View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Military guys, please help me understand
#289807 - 06/19/12 01:01 AM

I see video footage all the time of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars of enemies being killed by rocket and gun attacks from AC-130 gunships, Apache's and I assume drones. My question is how can the opposition neither hear, nor see the aircraft before they're killed?

It makes sense in drone attacks I suppose because they're so small and probably so high up that it's difficult to spot, and most of these missions I'm sure are done at night.

I used to live pretty close to a military airbase (Buckley) and routinely saw C-130 transports (which I believe the AC-130 is based off of) taking off and landing and they're extremely loud...and the Apache's were almost even louder. Most of the time the video clips that can be found on Youtube (or more likely LiveLeak) are from the top down perspective, circling the enemies. Even if the aircraft was extremely high in the air, it's likely it could still be heard.

Help me understand how this is done.

P.S. Don't want to start any political debates about the wars or anything like that...just something I've always been curious about.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: Hizzout]
#289816 - 06/19/12 04:16 AM

Because once you hear them, it's too late. You can't hide from them and you can't run... well you can try but it won't work. The Apache and other U.S. military aircraft are so sophisticated these days with night vision, infra red, heat sinking, smart bombs, bunker busters, and so on. The technology and fire power is so incredibly accurate and powerful.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#289817 - 06/19/12 04:31 AM Attachment: hs.jpg 71 KB (0 downloads)

Quote:

The Apache and other U.S. military aircraft are so sophisticated these days with night vision, infra red, heat sinking, smart bombs, bunker busters, and so on. The technology and fire power is so incredibly accurate and powerful.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#289822 - 06/19/12 05:27 AM

OK, Hizz, I was trying to avoid answering this question just because I don't want to keep living in my military past, but since you have both 1. a unique internet moniker that is also 2. kewl, I will do this solid for you.

I've never been on the ground as a target, so I can only speculate what goes thru their minds... several things explain why the targets are just lollygagging despite what should be an obvious noisy helicopter or airplane overhead...

1. Depending on the scenario and location, helicopters are ever-present, and over time you just accept them as part of the landscape.

2. They often know the "rules of engagement" the basic NATO forces are constrained by, and they know how to not cross THAT line openly while being observed... not realizing that special forces have different rules of engagement, and many of the publicized videos you see come from them.

3. Some of the special forces helicopters are amazingly quiet when in "whisper" mode, having personally more than once hovered over a group of people out in the open and observed them for the better part of an hour without them ever realizing we were there. If they hear anything at all, the sound is effectively dissipated enough to sound as if it is off in the distance, and not a nearby threat. Couple that with night-vision in a new moon, and they have no idea you are basically directly overhead. Landing at a civilian base would no doubt not be in whisper mode. Nothing hollywood doesn't already display routinely in movies and TV.

4. Having fought side-by-side with some of the middle eastern soldiers, one thing that blew me away is their complete lack of concern for getting killed. Their blasé attitude about death, and this is my opinion and observation not a generalization of all people of the region, stems not from bravery per se, but maybe a mix of suicidal tendencies coupled with a sense that they are not in control of their destiny, and if they die it is God's will. I've seen a guy walk slowly across an open hail of gun fire and arrive at the cover on the other side like, "ok, where to now." And I was like "That was stupid, you could have been killed," and all he said was "That would have been God's will, not mine."

4. Many of those targets are used to blending with civilian populations for cover, and assume they are still "blending" not aware that they have been identified as other-than-peaceful.

5. Lastly, just to be balanced, if the target truly isn't an enemy combatant, but the pilot thinks they are, then they would have no reason to fear the "friendly" aircraft overhead until its too late.

Anyway, that's my guess. Does this fit with your observation?

Edited by Gatinho (06/19/12 05:29 AM)

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: GatKong]
#289823 - 06/19/12 06:01 AM

Thanks for the insight.

Quote:

Some of the special forces helicopters are amazingly quiet when in "whisper" mode

When I used to live next to the airforce base, I'll never forget the time I was at a local dog park with my dog. I heard an unfamiliar jet engine sound and looked up and there was a Stealth B2 bomber directly overhead. I swear I never heard it at all until it was directly over my head. That was equally awesome and frightening.

My dad served in the Vietnam war, and he speaks very little of it but I remember watching a documentary about the war and they were showing some of the F8's and my dad mentioned that if you heard the aircraft, it was already too late.

Quote:

Having fought side-by-side with some of the middle eastern soldiers, one thing that blew me away is their complete lack of concern for getting killed

I've noticed the same with the recent revolutions that have been happening in recent years where men were throwing rocks at tanks.....ROCKS...at TANKS. I mean you have to know that the rock isn't going to do a thing, but there they are still giving away where they are, with little concern for their life. I guess being a well fed, middle american with no combat experience, or WAR time experience for that matter just can't understand (yet)

Quote:

Lastly, just to be balanced, if the target truly isn't an enemy combatant, but the pilot thinks they are, then they would have no reason to fear the "friendly" aircraft overhead until its too late.

As was witnessed in recent years with the journalists getting killed by an A10 I believe, when his shoulder mounted camera was mistaken for an RPG.

