Pages: 1

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Reged: 02/23/11
Loc: Spartanburg, SC
Send PM

Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now?
#259603 - 07/11/11 02:16 PM

I'm just wondering if Demul is still working on Model 3 games, since Bart is already doing the work.

You axed for it, slam for it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: JustSaiyanPaul]
#259612 - 07/11/11 03:09 PM

> I'm just wondering if Demul is still working on Model 3 games, since Bart is already
> doing the work.

Presumably yes, but Demul got Zinc'ed (unauthorized leak after excessive taunting of the emulation public at large) so the project's in a bit of limbo.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#259613 - 07/11/11 03:12 PM

When you say "limbo", do you mean they're having some difficulties in emulation for other games?

You axed for it, slam for it!

karadaniano
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/13/09
Send PM

#259620 - 07/11/11 04:16 PM

thats sad, are the demul devs sad/angry in this moment?
its a shame the progress stop for some idiot that made public a beta release...

arcade FTW

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#259623 - 07/11/11 04:53 PM

> When you say "limbo", do you mean they're having some difficulties in emulation for
> other games?

I haven't been following, but if Arbee means what I think he means, then he means the project is on temporary hiatus because the developers are arguing amongst themselves and with their users - otherwise known as "emu-politics"

- Stiletto

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Stiletto]
#259624 - 07/11/11 04:58 PM

great. ZiNc is dead with no change of seeing the light of day... and now Demul.
ZiNc (and Demul) works so much faster than MAME

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Stiletto]
#259628 - 07/11/11 05:51 PM

> I haven't been following, but if Arbee means what I think he means, then he means the
> project is on temporary hiatus because the developers are arguing amongst themselves
> and with their users - otherwise known as "emu-politics"

I don't actually know what's going on internally, I just know there was a leak and then progress reports stopped. But I think "emu-politics" is a safe assumption.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#259630 - 07/11/11 06:22 PM

I'm not aware of that leak (which was an old version from Feb.) providing anything but entertainment for them (the guy that leaked it is some freak named Ben Yetter who has been an internet scammer for over a decade, everywhere from used cars to neo-geo.com to FBI busts).

karadaniano
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#259642 - 07/11/11 08:42 PM

so, it was not a beta tester who made public that beta?

arcade FTW

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: karadaniano]
#259643 - 07/11/11 08:47 PM

Not exactly. He said he was going to provide dumps and then didn't (scam #1000 for him). I guess if he would have ever provided a dump he could have compared the emulation to the board and then been a beta tester, technically.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#259651 - 07/11/11 10:53 PM

> great. ZiNc is dead with no change of seeing the light of day... and now Demul.
> ZiNc (and Demul) works so much faster than MAME

ZiNc was good back in its day, however there were many things still not emulated back then, and it had quite a few bugs still in the system. It also lacked configuration options for its plugins, of which only a select few were partially compatible (ZiNc didn't keep track of their config settings).

I'm afraid I dropped ZiNc and the entire PSEmu Pro plugin system like a ton of hot bricks when the S11 games were promoted to 'working' in MAME. I didn't care much for the other games, as long as the proper arcade version of Tekken 2 worked!

Off-topic Tekken talk (e.g., hit the back button!):

I have no idea what Namco were thinking, but Tekken 2 had a total of three totally different AI systems. The original Ver.A would have the CPU attempt combos all the time, leaving themselves predictable and open. Ver.B featured the hardest AI, where the CPU would just poke or counter your moves, usually with a rising right kick, except it had one bug - If you knocked the CPU opponent over and then walked right up to them, the CPU would *always* roll and attempt to kick you (except for Lei, who would roll away), so it was very easy to time and get high-damage counter hits and very quick time records of under 3 minutes (2 round matches). The AI featured on the PlayStation version reverted to that of Ver.A (10-Hit Combo fest), but it was slightly different again and much easier.

