Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Guru update
#257991 - 06/21/11 04:40 AM

An update from previous week gathering more info for Model 3 hardware. And another pcb find from Tingoes.

"...a Falcon Kong Junior PCB thanks to Tingoes."

It's probably this very old entry that has been on unMAMEd web site since 2000 when unMAMEd was hosted elsewhere back then.

--
Crazy (Kong) Jr. (Falcon, 82)

This was Falcon's bootleg of Donkey Kong Jr. Pictures of the marquee all say "Crazy Junior" as opposed to Crazy Kong Jr. Possibly unemulated because of no ROM dump, the hardware is probably similar to Crazy Kong.
--

ArcadeDude
Reged: 08/08/04
Send PM

Re: Guru update new [Re: gregf]
#257996 - 06/21/11 05:41 AM

> An update from previous week gathering more info for Model 3 hardware. And another
> pcb find from Tingoes.
>
> "...a Falcon Kong Junior PCB thanks to Tingoes."
>
>
> It's probably this very old entry that has been on unMAMEd web site since 2000 when
> unMAMEd was hosted elsewhere back then.
>
> --
> Crazy (Kong) Jr. (Falcon, 82)
>
> This was Falcon's bootleg of Donkey Kong Jr. Pictures of the marquee all say "Crazy
> Junior" as opposed to Crazy Kong Jr. Possibly unemulated because of no ROM dump, the
> hardware is probably similar to Crazy Kong.
> --

Wow, great news on this Crazy Kong Junior PCB - Thank You Guru & Tingoes. I followed this back in the day on BYOAC (July 2004) with great interest. Nothing seemed to come of it until today, almost 7 years to the date! We can only hope it can/will be emulated. Another holy grail from the classic era of gaming may come to life once again. Talk about excitement, man this is what MAME is all about - at least for fans of the golden age of arcades when a quarter meant something special.

Thanks to all who made this happen.

Game not Over...

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: ArcadeDude]
#258009 - 06/21/11 07:16 AM

Thanks for the kind words from Gregf and Arcadedude,

I have been looking for that PCB for many years. It is possibly the rarest of the Donkey Kong series game made.

AFAIK Falcon made the Donkey Kong part I and II and Kong Jr under license from Nintendo for markets outside Japan and the USA.

KLOV says that Falcon Kong Jr is owned by 0 collectors. That probably explains why it has taken so long to come up for sale.

I could only find Falcon Part II out here in Australia when I was looking for either the part I or the Kong Jr PCB's that were unMAMEd.

I have looked for the PCB on eBay in the UK, USA and Australia for donkey yonks (Many years) to add to the project. I was surprised when I saw it listed as a buy it now for US$75 and no-one had bought it.

I negotiated with the seller for a day to get it sent to Australia before buying it.

The seller even dropped the price to $50 to help me with the extra shipping charges. (Thank you Fruitplate1).

In any case the PCB is ridiculously rare. I know that others were looking for Kong Jr and have even posted wanted to buy requests on the net.

I got lucky to buy it and put it in MAME and it shows that persistence almost always pays off.

There are however many rare hacks and bootlegs that haven't been added to MAME because there is not enough money from donations to purchase them, and there is more effort spent purchasing and preserving originals.

I personally would like to see us complete the old Guru's Most Wanted list and get every arcade PCB ever made emulated in MAME, including the early stuff without roms.

Recently Smitdogg's Dumping Union has run into drama's by having too many donations coming through their Paypal account, and now people who wish to donate have to do so by money order. (What about Bitcoins Smitdogg? Or is that the new silver?).

The Guru who was buying PCB's from Japan with donations sent to him has not been purchasing anything from Japan since donations to his account dried up.

The other really important thing that requires money is the de-capping done by Dr Decapitator in his lab. (to fix protected non-working games in MAME).

I know that times are tough and a lot of people are doing it hard. To those that love MAME and can afford to donate to the project, please do so so that we can buy more games, de-cap, and emulate them.

