (and I am sure have, in some limited cases).

With regards to Mac OS X, I know that most of the security aspects of Linux that make it as secure as it is are shared with Mac OS X since they come from the same operating system families. This is one reason that I conclude that Mac OS X is secure. The other is that even after searching I haven't found any reports of significant Mac security exploits. Contrast that with Windows, at least of the XP vintage, where the only searching I have to do is call up my mom or dad and ask them how many viruses they currently have on their computers.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#254358 - 05/12/11 01:53 PM

As Macs get more popular, they will start to be targeted too...

http://www.intego.com/news/mac-defender-fake-antivirus-program-targets-mac-users.asp

http://www.thegeeksclub.com/crimekit-for-mac-os-x-launched

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#254359 - 05/12/11 02:09 PM

> In terms of my desktop usage of Linux, I have never had any kind of trojan, worm, or
> virus on my system, after 17 years.

And? Having used Windows in many flavours since 1996 (close to 15 years now), I have never had any kind of trojan or virus on any of my systems. The only one time I ended up with malware, the W32.Blaster worm, was when I used a key generator (aha!) for some stupid, non-free, crippled trial program* which I can't remember, back in 2001. Since that was caused by my own stupidity at the time, I accept my defeat. Regardless of whether anyone uses Windows, Linux, Mac OS X or an amber screen dumb terminal from 1987, there will be malware programs out there for them. I think the last time I used a virus scanner or similar programs was in around 2004.

* All the more reason to switch to open source. No fscking crippleware or half-assed trial programs by big corporations thinking they're actually doing you a favour.

The main reason people end up with malware is usually by their own stupidity, or inexperience with computers and the lack of knowledge about malicious software until its too late. Even an eight year old using a default Windows install, with file extensions hidden, can tell the difference between the apparent JPEG images 'filename' and 'filename.jpg'. The former, will be called a JPEG Image by the system and show a preview of itself on the left, if it is a true JPEG image. The latter, will not show a preview of itself, and will be called an "Application", and may most likely have the wrong icon unless the malware programmers added the JPEG Image icon to their program. Additionally, attempting to open up an EXE file renamed to .JPG will open up a paint program, which will fail at loading the 'corrupt' image.

Again, it's the person's own inexperience or stupidity if they choose to immediately double click every file they download.

Edit: To add to that, my main PC is still using the same version of Windows XP it came with back in 2005. Never been reinstalled once. Using this OS just means that I can not install the latest and greatest things, simply because most MS programs/libraries themselves, required by other programs, are detecting a Windows version <6 and aborting their installation (hello new DirectX updates, Windows Live Messenger, Internet Explorer 9!). I vowed to never install another operating system on this PC, as a PC should be able to run its own pre-installed operating system throughout its perceived lifetime, since the whole system will most likely be obsolete by the time the OS needs updating. The only exception to this rule I ever used, was when 486 and upgrading Pentium 1 class PCs to Windows 98 SE, as Windows 95 simply lacks too much in the hardware and driver department (note that 98SE is still part of the Windows 4.x group though; 95, 98, 98SE and ME, not a completely different version like NT3.51>NT4.0>2000/XP(5.x)>Vista(6)>Win7).

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: MAMu_]
#254363 - 05/12/11 02:52 PM

> I heard that obama recently caught oussama because he was attempting to update Area
> 51 CHD...

Nope, he was caught using the K__ll_r_ client in a very old, hacked version of MAME32. He was subsequently given the death penalty via firing squad, following his use of the closed source online gaming client.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Master O]
#254369 - 05/12/11 05:03 PM

PCos was the first disc I threw and broke after killing my harddisk. I knmow it was the OS, not anything else. Ubuntu was ok, but I don't like it at all really.

I admit that I'm being biased really, but with the vast majority using KDE or Gnome, I know I'm not going to like them at all, since I don't like either GUIs.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#254380 - 05/12/11 07:18 PM

> > Anyways, I've heard that if the figures were reversed, Mac would be just as
> > vulnerable, simply because more people would be interested in and devoted to
> getting
> > at 'em.
>
> I know how operating systems work, and I don't believe that.

I know how hackers work, and I don't believe this.

