View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Why did the original mame.net close?
#272702 - 01/11/12 07:28 AM

I heard there used to be an official MAME forum at mame.net, but it closed down. Why did it close down?

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272703 - 01/11/12 08:14 AM

I blame Lev.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

SFW new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272722 - 01/11/12 07:16 PM

> I heard there used to be an official MAME forum at mame.net

I wonder what Santeri Saarimaa is up to these days.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Gridle couldn't hang with the awesome power of the adminosphere <nt> new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272724 - 01/11/12 07:54 PM

> I heard there used to be an official MAME forum at mame.net, but it closed down. Why
> did it close down?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Mame people with their heads up their ass? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272765 - 01/12/12 06:13 AM

I give up. Why DID it close down?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Mame people with their heads up their ass? new [Re: GatKong]
#272766 - 01/12/12 06:21 AM

I don't remember if there was an announcement as to exactly why but I am pretty sure Gridle was tired of moderating it (he was the only mod), it was redundant, the host kept going down, and it was pretty much a stain of Moogly Guy flames in the end. I've never seen anyone get away with as much murder on a messageboard as he did on mame.net in its final year. He lit every newbie on fire and Gridle just sat there eating Doritos.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Mame people with their heads up their ass? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272767 - 01/12/12 06:28 AM

> I don't remember if there was an announcement as to exactly why but I am pretty sure
> Gridle was tired of moderating it (he was the only mod), it was redundant, the host
> kept going down, and it was pretty much a stain of Moogly Guy flames in the end. I've
> never seen anyone get away with as much murder on a messageboard as he did on
> mame.net in its final year. He lit every newbie on fire and Gridle just sat there
> eating Doritos Pringles.

FTFY

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Andrew]
#272768 - 01/12/12 06:28 AM

> > I heard there used to be an official MAME forum at mame.net
>
> I wonder what Santeri Saarimaa is up to these days.

Cosplay blogger?

http://blog.cft.fi/author/gridle/

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Mr. Do]
#272769 - 01/12/12 06:32 AM

Doesn't look how I remember him but it fits the bill. He was studying Japanese in college back in the mame.net days.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272772 - 01/12/12 06:53 AM

Assuming you're thinking of that old alleged photo of Gridle that DaveW had (or was it Eckle or Shane Munroe), that was what, 13 years ago? Dang, old timer moment.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: John IV]
#272773 - 01/12/12 06:57 AM

I didn't see it 13 years ago, maybe 10. It might have already been 3. But wasn't his hair blond and maybe thick glasses? He has cylinder contact lenses and dies his hair brown.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272776 - 01/12/12 07:01 AM

That's the one. I was trying to remember the caption, I think it was 'It hits the button to compile' or something like that.

I feel that way on MameUI sometimes, laugh.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#272777 - 01/12/12 07:02 AM

> That's the one. I was trying to remember the caption, I think it was 'It hits the
> button to compile' or something like that.
>
> I feel that way on MameUI sometimes, laugh.

http://www.facebook.com/public/Santeri-Saarimaa

Jop is on Facebook. He should friend him.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#272778 - 01/12/12 07:27 AM

I had forgotten that he used to make compiles. The only thing I miss about mame.net is the WIP page. MAME WIP has never been the same since. Used to be one of the best sites on the web.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272780 - 01/12/12 07:48 AM

I have no clue who these people are you guys are talking about. But I assume they no longer are active in the MAME community.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272781 - 01/12/12 07:55 AM

I think Gridle (Santeri) is probably still on the mamedev list. He was never really active with any sort of mame development. I'm not really sure how he got there tbh. Moogly Guy is active, he's the guy who made the HLSL effects stuff in mame. Also known as Just Desserts and other aliases such as Harmony. He's banned from here for acting like he did on mame.net. On mame.net if you programmed mame you could do whatever you wanted. There were a bunch of active devs back then that posted there for a period. Most are no longer active.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272782 - 01/12/12 07:56 AM

Why didn't Gridle just ask a couple trusted members to be moderators with him? MAME is the most popular emulator in the world and it is suprising that the old official forum of MAME only had one moderator.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#272783 - 01/12/12 08:08 AM

Don't know. Maybe he had control issues. He actually did a good job moderating aside from letting MG run wild. Well, other than when trolls figured out his sleeping schedule. The only thing worth keeping from it was the WIP page anyway and he obviously didn't want to spend time on that anymore. The message board was redundant like I said.

Qc4
Reged: 01/30/05
Send PM

#272793 - 01/12/12 11:12 AM

The forum software that ZTNet uses, WWWThreads 3.5.1, only supports one moderator per board.

