MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2)
#278747 - 03/10/12 07:17 AM

I can only hope this man plans on sharing either the emulator or his knowledge. This is my final Holy Grail!

From Translations:

"Star Rider Emulator in FreeBASIC, now with video background."

"The background video is working, but it will ?not? sync. Solved the "glass bottom", there remains the "variable width" for turns on curves.
The video runs at 50 fps in FreeBasic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3GOzT7Y...GwhVE_DRHOpaX8=

EDIT: I am in contact with the author and he tells me that it is running on his own 6809 emulator and 6821 emulator and it IS open source! I am currently awaiting a reply about getting it.

PLEASE, Don't harass this guy and scare him off!!!!

Anything I get will go to MAME and be credited to him.

EDIT X2: I now have the code!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: He is the author of an existing MAME driver and seems to be pleased if this were to be added.

Any Devs interested?

Edited by *=/STARRIDER\=* (03/10/12 11:15 AM)

There is no law in the arena

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#278749 - 03/10/12 10:49 AM

Looks good man cant wait for the day we get to try out a working version in mame.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#278754 - 03/10/12 12:30 PM

Well I wasn't expecting to see that. Kudos to him. I presume this is the guy who did the Speed Ball driver many moons ago?

I've been making notes on the hardware from the schematics. I do have a basic driver which runs just beyond the initial hardware tests. That's the easy part; the interesting part is the hardware which expands and scrolls digitized lines from the laserdisc and the hardware to decode the track data encoded on the disc...

mariuszw
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/26/07
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#278758 - 03/10/12 03:15 PM

> I've been making notes on the hardware from the schematics. I do have a basic driver
> which runs just beyond the initial hardware tests. That's the easy part; the
> interesting part is the hardware which expands and scrolls digitized lines from the
> laserdisc and the hardware to decode the track data encoded on the disc...

Is track data encoded in Manchester code on laserdisc?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#278760 - 03/10/12 03:44 PM

...Probably because I'm too young or naive... but why is this a big thing? I looked at the vids and some others about Star Rider... but I can't see whats with the hype

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Naoki]
#278774 - 03/10/12 06:52 PM

> ...Probably because I'm too young or naive... but why is this a big thing? I looked
> at the vids and some others about Star Rider... but I can't see whats with the hype

You had to be there

Back when it came out, it was the coolest motorcycle game ever.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#278780 - 03/10/12 07:30 PM

Me having to be there could be used for almost every arcade game, damn I hate growing up after what I like best has died out.

----

By gods I've found it!

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#278783 - 03/10/12 08:01 PM Attachment: Star Rider.jpg 136 KB (1 downloads)

What's the big deal?
Oh come on dude, it's an 80's game that is fairly to highly recognized and up until now has not be emulated.
Further it's a Laserdisc title not covered by Mame or Daphne.

It's got cameo's from Sinistar and Joust.

Securing a shroud is doable as well.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Naoki
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: TrevEB]
#278789 - 03/10/12 09:04 PM

I wasn't around in the 80s and further more never really heard or knew what Star Rider was until today

----

By gods I've found it!

MASH
MASH
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Germany
Send PM

...and the YouTube video :) new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#278793 - 03/10/12 09:36 PM

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#278795 - 03/10/12 09:54 PM

> I wasn't around in the 80s and further more never really heard or knew what Star
> Rider was until today

If it makes you feel any better, I spent *plenty* of time in arcades in the 80s, and I don't recall ever having seen this one in person.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: DMala]
#278801 - 03/10/12 11:04 PM

I don't feel bad for not knowing, I just wish that arcades were still damn popular now like then. I rarel see arcades and when I do, there's a selection of Drivers, lightgun games and DDR ones, rarely ever sticks (if at all) or other games.

----

By gods I've found it!

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#278827 - 03/11/12 03:50 AM

Spy Hunter is another game that gets that sort of reaction. It's simply impossible to emulate it *properly* since the controls for it were unique.

Could be solved through a reproduction control panel, sure, but I don't think anyone's making those.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#278843 - 03/11/12 06:23 AM

Yeah, it was very futuristic for its time. I hope it gets added to MAME.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#278868 - 03/11/12 10:17 AM

> I don't feel bad for not knowing, I just wish that arcades were still damn popular
> now like then. I rarel see arcades and when I do, there's a selection of Drivers,
> lightgun games and DDR ones, rarely ever sticks (if at all) or other games.

Even on the other side of the world. It seems that the United States is the only region left with proper arcades, outside of Japan/China/Korea.

A look inside a Melbourne arcade: Time Crisis type game, check. Big Buck Hunter type game, check. $2-per-credit Daytona that's been sitting there unused since 1998 because its not $1 like everything else, check. Rigged claw machine(s), check. The odd dust-covered pinball table or two hidden right at the back in near-darkness, check. Street Fighter IV/Tekken 6 in widescreen back-to-back vs cabinets, check. Japanese language anime/cutesy/drift/photo game, check. Random football (soccer) game, check... Wait a second, Australia hasn't even heard of this sport!