It wasn't just that game though, Tekken 1 also had the same AI problem; hard arcade and way too easy on PSX - whether it was on Easy or Ultra Hard made little to no difference on the PlayStation. The only good thing about the PSX version was the selectable bosses, all which featured brand new moves (except Kunimitsu who only had a 'crippled' Yoshimitsu moveset with no unblockables) from the then-upcoming Tekken 2 which hadn't been released in arcades yet. If you liked Galaga, you could probably sit for ages trying to get perfect kills on its challenging modes (it had no normal stages), the reward for beating every single stage with perfects in one sitting being a Devil style outfit for Kazuya (no additional 'Devil' moves) that couldn't even be saved on the memory card, unlike the bosses.

A few years back, Namco then dragged out released Tekken 5 on the PS2. For me, it was really only worth getting for the 4 arcade games on the disc, and Devil Within if you like a 3D platform game crossed with Tekken 4's Force Mode, and playing as a Tekken 3 rendition of Jin (yay) with awkward controls (boo). The gameplay of Tekken 5 itself takes a lot of getting used to, and it had seemed that the 'classic' charm of Tekken was all but gone, so I levelled up the characters (What?! Is this a fighting game or an RPG?), killed the cheating Jinpachi a number of times and got bored really fast. To me, even Tekken 4 was a better, more complete game, despite not having a good old clumsy 400lb Jack robot to effortlessly juggle around in the air by a 40 pound teenage girl. Maybe the 5.1 update of the game was better, or Dark Resurrection, but I have never played either of these games, nor have I played Tekken 6 or later. I actually ended up spending more time on the Arcade History mode playing the 3 classics (I never played Starblade), despite them not having any option to save the 'crucial' game data like time records (WHY Namco?!!!).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259653 - 07/11/11 11:47 PM

Is Demul coded in C++?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#259674 - 07/12/11 03:18 AM

thanks for the info.
those games are playable in MAME, but they run like a slideshow, unless you have a very powerful computer, which most of us don't.
and MAME is about accuracy, not playtime.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#259675 - 07/12/11 03:19 AM

I've never heard or read about this leaked build either.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: ]
#259680 - 07/12/11 03:52 AM

Drop it. You lost that argument already.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259684 - 07/12/11 04:12 AM

> Is Demul coded in C++?

I don't know, but I know that Bart is coding Supermodel with a slow C interpreter, that's what he said.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#259718 - 07/12/11 02:23 PM

"zinc" games run smoothly in MAME on low end dual core machines, as long as you use 64bit OS and emu.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: etabeta]
#259721 - 07/12/11 02:38 PM

well, in that case, I'll remove ZiNc support from my frontend.

I have a Core2Duo 1.8GHz laptop with Win7 64-Bits and these games run slowly.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259725 - 07/12/11 03:16 PM

> Is Demul coded in C++?

Run Demul. Change the CPU type to interpreter and the graphics to software. Notice the same framerates as MAME. Voila, algorithm trumps implementation.

And yeah, you lost that argument so badly I'm surprised you're trying to start it again.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: etabeta]
#259726 - 07/12/11 03:18 PM

> "zinc" games run smoothly in MAME on low end dual core machines, as long as you use
> 64bit OS and emu.

They run nicely on a six year old 2.8GHz Celeron too, just a little on the slow side (not really noticeable when you're playing though, aside from it stuttering). Of course, leaving the frameskip on auto will make any games like these run like a slideshow. In fact, they run more smoothly in MAME than ZiNc ever did for me, mainly due to ZiNc making heavy use of framebuffer stuff on the 3D card (which my Radeon 9550 hated, whereas Geforce cards apparently ran through it flawlessly - tell me otherwise if it isn't the case!). This would mean the final stage (Devil) in Tekken 2 would go from a full speed 60fps game to a 20fps lag-fest when the background mirror effect came on screen, messing up any timing you may have had, especially when you were playing in slow-mo and the games miraculously jumped back to full speed because the mirror scrolled off the screen! In MAME, the speed is a constant amount at all times while playing, hovering around 60% (which would be around 35fps) on this machine during fights.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#259753 - 07/12/11 08:17 PM

> Run Demul. Change the CPU type to interpreter and the graphics to software. Notice
> the same framerates as MAME. Voila, algorithm trumps implementation.
>
> And yeah, you lost that argument so badly I'm surprised you're trying to start it
> again.