Gridle
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/13/12
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Mr. Do]
#272863 - 01/13/12 11:46 AM

Hello guys.

> Cosplay blogger?
>
> http://blog.cft.fi/author/gridle/

That was a one off gig I got to do, assisting the Finnish team in the World Cosplay Summit in Nagoya in 2010. You won't find my picture there, but if you insist...

These days I work as a Japanese teacher, translator, interpreter, author and whatever.

I gave up with mame.net mainly because I was not able to develop the site into the direction I wanted to. I had a great idea for a wiki-like game database back in like 2000 (way before Wikipedia existed :), but due to the limitations of the host I was never able to develop it further. Then I just pretty much gave up any hope, and the site eventually fell into disrepair. I never felt like I was entitled to anything because the hosting was free, so I didn't really pursue any improvements as vigorously as I maybe should have.

But I hope you all had as much fun following the WIP updates as I had preparing them! :-)

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Gridle]
#272865 - 01/13/12 12:47 PM

Hey Gridle,

Thanks for peeking in. I just wanted to thank you for the work you used to do. I used to really enjoy the site.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

WIP new [Re: redk9258]
#272866 - 01/13/12 01:21 PM

Now if we want to follow the WIP, we would have to visit all the various MAME dev websites. Why don't they all just combine their WIP's onto one web page?

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#272868 - 01/13/12 02:35 PM

That was the fun of it back then though, if you acted like a douche, you would get flamed. I think a lot of forums have become too inviting for this generation, these days you can't even scold someone for typing in lowercase without punctuation without being called a Spelling Nazi (not that there is any reason to type entirely in lowercase, ALL CAPS, Or In Sentence Case That Makes It Hard To Read Fluently - having a phone, an iPad or a Nintendo DS doesn't cut it either).

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: WIP new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272869 - 01/13/12 04:05 PM

> Now if we want to follow the WIP, we would have to visit all the various MAME dev
> websites. Why don't they all just combine their WIP's onto one web page?

We are at the point right now where major happenings are already announced in the NEWS forum. Other happenings, of course, can be derived from the Change Log from MAMETesters, which will list a log of fixed bugs. If you can also monitor GIT commit logs to be aware of other happenings. MAME has never been more transparent than it is now.

The wild early days of emulation have passed where numerous major additions were being made daily. That level of progress will never be again - so a WIP blog isn't a high priority.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#272872 - 01/13/12 05:27 PM

> I have no clue who these people are you guys are talking about. But I assume they no
> longer are active in the MAME community.

I recommend you change your handle to NewBatchGamer.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#272873 - 01/13/12 05:40 PM

Thanks for all you did, I'd give you some pringles if I could! here's some virtual bacon! and virtual booze!

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: italie]
#272882 - 01/13/12 08:45 PM

> > That's the one. I was trying to remember the caption, I think it was 'It hits the
> > button to compile' or something like that.
> >
> > I feel that way on MameUI sometimes, laugh.
>
> http://www.facebook.com/public/Santeri-Saarimaa
>
> Jop is on Facebook. He should friend him.

You should friend Jop, it will improve your life. A little.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#272912 - 01/14/12 03:44 AM

> You won't find my picture there, but if you insist...

I fixed that for you.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#272914 - 01/14/12 03:59 AM

Some of the sites that have RSS feeds are available on LiveJournal. You could always create a LiveJournal page and subscribe to the feeds. Then they show up on your friends page. Here's the ones that I know of...

http://aarongiles-rss.livejournal.com/
http://mame-nicola-ato.livejournal.com/
http://mamedev-rss.livejournal.com/
http://palazzolo-rss.livejournal.com/
http://rbelmont-rss.livejournal.com/
http://[email protected]/

(note, that the last one has a typo... nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

If anyone knows of any other MAME devs with RSS enabled sites let me know.

Someone could probably create a page here on MAMEWorld that aggregates all the RSS feeds into a single page with the newest content on top. Maybe break it up by month or year to keep the page length manageable.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#272915 - 01/14/12 04:01 AM

> I don't remember if there was an announcement as to exactly why but I am pretty sure
> Gridle was tired of moderating it (he was the only mod), it was redundant, the host
> kept going down, and it was pretty much a stain of Moogly Guy flames in the end. I've
> never seen anyone get away with as much murder on a messageboard as he did on
> mame.net in its final year. He lit every newbie on fire and Gridle just sat there
> eating Doritos.

Ahh, the good ol' days.