No classic Street Fighters left, they were all wiped out by dead batteries and the arcades were too stingy to send them back to Capcom for repair . Somehow, SF2CE also vanished at the same time despite being on CPS-1, as well as Mortal Kombat, the "classic" Tekken series (T1/2/3/Tag), the "crap" Tekken series (T4/5.0) and NeoGeo cabinets. Somehow a 1988 Arm Champs unit survived though.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Spy Hunter new [Re: Firehawke]
#278871 - 03/11/12 12:07 PM

> Spy Hunter is another game that gets that sort of reaction. It's simply impossible to
> emulate it *properly* since the controls for it were unique.
>
> Could be solved through a reproduction control panel, sure, but I don't think
> anyone's making those.

Are you talking about feel on the mechanical/ergonomic level, or actual emulation on the software level? Regarding the former, IIRC, configuring my Logitech G25 steering wheel, shifter and pedals led to a reasonably authentic experience (as it did with Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin')...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#278876 - 03/11/12 03:14 PM

> I don't feel bad for not knowing, I just wish that arcades were still damn popular
> now like then. I rarel see arcades and when I do, there's a selection of Drivers,
> lightgun games and DDR ones, rarely ever sticks (if at all) or other games.

You need to find your way to New Hampshire. Two huge classic arcades within about an hour and a half of each other, you'll be in hog heaven. Find a study abroad program, if you can't convince your parents to take a vacation abroad.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Dreams DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: DMala]
#278893 - 03/11/12 06:33 PM

In an apprenticeship currently and afterwards I'd rather work and get more money in the bank so... XP

----

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#278932 - 03/11/12 10:31 PM

This was THE MOST boring laserdisc game EVER! I played in in Vegas at Circus Circus and it was boring, then in Bournemouth in 1995 and low and behold it was still boring. It would make a nice kiddie ride.

It is a game you could probably just sit and watch on a LDP. It is as much fun as watching grass grow or paint to dry. I'm sure you can find a vid of it somewhere and sit on a motorcycle to complete the experience.

If you want to rescue a true laserdisc classic, why not Freedom Fighter? Or Galaxian 3..... Time Gal......?

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: ]
#278936 - 03/11/12 10:47 PM

You always bring joy to the conversation. If you don't have something nice to say, then why not just STFU?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: redk9258]
#278939 - 03/11/12 10:58 PM

> You always bring joy to the conversation. If you don't have something nice to say,
> then why not just STFU?

It is accurate. The game is one big waste of time. If it was such a golden classic why isn't it emulated? It is because it is such a boring game. It should have been called snooze rider.

Why is being honest such a bad thing? Have you played it? Got the twin galaxies record? No? I probably did accidentally on that last 10p in 95.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#278941 - 03/11/12 11:03 PM

> This was THE MOST boring laserdisc game EVER! I played in in Vegas at Circus Circus
> and it was boring, then in Bournemouth in 1995 and low and behold it was still
> boring. It would make a nice kiddie ride.
>
> It is a game you could probably just sit and watch on a LDP. It is as much fun as
> watching grass grow or paint to dry. I'm sure you can find a vid of it somewhere and
> sit on a motorcycle to complete the experience.
>
> If you want to rescue a true laserdisc classic, why not Freedom Fighter? Or Galaxian
> 3..... Time Gal......?

It's not their fault they forgot to ask all might Bizimonki what should be dumped, emulated or added to MAME (or any other emulator). Remember, God (Bizimonki) gave us free will and we can choose to do whatever we like and love.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#278943 - 03/11/12 11:04 PM

I'm sure many people think Pong is boring too. Many would love to see it back in MAME. Hell, it's probably more fun to some people than many more 'exciting' games.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter new [Re: Mojo2000]
#278958 - 03/12/12 12:56 AM

> > Spy Hunter is another game that gets that sort of reaction. It's simply impossible
> to
> > emulate it *properly* since the controls for it were unique.
> >
> > Could be solved through a reproduction control panel, sure, but I don't think
> > anyone's making those.
>
> Are you talking about feel on the mechanical/ergonomic level, or actual emulation on
> the software level? Regarding the former, IIRC, configuring my Logitech G25 steering
> wheel, shifter and pedals led to a reasonably authentic experience (as it did with
> Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin')...

Did you get enough snap back on the Logitech to jam a finger after a tough death? I can't count the number of games that ended with finger injuries. THAT would be truly authentic to me.

(I suck at spy hunter, but love it so...)