- Stiletto

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#254382 - 05/12/11 07:22 PM

> > In terms of my desktop usage of Linux, I have never had any kind of trojan, worm,
> or
> > virus on my system, after 17 years.
>
> And? Having used Windows in many flavours since 1996 (close to 15 years now), I have
> never had any kind of trojan or virus on any of my systems. The only one time I ended
> up with malware, the W32.Blaster worm, was when I used a key generator (aha!) for
> some stupid, non-free, crippled trial program* which I can't remember, back in 2001.
> Since that was caused by my own stupidity at the time, I accept my defeat. Regardless
> of whether anyone uses Windows, Linux, Mac OS X or an amber screen dumb terminal from
> 1987, there will be malware programs out there for them. I think the last time I used
> a virus scanner or similar programs was in around 2004.
>
> * All the more reason to switch to open source. No fscking crippleware or half-assed
> trial programs by big corporations thinking they're actually doing you a favour.

I got a system crippling virus on Windows XP a few years ago on my laptop. I didn't do anything other than visit a web page - it was the result of a search for some home improvement thing or other. The moment I hit that page (I was stupidly using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox at the time for reasons I can't remember exactly) my system immediately went south. As soon as I noticed something weird going on - I think a window popped up, or my hard disk started going crazy, or something tipped me off within seconds - I hit the power button. But it was too late; my system had been infected so hard that I could not recover it and had to re-install. My system was relatively up-to-date with Microsoft security updates, and yet just *visiting* a single web page took my system down in about 5 seconds. There were a few things I could have done to be more secure:

1. I could have not been running Internet Explorer, which I usually don't but for some reason was that day.

2. I could have been running an anti-virus program, although I don't know if it would have stopped this particular exploit. I don't run anti-virus because I find the constant headaches of maintenance of the anti-virus software in addition to the inevitable slowdown of the computer to be unacceptable. Not to mention the fact that unless you pay for constant updates, anti-virus programs are pretty much pointless because unless you are always staying with the latest updates you will still be vulnerable to viruses that came about after your latest update. So I don't even play that game.

My own evidence is just anecdotal, and the only evidence offered in opposition in this thread has also been anecdotal (except for a few links to sites that I claim don't even support any evidence that Mac OS X is insecure). But I've been around the computer industry for a long time and while all systems have improved in security over the years, it is Windows that started out by far the least secure and had the furthest to go to meet the level of security provided by other operating systems; and I don't think that even now it has gone as far as the others, which themselves have also been improving over the years. That's just my opinion; and of course, you can disagree, which is fine with me.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#254383 - 05/12/11 07:27 PM

I agree.. My home computees all used windows and like you stated once
I was smart enough to figure out that you have to be careful and pay
attention to what your doing I never used a antivirus again. I used
a router fire wall and that was it.

again I don't care for mac oz. it's too locked down for me. I like
tweakin and playing with my programs ans mac doesn't allow much of it
without a bunch of mods etc. my son uses a apple laptop and as he has
gotten better at computing he is slowly coming over to the darkside(windows)

also agree let any other os hit the amount of windows users out there
and then you will see they probably have as many exploits as win7

Only here to annoy...

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#254392 - 05/12/11 08:33 PM

> Of course - if Windows 7 is secure, then why do people still buy anti-virus programs
> for it?

Because only a fool would believe Microsoft's (or any other company's) marketing hype. Anyways, the only way to have a 100% secure OS is to not build it.

Kevin Eshbach

keshbach1
Send PM

#254393 - 05/12/11 08:35 PM

> > > Even with my expertise in using Linux I find doing 'advanced' things (like
> setting
> > up
> > > printers and having them work consistently and correctly!) often difficult,
> >
> > I'm not sure how exactly you're making everything go wrong, but in KDE on Fedora 14
> > it works like this: 1) plug in my USB LaserJet 1300. 2) select "Print" in
> > applications. Everything just works.
>
> And if your printer isn't supported out-of-the box by CUPS?

Blame Lev, I mean Tim Eckel, I mean .

Kevin Eshbach

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#254400 - 05/13/11 12:25 AM

> (I was stupidly using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox at the time for reasons I can't remember exactly)

There's your problem. No comment necessary! The only thing IE is needed for is to access the Firefox website on a brand new Windows install!

Moose
Send PM

#254403 - 05/13/11 01:27 AM

> > Being smug, ignoring proper security, and saying "my OS is secure" will land a
> person
> > in an embarrassing world of hurt sooner or later. As market share for OS X grows,
> so
> > will the threats, malware, viruses, hacks, and attacks. Sooner or later, it will
> > become "worth their while" for those who pursue such dark avenues.
> >
> > If you are running *any* OS without firewall or proper anti-virus / anti-malware
> > protection, then I hope you aren't connecting to the net.
>
> It has nothing to do with smugness.
>
> I have run Linux for about 17 years now and have *never* run any kind of anti-virus
> or anti-malware software on it.