Being honest I had the same stigma about Java. Trying JPCSP emulator and noticing games run quite well on x86 and x64 machines, that totally prove me wrong. Emulation still has its flaws on 3D, but 2D games like Patapon run really well. It's funny how the emu runs the software actually, it emulates the CPU but lets the audio, music and video playback to third party software.

P.S.: Over 1000 posts already?, I'm supposed to be a lurker.

Bart T.
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#259756 - 07/12/11 08:52 PM

Supermodel is C++. The CPU cores are technically still in C but in practice, this distinction between C++ and C is irrelevant. I'm surprised this debate is still active over here in the year 2011 but I guess none of us would be here if we didn't enjoy nostalgia

As RB says, it's all about the algorithms. The main reason Supermodel is slow, for example, is the graphics engine. There's a lot that can be done to optimize the rendering. The single biggest performance killer is the bilinear interpolation done by hand in the shaders. It's madness to go about it this way, since just about every GPU since 1997 could do this in hardware, but I need to get the Real3D to give up a few more of its secrets before I write a smarter model and texture caching/preprocessing system.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Bart T.]
#259767 - 07/12/11 10:38 PM

Funny enough, I believe starting on either Radeon HD5000 or 6000 they have removed the hardware bilinear and do it through the shader units anyway.

Bart T.
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Reznor007]
#259769 - 07/12/11 10:50 PM

Could be. I'm using GLSL 1.2 and things have certainly evolved since then. The trend is toward more programmability. I'm sure that on newer hardware, the shader compilers generate even more explicit code for the more generic shader units.

I have to perform a nasty calculation just to _locate_ each of the four texels (thanks to how Model 3 textures are laid out and then referenced on a per-polygon basis) that comprise a single pixel sample.

Does anyone know how modern games manage textures? Are polygons in a mesh sorted by texture? Or is it common to skin an entire model with only a single texture? I imagine rendering happens based on a sorting of the geometry, not textures, but surely it makes sense to minimize texture-related state changes when rendering complex meshes.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259778 - 07/13/11 12:01 AM

> > Is Demul coded in C++?
>
> Run Demul. Change the CPU type to interpreter and the graphics to software. Notice
> the same frame rates as MAME. Voila, algorithm trumps implementation.
>
> And yeah, you lost that argument so badly I'm surprised you're trying to start it
> again.

Uh..wrong answer. If the Demul project is dead why not assimilate it and improve on it? I'm sure it would be more entertaining to you devs than say 20 Mahjong bootlegs.

I proposed the same C flavor argument (which, Mr. Belmont is so keen to remind) to one of my lecturers at college. I haven't got an answer back yet.

Bart T.
Send PM

#259783 - 07/13/11 12:27 AM

C++ is (mostly) just a superset of C. Some constructs add a bit of overhead but in simple cases this doesn't matter. In "complex" projects, you would be duplicating much of that same functionality anyway in C (complicated data structures, for example), and you'll get identical performance.

I'm not sure what question you posed your lecturer but it is important to note that the language itself doesn't do anything that adds algorithmic complexity. It's really what you do with it that counts. Presumably, your real gripe is with object oriented design methodology, but even then, it's not the objects, it's how you use them

Demul is written in C++ as far as I know, by the way.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#259784 - 07/13/11 12:29 AM

Not necessarily modern, but Quake3 used a single texture for the entire player model(or maybe it was 1 texture for body, 1 for head). World of Warcraft has a different texture for each armor piece and race skins, but the game takes all the textures for your race and gear, then internally combines it to 1 full texture. This way each character you see is only using 1 texture, built from many smaller ones.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#259785 - 07/13/11 12:47 AM

> Uh..wrong answer. If the Demul project is dead why not assimilate it and improve on
> it? I'm sure it would be more entertaining to you devs than say 20 Mahjong bootlegs.
>
> I proposed the same C flavor argument (which, Mr. Belmont is so keen to remind) to
> one of my lecturers at college. I haven't got an answer back yet.

