http://3dsnews.co/13673-10-reasons-why-video-games-were-better-in-the-80s

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: B2K24]
#301609 - 12/30/12 03:01 PM

"Almost every game had cheat codes" and "Most importantly, games were actually hard" are mutually exclusive, especially when using the Konami code as an example.

"Social media didn't constantly spoil them"

I suppose. The picture there leads me to believe they wanted to mention DLC. That's definitely something worth complaining about.

"Because most of them only cost a quarter to play"

Ok, though the rest of the list seems console focused.

"We mostly played them in the same room" and "So no anonymous children could berate us from thousands of miles away."

Agreed, but I don't play online, so...

"Controller layouts weren't totally confusing"

Subjective and game dependent.

"There was practicallly no voice acting, so there was practically no terrible voice acting."

I guess. Did any games in the 80s have real voice acting? Their example (Resident Evil) was released in 96. These days voice acting is generally quite good.

"No console wars meant no console trolls"

There have long been competing consoles. I suppose you could blame the internet for giving the trolls a worldwide voice, but that just makes them easier to ignore imo.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Allnatural]
#301614 - 12/30/12 03:49 PM

> "We mostly played them in the same room" and "So no anonymous children could berate
> us from thousands of miles away."

But what would an arcade be without some dickhead berating you? Arseholes were just a lot closer back then.

> "Controller layouts weren't totally confusing"
>
> Subjective and game dependent.

Yeah, there were plenty of stupid, confusing keyboard mappings that couldn't be edited back then, too. Lots of PC games decided F1 of all keys should do stuff. Then there were the weird things you had to do on consoles with limited buttons. Psychic World on Master system - didn't changing weapons require you to jump and then quickly hit down or some crap like that?

> "No console wars meant no console trolls"
>
> There have long been competing consoles. I suppose you could blame the internet for
> giving the trolls a worldwide voice, but that just makes them easier to ignore imo.

Who could forget NES/Master System or SNES/MegaDrive rivalry? There were plenty of console trolls.

swm3rd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

#301619 - 12/30/12 06:57 PM

Picture #7 was from Challenge Arcade when it was around at Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, PA.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: swm3rd]
#301620 - 12/30/12 07:09 PM

> Picture #7 was from Challenge Arcade when it was around at Berkshire Mall in
> Wyomissing, PA.

I miss that arcade, I only discovered it like a month before it closed. Planned a return trip, never made it back.

- Stiletto

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#301623 - 12/30/12 07:59 PM

Quote:

"There was practicallly no voice acting, so there was practically no terrible voice acting."

I guess. Did any games in the 80s have real voice acting?

The first thing that sprang to mind was "Captain America and The Avengers" and the voice acting was terrible in that too.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#301625 - 12/30/12 09:10 PM

There was *tons* of trash games too. Out of each 'gen' of games there is usually a handful of standout games. For every pac-man/galaga/dig dug there where 50 crap games. For the NES era for every smb/contra/zelda there were 50 rip off games that were just bad. Bad in gameplay and in what they did. I see some of these rom collections with 1500+ titles in them. I didnt even know there were that many games for these systems...

It is the same argument people make about music/movies/books. That it was 'better' 'back in the day'. For every top 10 hit there are thousands of bad music.

Even the good stuff has some bad play mechanics compared to what we have now. Take Star Control 2. Amazing game. Absolutely a pain to play and in some cases tedious to play.

We remember the good stuff and quickly forget the trash.

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#301626 - 12/30/12 09:55 PM

Allah damn it all! that was wrong and stupid and a waste of time.
blarg.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#301649 - 12/31/12 01:16 AM

> Who could forget NES/Master System or SNES/MegaDrive rivalry? There were plenty of
> console trolls.

I don't think the Master System had enough users to make for a real rivalry. I didn't know anyone who had one back in the day. We were aware that it existed, but the idea that it was better than the NES was simply preposterous.

SNES/Genesis was a proper rivalry, but it took place largely in the '90s.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Hizzout]
#301651 - 12/31/12 01:32 AM

That was 1991. Not that I agree with anything in the article.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Because Japan <nt> new [Re: B2K24]
#301653 - 12/31/12 01:42 AM

> http://3dsnews.co/13673-10-reasons-why-video-games-were-better-in-the-80s

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: DMala]
#301655 - 12/31/12 02:39 AM

> I don't think the Master System had enough users to make for a real rivalry. I didn't
> know anyone who had one back in the day. We were aware that it existed, but the idea
> that it was better than the NES was simply preposterous.

