MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this?
#264440 - 09/11/11 01:14 AM

I just purchased this game off of ebay. The keyboard controls for this game are screwed up! Can anyone recommend a good controller to work with this "Game for Windows" game?

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#264447 - 09/11/11 02:36 AM

I have been having pretty good luck with the usb 360 controller. The play in the analog sticks is a bit maddening though for some games...

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=dp_ob_title_ vg

Though I am not sure if you can use any controllers with that game... So if you can get any controller to work with it. Then that one should work. If there are settings for it then it will probably work.

Edited by lharms (09/11/11 02:40 AM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#264470 - 09/11/11 09:30 AM

I thought this topic was going to be about this.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: lharms]
#264488 - 09/11/11 05:13 PM

> I have been having pretty good luck with the usb 360 controller. The play in the
> analog sticks is a bit maddening though for some games...

Have they fixed the D-pad on the newer ones? I have 2 white ones that are a few years old and the D-pads are miserable. My $5 Logitech Precision is way better.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: DMala]
#264489 - 09/11/11 05:23 PM

> > I have been having pretty good luck with the usb 360 controller. The play in the
> > analog sticks is a bit maddening though for some games...
>
> Have they fixed the D-pad on the newer ones? I have 2 white ones that are a few years
> old and the D-pads are miserable. My $5 Logitech Precision is way better.

There is a well known hack to fix the 360 controller d-pads by sanding the plastic edges of the case to be 50% thinner, and installing a spacer (a donut shape cut from a semitransparent plastic 'Pringles' can lid or something similar) below the plastic button piece but above the rubber contact piece. From what I heard (having never done it myself) it improves the d-pad response pretty dramatically.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#264490 - 09/11/11 05:42 PM

> > > I have been having pretty good luck with the usb 360 controller. The play in the
> > > analog sticks is a bit maddening though for some games...
> >
> > Have they fixed the D-pad on the newer ones? I have 2 white ones that are a few
> years
> > old and the D-pads are miserable. My $5 Logitech Precision is way better.
>
> There is a well known hack to fix the 360 controller d-pads by sanding the plastic
> edges of the case to be 50% thinner, and installing a spacer (a donut shape cut from
> a semitransparent plastic 'Pringles' can lid or something similar) below the plastic
> button piece but above the rubber contact piece. From what I heard (having never done
> it myself) it improves the d-pad response pretty dramatically.
>
> LN

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-the-d-pad-on-the-Xbox-360-control-pad-mor/

LEVEL-4

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

That thing is SWEET, but expensive... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#264520 - 09/12/11 02:25 AM

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: DMala]
#264521 - 09/12/11 03:09 AM

Cant say. Never had any problems out of mine. Course a bit of google and apparently there are plenty of others like you who are not very happy with it. I usually use the analog ones anyway for stuff... Also seeing as my xbox red ringed itself I gave up on the real system. Maybe the launch ones were a bit better or something.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#264524 - 09/12/11 05:12 AM

> I just purchased this game off of ebay. The keyboard controls for this game are
> screwed up! Can anyone recommend a good controller to work with this "Game for
> Windows" game?

Congratulations, it's a shitty, repetitive but good looking game. Pulling off combos when fighting and parkouring around is satisfying at first but then there's not much else to do. I liked Tron 2.0 a lot better: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/01/29/retro-tron-20/ See comments section for more opinions.

An Xbox 360 controller will work great with Tron Legacy and should generally work great with any game bearing the "Games for Windows" label.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#264528 - 09/12/11 05:40 AM

> > > > I have been having pretty good luck with the usb 360 controller. The play in
> the
> > > > analog sticks is a bit maddening though for some games...
> > >
> > > Have they fixed the D-pad on the newer ones? I have 2 white ones that are a few
> > years
> > > old and the D-pads are miserable. My $5 Logitech Precision is way better.
> >
> > There is a well known hack to fix the 360 controller d-pads by sanding the plastic
> > edges of the case to be 50% thinner, and installing a spacer (a donut shape cut
> from
> > a semitransparent plastic 'Pringles' can lid or something similar) below the
> plastic
> > button piece but above the rubber contact piece. From what I heard (having never
> done
> > it myself) it improves the d-pad response pretty dramatically.
> >
> > LN
>
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-the-d-pad-on-the-Xbox-360-control-pad-mor/

I've seen those mods before, I'll have to give them a try. I find the biggest problem is that it's hard to hold straight up or straight down. It wants to roll to either side, so you hit the diagonal. Incredibly frustrating when you go to duck in, say, Contra, and end up running straight into enemy fire with your gun pointed at the ground. It's not totally clear to me if the spacer will help with this or not.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Tron Legacy - Controller: Anyone used a gamepad with this? new [Re: Sune]
#264548 - 09/12/11 04:54 PM

That is a very good description of it. The graphics and a lot of the eye candy is really good. But controls and gameplay are a bit screwy.

I have Tron 2.0 installed on the same system. It's superior in a few ways.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

How about MAME games and a XBOX 360 controller? new [Re: Sune]
#264550 - 09/12/11 04:58 PM

Can you use the controller for MAME?
Trying to justify buying one.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: How about MAME games and a XBOX 360 controller? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#264578 - 09/13/11 01:35 AM

> Can you use the controller for MAME?
> Trying to justify buying one.

Yes it works great with MAME, but the d-pad is just ridiculous. I tried the "Pringles lid" mod but I couldn't get it to work right. I might try again later....They are basically selling a broken product. It's exactly like Dmala says later in this thread.