Do you use a Firewall ?

Clearly we aren't talking about you here Bryan.

It all depends on how people use their computers, what they click on, what they download and run, where they get it, what checks they do before they run it, whether they "borrow" software of others, and so on.

Like you, I'm very careful with my machines. Nothing gets near my machines without careful checking.

But, we aren't talking about "safe" users like us here. For starters, you were talking about your parents. To quote what you said earlier: "If there was an XP virus, he would get it. I don't know how he used his computer but every time I'd go to visit him his system would have so many viruses that it would be almost unusable."

So, clearly he is a "high risk" user. If he moves to Linux or OS X, he is still going to be a "high risk" user.

Yes, he will be safer on Linux or OS X. But he wont be bullet proof.

I stand by everything I said: Being smug, ignoring proper security, and saying "my OS is secure" will land a person in an embarrassing world of hurt sooner or later.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#254404 - 05/13/11 02:20 AM

> The only thing IE is needed for is to
> access the Firefox website on a brand new Windows install!

And online banking in Brazil.

The security plugins they make you install down here are really obnoxious, nearly impossible to disable or remove, just like a nasty virus. If you attempt to uninstall or delete them they copy themselves right back in from who knows where. And there's a service running all the time that you can't disable, it's like the bank owns your PC now. For this reason I only do online banking in a virtual machine. I can't have their crap running 24/7 on my PC.

If you reinstall Windows, change NIC or move to a virtual machine, you have to call the bank and register your PC with the bank before you can access your account. If you sandbox the browser it doesn't work!

The security plugin of another bank we use does not support Firefox 4 yet so my wife's PC has to stay with Firefox 3, until when nobody knows. It's not like they announce "now compatible with Firefox 4" on their front page. At least the Firefox plugin for that particular bank is less intrusive than the IE plugin.

S

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#254407 - 05/13/11 02:54 AM

> Do you use a Firewall ?

Not on my home systems; being behind a router and with a locally assigned (via DHCP), non-internet-addressable IP address, which 99.9% of home users have, makes firewalls unnecessary, unless you're worried about attacks from within; but I don't worry about that.

Also not on my server, which is sitting up there on the internet at large without any firewalling whatsoever. But like I said, it has exactly two ports open: 22 and 80.

I hear you about end users with little clue about security being the major problem regardless of operating system.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Sune]
#254408 - 05/13/11 02:56 AM

That sounds terrible. Do you have credit unions in Brazil? They tend to be less draconian here in the USA ...

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#254419 - 05/13/11 04:00 AM

> That sounds terrible.

It is! But my wife doesn't care as long as it works. So I do my best to make it work. lol

> Do you have credit unions in Brazil? They tend to be less
> draconian here in the USA ...

We do but we need to use that particular bank because of our business, for practical reasons.

For example, at the end of the business day we need to be able to make a deposit. As it is now one of us or one of our employees can walk right across the street from our store, into the bank and stick an envelope with money into an ATM. This is extremely convenient.

The 'cooperativos' don't have ATMs, and if they did, someone would have to drive half way across the city every day during peak rush hour to deposit the money. No thanks!

Due to our "profit margin" (lol, I love using these kind of words) we cannot have someone pick up the money and deposit it for us. And we cannot keep a safe in the store, it's too dangerous. This is Brazil, mano!

S

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Stiletto]
#254432 - 05/13/11 08:39 AM

> > Zonealarm...ROOOOFL
>
> Exactly. Please replace that with a better firewall. In fact, a router firewall and
> Windows 7 firewall is good enough for most Windows users. If you must use a firewall
> like ZoneAlarm, consider switching to Comodo Firewall, Online Armor Firewall, Outpost
> Personal Firewall, Jetico Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus.
>
> - Stiletto

My favorite one always has been Kerio Sunbelt Personal Firewall. But now that I turned to Windows 7 x64 OS I can't, because it barely has support for Vista. Do any of them ask permission for every single launching application as this one did. I haven't tried any other yet, but I recall in most of them you grant permission to an application and they do whatever they want without asking later on. This one also asked when modifications occurred (say you upgraded a program, MD5 changes and asks again).