Haven't seen many mahjong bootlegs recently. The current trend is late 1990s Sega games, crappy slot machine games that are full to the brim of security checks, and home computers in MESS. In fact, I had to scroll down as far back as May to find a mahjong game on Kale's WIP page - it's actually right at the very bottom of the page, well, almost. Still not a bootleg though. Try it, go through all of the MAME WIP pages you can find, see if you can find another mahjong game posted in the past year. RB, nope; Ha3e, nope; Robbie, nope; Robiza, nope; SMF, nope; AJG, nope; PhilWIP, nope; Dox, nope...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259791 - 07/13/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

Try it, go through all of the MAME WIP pages you can find, see if you can find another mahjong game posted in the past year.

I have better things to do like go outside, date girls, enjoy stimulating conversations over dinner with friends, than googling crap up in a closet all night. But you did find one bootleg. Kudos.

Now please go out and get some fresh air and sunshine, before winter's icy grip kicks in.

Is Makaron still coded in C++?

Is that dead too?

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: I think you just lost the Miss Troll contest with this -nt- new [Re: ]
#259794 - 07/13/11 03:13 AM

> Try it, go through all of the MAME WIP pages you can find, see if you can find
> another mahjong game posted in the past year.
>
> I have better things to do like go outside, date girls, enjoy stimulating
> conversations over dinner with friends, than googling crap up in a closet all night.
> But you did find one bootleg. Kudos.
>
> Now please go out and get some fresh air and sunshine, before winter's icy grip kicks
> in.
>
> Is Makaron still coded in C++?
>
> Is that dead too?

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259797 - 07/13/11 03:24 AM

> > "zinc" games run smoothly in MAME on low end dual core machines, as long as you use
> > 64bit OS and emu.
>
> They run nicely on a six year old 2.8GHz Celeron too, just a little on the slow side
> (not really noticeable when you're playing though, aside from it stuttering). Of
> course, leaving the frameskip on auto will make any games like these run like a
> slideshow. In fact, they run more smoothly in MAME than ZiNc ever did for me, mainly
> due to ZiNc making heavy use of framebuffer stuff on the 3D card (which my Radeon
> 9550 hated, whereas Geforce cards apparently ran through it flawlessly - tell me
> otherwise if it isn't the case!). This would mean the final stage (Devil) in Tekken 2
> would go from a full speed 60fps game to a 20fps lag-fest when the background mirror
> effect came on screen, messing up any timing you may have had, especially when you
> were playing in slow-mo and the games miraculously jumped back to full speed because
> the mirror scrolled off the screen! In MAME, the speed is a constant amount at all
> times while playing, hovering around 60% (which would be around 35fps) on this
> machine during fights.

I've got a Celeron, too, and as I said earlier, it runs M2 and 3 games very slow. When I was attempting to play "Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders" on an earlier version of MAME (0.120 from 10/07), I got a "push_triangle_triangle_buffer overflow" crash error. I think I have an Intel Integrated Graphics card in there and I know I have a Celeron that runs at 2.20 GHz. Is the crash due to an emulation error, or is it because of my computer?

The same problem occurred with "Ski Champ" on 119, too.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#259798 - 07/13/11 03:27 AM

> conversations over dinner with friends, than googling crap up in a closet all night.
>
> Now please go out and get some fresh air and sunshine, before winter's icy grip kicks
> in.
>

Ironic coming from someone who couldn't get over the topic. On the other hand, you're right. Learning and implementing new languages and algorithms is not for people who waste their time only socializing, you need to do some research and have an open mind in order to do that (but you couldn't do/have). It's not also for people who can't spend less than 5 minutes in Google to do a quick search.

Now I'm not saying being sociable is bad (or being only a programmer is good), but a balance from both (and many other things) doesn't do any harm.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259838 - 07/13/11 11:12 AM

I get decent frame rate with Zinc with a Asus F3sc running XP 32bit.