Cheers,

Tingoes.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: Tingoes]
#258011 - 06/21/11 07:38 AM

> Recently Smitdogg's Dumping Union has run into drama's by having too many donations
> coming through their Paypal account, and now people who wish to donate have to do so
> by money order. (What about Bitcoins Smitdogg? Or is that the new silver?).

I don't know what bitcoins are. The paypal situation has little to do with donations and a lot to do with the other things I use my account for and a new IRS law that popped up out of nowhere a few weeks ago. It kinda freaked me out to be honest. I don't keep records of hobby stuff for tax purposes and I might end up with a massive migraine next year and a hole in my pocket. I'm trying to get it set up in a Google based thing but donations had mostly dried out anyway.

I don't think sending money to the doc will do any good right now. Maybe if/when he shows back up again then it will temporarily help to send him money for a few weeks then he will slip back into real life for x amount of months. If you think someone sending him 50 bucks is going to make a new decap appear soon after, I think you are mistaken. Also the problem with hacks and bootlegs these days is actually getting devs to add them, not buying, although the Kong Jr. should be an exception especially since gregf has unmamed-goodolddays-dramatized it.

JacKc
Reged: 06/04/07
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#258012 - 06/21/11 11:40 AM

>... Also the problem with hacks and bootlegs these days is actually getting
> devs to add them, not buying, although the Kong Jr. should be an exception especially

Agreed with you Smitdogg...Seems it's hard now to have hacks and bootlegs added to MAME even if MAME main purpose is to preserve (all?) games.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#258015 - 06/21/11 12:48 PM

>
> I don't know what bitcoins are.

http://www.bitcoin.org/

Basically a virtual currency that only exists in computers and has no central mint or authority, no fed, not subject to tax laws. Whether you can actually use it to purchase stuff, I do not know. Might be worth investigating though.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: Robbbert]
#258029 - 06/21/11 07:02 PM

After about 3 minutes of research even just to linked articles posted on their front page I can safely say there's no chance I'll be using that.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: Tingoes]
#258034 - 06/21/11 08:38 PM

> I got lucky to buy it and put it in MAME and it shows that persistence almost always
> pays off.

Congrats there.

Heh. Another of the Paul Harvey- type "..Rest of the Story" moments. ;-) Good story though.

o/t: Paul's work was famous here in N. America region radio broadcasts. I agreed with talk radio host Mike Malloy's opinion and tribute to Paul months earlier of: "...liked Paul's radio work, but abhored Paul's political views."

--
I have been looking for that PCB for many years. It is possibly the rarest of the Donkey Kong series game made. AFAIK Falcon made the Donkey Kong part I and II and Kong Jr under license from Nintendo for markets outside Japan and the USA. KLOV says that Falcon Kong Jr is owned by 0 collectors. That probably explains why it has taken so long to come up for sale. I could only find Falcon Part II out here in Australia when I was looking for either the part I or the Kong Jr PCB's that were unMAMEd. I have looked for the PCB on eBay in the UK, USA and Australia for donkey yonks (Many years) to add to the project. I was surprised when I saw it listed as a buy it now for US$75 and no-one had bought it. I negotiated with the seller for a day to get it sent to Australia before buying it. The seller even dropped the price to $50 to help me with the extra shipping charges. (Thank you Fruitplate1). In any case the PCB is ridiculously rare. I know that others were looking for Kong Jr and have even posted wanted to buy requests on the net.

--

It reminds me of old relentless search for

Ramtek Trivia schematics. After one of the former MAMEdevs saw what would be required to emulate Trivia when looking at schematics, didn't hear anything more about looking into emulating that non-cpu game. And that is understandable too since emulating Trivia would be a skyscraper building project itself compared to emulating a pong clone.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#258035 - 06/21/11 08:56 PM

>The paypal situation has little to do with donations and a lot to do with the other
>things I use my account for and a new IRS law that popped up out of nowhere a few weeks
>ago. It kinda freaked me out to be honest. I don't keep records of hobby stuff for tax
>purposes and I might end up with a massive migraine next year and a hole in my pocket.