Do you know if any of them do that?

@Bryan Ischo: Your recommendation is pointless as Mac OS doesn't work on PCs but overpriced custom PCs. Now I'm having small detail problems building myself a "Hackintosh" for research purposes as my clients are starting to use Macs too. However not everyone has the knowledge to do so. Did you just suggest PC users to move to Mac OS like in "you have a working useful car but I suggest you ought to have a new overpriced one"? Or to Linux as if everyone run their own servers.

AFAIK, target for non developers here is gaming. Mac OS is improving but neither Mac OS or any Linux distro does what Windows can.

Moose
Send PM

#254436 - 05/13/11 01:20 PM

> Due to our "profit margin" (lol, I love using these kind of words) we cannot have
> someone pick up the money and deposit it for us. And we cannot keep a safe in the
> store, it's too dangerous. This is Brazil, mano!

WOW, sure sounds exciting Sune !!

Sounds like the "wild west" compared to where I live (rural Australia). Then again, the "wild west" sure does have its attractions.

Where I live you cannot even fart without filling out forms in triplicate and getting stamps of approval from a dozen government departments. The rediculous and every growing list of rules and regulations are strangling me.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains !" sure applies to a lot of Australia now.

I dream of buying my own island and telling the morons who spend their lives making more and more rules and regulations to f^&k off !!

EDIT: I actually put an offer in on my own island about 3 years ago. Didn't work out, but stay tuned.

Edited by Moose (05/13/11 01:58 PM)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#254448 - 05/13/11 05:55 PM Attachment: Wild West.jpg 221 KB (0 downloads)

> WOW, sure sounds exciting Sune !!

Heh, I don't particularly enjoy walking across the street carrying money. At least there is a small police 'base' nearby.

These days someone is paying with fake R$ bills over there, the other day the parking garage attendant at the market received a fake 100 Reais note (~60 USD) and the bank had called us because we had deposited two fake 20R$ bills. Now we have to check each note. And we don't take credit cards in our store (I get to say "profit margin" again lol).

> Sounds like the "wild west" compared to where I live (rural Australia). Then again,
> the "wild west" sure does have its attractions.

For sure.

> Where I live you cannot even fart without filling out forms in triplicate and getting
> stamps of approval from a dozen government departments. The rediculous and every
> growing list of rules and regulations are strangling me.
>
> "Man is born free but is everywhere in chains !" sure applies to a lot of Australia
> now.
>
> I dream of buying my own island and telling the morons who spend their lives making
> more and more rules and regulations to f^&k off !!
>
> EDIT: I actually put an offer in on my own island about 3 years ago. Didn't work out,
> but stay tuned.

We did that! Except it's not an island - we bought ~2000m land in a small town not far from the city, a half hour drive. There's nothing out there, dirt roads, cows, cell phone barely works. But there's some activity and construction spread around in the area, apparently we made a really good deal because they are telling us that it's worth 50% more than we paid for it. It's our private wild west.

Don't mention filling out forms...it turned out that the previous owner had not registered the land (don't get me started), even though the zone is now labeled as urban. We had to track down the original owner, from when it was farmland, who parted out his land to sell and get his signature on some stupid form from the prefecture. We've been through paper hell with this but it's all done now and we have started cleaning it up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#254451 - 05/13/11 06:27 PM

> Sounds like the "wild west" compared to where I live (rural Australia). Then again,
> the "wild west" sure does have its attractions.
>
> Where I live you cannot even fart without filling out forms in triplicate and getting
> stamps of approval from a dozen government departments. The rediculous and every
> growing list of rules and regulations are strangling me.
>
> "Man is born free but is everywhere in chains !" sure applies to a lot of Australia
> now.

Well at least for all of your trouble you get to live in Australia. I travelled there for 3 weeks in 2009, driving Brisbane -> Noosa -> Port Macquarie -> Sydney -> Blue Mtns -> some crummy place in the outback -> Melbourne -> Adelaide. Had lived in New Zealand for two years prior to that and decided that I had probably made the wrong decision and should have gone to Australia instead. What a truly awesome place. Much more beautiful than I was expecting. I was expecting a land dry as a bone and flat as a table top from coast to coast, Australia is amazingly green and lovely and mountain-y over surprisingly large swaths.