The graphics are not great, but it is playable.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Agreed. There are people far better qualified in here -nt- new [Re: Kale]
#259839 - 07/13/11 11:17 AM

You make a valid comment and some fanboy takes it out on you.

etabeta
Send PM

any time you do a "valid" comment, I take the popcorn and watch the comedy with great fun -nt- new [Re: ]
#259841 - 07/13/11 12:29 PM

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

You really need to get out more often, please waste good popcorn on a movie instead. -nt new [Re: etabeta]
#259845 - 07/13/11 12:49 PM

etabeta
Send PM

I'm not the one beating on a dead horse over and over... *nt* new [Re: ]
#259846 - 07/13/11 01:12 PM

JacKc
Reged: 06/04/07
Send PM

#259848 - 07/13/11 01:58 PM

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259852 - 07/13/11 03:05 PM

> Supermodel is C++. The CPU cores are technically still in C but in practice, this
> distinction between C++ and C is irrelevant. I'm surprised this debate is still
> active over here in the year 2011 but I guess none of us would be here if we didn't
> enjoy nostalgia
>
> As RB says, it's all about the algorithms. The main reason Supermodel is slow, for
> example, is the graphics engine. There's a lot that can be done to optimize the
> rendering. The single biggest performance killer is the bilinear interpolation done
> by hand in the shaders. It's madness to go about it this way, since just about every
> GPU since 1997 could do this in hardware, but I need to get the Real3D to give up a
> few more of its secrets before I write a smarter model and texture
> caching/preprocessing system.

If I used Core i5 or i7 (on a laptop, of course), PLUS a very powerful GPU (graphics accelerator, like NVIDIA GeFore), would that give it a "turbo boost", since Supermodel relies more on the GPU than the CPU?

Edited by MegaManX500 (07/13/11 03:10 PM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#259858 - 07/13/11 04:21 PM

> Try it, go through all of the MAME WIP pages you can find, see if you can find
> another mahjong game posted in the past year.
>
>
> in.

Winter's icy grip has already kicked in. Sunshine is practically non-existent, mostly covered with dark cumulonimbus clouds with the temperature hovering between 7 and 13°C and raining for most of the day and night in outer Melbourne.

By the way, you still need to date multiple girls every night? Sounds like you aren't very popular if you have to keep paying different people for a good time.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259862 - 07/13/11 04:49 PM

> If I used Core i5 or i7 (on a laptop, of course), PLUS a very powerful GPU (graphics
> accelerator, like NVIDIA GeFore), would that give it a "turbo boost", since
> Supermodel relies more on the GPU than the CPU?

Almost any current mid or high-end GPU runs SuperModel very well - I was getting several hundred FPS on my GeForce GTX 570, and increasing the resolution all the way to my panel's max (1600x1200) didn't slow it down, so there's clearly headroom for slower GPUs.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259866 - 07/13/11 05:16 PM

Is it possible to slow the FPS down to 60 on that GPU, RB?

Edited by MegaManX500 (07/13/11 05:17 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259867 - 07/13/11 05:18 PM

> Is it possible to slow the FPS down to 60 on that GPU, RB?

Yes, Bart added a frame limiter after I reported those results

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259870 - 07/13/11 05:25 PM

I see. So basically, it's just frame limiting. I wonder how the SCSP will sound when Bart adds sound to Supermodel, he said that he's using an earlier version of ElSemi's SCSP core, that might mean the music will sound a bit faster, am I right? I think you (RB) have an SCSP core for the newest M1, but the timer speed sounds a little bit slower than ElSemi's.

Edited by MegaManX500 (07/13/11 05:27 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259872 - 07/13/11 06:14 PM

> I see. So basically, it's just frame limiting. I wonder how the SCSP will sound when
> Bart adds sound to Supermodel, he said that he's using an earlier version of ElSemi's
> SCSP core, that might mean the music will sound a bit faster, am I right? I think you
> (RB) have an SCSP core for the newest M1, but the timer speed sounds a little bit
> slower than ElSemi's.

My newest-newest SCSP is actually in Audio Overload, where we can subject it to Saturn .SSF music rips (which has helped fix a lot of problems, and those fixes have been steadily ported back to MAME). The popular AOSSF plugin for Winamp and Foobar2000 also contains that code.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#259873 - 07/13/11 06:21 PM

> I'm sure it would be more entertaining to you devs than say 20 Mahjong bootlegs.
>

Don't bet on it

Cheers,

Ralph.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#259875 - 07/13/11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Winter's icy grip has already kicked in. Sunshine is practically non-existent, mostly covered with dark cumulonimbus clouds with the temperature hovering between 7 and 13°C and raining for most of the day and night in outer Melbourne.