It seems this might also put a sizeable crimp on other small hobby groups or small organizations that depend upon charity contributions here in the States whereas larger charities can handle the new burdens imposed by IRS agency.

>Also the problem with hacks and bootlegs these days is actually getting devs to add
>them, not buying, although the Kong Jr. should be an exception especially since gregf
>has unmamed-goodolddays-dramatized it.

Kong Jr. entry had the unfortunate luck of being next to Crazy Otto when listed on unMAMEd page all these years......and unfortunately we know the outcome with Crazy Otto although nice to see videos of Crazy Otto in action and knowing Crazy Otto is preserved. It just won't be emulated.

--
Crazy (Kong) Jr.
Crazy Otto
--

I guess these are the known remaining Donkey Kong alternates yet to be found unless there are more not listed yet on Tribble's unMAMEd site.

Donkey King
Donkey Kong (speedup)
Donkey Kong Jr (kits)

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: JacKc]
#258049 - 06/21/11 11:24 PM

> >... Also the problem with hacks and bootlegs these days is actually getting
> > devs to add them, not buying, although the Kong Jr. should be an exception
> especially
>
> Agreed with you Smitdogg...Seems it's hard now to have hacks and bootlegs added to
> MAME even if MAME main purpose is to preserve (all?) games.

there's usually no problem getting devs to add stuff (at least not for me). the problem is when the politics of the dumping group starts to piss off the devs then they just avoid everything.

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/05/08
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: TheGuru]
#258308 - 06/25/11 02:38 PM Attachment: dkongjrb.png 3 KB (1 downloads)

I almost bought that PCB too (assuming it was the one on ebay from a guy in Murietta CA). He thought it said Crazy Junior on the title screen, but hadn't tested it in years. If you guys want to test it, it should use the same pinout as a standard Nintendo DK Jr, but won't require inverted video nor an audio amplifier (it's built in on the bootlegs). I've got a bootleg DK Jr board that looked identical to his, that's just running what looks like one of the bootleg sets (just says "Donkey Kong JR" on the title screen with no Nintendo logo, with 12 initials on the high score board). Somebody I know has a Crazy Junior machine, and the DK Jr bootleg board that was in it said "Junior King" on the title screen. I'm also working on dumping a board (and getting the ROM's right, as some give me more than 1 checksum if I read it several times) that's a single board and running a version called "Donkey King Jr". I also have a Crazy Kong board running "Donkey King" (I see you have that listed as wanted) that I'm gonna try and get dumped too. Here's a little teaser of the title screen for Donkey King JR

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by CrazyKongFan (06/25/11 02:53 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Guru update - Falcon Kong Jr. new [Re: CrazyKongFan]
#258317 - 06/25/11 05:14 PM

That's what this one Tingoes got turned out to be, looks like the pic you posted.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Donkey King, Donkey King Jr. and Crazy Kong new [Re: CrazyKongFan]
#258331 - 06/25/11 09:37 PM

>If you guys want to test it, it should use the same pinout as a standard Nintendo DK Jr,
>but won't require inverted video nor an audio amplifier (it's built in on the
>bootlegs). I've got a bootleg DK Jr board that looked identical to his, that's just
>running what looks like one of the bootleg sets (just says "Donkey Kong JR" on the
>title screen with no Nintendo logo, with 12 initials on the high score board).

Good info there. Thanks.

This is good seeing Tingoes contribution regarding Crazy (Kong) Jr. (ie: Donkey King Jr.). And in case you can later add of the missing sets still not documented in MAME at this time.

>Somebody I know has a Crazy Junior machine, and the DK Jr bootleg board that was in it
>said "Junior King" on the title screen. I'm also working on dumping a board (and
>getting the ROM's right, as some give me more than 1 checksum if I read it several
>times) that's a single board and running a version called "Donkey King Jr". I also have
>a Crazy Kong board running "Donkey King" (I see you have that listed as wanted) that
>I'm gonna try and get dumped too.