There is something good that comes from all of the over-zealous government interference, and that is that the rule of law is respected in countries with social systems like that. I also lived in China in 2001 and that is a place (or at least was back then) with a much less strong rule of law, at least in alot of areas. People were exploited very frequently and without much consequence there. In countries like Australia, New Zealand, and - yes - even America (especially America?) - the strength of law and the fact that people abide by it cuts out alot of the wasted energy that goes into things like, what Sune is talking about, all of the petty crime and graft and general lawlessness.

keshbach1
Send PM

#254456 - 05/13/11 07:53 PM

> Heh, I don't particularly enjoy walking across the street carrying money. At least
> there is a small police 'base' nearby.
>
> These days someone is paying with fake R$ bills over there, the other day the parking
> garage attendant at the market received a fake 100 Reais note (~60 USD) and the bank
> had called us because we had deposited two fake 20R$ bills. Now we have to check each
> note. And we don't take credit cards in our store (I get to say "profit margin" again
> lol).

Here in the US cashiers tend to use a special pen and verify that $20's and above are legit. I have seen this practice on the rise in the last +10 years though this is not as invasive as having to show a rent-a-cop your store receipt when leaving a CompUSA or Best Buy.

> We did that! Except it's not an island - we bought ~2000m land in a small town not
> far from the city, a half hour drive. There's nothing out there, dirt roads, cows,
> cell phone barely works. But there's some activity and construction spread around in
> the area, apparently we made a really good deal because they are telling us that it's
> worth 50% more than we paid for it. It's our private wild west.
>
> Don't mention filling out forms...it turned out that the previous owner had not
> registered the land (don't get me started), even though the zone is now labeled as
> urban. We had to track down the original owner, from when it was farmland, who parted
> out his land to sell and get his signature on some stupid form from the prefecture.
> We've been through paper hell with this but it's all done now and we have started
> cleaning it up.

How soon before the building is erected and the cabs get moved in?

Kevin Eshbach

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: keshbach1]
#254458 - 05/13/11 08:02 PM

> > Now we have to check each note.
>
> Here in the US cashiers tend to use a special pen and verify that $20's and above are
> legit. I have seen this practice on the rise in the last +10 years though this is not
> as invasive as having to show a rent-a-cop your store receipt when leaving a CompUSA
> or Best Buy.

Yeah that's the same pen we have. Only leaves a mark on a fake note.

There's security in the market where our store is but they are not allowed to carry weapons of any kind and they have no radios! Usually they hang out at the exits which means there is almost always one close to our store.

> > we bought ~2000m land
>
> How soon before the building is erected and the cabs get moved in?

Probably a long long time, I think the first thing that will be erected over there will be a tent or shack and a makeshift barbecue. And once we have the water running, a shower.

S

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#254463 - 05/13/11 08:32 PM

> Here in the US cashiers tend to use a special pen and verify that $20's and above are
> legit. I have seen this practice on the rise in the last +10 years though this is not
> as invasive as having to show a rent-a-cop your store receipt when leaving a CompUSA
> or Best Buy.

Which I never do personally. I just walk right past and if they get huffy I say, "if you think I've shoplifted something, feel free to call the police; otherwise please get out of my way. Thank you." ...

At least at Fry's, where I do the vast majority of my non-online shopping, they don't even make an effort to stop you or even talk to you if you just walk right on by ... but when I lived in NYC, the young punks they hired to do this job at BestBuy and the like were very aggressive. Guess it's a California vs. New York thing ...

Moose
Send PM

#254482 - 05/14/11 01:38 AM

> worth 50% more than we paid for it. It's our private wild west.

Nice one Sune !! Looks like a real nice, quiet island to me ! The sort of place to go and sit and think on a quiet afternoon.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#254490 - 05/14/11 02:22 AM

> > Do you use a Firewall ?
>
> Not on my home systems; being behind a router and with a locally assigned (via DHCP),
> non-internet-addressable IP address, which 99.9% of home users have, makes firewalls
> unnecessary, unless you're worried about attacks from within; but I don't worry about
> that.
>
> Also not on my server, which is sitting up there on the internet at large without any
> firewalling whatsoever. But like I said, it has exactly two ports open: 22 and 80.
>
> I hear you about end users with little clue about security being the major problem
> regardless of operating system.

Just remember, Sony wasn't running a firewall either, and look where it got them...
I used to clean up other peoples problems, my brother was a virus/bot magnet, I still remember scanning his system and finding 1200 viruses, I could never get that system working, I told him he should take it out and shoot it...