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

#278960 - 03/12/12 01:20 AM

> > You always bring joy to the conversation. If you don't have something nice to say,
> > then why not just STFU?
>
> It is accurate. The game is one big waste of time. If it was such a golden classic
> why isn't it emulated? It is because it is such a boring game. It should have been
> called snooze rider.
>
> Why is being honest such a bad thing? Have you played it? Got the twin galaxies
> record? No? I probably did accidentally on that last 10p in 95.

d00d it's your right to not like it but you don't need to shove your personal tastes upon everyone's face.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: ReadOnly]
#278962 - 03/12/12 01:28 AM

Don't mind Bob, it's not his fault.

His mother didn't hold him enough as a child.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: BIOS-D]
#278963 - 03/12/12 01:44 AM

> > This was THE MOST boring laserdisc game EVER! I played in in Vegas at Circus Circus
> > and it was boring, then in Bournemouth in 1995 and low and behold it was still
> > boring. It would make a nice kiddie ride.
> >
> > It is a game you could probably just sit and watch on a LDP. It is as much fun as
> > watching grass grow or paint to dry. I'm sure you can find a vid of it somewhere
> and
> > sit on a motorcycle to complete the experience.
> >
> > If you want to rescue a true laserdisc classic, why not Freedom Fighter? Or
> Galaxian
> > 3..... Time Gal......?
>
> It's not their fault they forgot to ask all might Bizimonki what should be dumped,
> emulated or added to MAME (or any other emulator). Remember, God (Bizimonki) gave us
> free will and we can choose to do whatever we like and love.

Yeah you guys need to fix that. Put it on your things to do.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#278964 - 03/12/12 01:46 AM

> Don't mind Bob, it's not his fault.
>
> His mother didn't hold him enough as a child.

Yeah she dropped me a few times, thanks for reminding me.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#278967 - 03/12/12 02:02 AM

> > > You always bring joy to the conversation. If you don't have something nice to
> say,
> > > then why not just STFU?
> >
> > It is accurate. The game is one big waste of time. If it was such a golden classic
> > why isn't it emulated? It is because it is such a boring game. It should have been
> > called snooze rider.
> >
> > Why is being honest such a bad thing? Have you played it? Got the twin galaxies
> > record? No? I probably did accidentally on that last 10p in 95.
>
> d00d it's your right to not like it but you don't need to shove your personal tastes
> upon everyone's face.

Everyone should have the right to give an Opinion, be it right or wrong. I loved Star Rider, even won a contest, the prize was Electric Dreams Soundtrack record, a poster and some tokens, also weekly tokens for getting high score each week.

Just because Bizimonki couldn't drive the bike around the first corner, doesn't mean anything, I could flip the tracks on Star Rider but I shouldn't gloat over it.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (03/12/12 02:03 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#278969 - 03/12/12 02:24 AM

> I loved Star
> Rider, even won a contest, the prize was Electric Dreams Soundtrack record, a poster
> and some tokens, also weekly tokens for getting high score each week.

Very awesome story. Those were indeed the Good ol Days

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#278974 - 03/12/12 03:02 AM

> Everyone should have the right to give an Opinion

Of course, but it's not about having an opinion, it's about how one expresses it. In the last sentence, he pretty much says it's not worth preserving/adding to MAME.

That's not my type of game, at all, nor do I intend to try it someday, but of course it must be preserved just as much as any other game, good or bad.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#278976 - 03/12/12 03:29 AM

This game HAS to be preserved, that is a given. The game is just dull and pointless, the joys of riding around on a track with pretty graphics. Yes it is an opinion, backed with actual experience of playing it.

Many operators just had it around as furniture. It was either off or just not working. I can think of four arcades local to me (at the time) that had them.

Freedom Fighter is a game I have not played. Is it any good? (well hopefully better than escape from cyber city) Probably not, but it is a game that needs preserving too.

Why all the hum glum? The game is being simulated right?

You should be rubbing your hands together for the 20gb image file.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#278982 - 03/12/12 03:58 AM

Game play wise yeah it's right up there with Dragon's lair and Space ace, there are people that can play those games by sound alone! Personally I never could be bothered to waste my tokens on those so called games.

Yet, you seem to think those games are worthy of spending countless hours to convert the latest DVDs to be able to use the footage in Daphne. Not that I really believe you have ever done any of it but you sure like to claim you have!

You are a lot of hot air and your opinion isn't worth hearing.

It's just the sad truth.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#279011 - 03/12/12 01:03 PM

> Game play wise yeah it's right up there with Dragon's lair and Space ace, there are
> people that can play those games by sound alone! Personally I never could be bothered
> to waste my tokens on those so called games.
>
> Yet, you seem to think those games are worthy of spending countless hours to convert
> the latest DVDs to be able to use the footage in Daphne. Not that I really believe
> you have ever done any of it but you sure like to claim you have!
>
> You are a lot of hot air and your opinion isn't worth hearing.
>
> It's just the sad truth.