If you have time to send in any info (roms, pcb layout info, or pinout info for hooking up pcb etc. ) for Donkey King or any other unsupported bootleg sets of Crazy Kong thanks. Any of these additions should help better document the various bootleg versions.

Your notes and contribution(s), besides being given credits on a future wip update, should then make its way into either being added to Donkey Kong driver or the Crazy Climber (Crazy Kong hardware) driver file.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/dkong.c.html

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/cclimber.c.html

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Send PM

#258332 - 06/25/11 09:43 PM

Ah, glad I didn't buy it then...I've already got 3 DK Jr bootleg boards (all different ROMsets) so I don't really need duplicates Are you guys taking care of dumping/submitting it to MAME? If so, I won't worry about trying to figure out the couple of ROM's on mine that give different checksums continuously.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#258333 - 06/25/11 09:53 PM

>I've already got 3 DK Jr bootleg boards (all different ROMsets) so I don't really need
>duplicates...If so, I won't worry about trying to figure out the couple of ROM's on mine that give different checksums continuously.

Interesting. Whatever can be sent from any of those thanks. There might be revision versions...assuming roms are considered to be in working shape and readable.
One of the MAMEdevs could then get everything sorted out later when adding support to Donkey Kong or Crazy Climber driver file.

>Are you guys taking care of dumping/submitting it to MAME?

I posted a reply,

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

, but do send a message to Smitdogg if needing to ask a question or two.

Whatever hardware info, rom info, or pcb pinout info for those wanting to hook up a pcb to play from pcb.....any of that info will be welcomed since it would help document the pcbs.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#258338 - 06/25/11 10:36 PM

If the board plays and you're getting inconsistent reads I can say with 99% certainty that you are using a Willem. They don't support 2716, 2732 or 2764 worth a crap. You might get lucky and get a few good reads but the support for them is terrible. There are probably a few different revisions of the hack so ideally it needs to be dumped but if you are using a Willem you probably won't get a good read. Even when it reads consistent crcs on those types of chips, one or two are probably bad.

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey King, Donkey King Jr. and Crazy Kong new [Re: gregf]
#258361 - 06/26/11 04:56 AM

The Donkey King board I have uses the same Falcon pinout as a standard Crazy Kong board. It only has 1 edge connector though, whereas the Falcon boards have 2, one oriented 180 degrees from the other. My Donkey King board is also a smaller 2-board set, and pretty much plays just like the ckongalc set (Alca bootleg), other than the title screen being different. It definitely doesn't play like the description for it on the unmamed page.

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Send PM

#258400 - 06/26/11 02:33 PM

> If the board plays and you're getting inconsistent reads I can say with 99% certainty
> that you are using a Willem. They don't support 2716, 2732 or 2764 worth a crap. You
> might get lucky and get a few good reads but the support for them is terrible. There
> are probably a few different revisions of the hack so ideally it needs to be dumped
> but if you are using a Willem you probably won't get a good read. Even when it reads
> consistent crcs on those types of chips, one or two are probably bad.

Well, I guess I'm in the 1% then It's an old Modular Circuit Technology model "MOD-MEP-1A" I'm borrowing from a friend. It's old enough that it requires a PC with an ISA slot! It seems to read 2716's just fine (almost always get the same CRC if I read one multiple times), but 2732's is where I get lots of multiple CRC's reading one chip. I can program 2732's with it, but it seems to have trouble with 2716's (unless the 3 I have are bad. They seemed to blank ok with a UV eraser).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#258401 - 06/26/11 04:02 PM

You could try heating up the rom and reading it while hot or the opposite, putting it in the freezer for a while and quickly reading. If you want you can send me the other rom dumps and I can compare them to the other dump. If they all match you can probably just not bother with this last one. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4715