But thankfully the Xbox 360 controller is great otherwise, for PC games I prefer it to Sony Dualshocks that I've been using for years. It fits better in my hands. R2 and L2 are analog "triggers" which is nice for driving games. If you wanted analog throttle/brake with the Dualshock, your best option was the right analog stick.

Most modern PC games have support for the XBox 360 controller with all controls mapped to it out of the box, on-screen instructions to hold "LT" or press button A etc. I never thought I'd be playing FPS games with a gamepad. I finished Batman: Arkham Asylum with it.

Before I bought mine I had been using an "emulator" which makes my dual shock controller (any DirectInput controller) work as an Xbox 360 controller. You set up the mapping in a text file and then chuck this text file and a modified xinput.dll into the game folder. Then the games see an XBox 360 controller and everything just works. Here's the link: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

You can use this with Tron Legacy and whatever gamepad you already have, as long as it has enough buttons of course.

S

euroweb
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/04/11
Send PM

Re: How about MAME games and a XBOX 360 controller? new [Re: Sune]
#270208 - 12/04/11 04:02 PM

I was using an old MS Sidewinder gamepad (15-PIN and recently USB version) with MAME since day one. (Just started playing again after years of barely playing)
It was not good for 4-way only games (Pac Man, Donkey Kong etc.)

I was looking at the 2 current X-Arcade sticks yesterday ($129.99 and up, on sale), but their huge size was not good for my intended use (on laptop in bedroom e.g.). One of them was reviewed and had some potential quality issues in one review.

Anyway, I almost bought the Logitech F310 wired controller (USB) last night, but somehow turned around before paying and settled on the wired MS 'XBOX 360' controller (it also works with Window's PC's - drivers install seamlessly).

All I can say is "Wow!"
I noticed The d-pad does not work in MAME (at least not out of the box), but my intention had always been to use the mini stick instead.
Well, the stick works amazingly well in Pac Man and Donkey Kong. No more missed ladders in Donkey Kong or accidentally hitting a diagonal in Pac Man instead of a L,R,U or D.

The only minor nuisance is that the price dropped overnight by $10 (just for a 1 week sale), so I will need to go back to the store and get a Price Adjustment ($39.99 to $29.99).

Anyway, I highly recommend anyone who is not happy with their current MAME controller, especially for 4-way (in terms of direction) games, give the 360 wired controller a shot.
If you still think it is not that good, then it must be me (meaning my old Sidewinder was so bad that it made the 360 controller seem amazing). :-)
Half kidding aside, I found it works extremely well for Donkey Kong and (Ms.) Pac Man. The user reviews on this controller are very high, so I guess I am not alone.

Edited by euroweb (12/04/11 04:03 PM)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: How about MAME games and a XBOX 360 controller? new [Re: euroweb]
#270211 - 12/04/11 04:26 PM

> I noticed The d-pad does not work in MAME (at least not out of the box)

You're not missing out, the 360 controller's d-pad is absolutely fits-of-rage inducing and annoying.

Primary joystick in MAME is whatever registers as the primary joystick in Windows. This means the left analog stick on most (probably all) gamepads. The d-pad is normally either seen as a "point-of-view hat" or simply four buttons.

I have a Playstation to USB adapter that reads when the "analog" button is pressed on the Dualshock controller. This toggles between d-pad and left analog stick being the "primary joystick", just like when using it with a Playstation. I thought that was clever, none of my other adapters can do this and this one is the only one I have that works in Windows 7, without loading a driver even.

S

euroweb
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/04/11
Send PM

#270331 - 12/06/11 07:16 AM

> > I noticed The d-pad does not work in MAME (at least not out of the box)
>
> You're not missing out, the 360 controller's d-pad is absolutely fits-of-rage
> inducing and annoying.
>
> Primary joystick in MAME is whatever registers as the primary joystick in Windows.
> This means the left analog stick on most (probably all) gamepads. The d-pad is
> normally either seen as a "point-of-view hat" or simply four buttons.
>
> I have a Playstation to USB adapter that reads when the "analog" button is pressed on
> the Dualshock controller. This toggles between d-pad and left analog stick being the
> "primary joystick", just like when using it with a Playstation. I thought that was
> clever, none of my other adapters can do this and this one is the only one I have
> that works in Windows 7, without loading a driver even.
>
> S

Pretty nifty about the Dualshock controller (when used with the USB adapter).
Thanks for the feedback about the d-pad being horrible.
This is probably why my original Sidewinder was so bad (it only had a d-pad)...

Yes, I noticed, while configuring the controls for Robotron 2084 or another game, that the d-pad was seen as a POV hat.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#270348 - 12/06/11 02:52 PM

> I have a Playstation to USB adapter that reads when the "analog" button is pressed on
> the Dualshock controller. This toggles between d-pad and left analog stick being the
> "primary joystick", just like when using it with a Playstation. I thought that was
> clever, none of my other adapters can do this and this one is the only one I have
> that works in Windows 7, without loading a driver even.
>
> S

Speaking of which, on my (lost) PSX/N64 USB adaptor, the 'D-pad' on a Nintendo 64 controller is simply registered as buttons, only the analog stick registers as U/D/L/R. Additionally, the A and B buttons are duplicated, so they both trigger 2 buttons each.

I wouldn't use a Microsoft game controller if I was paid to, the Sidewinder sucked, and the Xbox and Xbox 360 controllers sucked even more. Those controllers make the Sega Master System D-pad look good.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: How about MAME games and a XBOX 360 controller? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#270358 - 12/06/11 04:49 PM

< the Sidewinder sucked,

/me totally agrees

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3074