My bad. I guess I was too late with such good advice. Seriously though I thought Australia was hot year round, with spiders and bugs the size of dinner plates. I hope you are on a second story building.

Quote:

By the way, you still need to date multiple girls every night? Sounds like you aren't very popular if you have to keep paying different people for a good time.

This is sadly very true. Girls are not cheap where I come from, and I always get the dinner tab. The rest of the evening's entertainment is free and that doesn't mean hours on the couch with the Xbox.

I'm sure if I was a famous coder I would get more perks like free trips to CAX. Sadly I will just have to settle for 3rd place and the attentions of a beautiful woman

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Eating crow new [Re: R. Belmont]
#259877 - 07/13/11 06:51 PM

I got an email from my lecturer today (its the end of the year at college and it shut last Friday).

I posted her the complete transcript of the thread regarding the discussion with Mr. Belmont and myself, particular emphasis on the direction of replacing C with C++ and I got a response back that surprised me.

Everything Mr Belmont reported, my lecturer concurred. That using C++ had several advantages than using C (whatever recent flavor). My lecturer is aware of the project.

So my sincere apologies to Mr. Belmont if I had caused any offense by doubting or questioning his methods. I will continue to ask questions on C and C++, but I shall do some research before proposing them in future.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Yes dead and buried. -nt new [Re: etabeta]
#259878 - 07/13/11 06:53 PM

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259882 - 07/13/11 07:48 PM

Can the plugin support Model 2 and 3 games, if so how do I use it? Is the timer speed very accurate?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259938 - 07/14/11 05:29 PM

> Can the plugin support Model 2 and 3 games, if so how do I use it? Is the timer speed
> very accurate?

Doesn't support Model 2/3, just Saturn and ST-V .SSF rips. The timer speed is perfect to my knowledge - it matches both real hardware recordings and released OST CDs.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259940 - 07/14/11 05:48 PM

Don't mean to bug you, but do you think there will be a new version of M1 with your current Audio Overload SCSP core?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#259952 - 07/14/11 08:46 PM

> Don't mean to bug you, but do you think there will be a new version of M1 with your
> current Audio Overload SCSP core?

Eventually, yes. One of the things MAME C++ makes easier for my strategically lazy ass is in fact M1, but the cores need to be converted over first.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#259978 - 07/15/11 12:40 AM

Good. And hopefully, in that version, someone can fix the sound ROMs of "Ski Champ", "Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders", "Fighting Vipers 2", and "Emergency Call Ambulance", because the sound emulation for these games are yet preliminary, and the music in all these games are good.

karadaniano
MAME Fan
Send PM

#260008 - 07/15/11 03:42 PM

> > If I used Core i5 or i7 (on a laptop, of course), PLUS a very powerful GPU
> (graphics
> > accelerator, like NVIDIA GeFore), would that give it a "turbo boost", since
> > Supermodel relies more on the GPU than the CPU?
>
> Almost any current mid or high-end GPU runs SuperModel very well - I was getting
> several hundred FPS on my GeForce GTX 570, and increasing the resolution all the way
> to my panel's max (1600x1200) didn't slow it down, so there's clearly headroom for
> slower GPUs.

i jumped from a 8600 gt to a 9800 gt and i dont notice a big fps change,

CaH4e3
Demul coder
Reged: 08/17/08
Send PM

#260131 - 07/17/11 12:17 PM

> I don't actually know what's going on internally, I just know there was a leak and
> then progress reports stopped. But I think "emu-politics" is a safe assumption.

progress was "stopped" before the leak, because of nothing to show is left currently. there is no new dumps or something, cave emulated by 98% with sound, so there is no things left to do lol

model3 is just for fun, if it goes emulated by himself, it's good, if not, let it to more experienced and more familiar with hw people like Bart, which can do better for now

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: CaH4e3]
#260132 - 07/17/11 02:20 PM

Does that mean you have sorted all problems with the naomi 2 games? You guys have done amazing things with demul, what will have to happen with your emulator for a new release to be ready?