Must be a regional thing - there were probably more people with a Master System than a NES in Australia, and both systems had die-hard fans.

> SNES/Genesis was a proper rivalry, but it took place largely in the '90s.

And that one wasn't in Australia. The MegaDrive wasn't released that long before the SNES here, and looking at the two of them next to each other, there was no way you'd go for the MegaDrive. The SNES wiped the floor with everything else for that generation. If you had a MegaDrive, you didn't talk about it.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#301666 - 12/31/12 04:47 AM

>
> "No console wars meant no console trolls"
>
> There have long been competing consoles. I suppose you could blame the internet for
> giving the trolls a worldwide voice, but that just makes them easier to ignore imo.

If it did exist back in the 80's, it certainly wasn't as widespread and easy to come across as it is now. It is indeed a fact that with the advent of the internet everything is far more widespread and accessible to people than it was prior to the internet being available to just about everybody.

While the little list could have used some more in depth explanation for each item, I think what they were trying to get across with that item there was that the number of "console fanboys" that you were exposed to was limited by how many people you had in your school or hung out at the local arcade. If there were fanboy trolls out there, you'd maybe read something about it on occasion in a videogame magazine, or from some dolt in your school or at the arcade. These days, you open up your web browser and you are overwhelmed by posts on message boards, comments on articles, faceboook posts, twitter postings, etc.

If there was a console war between the NES/Sega Master System, or the SNES/Genesis, the only one I really knew of was the SNES/Genesis due to Sega's idea to create one with their marketing campaign. But with the XBox/PS2 and 360/PS3 console wars, I can't avoid hearing banter from the retards who think they are better than other retards simply because of what system they play games on.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Jdurgi]
#301667 - 12/31/12 05:10 AM

The NES/Master System talk didn't really make it out of my neighborhood for me personally. Everyone had a Nintendo and a couple of kids had a Master System. It was considered neat but inferior, not much else. No war. I remember a person or 2 talking about how much better their Genesis was but that was a short lived Genesis vs. NES thing. When the SNES came out they shut up and when the same games were ported to both systems they really shut up.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301668 - 12/31/12 05:19 AM

> The NES/Master System talk didn't really make it out of my neighborhood for me
> personally. Everyone had a Nintendo and a couple of kids had a Master System. It was
> considered neat but inferior, not much else. No war. I remember a person or 2 talking
> about how much better their Genesis was but that was a short lived Genesis vs. NES
> thing. When the SNES came out they shut up and when the same games were ported to
> both systems they really shut up.

My argument was that the only reason the SNES was better was because it took so long to come out. Although it could also be argued that the Genesis came out too early.

But, when it came to the arcade, between Nintendo and SEGA... Well, sorry Nintendo.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (12/31/12 05:25 AM)

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: 10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the ’80s new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#301669 - 12/31/12 05:29 AM

Only because of quantity though, Nintendo's choice to only put out a few games ever. If you took it just on average quality per game Nintendo has no competition. Well, Cave maybe. I was replying to Jdurgi's internet bit though.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#301670 - 12/31/12 06:10 AM

> If you took it just on average quality per game Nintendo has no competition.

Such as the PlayChoice 10s.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#301671 - 12/31/12 06:16 AM

Obviously those don't count as real arcade games, but if you must throw them in, Sega put out way more of them with Mega-Tech and Mega-Play.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#301677 - 12/31/12 09:02 AM

> Obviously those don't count as real arcade games, but if you must throw them in, Sega
> put out way more of them with Mega-Tech and Mega-Play.

I'll take your word for it, but I've never seen a single one those in any of the arcades I've been in, nor places that had arcade games (such as convenience stores, movie theaters, bowling alleys, pool halls, etc). Perhaps they were prevalent in the more major cities or something.

Not that I've seen so many Playchoice-10s (I can think of at least 3 or 4 places where I've seen them), but that's what stands out in my mind when I think of Nintendo and arcades. Yeah, Mario and Donkey Kong, but...