Kevin Eshbach

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Gor]
#272918 - 01/14/12 04:22 AM

> > > That's the one. I was trying to remember the caption, I think it was 'It hits the
> > > button to compile' or something like that.
> > >
> > > I feel that way on MameUI sometimes, laugh.
> >
> > http://www.facebook.com/public/Santeri-Saarimaa
> >
> > Jop is on Facebook. He should friend him.
>
> You should friend Jop, it will improve your life. A little.

Taht would rewuire I get on facebook once and a while. been meaning to do that for a year now.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: WIP new [Re: Tafoid]
#272920 - 01/14/12 04:49 AM

> > Now if we want to follow the WIP, we would have to visit all the various MAME dev
> > websites. Why don't they all just combine their WIP's onto one web page?
>
> We are at the point right now where major happenings are already announced in the
> NEWS forum. Other happenings, of course, can be derived from the Change Log from
> MAMETesters, which will list a log of fixed bugs. If you can also monitor GIT commit
> logs to be aware of other happenings. MAME has never been more transparent than it is
> now.
>
> The wild early days of emulation have passed where numerous major additions were
> being made daily. That level of progress will never be again - so a WIP blog isn't a
> high priority.

Yes, I know about the changelog. I was referring to things that are in the process of trying to get fixed. Also, maybe even things that are planned to get fixed in the very near future. Such as, "I'm currently trying to fix chip A and this weekend I will be working on fixing chip B." It appears all that type of information used to be on one web page, instead of scattered. But no big deal. The RSS feeds and Live Journal as others suggested, really doesn't suite me. But the news forum, as you suggested, will do fine for me.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#272921 - 01/14/12 05:00 AM

That wasn't what the WIP was. It was about recent submissions, very rarely future plans. Devs have always hated setting deadlines or talking about what will be done, thus the whole 2006 Sega thing. Which I'm not explaining for the sake of mystery.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#272922 - 01/14/12 05:01 AM

> I was referring to things that are in the process of
> trying to get fixed. Also, maybe even things that are planned to get fixed in the
> very near future. Such as, "I'm currently trying to fix chip A and this weekend I
> will be working on fixing chip B."

It exists and the link was posted in this thread already. If you look around over here http://git.redump.net/mame/ you can see exactly what's being worked on. Most code submissions come with comments, and when they don't you can look at the code itself to see which device (your chips A and B) or other part of MAME it belongs in.

The git page is a much more intimate look at what's going on between MAME releases than the old WIP page was.

S

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: WIP new [Re: Sune]
#272924 - 01/14/12 05:19 AM

> > I was referring to things that are in the process of
> > trying to get fixed. Also, maybe even things that are planned to get fixed in the
> > very near future. Such as, "I'm currently trying to fix chip A and this weekend I
> > will be working on fixing chip B."
>
> It exists and the link was posted in this thread already. If you look around over
> here http://git.redump.net/mame/ you can see exactly what's being worked on. Most
> code submissions come with comments, and when they don't you can look at the code
> itself to see which device (your chips A and B) or other part of MAME it belongs in.
>
> The git page is a much more intimate look at what's going on between MAME releases
> than the old WIP page was.
>
> S

Must have missed it. Nice. Just one question, for a fix like this one, how do I know what game this is for? http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=f6e6e318d4fe87bfcef5ff59678276b93f582de6

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#272925 - 01/14/12 05:33 AM

> Just one question, for a fix like this one, how do I know
> what game this is for?
> http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=f6e6e318d4fe87bfcef5ff59678276b93f582de6

Oh come on, get in the game already! Even if you couldn't code anything to save your life, just skimming the page while employing a minimum of common sense will get you what you're looking for.

The little + and - next to the colored lines means that the lines in red were replaced with lines in green.

Now look at the blue line that has "MACHINE_CONFIG_START" before each change and you can clearly see exactly which games are affected.

Keep staring at the page for a while and you might even guess that what's going on is that each game in the toaplan1 driver had its own individual video timing before, and that this was replaced by shared code for all games in the driver.

S

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272926 - 01/14/12 05:41 AM

I don't know how to code. 95% of a page like that is like in another language to someone like me. Thanks though.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#272930 - 01/14/12 05:48 AM

> I don't know how to code. 95% of a page like that is like in another language to
> someone like me. Thanks though.

Neither do I but you have to admit that it's not hard to find "truxton", "outzone", "zerowing" etc etc in there. In a different color even, which should grab your attention.

And everybody knows what + and - means. Right? Now, you don't have only + and - in there, you also have the colors green and red to help you understand. That's a total of two commonly used, universal forms of symbolic language that, in this case are there to tell you the same thing. And neither has anything to do with knowing how to code.