War is ugly and devastating. I purposefully didn't hotlink any of the videos that I was curious about because I really don't take pleasure in watching them, but I'm always baffled at how there must be some engine noise, or propeller noise in the distance, yet the combatants never seem concerned. Damn, as a kid after watching Red Dawn, any time I heard a helicopter or fighter plane, I scrambled for cover thinking we were being invaded. As an adult in a war torn country, I'm pretty sure I'd still do the same unless of course I was a soldier.

Thanks again for answering my question.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: aavada]
#289827 - 06/19/12 07:24 AM

> The Apache and other U.S. military aircraft are so sophisticated these days with
> night vision, infra red, heat sinking, smart bombs, bunker busters, and so on. The
> technology and fire power is so incredibly accurate and powerful.

it's brilliance like this that convinces me to keep the train rolling for just a bit longer...

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

#289830 - 06/19/12 09:33 AM

Heat sinking missiles can also hit tanks, not just aircraft.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#289839 - 06/19/12 02:40 PM

> Heat sinking missiles can also hit tanks, not just aircraft.

C

Edited by Tom Braider (06/19/12 02:41 PM)

LEVEL-4

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Reged: 04/11/12
Send PM

#289846 - 06/19/12 04:33 PM

When I was a kid I can remember a plane from Whiteman Airforce Base buzzed over me. It seemed really close, but I'm sure it wasn't as close as it seemed. I was looking east and there was no sound at all just a flash in the sky as plane went over me from behind. That alone scared me silly. Then there was a tremendous boom after it was gone. I will never forget that feeling.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: italie]
#289888 - 06/20/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

it's brilliance like this that convinces me to keep the train rolling for just a bit longer...

Care to elaborate?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#289891 - 06/20/12 04:34 AM

> it's brilliance like this that convinces me to keep the train rolling for just a bit
> longer...
> Care to elaborate?

*wo0000ooooosshhhh*

What was that?

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Military guys, please help me understand new [Re: Sune]
#289893 - 06/20/12 04:45 AM

> *wo0000ooooosshhhh*
>
> What was that?

Obviously the sound of a heat-sinking missle.

I can't help but feel that we're being trolled. Loving it either way.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

And 1 more reason new [Re: Hizzout]
#289894 - 06/20/12 05:31 AM

With todays technology, the saying that if you hear it, it's already too late is even more true than in the past because of PGMs.

Precision Guided Munition, for you civilian folk. Used to be Precision Guided Missiles, but the field is much broader now. There are attachments that can be strapped on to every day bombs, that basically turn them into a PGM.

Weapons can be released now from higher altitudes (bombs) and farther distances (Missiles) than ever before and hit the target with deadly accuracy (no pun intended).

Basically, if you see and hear the aircraft and you are not dead, you weren't the target (or too close to the target).

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#289896 - 06/20/12 05:39 AM Attachment: dejavu.jpg 32 KB (1 downloads)

> it's brilliance like this that convinces me to keep the train rolling for just a bit
> longer...
> Care to elaborate?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Hizzout
Send PM

#289898 - 06/20/12 06:28 AM

Old Sour Grapes?

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: And 1 more reason new [Re: URherenow]
#289918 - 06/20/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

With todays technology, the saying that if you hear it, it's already too late is even more true than in the past because of PGMs.

I'm gonna veer slightly off-topic.

I can't help but think of old flight sims of military aircraft that were the rage in the late-'80s to early '90s. My personal fave for pure geekiness was "LHX Attack Chopper" produced by Electronic Arts and involved Brent Iverson who led that [project as well as coded DeluxePaint II for the PC (the in-game graphics, particularly the smoke effect, was a signature thing that bonded the link between the two programs even more for me).

It had a nice simulation of the Apache. Plus, if you really wanted to, you could even target camels that were minding their own business. However, for the sake of gameplay, it does simply the mechanics of actually piloting a helicopter.

Besides, who can forget not just the simulations produced by Electronic Arts but also the classic "Falcon" series from Spectrum Holobyte or the numerous combat flight sims from Microprose?

I don't understand why these aren't big today. The current rigs can truly put together a killer flight combat sim. Sadly, I haven't been keeping track within the recent present time so someone may know a bit more of what's out there right now and guide me in the correct direction. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: And 1 more reason new [Re: URherenow]
#289921 - 06/20/12 07:09 PM

Again....equally awesome and frightening.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

You're sinking for a good combat flight sim? Try Dodonpachi (nt) new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289923 - 06/20/12 07:10 PM

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: You're sinking for a good combat flight sim? Try Dodonpachi (nt) new [Re: Pi]
#289924 - 06/20/12 07:37 PM

Quote:

You're sinking for a good combat flight sim? Try Dodonpachi

I have already played "Raptor: Call Of The Shadows" to death way back in the '90s. "Terminal Velocity" and "Fury3" were great arcade-style shmups that happened to use basic 3D flight mechanics which I also owned and played to death. To put it this way I'm looking for something like Sega's arcade port of "Choplifter" than "Dodonpachi".

Tonight, when I wind down, I'll load up LHX on the 486 and get some mission-based flight time in. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#289965 - 06/21/12 02:43 AM

> Old Sour Grapes?

Nah, only some guy.

Pages: 1

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4638