CaH4e3
Demul coder
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: Cable]
#260136 - 07/17/11 03:24 PM

> Does that mean you have sorted all problems with the naomi 2 games? You guys have
> done amazing things with demul, what will have to happen with your emulator for a new
> release to be ready?

nope, naomi2 still untouched... there is some major issues to work with, and summer in progress, etc.. so i don't know

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#260156 - 07/17/11 08:33 PM

"Summer in Russia ?!"
Tell me about it, it's like a winter in my country
Go back to work You lazy sanabl bitch and release 0.5.7 if You wanna live !!
Now seriosly :
I am ill badly and my doctor gave me ~ 30 days or so... ...and that was a week ago!
My last wish is to play Samurai Spirits T.K. on Demul. Would You fulfill that for me ?
Спасибо и быть спокойным об Cave, я буду защищать вас и от самый мощный зверь в мире ... С небес ...

CaH4e3
Demul coder
Send PM

Re: Is Model 3 emulation on Demul dead now? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#260158 - 07/17/11 09:06 PM

> My last wish is to play Samurai Spirits T.K. on Demul. Would You fulfill that for me

try leaked WIP build lol

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

#260164 - 07/17/11 10:09 PM

> try leaked WIP build lol

You are a dead man (walking) Sanchez !!!

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

respect your honest apology, quite rare on forums =) -nt new [Re: ]
#260210 - 07/18/11 04:11 PM

n

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: respect your honest apology, quite rare on forums =) -nt new [Re: hap]
#260238 - 07/18/11 10:33 PM

Perfect arcade Naommi emulation would have been so awesome I really would have liked to see all the Initial D games running smoothly.

Hopefully CeHi3a4 and the rest of the bunch can sort out their adversities and get things back on track

Edited by Outrun2006 (07/18/11 10:33 PM)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

Re: respect your honest apology, quite rare on forums =) -nt new [Re: Outrun2006]
#260239 - 07/18/11 11:07 PM

> Perfect arcade Naommi emulation would have been so awesome I really would have liked
> to see all the Initial D games running smoothly.
>
> Hopefully CeHi3a4 and the rest of the bunch can sort out their adversities and get
> things back on track

Oh, Please don't do that !
He is so sensitive, now we have to wait couple of months more just for Yours misspelling !!!
His name is CaH4e3

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: respect your honest apology, quite rare on forums =) -nt new [Re: CTOJAH]
#260278 - 07/19/11 08:12 AM

> > Perfect arcade Naommi emulation would have been so awesome I really would have
> liked
> > to see all the Initial D games running smoothly.
> >
> > Hopefully CeHi3a4 and the rest of the bunch can sort out their adversities and get
> > things back on track
>
> Oh, Please don't do that !
> He is so sensitive, now we have to wait couple of months more just for Yours
> misspelling !!!
> His name is CaH4e3
>>>>>>>>

My bad....

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: respect your honest apology, quite rare on forums =) -nt new [Re: CTOJAH]
#260297 - 07/19/11 05:43 PM

> His name is CaH4e3

I'm sure he's been called a lot worse

Cheers,

Ralph.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#260315 - 07/19/11 08:02 PM

> > Don't mean to bug you, but do you think there will be a new version of M1 with your
> > current Audio Overload SCSP core?
>
> Eventually, yes. One of the things MAME C++ makes easier for my strategically lazy
> ass is in fact M1, but the cores need to be converted over first.

I have another question about the SCSP core? It's from this forum you posted 3 years ago on Emuversal. The "SCSP challenge". You somehow used an arcade sound player to record the name entry theme from VF3, and the timer speed seems to be as accurate as it sounds in the arcade.

Did you rip this from M1?:

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/vf30030.mp3

If so, which version?

Edited by MegaManX500 (07/19/11 08:03 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#260322 - 07/19/11 10:12 PM

> Did you rip this from M1?:
>
> http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/vf30030.mp3

Yes, of course. Note the filename is M1 standard

> If so, which version?

The latest one. I deleted all copies of the Windows binary because people were trying to make me support it after I explicitly said no, but if you compile the source from the "Hell freezes over" thread it should give you an equivalent version.

JustSaiyanPaul
Darkhunter
Send PM

#260323 - 07/19/11 10:44 PM

"Hell freezes over" thread? Where is this thread at?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7926