Judging by that post you haven't got those Dragon's Lair 2 HD image files from a helpful soul. You have to get the BR version, rip them and convert them over. I won't part with them.

Quicker you do that, the quicker you will see that it isn't worth your time. Sorry to see that you are still bitter about that. That's life I'm afraid.

I probably get about 10 emails a month asking me for those very same image DL2 and SA files. The discs are only $8 each so I cannot see why you cannot just buy them.

Naoki
Send PM

#279019 - 03/12/12 01:36 PM

Because they're not the original source.

Anyway, I'm joining the wagon of "sick of hearing complaints". I do agree oyu have all the right to dislike the game, but please, don't argue with people who like it or call the game pointless. You only have to say "Not one of my favorites" or something along those lines...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Naoki]
#279030 - 03/12/12 03:42 PM

Quote:

Anyway, I'm joining the wagon of "sick of hearing complaints". I do agree you have all the right to dislike the game, but please, don't argue with people who like it or call the game pointless. You only have to say "Not one of my favorites" or something along those lines...

I agree. The only other two games I disliked was Qbert and Time Traveler. I disliked Qbert because I didn't understand the benefits of it in the arcades. I'm warming to it. Time Traveler/Mach3 Cockpit had that awful lens that made me puke after five minutes of game play. Yet I enjoyed the PC version.

But you are correct, dissing a game and disliking it is not the same. So in future if say "Not one of my favorites" it means that it totally stinks and is a complete waste of time.

Naoki
Send PM

#279072 - 03/12/12 11:14 PM

> Anyway, I'm joining the wagon of "sick of hearing complaints". I do agree you have
> all the right to dislike the game, but please, don't argue with people who like it or
> call the game pointless. You only have to say "Not one of my favorites" or something
> along those lines...
>
> I agree. The only other two games I disliked was Qbert and Time Traveler. I disliked
> Qbert because I didn't understand the benefits of it in the arcades. I'm warming to
> it. Time Traveler/Mach3 Cockpit had that awful lens that made me puke after five
> minutes of game play. Yet I enjoyed the PC version.
>
> But you are correct, dissing a game and disliking it is not the same. So in future if
> say "Not one of my favorites" it means that it totally stinks and is a complete waste
> of time.

Well, better to read that I suppose

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#279084 - 03/13/12 01:47 AM

Sorry but you obviously have me confused for someone else. Like I said I don't care for those games, I do have them in Daphne but I honestly haven't even loaded Daphne in over 2 years and have no interest in the versions you are talking about.

My earlier comment was simply refering to your posts on other boards.

PS: Robofficial says "YOU SUCK"

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#279092 - 03/13/12 02:32 AM

> If you want to rescue a true laserdisc classic, why not Freedom Fighter? Or Galaxian
> 3..... Time Gal......?

A few years back, wasn't some French guy working on transporting all of the Galaxian 3 parts, setting them up, and then actually working on emulating it?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Master O]
#279140 - 03/13/12 12:10 PM

Darth Nuno?

Somewhere in here.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#279141 - 03/13/12 12:11 PM

> Sorry but you obviously have me confused for someone else. Like I said I don't care
> for those games, I do have them in Daphne but I honestly haven't even loaded Daphne
> in over 2 years and have no interest in the versions you are talking about.
>
> My earlier comment was simply referring to your posts on other boards.
>
> PS: Robofficial says "YOU SUCK"

Thanks for sharing such kind words, but I am sure others here could do a lot better.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#279163 - 03/13/12 06:47 PM

> > PS: Robofficial says "YOU SUCK"
>
> Thanks for sharing such kind words, but I am sure others here could do a lot better.

As far as mameworld posters go, you're "Not one of my favorites".

DarthNuno
Arcade Life Styler'
Reged: 01/07/05
Loc: Singe's caste...in Belgium
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: Master O]
#280332 - 03/24/12 08:53 PM

> A few years back, wasn't some French guy working on transporting all of the Galaxian
> 3 parts, setting them up, and then actually working on emulating it?

Yeps, it's me ;-)

The 'Project Dragoon' laser disc is still in the hands of Warren, in order to rip the video footage in a 'mame compliant' format
This won't be too long I hope.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

How were you jamming a finger?..... new [Re: italie]
#280421 - 03/25/12 06:40 AM

I don't remember well enough.

In any case, a Star Wars yoke works great on 270 wheel games. Especially ones that had an analog throttle, the y axis can be used. Oh, of course, getting a yoke can be difficult......

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: OMG!!! Nightmares DO come true...(EDIT X2) new [Re: DarthNuno]
#280461 - 03/25/12 08:22 PM

> > A few years back, wasn't some French guy working on transporting all of the
> Galaxian
> > 3 parts, setting them up, and then actually working on emulating it?
>
> Yeps, it's me ;-)
>

Did anything ever come of that effort?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6089