Now admit that you didn't look at it at all.

S

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272931 - 01/14/12 05:53 AM

No I really did look. I saw that but I was looking for one game. It didn't click that since it's a driver, it affects multiple games. So when I was looking, I was looking for one specific game. And I thought it would be more towards the top of the page like some of the others are.

Plus when you don't understand 95% of a page, all the text seems to run together and text gets visually missed.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272932 - 01/14/12 06:01 AM

Thats why I like reading the News Forum better than GIT, because it's easier to understand for someone like me.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#272933 - 01/14/12 06:04 AM

> No I really did look. I saw that but I was looking for one game. It didn't click that
> since it's a driver, it affects multiple games.

See, you did understand something...

So when I was looking, I was looking
> for one specific game.

...but when you didn't see what you were expecting to see, nothing made sense to you. That is a very "adult" thing to do, this is one of the reasons why it becomes harder and harder to learn new things as we get older.

> Plus when you don't understand 95% of a page, all the text seems to run together and
> text gets visually missed.

Exactly, that just confirms what I said. This happens because you are trying to apply what you know before you start reading, instead of looking at it on its own premises, with an open mind...like a child.

Peace and windmills

S

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272934 - 01/14/12 06:06 AM

Nice analyzation. It's very possible.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#272935 - 01/14/12 06:08 AM

> Nice analyzation. It's very possible.

Thank you and welcome to ze Lönybin.

S

Gridle
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame people with their heads up their ass? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#272939 - 01/14/12 07:01 AM

> That was the fun of it back then though, if you acted like a douche, you would get
> flamed. I think a lot of forums have become too inviting for this generation, these
> days you can't even scold someone for typing in lowercase without punctuation without
> being called a Spelling Nazi (not that there is any reason to type entirely in
> lowercase, ALL CAPS, Or In Sentence Case That Makes It Hard To Read Fluently - having
> a phone, an iPad or a Nintendo DS doesn't cut it either).

Might have been fun at the time, but in retrospect it made the entire site look very immature. Then again, most of the contemporary emulation related sites were not much better in that regard, so I guess it was par for the course.

Of course that's no excuse for letting it stay that way for as long as it did.

Gridle
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: krick]
#272940 - 01/14/12 07:03 AM

> I fixed that for you.

Bright light! Bright light!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

I absolutely cannot believe two things... new [Re: Gridle]
#272949 - 01/14/12 10:22 AM

1. You hadn't registered here in the last NINE years.

2. In those nine years, not one person had used the handle Gridle.

At any rate, welcome to the dark side and all of that.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I absolutely cannot believe two things... new [Re: italie]
#272954 - 01/14/12 11:11 AM

> 1. You hadn't registered here in the last NINE years.
>
> 2. In those nine years, not one person had used the handle Gridle.
>
> At any rate, welcome to the dark side and all of that.

& It's funny how we should just mention him and like magic....

Makes you wonder who else is lurking around.

Gridle
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I absolutely cannot believe two things... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#272957 - 01/14/12 12:39 PM

> Makes you wonder who else is lurking around.

I wasn't exactly lurking around though. I was tipped off.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#272973 - 01/14/12 05:29 PM

> Peace and windmills
>
> S

How very Dutch. I like it.

(Can't wait for the Brazilian version...)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: WIP new [Re: italie]
#272975 - 01/14/12 05:51 PM

> > Peace and windmills
> >
> > S
>
> How very Dutch. I like it.

Danish..usually we're one step behind the Dutch, but not when it comes to windmills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Denmark

> (Can't wait for the Brazilian version...)

Paz e cataventos! lol

S

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#272976 - 01/14/12 06:06 PM

> > > Peace and windmills
> > >
> > > S
> >
> > How very Dutch. I like it.
>
> Danish..usually we're one step behind the Dutch though but not when it comes to
> windmills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Denmark

Dutch and Danish aren't the same people. Learn something every day...
( I know, I know...ignorant Americans... )

> > (Can't wait for the Brazilian version...)
>
> Paz e cataventos! lol
>
> S

Boats and Ho's back at ya my friend, Boats and Ho's...

Edited by italie (01/14/12 06:07 PM)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: WIP new [Re: italie]
#272980 - 01/14/12 06:34 PM

> Dutch and Danish aren't the same people. Learn something every day...
> ( I know, I know...ignorant Americans... )

Nah, ask me anything about US geography and I'd probably get it wrong. Here's one off the top of my head...I'm not 100% sure whether Wisconsin is a city or a state.

Dutch people are from Holland. It's a bit confusing.