Take SEGA. Shinobi, Hang-On (& Super), Out-Run, Golden-Axe, Shadow Dancer, Galaxy Force (II), After Burner, Altered Beast, just to name a few... I'm sure most people would consider them Arcade hits! If Nintendo had an equal or better offering then I'd like to see that list. I am genuinely curious.

With Sega's arcade dominance - this fact swayed my opinion in the Sega home consoles. Yet, admittedly, I would be disappointed anytime the word 'Arcade' or 'Arcade Quality' was thrown around with some of the home ports.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#301680 - 12/31/12 09:17 AM

They are the best thing to ever happen to arcades and have put out some great stuff but a lot of it got pretty meh at times. To be honest I'm not crazy about 1 single Naomi game. I'd take Mario Bros. over the whole library.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#301685 - 12/31/12 01:22 PM

> My argument was that the only reason the SNES was better was because it took so long
> to come out. Although it could also be argued that the Genesis came out too early.

MegaDrive was built to compete with PC Engine in Japan. US was a sideshow. Nintendo didn't see the need to get into that fight immediately so they sat around until they had something awesome.

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Send PM

Yer all a buncha crack smokin punksass bitches new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301703 - 12/31/12 11:55 PM

I say that with real affection

The real console war of the 80's (before the crash, before Nintendo)was Atari vs Itellivision vs Colecovision. I was a war of bits and blood, and when it was over there were few survivors.
And those that did survive were changed forever.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yer all a buncha crack smokin punksass bitches new [Re: Darth Mario]
#301704 - 01/01/13 12:58 AM

I suppose there is a difference in war types with co. vs. co. and user vs. user. I sure as shit never saw a user war in that era. It was everybody has 2600 and if you have anything else on top of it that rules, but nothing touches the arcade. In fact the first warring anything I remember is from the Genesis ads and then the NeoGeo dog. I suppose the TG-16 bragging about bits prelames it all. It's all super fucking gay in hindsight.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Yer all a buncha crack smokin punksass bitches new [Re: Smitdogg]
#301708 - 01/01/13 02:16 AM

Haha, yes, about as mean as it got in those days was George Plimpton calling out the 2600 for its graphics. I got an Intellivision first in '79 and played it into the ground. Laugh.

http://youtu.be/aYLly625cXE

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yer all a buncha crack smokin punksass bitches new [Re: John IV]
#301711 - 01/01/13 02:56 AM

I like how they all look like different games on the same system and none of them could possibly play like the real thing.

The things that stuck out and impressed me at the time other than particularly good 2600 games and arcade machines were seeing Popeye on Coleco, I couldn't believe you could get graphics that good at home, and seeing some games on the Apple II that were so different and cool than anything I had seen before, that was wild. There was some Buck Rogers game that blew me away too at a friend of my mom's house, only saw it once, don't remember the computer but I remember playing it the whole afternoon we were there, in complete heaven.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#301714 - 01/01/13 03:34 AM

Yes, Colecovision was a game changer for getting closer to arcade graphics. Their whole marketing blitz that Christmas ('82) was 'look at our Donkey Kong'.. and it was great. Yeah they had a good version of Buck Rogers and Zaxxon too.

These are all adequately emulated in MESS if you're ever in the mood to see it, btw.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#301723 - 01/01/13 08:17 AM

> There was some
> Buck Rogers game that blew me away too at a friend of my mom's house, only saw it
> once, don't remember the computer but I remember playing it the whole afternoon we
> were there, in complete heaven.

Was it Super Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom on the Coleco ADAM?
http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=50

I played it a lot, but the problem I had with the game was that there was an end-of-level bonus that was 1000 points x the level number (if my memory is correct). However, you get an extra ship like every 10 or 15 thousand points. Eventually, if you last long enough in the game, you start getting extra ships every level (or more) and it becomes almost impossible to lose unless you're a REALLY bad player. I think I eventually gave up playing after level 50 or something.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yer all a buncha crack smokin punksass bitches new [Re: krick]
#301724 - 01/01/13 08:25 AM

That's how I remember it. For sure it was a computer and not Coleco/console. So either ADAM or the PC version. From the raving reviews and distro scheme I would say ADAM.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2405