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#254491 - 05/14/11 02:33 AM

> > Heh, I don't particularly enjoy walking across the street carrying money. At least
> > there is a small police 'base' nearby.
> >
> > These days someone is paying with fake R$ bills over there, the other day the
> parking
> > garage attendant at the market received a fake 100 Reais note (~60 USD) and the
> bank
> > had called us because we had deposited two fake 20R$ bills. Now we have to check
> each
> > note. And we don't take credit cards in our store (I get to say "profit margin"
> again
> > lol).
>
> or Best Buy.
>
Just remember if you steal from Best Buy, make sure you run though the doors when they are open, and if you make it outside, no one will follow, because if they do, they will get fired.
I used to know a friend who used ran a store, they used to get fake bills all the time, even with pens, they used to have them slip though.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#254506 - 05/14/11 08:37 AM

> I will never buy a family member a
> Microsoft Windows system again, I've spent too much of my time re-installing it after
> the inevitable virus infection.

macosx is a ticking time bomb, I wonder what os you'll go to next. Meanwhile Microsoft have done a really good at cleaning their house.

I've never had to reinstall due to a virus, although I've only used NT based OS since 1997.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#254507 - 05/14/11 08:38 AM

> Blame Lev, I mean Tim Eckel, I mean .

I blame j00.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#254508 - 05/14/11 09:17 AM

nonsense... sony had various firewalls. the hacker(s) however found a way to bypass them.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

The Loony Bin new [Re: tamalmalamarrado]
#254511 - 05/14/11 10:57 AM

please move this thread to The Loony Bin. it's a pile of highly uninteresting off-topic right now, and it's growing.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: Roman]
#254513 - 05/14/11 11:03 AM

> nonsense... sony had various firewalls. the hacker(s) however found a way to bypass
> them.

Sorry but wrong... Sony Running Unpatched Servers With No Firewall

If you want I could give you more links...

Edited by Quantum Leaper (05/14/11 11:05 AM)

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#254525 - 05/14/11 02:27 PM

read and google more carefully. the webserver is mentioned in your link, not the general sony infrastructure where the database holding the stolen data is behind firewalls. no doubt that sony could and should do better in terms of security.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#254666 - 05/16/11 07:41 AM

Found this googling. Apparently hackers exploited Amazon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-13...html?cmpid=yhoo

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: B2K24]
#254667 - 05/16/11 11:39 AM

> Found this googling. Apparently hackers exploited Amazon.
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-13...html?cmpid=yhoo

Easy way to be anonymous, get someone else to do the dirty work but the point is if you have bad security on one server, most likely you have bad security on all your servers.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#254688 - 05/16/11 08:31 PM

> And if your printer isn't supported out-of-the box by CUPS?

Then it's still not hard/advanced to do since it's not possible.

> Anyway I just chose that as an example. You can pick on my particular example if you
> want, but I think my general point still holds.

My point remains: I think you're pretty badly out of touch with state of the art in Linux configuration (I know, my first clue was "twm"). I very happily run several systems on Fedora without ever having brought up a shell on them.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#254692 - 05/16/11 09:20 PM

> > Anyway I just chose that as an example. You can pick on my particular example if
> you
> > want, but I think my general point still holds.
>
> My point remains: I think you're pretty badly out of touch with state of the art in
> Linux configuration (I know, my first clue was "twm"). I very happily run several
> systems on Fedora without ever having brought up a shell on them.

Here is a page that in very detailed terms describes exactly what my concept of the problems with desktop Linux is:

http://www.kegel.com/linux/comfort/

Note that this page was written in 2007. So maybe my perceptions are 4 years out of date.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Why chdman is trying to connect to internet?? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#260316 - 07/19/11 08:20 PM

> My favorite one always has been Kerio Sunbelt Personal Firewall. But now that I
> turned to Windows 7 x64 OS I can't, because it barely has support for Vista. Do any
> of them ask permission for every single launching application as this one did. I
> haven't tried any other yet, but I recall in most of them you grant permission to an
> application and they do whatever they want without asking later on. This one also
> asked when modifications occurred (say you upgraded a program, MD5 changes and asks
> again).

Sorry to bump this old thread, I just want to mention the answer to my own question. Turns out what I was looking for is called a HIPS firewall (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) and so far COMODO Firewall is the best for me.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6803