> > > (Can't wait for the Brazilian version...)
> >
> > Paz e cataventos! lol
> >
> Boats and Ho's back at ya my friend, Boats and Ho's...

Barcos e putas? Travecos e caminhões!

S

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#272984 - 01/14/12 06:46 PM

>
> Nah, ask me anything about US geography and I'd probably get it wrong. Here's one off
> the top of my head...I'm not 100% sure whether Wisconsin is a city or a state.

Neither really, it's actually Illinois playground.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Agreed *nt* new [Re: Gor]
#274025 - 01/25/12 07:38 AM

> > I have no clue who these people are you guys are talking about. But I assume they
> no
> > longer are active in the MAME community.
>
> I recommend you change your handle to NewBatchGamer.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: SFW new [Re: Gor]
#274180 - 01/27/12 01:17 AM

haw

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#284126 - 04/28/12 07:57 AM

I was bored and decided to see what the Wayback Machine offered up on the old mame.net. If you like, you can go back in time to December 31, 2004 right now.

The Internet never forgets. And stale data just becomes all the more retro and chewier as time goes by.

--Bekki

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#284138 - 04/28/12 09:23 AM

> I was bored and decided to see what the Wayback Machine offered up on the old
> mame.net. If you like, you can go back in time to December 31, 2004 right now.
>
> The Internet never forgets. And stale data just becomes all the more retro and
> chewier as time goes by.
>
> --Bekki

That's really cool and all to see the old site. It's too bad that the threads are unreadable. Damn I would enjoy reading what took place back in the day.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Wasn't it Pringles not Doritos (?)...And... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#284153 - 04/28/12 03:39 PM

...That change/loss wasn't as "big" to me as Dave's Video Game Classics going down after the Playstation Bios fiasco and then becoming a purely commerical/'cold' site "Vintage Gaming Network". Extra sad for me, because I visited prior to Dave's Viedo Game Classics, when it was just "Dave's C64 Game Page".

Anyhow, after that nose-dive, I made Retrogames my regular place, until Atila no longer gave a rat's ass and just left the place on cruise control.

Of course, we could also bring up the good old front-end Arcade@Home with Tim Eckel (I believe), who turned the freely available ROMs download and once great front-end to a pop-up re-directing nightmare towards the end of that 'reign'.

Yes, the 90's and early 00's were great times indeed for the emulation community. Not being sarcastic either. Despite some (bad) politics at times, it was exciting to see so many new things emulated and discovered for the first time from the 80's and 90's.

Special shout-outs: Zophar's Domain and Archaic Ruins

Bubblun_Z
Obscure Platform
Loc: In A SPEAK BOARD/-86
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: B2K24]
#284155 - 04/28/12 04:29 PM

> That's really cool and all to see the old site. It's too bad that the threads are
> unreadable. Damn I would enjoy reading what took place back in the day.

Actually, you can read some, it's mostly either hit or miss in there.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: B2K24]
#284156 - 04/28/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

That's really cool and all to see the old site. It's too bad that the threads are unreadable. Damn I would enjoy reading what took place back in the day.

Some are readable and some aren't which is normal for the Wayback Machine. You never know what is archived. That is until a sysadmin uses a robots.txt file to block the spider.

Interesting case: I was browsing an archived site one day with no problems. The next day the archived pages were blocked because the spider finally hit a site's newly-created robots.txt file. Fortunately I was able to guess the http URL syntax on the current site's server and was able to go and archive the site's discussion archives directly since it was behind a php-based paywall.

I got the subdirectories to display and was able to FlashGot them all, even when the files were moved from where they used to be when the site was archived via Wayback. Now I have my own personal mirror. Some creative guessing means that a paywall can easily be circumvented. And Wayback can be used to get an idea of the structure of an old site that was moved to a new location. :-)

I won't go into specific details on how I did it, the exact location and other important stuff for I don't want to get either myself or anyone else here in trouble. Don't PM me about it, either. Anyone who knows how that URL location field within their browser can be used can do this.

--Bekki

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Blast from the past_nt new [Re: Bubblun_Z]
#284160 - 04/28/12 05:10 PM

> > That's really cool and all to see the old site. It's too bad that the threads are
> > unreadable. Damn I would enjoy reading what took place back in the day.
>
> Actually, you can read some, it's mostly either hit or miss in there.

Hi Bubblun

S

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Why did the original mame.net close? new [Re: Bubblun_Z]
#284161 - 04/28/12 05:58 PM

Too bad the wayback machine doesnt have mame.dk archived.That was the first emulation\roms site I ever stumbled upon,and it showed me I could play old school arcade games @ home.And Ive never looked back

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6680